Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Before Times posted:

Was it someone ITT that got a failure-to-vote notice for a council election? Was it a Victorian election?

Because it looks like 3723 voters in south-west Victoria alone received failure to vote notices from the Victorian Electoral Commission following the local council elections in October. Am in the process of reading Victorian Hansard for work and this was mentioned. Might be a good basis for appealing the fine.

My fiancé got a fine for not voting on whether to allow a liquor license for a restaurant in a designated dry zone because her council is the most nimby rear end bunch of loving wasps ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Ora Tzo posted:

Imagine how hosed we would be if Morrison managed such a crisis.
Such a crisis if handled delicately wouldn't reflect badly on Labor, much like the GFC.

I hate to break this to you but the most common perception of the handling of the GFC is LABAH WASTE PINK BATTS SCHOOL HALLS DEFICIT

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

For whatever reason I felt the need to yell into the gaping void of Australia politics in relative anonymity.

:same:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

To whoever said not even bill shorten could gently caress this up(an opinion so stupid I guess it must be Anidav)

The young guy shorten invited up on stage is:
An SDA delegate
An ALP campaign volunteer
Seen posing with Bill Shorten last election
Under an EBA rather than the award conditions

:bravo:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

here's the thing though: no normal people care about poo poo like this

You're right, the average voter sees through media bullshit, can discern facts from fiction, and is capable of determining and following their own self interest. That's why the coalition has never been voted into power.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

My great hope from all this is that a recession hits that finally breaks the spell of people thinking the libs are better economic managers

Any recession would clearly be the fault of the labor waste we inherited (half a loving decade ago)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...223-gujvvr.html

Here is the article about this if anyone hasn't seen it.

:negative:

Can anyone in the thread explain how the SDA became so useless and bad?

The SDA leadership was infiltrated by hardline Catholics who were concerned about the presence of communism in the Australian union movement and control has been passed down to their direct descendants.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

idk seems like the perfect time to hitch your wagon to the trumpocalypse if you ask me

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

As for the story that Trent isn't affected by the penalty rates change, wow you guys are dense. He is on a rolled up base rate in his EBA to compensate for penalty rates. If penalty rates are lowered, when the pay rates are renegotiated, that rolled up rate will go down because there'll be less to compensate for and pass the better off overall test. He is affected.
Yes and I am sure that this will come across and not be drowned out by the screeches of HES A LIAR

It definitely wasn't a massive fuckup by the ALP in picking someone in his position.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

What happens if he sprouts in office?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/835092086869274624

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anthony Green has run his numbers on the Queensland redistribution. On last elections result the new distributions would leave Labor +3, LNP +2 and KAP -1

It's all a bit useless given one nation is going to run a clean sweep of the state though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tasmantor posted:

Just read on my Facebook that the sky rail on the Frankston line has been defeated? By the looks of the age article it was too appease swing seats. These stations are so close to the water going down can't be a good idea. Tell me there's more than just house prices in the opposition. The opposition group claims noise pollution and "proper long term planning" are what they are worried about. Also "respect for local residence" which I read as house prices.

No, that's exactly it. Elevated is a much better choice for those crossings on basically every metric but NIMBYs gonna nimby

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

deter putton next pm

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

How many months will he last.

Heavily depends on whether you keep him in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Is Andrew hastie the ex soldier? I can only assume he picked up syphilis on tour, never got treated and this divine right spiel is the result

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol if you don't think Australia is dumb enough to get behind deter putton

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also Christ Fairfax are pathetic excuses for journalists, as bad as news corp

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Coincidentally I finally got around to subscribing to crikey this week

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

he's gonna defect to phon to save his seat and the libs are gonna be in minority government

Then they choose to chase the mutant inbred vote ever right wards even as Labor have a crushing 2pp lead

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Threatening the electorate has worked so well in the past, ask the former member for Indigo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

Then you attack the adjudicator and his ruling.

"This man is paid more than $10,000 a week and stated outright he has no idea how cutting penalty rates will affect the lives over three quarters of a million Australians. But that didn't stop him from cutting their pay, a move which will cause untold thousands to fall into poverty."

So why didn't you look into who the independent decision makers are before pledging to back their decision biff snorter?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Gerry Harvey has called Amazon a parasite who adds nothing to society :ironicat:

He also said the government should enact a ban to stop them coming in "like Donald trump with the Muslims"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It's morning in Australia

Our long national nightmare is over.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Why the gently caress is she crying, her pay sure as gently caress hasn't been cut

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Les Affaires posted:

Because being mostly illiterate in economics and a former (current?) small business owner she believes this is a good thing overall and that only children and students do these jobs and are affected by the decision, and has been sold the propaganda by the others in the party who know better but don't give a poo poo.

There's a pretty easy solution to that. If she actually claims she's been lied to by her party then she should state her intention cross the floor if Labor moves a bill to stop the cut. Otherwise stop loving crying because you're utterly complicit in it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Given Queensland, I assume business is about to boom for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

maybe reference to fasces?