Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Cory's voice is like ASMR for me. He's been reading Zerohedge too. http://www.corybernardi.com/podcast

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Pfft Naomi Robinson did her own hair and makeup at Beaconsfield, suck it up princesses.

Put did she catch the lizard that was sitting on her shoulder?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Also Pauline will make the QR trains run on time :godwin:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Ministers ordered to stop talking about same-sex marriage

The Turnbull ministry has been ordered to put a lid on talk of moves to reopen the issue of same-sex marriage, with Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce yesterday reading the riot act to colleagues.

The Australian has learned that the Nationals leader addressed a meeting of the frontbench yesterday before a return to parliament today, warning that continued discussion of fringe issues such as marriage equality would be the government’s road to ruin.

A Liberal frontbench source in the meeting confirmed Mr Joyce told the room MPs had to stop talking about issues that appealed to Sydney’s inner-city “Oxford Street”.

“It was a spray,” one Liberal frontbencher said.

“He said if we continue to be distracted by issues which only appeal to people in George Street and Oxford Street but not in the outer suburbs and the regions, things will not improve,” another said.

“He then specifically raised gay marriage as an example.”

Malcolm Turnbull was said to have nodded in agreement as Mr Joyce addressed colleagues, in a clear signal to moderate MPs agitating for a shift in policy to a free vote on same-sex marriage there would be no deviation from the Coalition policy of a plebiscite. “The mood of the room was clearly anger that the agenda we tried to set last week had been derailed by a few MPs trying to push the issue again,” another source in the meeting said.

They said there were several ministers prepared to resign if there was any contemplation of shifting on the policy of a plebiscite to decide the issue.

It has been reported that several moderate MPs among the Prime Minister’s support base were agitating to bring the issue back to the Coalition partyroom within the next two weeks. They want Mr Turnbull to dump the ­national plebiscite, which would allow the people to decide the outcome, in favour of the Labor policy of a free vote in the parliament under which MPs would not be bound by party policy.

Mr Turnbull has insisted there will be no change of policy and blamed Labor for its refusal to ­support the plebiscite as the ­reason the issue had not been ­resolved.

Newly elected Victorian MP Tim Wilson is among those leading the charge and has argued that he had honoured a commitment to vote for the plebiscite in accordance with party policy when it was introduced and defeated late last year. This, he suggested, had freed him from his obligations and now allowed him to push for a free vote.

Other MPs named as behind the push included West Australians Dean Smith and Melissa Price, Trent Zimmerman, a first-term MP from NSW, and Queenslanders Warren Entsch and Trevor Price. Colleagues of cabinet minister Christopher Pyne had accused him of encouraging the move.

Mr Pyne said yesterday a ­national vote could have been held this Saturday had Labor not blocked the plebiscite.

“Labor defeated the plebiscite bill for marriage equality last year in a very ‘cutting-off-one’s-nose-to-spite-one’s-face’ move,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...1a4540af910ad6d

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 7, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KJBar/status/828779943676895233

TFW no seat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When are we all getting Bernardi avatars?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In the party room, at the news of the death of the gold pass, I’m told one MP joked “we will all have to get corporate sponsorship”.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Been :f5h: Warnie's Twitter all day. Still nothing.

Its a national speaking tour.

Opera house Syd April 20

Riverside Theatre Perth April 22

Festival Theatre Adel April 24

Concert Hall Bris April 29

Canberra Theatre May 1

Hamer Hall Melbourne May 11 & 12

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://youtu.be/YBKZcHw1VK0

oh boy 5 weeks of this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A: “It seems to me you’re invested ... You’d rather crush Tony Abbott than save the Liberals. You’ve got to get over that. Tony Abbott made terrible mistakes, and if you’re trying to get me to say that Tony Abbott didn’t, you’ll fail.”

M: “I’m not trying to get you to say anything, Andrew, I’m just telling the truth as it is. You’re citing polls when they’re convenient for you. The polls were showing that he would have lost the election. You’re telling me the polls were saying that Julia Gillard was going to lose the election.”

A: “I think you’re completely misrepresenting the role of polls.”

M: “No, you’re on the one hand saying that polls were telling us that Julia Gillard was going to lose ...”

A: “How about I make my point and then tell me I’m wrong, instead of telling me I’m wrong before I’ve actually made it. That might be helpful. The polls didn’t say Tony Abbott would lose, they said he was losing. That’s a different kettle of fish. The polls right now say that Malcolm Turnbull is losing.”

M: “But make up your mind.”

