Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

The Professor being interviewed wanted to offshore his paper work, the daily routines he wants to get someone else to do, so he could spend more time teaching students.

I really wanted to ask who is going to be paying to listen when we have no jobs to pay for it, huge debts after it., and no jobs at the end of the education he was so thoughtfully providing.

Sadly I don't think he'd thought that far ahead.

We could offshore his department and just have the students watch a video conference from a singaporean international school.

I guess that means we don't need the professor to remain in his position either. More money saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Another Worst Straya election update

Got home to one of these.

This thread clued me into this bullshit, thanks guys.

What's this in aid of, again? Just building a database of people who postal vote?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's a sexual fetish thing. You pay $1.75 million and you get to be humiliated by the most powerful man in the world.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Let me know when you figure out the reading thing, kid. The rest of the kindergarten are ahead of you.

Actually it is you who is wrong and dumb

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Offshore education? Ok sure, import cheap overseas trained teachers and the locals can go pick fruit on the work for the dole program.

Not quite. The idea is to train teachers up here, and then send them offshore to teach other people. Same with a bunch of other industries. Train them to our standards and send them overseas to teach others, with only the vaguest sniff of cultural imperialism about it.

My b-i-l does this a bit. He is a metallurgist who gets sent to china by groups like fortesque to make sure that their rail line order is manufactured according to spec.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
In Australia service exports is code for higher education (international students coming here to study) and tourism, both of which sectors are aimed at foreign markets and are relatively sizable. There is other stuff that better economies do at the top end of value chains in services (e.g. design services, research services) but it's mostly those two for Oz.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 2, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

WA One Nation candidate under fire over 'sexually explicit interests'

Another One Nation candidate has come under fire after the contents of his Facebook page revealed interests in a number of sexually explicit pages and lewd groups.

Cameron Bartkowski is running for One Nation in the Upper House in the South West region.

Radio 6PR uncovered some of his Facebook likes which show pages such as 'hot booty ebony', 'world class babes', 'hot girls worldwide', 'I cuckhold all my boyfriends and 'f**k my ex'.

He has liked dozens of bawdy and lewd Facebook pages.

Following calls to Mr Bartkowski, his Facebook page was deleted on Thursday afternoon.

Radio 6PR Perth Live presenter Oliver Peterson spoke to Mr Bartkowski who said it shouldn't matter what's on his Facebook page.

He also revealed he hadn't even paid for his One Nation candidacy yet.

One Nation leader and founder Pauline Hanson has previously said she was personally involved in vetting the candidates for the upcoming March election.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-one-nations-candidate-under-fire-over-sexually-explicit-interests-on-facebook-20170202-gu4biw.html

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

Another Worst Straya election update

Got home to one of these.

This thread clued me into this bullshit, thanks guys.

What's this in aid of, again? Just building a database of people who postal vote?

Found one of those in my mailbox this arvo, it's still sitting on my counter unopened, thanks for saving me the trouble!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

well why not posted:

If i were a teen now I'd be learning a second or even third language in hope of making a career teaching English somewhere in Asia. It's one of the few things that we can do better than other countries in SE Asia.

My mom does this. China just throws her a house free of charge just for knowing English and being in China. The perks atm are immense.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

it'll be the 'hot booty ebony' page that gets him dumped as a candidate

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
i wonder if turnbull has the balls to cancel the joint strike fighter deal or something in retaliation
actually no i don't of course he doesn't

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

Not quite. The idea is to train teachers up here, and then send them offshore to teach other people. Same with a bunch of other industries. Train them to our standards and send them overseas to teach others, with only the vaguest sniff of cultural imperialism about it.

My b-i-l does this a bit. He is a metallurgist who gets sent to china by groups like fortesque to make sure that their rail line order is manufactured according to spec.

Oh cool, so we just copy the Philippines and send our youth into the Dubai slave pits?

That could work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DancingShade posted:

Oh cool, so we just copy the Philippines and send our youth into the Dubai slave pits?

That could work.

Don't give the conservatives ideas

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i love the weekly one nation candidate expulsions, they're all that keep me going

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BBJoey posted:

i love the weekly one nation candidate expulsions, they're all that keep me going

Sorry they are daily now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

i wonder if turnbull has the balls to cancel the joint strike fighter deal or something in retaliation
actually no i don't of course he doesn't

Haha yes. First the tpp then that

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

In Australia service exports is code for higher education (international students coming here to study) and tourism, both of which sectors are aimed at foreign markets and are relatively sizable. There is other stuff that better economies do at the top end of value chains in services (e.g. design services, research services) but it's mostly those two for Oz.

