Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Turnbull should just buy one of those Halal Snack Packs for 1.75 million next election in front of a camera.

Would be a better use of his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also in the OP: I think you should have used characters from Huey The Helicopter for the party that seems to love them so much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

The deputy prime minister, Barnaby Joyce, says it is “morally prudent” for Australia to build new coal-fired plants and he would have no problem if taxpayers provided support.

LNP policies are morally prudent according to their special brand of economic looting based ideology.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Daily Mail saying he founded a political club called Fascism Forever! When he was in school. He also chose the 'the illegal we do immediately, the unconstitutional etc.' Kissinger quote for his yearbook. Pretty big red flags.

That just means he's a well read scholar etc hurf durf.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

:yossame:

I don't envy DFAT analysts right now. Do we suck up to the oppressive and corrupt communist regime or the crazy and probably senile fascist.

As if the mob in charge would even listen to them. Who does the LNP want to cosy up to? Follow the donation trails and personal business interests.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

Sure, what's your plan? Cos I don't see any good options.

Drink heavily before the world goes Mad Max.

Know where your leather jacket is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could have seen Turnbull's face as he tried being all puffed up statesman like at first then realised he was being talked down to by a shouty reality TV show host who considered him to be less than nothing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

When someone says exporting service industries, I think overseas call centers.

Australia has lots of services industries to export such as

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Service industries are 68% of the Australian economy.

To compare - mining is around 7-8%.

If we offshore the service industry, there'll be nothing left.

Offshore finance? Yeah maybe.

Offshore our.. tourism? I guess we can box up Uluru and send it to China.

Offshore our media? Well it's all been destroyed or taken over by Rupert so sure why not.

Offshore education? Ok sure, import cheap overseas trained teachers and the locals can go pick fruit on the work for the dole program.

Offshore logistics? I don't see a need for much for this locally once the previous stuff happens.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

The Professor being interviewed wanted to offshore his paper work, the daily routines he wants to get someone else to do, so he could spend more time teaching students.

I really wanted to ask who is going to be paying to listen when we have no jobs to pay for it, huge debts after it., and no jobs at the end of the education he was so thoughtfully providing.

Sadly I don't think he'd thought that far ahead.

We could offshore his department and just have the students watch a video conference from a singaporean international school.

I guess that means we don't need the professor to remain in his position either. More money saved!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NPR Journalizard posted:

Not quite. The idea is to train teachers up here, and then send them offshore to teach other people. Same with a bunch of other industries. Train them to our standards and send them overseas to teach others, with only the vaguest sniff of cultural imperialism about it.

My b-i-l does this a bit. He is a metallurgist who gets sent to china by groups like fortesque to make sure that their rail line order is manufactured according to spec.

Oh cool, so we just copy the Philippines and send our youth into the Dubai slave pits?

That could work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trump humiliating Turnbull publicly is just a classic power display move.

No damage was done because lol it's Turnbull. Nobody here cares about him either.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"We have to shift the culture away from molesting and raping children and that's a far more difficult thing to do" spat out the paraphrasing machine on the dot matrix printer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

Mods need to change it so any mention of Trumbull is converted to Trumbull automatically.

Immediately, if not sooner.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

I didn't think qps could top removing all the bins as a cure to terrorism

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2017/02/02/launch-report-drug-dealer-online-tool/

Literally, a busybody hotline. Like, this is the image used in their article.

I honestly can't tell if it's serious or just a way to free up policelink from the busybodies.

This would be ideal for the village in Hot Fuzz.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who is anti abortion should be legally required to adopt at least two unwanted children.
(I want to emphasize: not have - adopt)

Or if they wish to opt out, they should be required to pay for their financial support. Any two. It can be considered similar to additional taxation if you tick "yes" in the box that says "I don't like abortion".

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bet anyone anti-choice would change their minds real quick if that stance punched them in the wallet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hahahah what the gently caress.

Also is there really anything to be scraped in the area between the Coalition and One Nation?

Barnacles.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

Sorry I'm misreading this. Why does it have Christian Brothers listed at 22% when its supposed to be about 98%?

Rounding errors.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually Trump was elected because social progress happened too fast I'll have you know. Don't think about the fact that they've had multiple centuries to acclimate to black people being human, and were bitching and killing people all through that acclimation, it's still too fast!

That part of Cloud Atlas in Future Korea where the rich literally dined on the cannibalized corpses of the working class was more a set of guiding principles than a warning.

The weak are meat and the strong do eat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hahaha. Imagine the teeth grinding going on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

The Labour Shadow AG wrote to the AG asking if he's aware that a minister is breaking the constitution (for making money from the rental of a Post Office I think) and is thus ineligible for his seat. Meaning a by-election and the possible loss of majority government. Uh oh.

Sounds awkward.