A: “I think we’re in a profitless debate. You seem to be very keen to establish Tony Abbott can’t come back.”

M: “But you’re very keen to say he can come back.”

A: “Let me finish my point. Whether Tony Abbott can or can’t come back is almost besides the point.”

M: “But it’s your only point. It’s the only point you’ve been making for the last six months.”

A: “No it’s not, and if you’d let me finish you’d see the point I am making. The point I am making is the first question for the Liberals is can they win with Malcolm Turnbull. That’s the first point. And that’s the point that’s been highlighted last week by his many stumbles and this week by the polls again and Cory Bernardi. These are the issues. Tony Abbott doesn’t even come into the picture.”

M: “You need to make up your mind about the polls.”

A: “Don’t attack me.”

M: “I’m not attacking you. You’re saying on the one hand you don’t believe the polls when they come to Tony Abbott but you do believe the polls now when they come to Malcolm Turnbull.”

A: “Miranda, this is so frustrating. You ascribe to me a view that I don’t hold, then when I correct it, instead of listening and accepting it, you once again say the same thing.”

M: “Oh, Andrew, we’re not getting anywhere here. Did you or did you not tell us that you thought that Julia Gillard would not have won the election based on polls?”

A: “Let me make my point. Please let me make my points otherwise there’s no point to the conversation. Let me make my points or there’s no point to the conversation and I may as well go and do something else.”

M: “Did you or did you not say that?”

A: “Put your question and let me answer it. Why are you arguing with me? I’ve tried to tell you ...”

M: “Andrew, this is fruitless.”

A: “I know. For christ sake, Miranda. If you give me a question I’ll answer it, and if you keep interrupting me I’m afraid I’m going to hang up.”

M: “We’ve got five weeks, we have to get on.”

A: “Miranda, in that case you’re describing a living hell for me. It has to work like this. You ask me a question, I give an answer, you can agree with me or not agree with me, but please don’t interrupt me while I’m doing it.”

M: “Well, Andrew, this is my show so you don’t dictate to me what I do.”

A: “No, it’s our show. Well if it’s your show how about you do it without me.”

M: “Is that what you want to do?”

A: “I think it is if you’re going to go on like this.”

M: “Well don’t dictate to me what we do. I mean you’re actually behaving ...”

A: “Then let me speak. If you want me on, let me speak.”

M: “Alright, go ahead.”

A: “No, I’m just saying, you give a question, let me speak and give an answer.”

M: “I thought this was a discussion.”

A: “Well funnily enough I’ve managed to do it very nicely with every other fill-in except you. Now let’s throw to the listeners and see whether they think this method of discussion is profitless.”

M: “Alright, well let’s do that when I’m ready to do that.”

A: “No, I want to listen to the listeners now.”

Things then calmed down a bit, with the pair taking a number of calls from listeners before finally, apparently, agreeing to disagree. This is how it finished up.

M: “Well, Andrew, it’s been fantastic talking to you, even though we did have a stoush, but that was going to be on the cards. It’s been boiling for a while. Let’s try again tomorrow and see how we go.”

A: “Let’s see.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Marshal of the drone air force, Ahmed Fahour is worth a pretty penny...

http://www.theage.com.au/business/senate-committee-denies-australia-post-attempt-to-keep-ahmed-fahours-salary-secret-20170207-gu7n05.html
That's a fair bit of coin whoring for eBay.

A very weird cat is good old Ahmed. Leaves you wondering why he would be trusted with a burnt match let alone a bank/postal service.

I will use this information when I rant on their facebook page about why my Express post Package hasn't gone anywhere in 2 days.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Blame people in safety vests laughing at your package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwtM-kSpPrI

You would think they are defusing a loving bomb.

They could use a smaller drone, they only need to deliver the card that said they attempted delivery.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AusConservPty/status/828908738086043648

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours posted:

I wonder if he'll ever realise how weak this burn is.

He smoked ice with Richard Pratt?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

The Labour Shadow AG wrote to the AG asking if he's aware that a minister is breaking the constitution (for making money from the rental of a Post Office I think) and is thus ineligible for his seat. Meaning a by-election and the possible loss of majority government. Uh oh.

quote:

David Gillespie, a Turnbull government minister, under constitutional cloud

The future of one of Malcolm Turnbull's ministers is under a constitutional cloud, due to concerns one of his real estate arrangements could disqualify him from Federal Parliament.

In circumstances that echo the Bob Day case currently before the High Court, experts believe Assistant Health Minister David Gillespie could have an indirect financial interest in the Commonwealth - grounds for removal from federal office under section 44(v) of the constitution.

