Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Shame Lid, shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Recoome posted:

While this is a counter-protest, it's going to be pretty benign because the opposition will be the usual suspects who HATE abortions and poo poo, and it's it's really crucial that we oppose this kind of poo poo because the QLD Parliament will be debating decriminalising abortion in February. Currently, the LNP are completely opposed to decriminalising abortion, so it's down to the ALP and independents in order to get this running (I think PHON are against it).

Speaking of abortion and Trump, I had never even heard of this before, but apparently it's a thing all Republican presidents do:

quote:

Trump Didn’t Just Reinstate the Global Gag Rule. He Massively Expanded It.

On Monday morning, Donald Trump, surrounded by a group of smiling white men, signed an executive order banning foreign nongovernmental organizations that receive certain kinds of American aid from counseling health clients about abortion or advocating for abortion law liberalization.

Supporters of international reproductive rights were disappointed but not surprised. Ronald Reagan first issued the so-called Mexico City policy in 1984, stripping U.S. family planning funds from groups involved with abortion, and ever since, every Republican president has reinstated it.

By Monday’s end, however, people who work on global reproductive health and rights were reeling. Trump, it eventually emerged, hadn’t simply revived the so-called global gag rule. Quietly, with so little publicity that activists weren’t aware until someone saw the new language in a tweeted image, Trump had massively expanded the rule. Suzanne Ehlers, president and CEO of the global reproductive health organization PAI, says it’s the global gag rule “on steroids.”

In the past, the global gag rule meant that foreign NGOs must disavow any involvement with abortion in order to receive U.S. family planning funding. Trump’s version of the global gag rule expands the policy to all global health funding. According to Ehlers, the new rule means that rather than impacting $600 million in U.S. foreign aid, the global gag rule will affect $9.5 billion.

Organizations working on AIDS, malaria, or maternal and child health will have to make sure that none of their programs involves so much as an abortion referral. Geeta Rao Gupta, a senior fellow at the United Nations Foundation who previously served as deputy executive director of UNICEF, gives the example of HIV/AIDS clinics that get U.S. funding to provide antiretrovirals: “If they’re giving advice to women on what to do if they’re pregnant and HIV positive, giving them all the options that exist, they cannot now receive money from the U.S.”

Ann Starrs, president of the Guttmacher Institute, says her staff feared social conservatives on the Trump team might push to broaden the global gag rule. Others, however, are stunned at the move. “It wasn’t unexpected that they would reinstate the global gag rule, but the dramatic expansion of the scope of it is truly shocking,” says Gupta. Some in international reproductive and sexual health circles are speculating that the new policy is Trump’s way of lashing out at the millions of women who marched against him on Saturday. “I would not necessarily be surprised if it were a reaction to the women’s marches,” Evertz says. “Although applying the global gag rule to PEPFAR’s programs ill affects millions of men as well,” since HIV/AIDS programs that treat entire communities could face defunding.

Why even have a House or Senate, anymore when Trump can do all this? May as well disband them all.

Let the regional governors have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 2, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, if there was a workable social safety net, people would.

As it stands now, the "something else" is suffer in poverty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What I'd loving give to have someone leak a recording of that phone call.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Imagine losing to this tasteless piece of poo poo:

drat, his feet are tinier than his hands.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Service industries are 68% of the Australian economy.

To compare - mining is around 7-8%.

If we offshore the service industry, there'll be nothing left.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

And while on catallaxy news, Morgan Begg of the IPA has a new theory: that ARE TAXES fund pro-18c groups to attack brave honest IPA people!

To be fair, I have a hard time thinking of a better use of our taxes.

Comstar posted:

Mods need to change it so any mention of Trumbull is converted to Trumbull automatically.

I've got a greasemonkey script which can do that for you if you want.

I already change:

Tony Abbott - Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott

Andrew Bolt - convicted racist and paedophile apologist Andrew Bolt

And well as unpacking a few acronyms that get tossed around in various threads.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
About loving time!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
As moves continue to decriminalise abortion in Queensland, please take a moment to reflect on how lucky were all are not to be living in the land of freedom, equality and justice:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Comstar posted:

In other news, The Future of Shopping is here today. A shop made up of nothing but Vending machines. No staff (apart from the delivery guy to load it up, and the owner presumably to collect the money). No theft. The perfect solution to any small shop. The Future is here today.

