Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Government MPs working to bring same-sex marriage policy to a head over next fortnight

Liberal Party MPs who support same-sex marriage will push to abandon the government's plebiscite policy over the next fortnight in favour of a free vote on the floor of Parliament, in a move that could divide the Coalition and create a fresh political headache for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Fairfax Media understands Liberal MPs including Dean Smith, Warren Entsch, Tim Wilson, Trent Zimmerman, Trevor Evans and Melissa Price are among those leading discussions on how to advance the issue.

The push to allow a free vote is being driven by the backbench, though some cabinet ministers are aware the discussions are underway.

The majority of the Turnbull cabinet, including Mr Turnbull, personally support same-sex marriage, but the issue has been dormant since late last year.

The argument in favour of a free vote is that Liberal MPs have historically had a conscience vote on such issues and that the position adopted under Tony Abbott, which bound MPs to support a plebiscite, was an aberration.

In November last year, Mr Wilson said in a speech that he had "discharged" his responsibility to vote for the proposed February 11 plebiscite – a vote that was defeated – and that he believed a vote could be held before the next election. Supporters believe Mr Wilson's argument is correct and they are now entitled to a free vote.

They argue that once the plebiscite date passes, and a Senate inquiry into the bill proposed by Attorney-General George Brandis is handed down in mid-February, the Liberal party room should debate the issue in the second week of the new parliamentary year, commencing February 13.

Significantly, they hope to bring the issue to a vote this year – possibly as soon as the end of March – to deal with the issue and get it off the political agenda ahead of the next election.
"No one wants this issue to go in into the May budget session, so lets deal with this quickly and relatively painlessly," one supporter of the move said.

"This could be world's biggest pain between now and the next poll."

Another MP said compromises that allow religious exemptions would be necessary and that "the feeling is that this issue won't go away, it is obstructing the government's agenda and there is now a willingness to revisit this".

"No one can have everything they want. But if the Parliament can agree on a compromise, that is a good thing."

As the backbench group agitates for change, same-sex marriage campaigners Australians for Equality will on Sunday launch a new advertising campaign across TV, newspapers and on billboards in strategic locations such as Canberra Airport, to greet MPs when they arrive on Monday for the resumption of Parliament.

Australians for Equality director Tiernan Brady said the campaign would be the biggest, most expensive one of its kind launched in Australia and focus on "changing the law to reflect Australian values".

Mr Brady said the push to legalise same-sex marriage would not go away and the ad campaign would focus on the idea that "politicians should do their jobs" and vote on the issue.

"Australians are for marriage equality," he said. "They are not unsure, they are not a little in favour, it's 65 per cent-plus in favour. Australia is in the top 10 countries in the world in favour of marriage equality."

Some Liberal Party MPs Fairfax Media has spoken to who oppose legalising same-sex marriage believe the law change is inevitable and that it may be time for the change to happen via a free vote given the issue sucks up oxygen and distracts from the Coalition's core agenda.

If a free vote was allowed for Liberal Party MPs, it is likely the laws would be passed with the support of Labor, the Greens and crossbench MPs. It would see Australia join other anglophone countries including the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Canada and Ireland in allowing the unions.

But other more conservative MPs would fight tooth and nail to stop any fresh push and warned a civil war could erupt if Mr Turnbull did not stop the push.

Another complication is the Coalition agreement between the Liberal Party and Nationals specifies that a plebiscite be held, suggesting any attempt to engineer a free vote could set off a brawl between the two governing parties.

As recently as December, Mr Turnbull said the plebiscite remained Coalition policy and insisted it was the mechanism by which same-sex marriage could become reality.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...203-gu4t75.html

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
About loving time!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

:getin:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So there are two marks on the wall on the rental property I'm leaving and the landlord has said we have to repaint the whole room.

He can get hosed right? (qld)

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Zenithe posted:

So there are two marks on the wall on the rental property I'm leaving and the landlord has said we have to repaint the whole room.

Depending on how big/obvious they are and how long you've lived there they may fall under reasonable wear and tear, or you may be on the hook for fixing the marks. That doesn't mean you have to repaint the room though, it means you have to make the marks go away and the specifics of how that's accomplished are up for discussion. I'm in SA so I'm not entirely sure what the specifics of the QLD equivalent tenancies act says but it looks like there's a few tenant advocacy services you would be well served to get in touch with.

Really though it boils down to: how soon do you need your bond money?