Dr Gillespie owns a small suburban shopping complex at Lighthouse Beach in Port Macquarie, on the NSW north coast. One of the shops is an outlet of Australia Post – a government-owned corporation.

The Nationals MP says he and his wife, through their company Goldenboot, lease the space to a local woman who is an Australia Post licensee – meaning he has no direct financial link to the postal service.

"I have no leases or deals with Australia Post," Dr Gillespie told Fairfax Media.

But UNSW constitutional law expert George Williams believes Dr Gillespie could still be in trouble – particularly if the High Court settles on a broad definition of "indirect pecuniary interest" in the Bob Day test case.

In that scenario the government should seek "urgent legal advice" about Dr Gillespie's eligibility, he says.

"This does raise questions, there's no doubt about that," Professor Williams said. "These arrangements could certainly constitute an indirect pecuniary interest. I think there is an arguable case here."

If Dr Gillespie was referred to the High Court and subsequently disqualified it would spark a byelection in his seat of Lyne.

The Nationals would be likely to retain the seat but it would still be an enormous political headache for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

Labor's legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus has written to Attorney-General George Brandis about the situation, saying any doubts about Dr Gillespie's eligibility are "a very grave matter", given the finely-balanced Parliament.

"This would not only affect Mr Gillespie but would imperil the government's majority and further weaken the Prime Minister's grip on power," he said in the letter. "I seek your urgent confirmation as to whether you have sought any advice from the Solicitor-General about this highly concerning matter, which raises questions about the constitutional integrity of the government."

Constitutional law expert Anne Twomey, from the University of Sydney, agrees the outcome of the Bob Day case will be critical in determining whether arrangements such as Dr Gillespie's are allowed.

"It will depend very much upon the principles the court applies," Professor Twomey said.

"For example, it might limit the application of the provision to cases where there is a risk of the government using the pecuniary interest to influence the member or where the member is using his or her office to obtain benefits from the government. We will not know until the Day case is decided."

However Professor Twomey says contracts that don't personally involve the MP are less likely to breach section 44(v) "as it would not be likely to fall within the mischief that the provision was directed at".

Section 44(v) of the constitution says any person who "has any direct or indirect pecuniary interest in any agreement with the Public Service of the Commonwealth otherwise than as a member and in common with the other members of an incorporated company consisting of more than 25 persons shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives".

The section is an anti-corruption measure, designed to stop people sitting in Parliament and at the same time making money through contracts with the Commonwealth. But it's also imprecise, and the limits of what's meant by "indirect pecuniary interest" have never been tested by the full bench of the High Court.

The court is considering whether former Family First senator Bob Day was ineligible to be elected because he had an indirect financial interest over a taxpayer-funded electorate office leased to the Department of Finance. The government was given legal advice his arrangements could have breached the section.

The case returned to the High Court on Tuesday. Comment on Dr Gillespie's case has been sought from Attorney-General George Brandis.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/students-among-worstaffected-by-proposed-newstart-changes-20170208-gu8jt8.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh and the ACT gets a bit of Jervis bay.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Appropos of nothing, here is a long interesting article about a guy who went to Nauru to work on their government's budget in 2008: https://thomasthethinkengine.com/2016/06/17/treasury-island/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is that what they mean by change from within?

oh god entryism, soon Adani will be run by trots.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/829556224228077568

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/829882153949290497

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What % of Dominos stores are franchisee owned and what % are corporate owned?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for January:

2017: J

2016: JFMAMJJASOND

2015: JFMAMJJASOND

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last month's thread:

Mr Culleton had a small bag of coke stored in the bag and She then proceeds to place it in the Representative dept office. 

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKADdK2c8j4

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

MORE than 43,000 full-time employees – the equivalent of almost a capacity crowd at Suncorp Stadium

Hmmm how do we explain large numbers to these cavemen?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 13, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Lifejackets while rock fishing.

Do this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is going on with Ross Cameron?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
AFR reporting that the government is looking at cutting the capital gains tax discount.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nonstoptom/status/831991997585989632

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

The CGT discount exists for a good reason, I guess they're happy to sacrifice that as long as they get to keep their precious negative gearing though

lol why's that?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Concatenation posted:

hahahaha

what, me worry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoqrgc_0cM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Because it is intended to ensure people aren't taxed for gains arising from inflation. Even if you don't agree with it, at least there is some rationale unlike negative gearing which exists purely because some cunts in suits want more money

Yeah but inflation isn't 50%

• Locked thread