Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm still giggling at the thought of Turnbull shoveling one and three-quarter million dollars of his own money into the election and squeaking in by a single seat

Makes his petulant meltdown of an acceptance speech even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Offshore education? Ok sure, import cheap overseas trained teachers and the locals can go pick fruit on the work for the dole program.

Not quite. The idea is to train teachers up here, and then send them offshore to teach other people. Same with a bunch of other industries. Train them to our standards and send them overseas to teach others, with only the vaguest sniff of cultural imperialism about it.

My b-i-l does this a bit. He is a metallurgist who gets sent to china by groups like fortesque to make sure that their rail line order is manufactured according to spec.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bwahahahahahah

Yeah the deal is definitely off now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hinch has flipped on the ABCC, giving the government numbers in the senate

Hinch said he flipped because construction companies told him it was killing them, ironic given the last time the ABCC was active it literally killed people.

Companies are clearly more important that the people who do the work.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

and furthermore he was actually pretty good. hth.
Take off your rose coloured glasses.

https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/senate/victoria/ricky_muir

Voted very strongly against

A minerals resource rent tax
Giving apprentices access to a $20,000 loan
Implementing refugee and protection conventions
More scrutiny of intelligence services & police
More scrutiny of the Australian Defence Force
Putting a time limit on immigration detention
Requiring Parliamentary approval of military deployments
Restricting donations to political parties
Senate electoral reform

Voted very strongly for

An emissions reduction fund
Charging postgraduate research students fees
Decreasing availability of welfare payments
Live animal export
Maintaining or increasing CSIRO funding
Making Australians working overseas repay their student debts
Temporary protection visas

I think the problem is that the overwhelming majority of senators are so poo poo that when one who is merely mediocre comes in, its surprising and a breath of fresh air. That doesnt make them good though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Come the gently caress on, he was getting phone called by children in detention begging him to vote for this.

Forgot about this. Doesnt mean TPVs are good policy though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Scarecow posted:

Holy loving poo poo news about the NBN never fails to send me into a frothing rage every time

:psyboom: Words just loving fail me every time

Turns out that they are slowly and quietly putting more and more fibre to the kerb in, but in any construction thats already been announced, you are pretty much hosed. If nothing has been announced for your area yet, you may still get something resembling a decent internet connection. Still going to be using copper for the last stretch, but its better than whatever shite they are peddling now.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Periphery posted:

I wonder what they'd do if that last little bit of copper was mysteriously stolen or destroyed.

Honestly not too sure. Would depend on whether or not they considered the copper that runs from the kerb to the house the property of the utility or not.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to that (Liv Colman for Thirteenth Doctor, please and thank you). But the gist of the story and character thus far has always been some brilliant white dude coming in and solving problems, and as much as I like the show and what else it's saying it's one of those stories that's always got this slight tinge of colonialism that's hard to shake. .

How does Martha Jones fit into this, because the Doctor would have been completely hosed without her.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure where I'm betting the failure was in my council ballot getting lost. It was either Australia Post losing it, or the VEC actually getting my ballot but being unable to read my handwriting.

This, more than anything else I see (and I see a lot), makes me hate a democratic process. I did my part and voted, it's these assholes that hosed it up and lost my vote, and yet I'm the one that's supposed to foot the bill.

Thats not a failure of democracy, thats a failure of a government dept

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ora Tzo posted:

Imagine how hosed we would be if Morrison managed such a crisis.
Such a crisis if handled delicately wouldn't reflect badly on Labor, much like the GFC.

Hasnt stopped the LNP bashing the ALP for the last loving decade about how much debt they left behind.

Hasnt stopped fuckhead tories swallowing that line and regurgitating it to all and sundry

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Moon Atari posted:

Hey auspol thread, I stopped paying attention to australian politics awhile back because it was all too depressing, but I want to get back into following it now for some masochistic reason. Are they any sources or blogs you recommend? I used to get most of my news from abc but they have gone to crap, and I don't want to pay for crikey.

Newmatilda is ok, theguardian is ok and has a fantastic cartoonist, AIMN is ok. depending on where you are, community run newspapers arent awful.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Coming out in favour of penalty rates wouldn't be credible, and coming out against them wouldn't help. If he wants to attack Shorten that he'll have to do it over something he actually believes in, and which is popular with the electorate, and that the right wing of the party will let him talk about. It doesn't leave much.

Pretty much limits it to Laura Norder and security theatre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

This is your gentle reminder to sign up for booth duty if you are in WA

• Locked thread