Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Konomex posted:

This exact same crowd will turn around and demand the death penalty for petty theft.

Speaking of which, here's a rather good Guardian article about the hanging of Ronald Ryan, the last judicial execution in Australia:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/04/goodbye-my-darlings-remembering-the-trauma-of-australias-last-execution

quote:

Lately I’ve been reading through some harrowing material researching the death penalty. I thought I was becoming desensitised. Then I read about Ryan’s daughters in their lounge room with their mum, waiting for eight o’clock. They held on to the hope that the phone would ring and there would be a reprieve. One of them noticed she’d torn her handkerchief to shreds. Thirteen-year-old Wendy Ryan couldn’t face school. She wandered the streets, distraught.

On the eve of his execution Ryan wrote a letter to his daughters on a roll of toilet paper. It passed through the hands of journalist Evan Whitton on its way to the Ryan family. According to Whitton, these final words read: “Goodbye, my darlings, and may you get the love and luck you all deserve. I am not afraid, and I think the credit is largely yours. Lovingly yours, Dad.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/27/centrelink-recipients-data-released-by-department-to-counter-public-criticism

i can't even

quote:

Senior government officials have approved the release of a Centrelink recipient’s personal information to counter her public criticism of the department.

Welfare recipient Andie Fox wrote an article for Fairfax Media earlier this month setting out her difficulties dealing with the agency after she began receiving calls from a debt collector.

But, over the weekend, she was shocked to discover details of her interactions with Centrelink and claim history set out – with some information she says is incorrect – in a separate article by Fairfax Media.

The article, headlined “Centrelink is an easy target for complaining but there are two sides to every story”, used information released by Centrelink to challenge Fox’s claims.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://theaimn.com/lnp-welfare-card-true-facts-exposed-corruption-disguised-philanthropy/

This is rather a wall-of-text, but still worth reading. If the allegations within are true, it speaks to astounding levels of corruption with no mechanism to address them. No sources are provided in the article, however. Does anyone with a deeper understanding of these issues care to comment?

quote:

In effect, LNP members and supporters are obtaining benefits from government funds that are intended for the welfare of Australian citizens. Public money is being transferred to private individuals and corporations with deep connections with the LNP in exchange for no apparent benefit to the public and in exchange for donations to the LNP. Given that the legal definition of corruption includes the conduct of a public official who uses his position to procure some benefit for himself or for another person, contrary to his duty and to the rights of others, and that may involve collusion, it is open to conclude that the LNP Welfare Card programme is little more than that. That is, corruption.

Unfortunately, with the very weak democracy we have in Australia, there is no way to hold those involved in this scam to account or to have any corruption independently investigated or prosecuted at a federal level. No federal ICAC or anti-corruption body exists. Only the Federal Police can investigate corruption as the criminal offence of defrauding the Commonwealth. Given that the Federal Police are controlled by the LNP Government and beholding to the LNP Government for their funding, and given the LNP and its cronies are the beneficiaries of the card programme, any such investigation by the Federal Police is unlikely to ever occur.

• Locked thread