Night Shade fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 4, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Good luck!
Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is call 1300 366 311 (qld tenants authority) or visit Level 23, 179 Turbot Street Brisbane QLD to get the answer from a authority.

* Whenever you move into a property, take photos, list every little thing on the entry report, so the the landlord can get hosed if they try to take your bong.

Edit: I like bong, and will leave that there, I mean bond.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Yeah tried rta but not open until Monday. I don't need the bond back any time soon either. Landlord is being really unhelpful.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

BCR posted:

the the landlord can get hosed if they try to take your bong

:okpos:

Zenithe posted:

I don't need the bond back any time soon either. Landlord is being really unhelpful.

We were in much the same boat two tenancies ago. Had an office chair start wearing down the floor, reported it and offered to fix it as soon as we noticed it starting to happen. The landlord then sat on it for three years and tried to charge us for resurfacing the entire floor of the house because it was one big hardwood floor. We told them to go jump, they disputed the bond claim, and then dropped the dispute shortly before the tribunal actually heard it and we got our full bond back.

Would have been happy to chip in for a reasonable portion of the resurfacing too but no they had to be dicks about it.

e: the SA tenancy authority told us it was entirely reasonable wear and tear too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I love how a landlord/real estate will try and pin you for wear and tear. As if you arent supposed to actually use the house you pay an exorbitant amount of money for each week.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

My girlfriend and her idiot housemate had to fight a landlord for bond back and really it's almost been a year and the landlord has been a gigantic piece of poo poo (don't bet on getting it back)

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Recoome posted:

My girlfriend and her idiot housemate had to fight a landlord for bond back and really it's almost been a year and the landlord has been a gigantic piece of poo poo (don't bet on getting it back)

So long as you didn't maliciously damage the house, and whatever damage is clearly from reasonable wear and tear. They'll get that money back in the magistrates court, probably before that in mediation. I went through mediation once and the judge sat us down for a moment, flicked through the photos and charges said 'I'd expect these charges if this house had been used as a drug den, this seems entirely reasonable. Go talk amongst yourselves and sort something out or I'll be grumpy". Real estate agent was happy to take a hundred dollars.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Recoome posted:

I'm not sure how it is in your state, but for us all we had to do was file a bond claim with the tenancies office that the landlord hadn't countersigned, and they then had 30 days to file a dispute or we got it all back.

Or are you already in a dispute and they're dragging it out?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sean Spicer called The Australian Prime Minister Trumball *again* today. This is deliberate now, bullying of a a friend and ally.

The good news is, we won't be going to the Iran invasion after this I suspect.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Naw, I bet he secretly 'ships them and keeps accidentally using their portmanteau couple name. :3:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
One day our politicians both left and the right wing will finally realise the only way to settle this issue is to conduct the plebiscite. That way everyone has had their say and no one can complain. The hate speech argument is rubbish it's a bit like saying if you make negative comments about footy team A, they won't play. If people are free to say what they are thinking, then you have the opportunity to challenge them and maybe change their views on the subject. But if they are not able to express themselves freely, then you will not know what they think and therefore there is very little opportunity to change their views

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Konomex posted:

So long as you didn't maliciously damage the house, and whatever damage is clearly from reasonable wear and tear. They'll get that money back in the magistrates court, probably before that in mediation. I went through mediation once and the judge sat us down for a moment, flicked through the photos and charges said 'I'd expect these charges if this house had been used as a drug den, this seems entirely reasonable. Go talk amongst yourselves and sort something out or I'll be grumpy". Real estate agent was happy to take a hundred dollars.

Yeah the "damage" wasn't actually caused by my girlfriend or anything, as there are pictures which prove this. Basically the Landlord was niggling over everything to try to withhold the bond. Apparently even the rental agency was like "ughhhhh"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

One day our politicians both left and the right wing will finally realise the only way to settle this issue is to conduct the plebiscite. That way everyone has had their say and no one can complain. The hate speech argument is rubbish it's a bit like saying if you make negative comments about footy team A, they won't play. If people are free to say what they are thinking, then you have the opportunity to challenge them and maybe change their views on the subject. But if they are not able to express themselves freely, then you will not know what they think and therefore there is very little opportunity to change their views

Source your quotes.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yes, except footy teams don't consist of impressionable depressed children who take arguments such as 'homosexuals are sexual deviants hell bent on touching kids and will all burn in hell' to heart and commit suicide because of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As moves continue to decriminalise abortion in Queensland, please take a moment to reflect on how lucky were all are not to be living in the land of freedom, equality and justice:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That's dreadful

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Sorry, wrong

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 4, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

in a surprising development, the anti-abortion crowd in QLD are using "full-term abortions" as an argument against decriminalising abortion (wow)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Anyone who is anti abortion should be legally required to adopt at least two unwanted children.
(I want to emphasize: not have - adopt)

Or if they wish to opt out, they should be required to pay for their financial support. Any two. It can be considered similar to additional taxation if you tick "yes" in the box that says "I don't like abortion".