It isn't just higher ed. Schooling (even primary) in Australia is very attractive to Chinese with money. Partly it is a solid classically liberal education in a very safe place, partly it is the first rung on the family immigration ladder.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So the WH Press Secretary thinks we are lead by Prime Minister Trum(p)bull.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

"I've been watching the alliance relationship for more than 30 years now and I think this is as difficult a period as we've seen since the so-called MX missile crisis of the early 1980s," said Peter Jennings, the director of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

"I think it's sensible for us to be working through all manner of contingencies, which includes a temporary freezing of the alliance, a sort of lull in alliance cooperation," Mr Jennings warned.

"Ordinarily you'd say that was very unexpected, but I just think we've got to be prepared for any contingency under the new presidency".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-03/trumps-tirade-a-wake-up-call-for-australia-us-defence-relations/8237114

:allears:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'd never heard of the mx missile crisis

quote:

SECRET US plan to test MX missiles by firing them from California to the coast of Australia was signed off on by then prime minister Malcolm Fraser.
And it can be revealed that the federal cabinet agreed to keep the intercontinental ballistic missile tests secret because it was "preferable for the matter not to become an election issue".

Uhhhh....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Uhhhh....
Bob Hawke eventually refused permission. That was when it became a 'crisis'.

The refugee deal issue

Some people need to realise that there are broadly three simultaneous narratives going on. The American domestic one. Trump makes a whole bunch of noise about the 'bad deal' but plays along anyway. Locals blame Obama, cheer Trump for being a no nonsense straight shooter. The American/Australian international relationship one. Business as usual. The Australian domestic one. Newscorpse are trying to make Turdball look as bad as possible when the reality is business as usual. If it suited them this would be a major win for Turdball standing up against the American president. Because it doesn't we get option A.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Rodney Culleton was never elected to Senate, High Court rules

After a protracted legal battle that began almost as soon as he was elected, Rod Culleton's election has been ruled ineligible by the High Court.

The unanimous full bench decision, sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns, puts an end to the former One Nation senator's battle to stay in the upper house, regardless of the outcome of any of his other court battles, which includes challenging a federal court bankruptcy ruling.

Mr Culleton was not in court when the judgment was handed down.

But the Parliament will not know who takes his place until after a recount, with the electoral commission now to consider the ballots as if Mr Culleton's name did not exist on the ticket.

His brother-in-law, Peter Georgiou, placed as the number two candidate for One Nation, is considered most likely to fill the vacancy, with Mr Culleton having previously vowed to serve as his chief-of-staff.

Mr Culleton quit One Nation in early December, amid reports of a growing rift between himself, and party leader, Pauline Hanson, which emerged after Senator Hanson gave her party's support to the government motion referring Mr Culleton's election to the High Court, Under section 44 of the constitution.

He accused the party of "un-Australian behaviour" and having betrayed their election promises.

Senator Hanson described her former senator as a "pain in my backside" and said she was happy to see him leave the party.

The court ordered the Commonwealth to pay Mr Culleton's legal costs.

More to come

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rodney-culleton-was-never-elected-to-senate-high-court-rules-20170202-gu4kfu.html

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Culleton's election last year was ruled void by the High Court.

IIRC this means One Nation don't get to choose his replacement, and it will likely now be Culleton's brother-in-law :allears:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Solemn Sloth posted:

Uhhhh....

they wouldn't have had nuclear material in them

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Hockey heads to the White House amid refugee deal row

Ambassador Joe Hockey heads to the White House for talks with senior Trump advisers Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus amid ongoing discussions over the agreement to resettle refugees from Manus Island and Nauru.

Bwahahahahahah

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bwahahahahahah

Yeah the deal is definitely off now.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Can anyone post this article:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/02/02/turnbulls-refugee-deal-and-whats-left-of-his-authority-collapses/

Morbidly curious.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Ahahaha I just saw the best and probably most scarily accurate reasoning for why Trump chewed out Turnbull.

The :siren: Liberal :siren: Party.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
This was never not going to blow up, when it was announced during the lame duck period was there actually anyone who thought it was going to happen? Let alone anyone in the government who knows how this poo poo works.

Edit: I'm pretty sure at least one person pointed that out in this thread at the time of the announcement, it may even have been me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
C

L

E

A

N

C

O

A

L

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why would we need clean energy - can't you do the maths. If we install just one new coal plant, and it is emitting 20% LESS Co2 emissions, then if we put in 5 then that is a 100% reduction in our carbon emissions.