So he's reinvented Ye Olde Automat, only it's more difficult to restock everything?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I had a Marist Brothers house like a street away from my house growing up. I know one of the brothers used to go for walks passed the school until he was asked to change his route. 20% is hosed up.

My old high school was run by them. I met an old school friend a few months ago and he joked that we may have been the only religious school in Australia where the brothers didn't rape the kids.

As far as we know :(

So, every school has a chaplin in it now, right?

Yep, can't see that ending in loving tragedy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Now, now, let's not be too hasty.

If we push it through now it'll only upset people who don't want marriage equality. We should wait until the bigots are ready and do it then. That way everyone is satisfied.

Because that's how social progress and justice happens :pseudo:

If I have to hear that argument made one more time, I'm going to drive to Canberra and kick whoever said it so hard in the pants their descendants for ten generations will look like my foot.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 6, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Derrin Hinch Human Pile of poo poo.

I've always considered Hinch to be a pile of poo poo, but up until now I had also thought he was a principled piece of poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I can't get enough of this, it's perfect

Someone needs to get Bannon one of those Grand Vizier hats with the spike.

Given his politics, wandering around in cargo pants just doesn't cut it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The time has come* for the Nats to join up with the Greens.

* the walrus said

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Liberal voters who aren't racists

Uhhhhhhhh?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cartoon posted:

Apparently Big Clive is suing Michaelia Cash for deformation

He's really bent out of shape over it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I can't remember who said it, but I've always like the line, "I don't like taxes, but I like the things taxes bring."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
They were shocked the ABA selected someone who chose to be deliberately barren.

How could they be expected to do business with someone like that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

The FWC even said that many people currently rely on penalty rates just to make ends meet, but who gives a gently caress.

Yeah, the working poor are just barely holding on so let's cut their loving wages by a quarter :argh:

We live in an age where a 5% cost of living increase is literally unheard of, outside of CEOs and politicians, and now almost a million people have had their weekend rates cut by 25%.

I have a friend who works retail and he needs weekend rates to pay the bills given how much the company has cut back hours for staff. They now have salaried managers work the registers for half a day before they can do any of their own stuff because they've cut back staff so much.

It's insane and I don't know how much longer it can go on before people start just losing their poo poo "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more" style.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

You Am I posted:

Pack of right wing Catholics who would've been in the DLP if the DLP liked the unions.

The SDA was ruled by a ruthless the Dutchman Joe de Bruyn who opposed anything progressive, like same sex marriage. As Whitlam once joked about De Bruyn "Joe de Bruyn is a Dutchman who hates dykes."

Considering the age and views of the people who would join (or forced) to join that union, its leadership was well out of step. The SDA was the only union not to be investigated by Abbott's witch hunt Union Royal Commission.

I would like to remind people that there is now an alternative - the Retail and Fast Food Workers' Union

If you know anyone trapped in retail hell ask them to join. The only way to stop the SDA is to starve them to death.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Literally never before has this comic been more appropriate:

(ignore the panel about the wife, it doesn't apply here)

:gary::yarg:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Starshark posted:

Someone just lost their job.

Isn't that actively illegal as well?

Not to mention a horrible loving precedent.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lid posted:

Yeah but it can be flipped to a viable attack.

"If Shorten doesnt listen to either an independent adjudicator or himself how can we be safe with him in charge? He's either spineless, a liar, or both."

Then you attack the adjudicator and his ruling.

"This man is paid more than $10,000 a week and stated outright he has no idea how cutting penalty rates will affect the lives over three quarters of a million Australians. But that didn't stop him from cutting their pay, a move which will cause untold thousands to fall into poverty."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

Bill hired him and he was head of the ACTU rofl

Please tell me you're joking about this.

The guy who decided the working poor need to be paid less was once the head of the ACTU?

I can't even wrap my head around that.

Recoome posted:

Abortion will remain a criminal offense in QLD

I find solace in these troubled time by remembering the old saying - At least we're not in loving America.

New Arkansas Anti-Choice Law Allows Rapists to Veto Abortions

Ohio bill to outlaw marital rape gets zero support from GOP lawmakers

Also, testing out my new avatar in preparation for Prime Minister Potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The fact he held any position at all at the ACTU is staggering.

• Locked thread