:dukedog:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This is amazing work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Details of the controversial deal were confirmed by senior Liberals yesterday, with Nationals claiming privately they had been double crossed.

Under the plan, the Liberals would preference One Nation above the Nationals in the Upper House country regions, and in return, they are demanding One Nation would preference the Liberals above Labor in all Lower House seats they were contesting.

Mr Barnett, who in February warned voters against voting One Nation, yesterday declined to comment.

That's all we know about the deal at this point.

And so it begins.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

Wait. What? The Nationals and Libs are in coalition. I don't think the Libs could even remotely win this if they dumped the Nationals off, even though they are a dying party. They've been arguing over a few things for a while now, but... is this the coalition in WA disintegrating?

Fascinating.

Looks like it. Put it this way, if after NOT getting the lib preferences first the nats stay in coalition anyway that'll just formally cement their status as "Bitch".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

The time has come* for the Nats to join up with the Greens.

* the walrus said

Nats are done. It's just old white men waiting to die off and they hosed their own constituents for short term personal gain.

I can see a long slow death but they'll just bleed white into total obscurity unless they pull an Australian Democrats and get a total wipeout in some election.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

extremist policies such as 'let's not torture refugees' and 'the heatwave is bad, actually'

If you aren't making refugee blood offerings on the sacrificial altar in the grand temple of coal that makes you a dangerous heretic extremist in the eyes of the current government.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Periphery posted:

Troll him at election time. Ask him for proof that he's who he says he is (photo with the date and forum username or something like that). Document it. Then just casually ask a bunch of questions bout stuff and document all the horrible poo poo he says. Then at election time dump his horrible responses on twitter or anonymously to the media.

This is the correct answer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

hahahaha

what, me worry?

Wow. I didn't realise Alfred E. Neuman was a real person but holy poo poo, that's photo evidence and I can no longer live in denial.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Reading List: The Alan Jones Style Guide

I bet his mom is so proud when she shows him off to her friends at the bridge club.

He doesn't fully understand why yet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Got to say, this took balls.

:staredog: You weren't exaggerating.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SuddenCactus posted:

He's holding a ballpoint pen. Surely they could have asked him to hold a fountain pen.

Yeah and maybe he could have folded his pocket napkin for the dinner party he isn't at or washed his greasy face before taking a photo but we have what we have.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I bet George would pronounce the g.

He would probably just pronounce it as "meat pie, chips and sauce".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny seeing people in finance trying to mimic the daily mail writing style.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...plication%2Fpdf

GST going up being applied to low value imports.

I wonder how long this will last once every single wharf in the country is log jammed with low value goods stacking ten cargo containers high awaiting customs GST processing.

Complete economic shutdown :v:

I've read through that multiple times and it seems to assume every commercial entity and one person garage business in the entire world will magically sign up for an ABN. Boy are they in for a surprise.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 20, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The only Doctor Who episodes I can recall that touched on global warming was the one where car emission filters were an integral component to a hostile alien invasion (go Volkswagon?) and a classic one called Inferno which was something about "don't screw around with the earth's core unless you know what you're doing".

I'm thinking Georgie Boy is just trying to appear hip and with it to appeal to the hipster demographic. Rock bands and all that.

His next interview will probably be him extolling the virtues of denim trousers, also known as "jeans".

Also to show my true unrestrained Doctor Who nerd-dom the Doctor is fully aware nothing anyone does matters because ultimately the timelines are in constant flux since the time war so history gets rewritten all the time. He just plays along with everyone he meets and pretends they matter to stave off his own loneliness and insanity from having the entire matrix locked away in his brain from when he blew up Gallifrey the first time around :toot:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 20, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They're just copying an existing business model from the USA as used by media intermediary companies/brokers.

Is it scummy? Well the tax breaks are. I have to wonder which LNP backer/donor they have relations with.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

You're ignoring the fact that some points in time are fixed you idiot, you child

If you have a web of time you don't need to care about those because you can just reset everything whenever you want.

This was the entire reason the Time Lord war with "the enemy" was such a big deal (these weren't the daleks) - they had their own web of time and rival historical process.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ora Tzo posted:

Before I let you all continue squabbling on about Doctor Who lets all agree Blake's 7 was better.

drat fine show and holds up remarkably well too. As has been suggested already it's a sad testament that you could never make something like it these days without heavy censorship of the core theme.

Imagine all the killjoys screaming about a terrorist protagonist who is anti authoritarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

With the way the lore has expanded, there absolutely will also be a female doctor at some point, and one who isn't white.

I want this simply due to the massive amount of crying that will result.

Also if Michelle Gomez was some kind of prototype for gender bending established characters as Missy/Master then it worked pretty well.

Though I do kind of wish we had a clone of Anthony Ainsley to pull out of the fridge. Maybe when Missy starts melting down entire alien races into a cauldron of goop to make a psychic power source she'll reach his level.

• Locked thread