Literally if we put in 5 coal fired power plants we will be a zero emissions country with the words best green credentials.

I don't understand why we would even need a renewable energy fund if we can achieve that !

This is the problem with Greens today - they are so hell bent on using wind power (a technology which predates even coal and steam, its literally 15th century wind mills) that when a new technology like coal fired power plants come along offering to make us 100% Green with zero emissions they reject it out of some sort of idealistic dream to have old sail cloth strapped to lumber creaking beside the river making grain.

How is that going to help us in a war with China ?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's great because even the Liberal's usual cheerleaders, like business councils, are against it, saying that it's too expensive to implement and no bank will touch it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

It's great because even the Liberal's usual cheerleaders, like business councils, are against it, saying that it's too expensive to implement and no bank will touch it

Luckily there is the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, which funds clean technology like C L E A N C O A L

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
It's called clean coal dummy, of course it applies for funding from the clean energy finance corp. can't you read!!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bloody greens insisting on using solar and geothermal power, technology literally billions of years old

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Luckily there is the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, which funds clean technology like C L E A N C O A L

I'm dying internally too much

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DancingShade posted:

Offshore finance? Yeah maybe.

too loving late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Turnbull's refugee deal (and what's left of his authority) collapses following Trump call

In an unprecedented low in US-Australian relations, Donald Trump has humiliated Malcolm Turnbull via leaked details of an abusive phone call between the men and a tweeted abandonment of any refugee resettlement deal.

In a remarkable and unprecedented collapse of confidentiality and decorum between Australia and the United States, President Donald Trump has backed away from any deal with the Turnbull government to resettle refugees from Manus Island and Nauru — and the White House has leaked extraordinary and embarrassing details of an abruptly terminated phone call between the two leaders on Sunday.

After days of assuring the media that Trump had agreed to honour the Obama administration’s deal with Turnbull to take approximately 1250 refugees out of Australia’s offshore processing camps, the government found itself humiliated when Trump, this afternoon (Australian time), tweeted:

quote:

“Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!”

Despite the government’s assurances, doubt had been repeatedly cast on whether a firm commitment had been secured, with mixed signals coming from the US State Department and White House officials about whether Trump had agreed to honour it (Trump’s already-notorious spokesman Sean Spicer indicated this week it would be honoured but with “extreme vetting” of refugees), agreed only for the time being to honour it, or that a decision was yet to be made.

That didn’t prevent the Turnbull government from spinning the “agreement” as a major achievement with the new administration. In a story dropped to The Australian yesterday, it was portrayed as “a particular favour” and “a special favour to Australia” — suggesting Turnbull was securing results through quiet diplomacy despite criticism of his silence on Trump’s ban on Muslims entering the United States.

However, in a bombshell report in The Washington Post this morning, extensive details of the call between Trump and Turnbull over the deal were revealed — details that seem unlikely to have come from anyone outside the Oval Office during the call. The report suggests Trump was bitterly opposed to agreeing to honour the deal, and addressed Turnbull with overt hostility, claiming the refugee agreement was “the worst deal ever”, that he was “going to get killed” politically and that Australia was in effect sending the “next Boston bombers” to America.

Turnbull refused to comment on the report today, but background sources within the government quickly confirmed the tenor of the report to media outlets, albeit with the caveats that Trump had definitively agreed to honour the commitment by the previous administration, and the claim that the animosity during the phone call was because of Turnbull “standing up” to Trump. Even that fig leaf was torn away by Trump’s tweet, which now leaves any deal in serious doubt.

In an attempt to play down the development, Turnbull this afternoon insisted he had an agreement with Trump and dismissed Trump’s tweet as “that is his tweet”, repeated that he would not be engaging in public commentary but also insisted the call did not end abruptly but “courteously”. He also professed to be “disappointed” that the details of the call had been leaked.

In retrospect, leaking the phone call’s details to the Washington Post seems to have been a calculated White House tactic to provide distance between Trump and the refugee deal — with Trump’s tweet administering the coup de grace. The outcome is deeply humiliating for the beleaguered Turnbull, who has consistently maintained that he will not comment on Trump but instead keep his communications and views on Trump’s policies confidential.

What he failed to understand is that Trump evidently feels no such compunction — not even for a fellow conservative and Prime Minister of a loyal vassal state of the US like Australia.

• Locked thread