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Bet anyone anti-choice would change their minds real quick if that stance punched them in the wallet.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

in a surprising development, the anti-abortion crowd in QLD are using "full-term abortions" as an argument against decriminalising abortion (wow)

This exact same crowd will turn around and demand the death penalty for petty theft.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Konomex posted:

This exact same crowd will turn around and demand the death penalty for petty theft.

Speaking of which, here's a rather good Guardian article about the hanging of Ronald Ryan, the last judicial execution in Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/04/goodbye-my-darlings-remembering-the-trauma-of-australias-last-execution

quote:

Lately I’ve been reading through some harrowing material researching the death penalty. I thought I was becoming desensitised. Then I read about Ryan’s daughters in their lounge room with their mum, waiting for eight o’clock. They held on to the hope that the phone would ring and there would be a reprieve. One of them noticed she’d torn her handkerchief to shreds. Thirteen-year-old Wendy Ryan couldn’t face school. She wandered the streets, distraught.

On the eve of his execution Ryan wrote a letter to his daughters on a roll of toilet paper. It passed through the hands of journalist Evan Whitton on its way to the Ryan family. According to Whitton, these final words read: “Goodbye, my darlings, and may you get the love and luck you all deserve. I am not afraid, and I think the credit is largely yours. Lovingly yours, Dad.”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
did you know that Australia had a president now

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/827939622265159680

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Truly an unpresidented occasion in world diplomacy.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Mods, please make all references to the Leader of Australia as The President of Australia Trumball.

Frankly, I applaud the US Government's support of the Republican movement.

In other news, The Future of Shopping is here today. A shop made up of nothing but Vending machines. No staff (apart from the delivery guy to load it up, and the owner presumably to collect the money). No theft. The perfect solution to any small shop. The Future is here today.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 5, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Spotted at the Queen Vic Market: Bill Shorten with family and, separately, a group of young women wearing black shirts with large white 'PRO LIFE' text.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

quote:

“Family law is high on my agenda, I just think it needs a complete overhaul,” the One Nation leader told News Corp. “It needs court-approved premarital agreements on finance and parental issues. So before someone goes into a relationship or a marriage, you must have a premarital agreement. It would be confidential [and lodged with courts].

Labor will never trade preferences with One Nation, says Tanya Plibersek
Read more
“We’ve got to free up our court system. It’s overloaded. A lot of judgments aren’t being handed down for years.”

The One Nation leader said she would also cut the number of politicians, limit migration, introduce an Australian identity card and axe the GST and consider a flat 2% tax rate if she ran the country.

I just don't know what to say, it's just a wall of crazy.

how do they think a 2% flat tax will pay for anything? That's less than the Medicare budget.

norp fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 5, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kurtofan posted:

Well Turnbull did get his main political start as head of the Republican movement

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

norp posted:

how do they think a 2% flat tax will pay for anything? That's less than the Medicare budget.
They think that the government will have to spend less on things. If you're paying a public servant 100k but they're giving 25k back in tax, why not just give them 75k tax free? Congrats, you just reduced the size of government by 25k.

I had a look at their 1998 version of the proposal and it has some hilariously huge errors, like getting the amount public sector remuneration costs the government wrong by tens of billions.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Comstar posted:

In other news, The Future of Shopping is here today. A shop made up of nothing but Vending machines. No staff (apart from the delivery guy to load it up, and the owner presumably to collect the money). No theft. The perfect solution to any small shop. The Future is here today.

So he's reinvented Ye Olde Automat, only it's more difficult to restock everything?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

So he's reinvented Ye Olde Automat, only it's more difficult to restock everything?

Someone finally did it? My dream store. Except a crap version because it's actually vending machines. I want a store that is just screens to order stuff then it's all put in a box for you to take home.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:nws:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Didn't David Oldfield state in an interview back in the day that One Nation would solve budget issues by just printing more money?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They forgot the ring. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Synthbuttrange posted:

They forgot the ring. :smith:

They always forget the ring

• Locked thread