Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

DancingShade posted:

Offshore finance? Yeah maybe.

too loving late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/ANSETT_AU/status/828471017920016385

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How's Q&A tonight?

unrelated:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did he do it? Or is he still sitting on the pot?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

asio posted:

Truly the cicero of our generation

Kevin Rudd has taken a moment from his concession speech to thank you for your unironic compliment

How unfortunate

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NTRabbit posted:

Don't ever buy from Dominos again just fyi

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/the-dominos-effect/

A six-month investigation by Fairfax Media into Domino’s and its franchisees has uncovered widespread underpayment of wages, the deliberate underpayment of penalties using a delivery scam and the illegal sale of sponsorships of migrants for as much as $150,000.

I am not surprised. At all. I deal with domino's franchises in my role so I know that this;

quote:

It said the average profitability of a franchisee ranges between $138,000 and $145,000 a year.

Is patently false.

I can't share numbers and won't share more than that

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What % of Dominos stores are franchisee owned and what % are corporate owned?

No idea

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/15/taxes-rise-ndis-welfare-cuts-blocked-government-warns?CMP=soc_567 posted:

The federal government has flagged it will increase tax if the Senate does not pass family benefit cuts in the omnibus welfare bill, citing the need to pay for the national disability insurance scheme.

The finance minister, Mathias Cormann, told Lateline on Tuesday that if parliament did not pass its savings measures, “then of course tax increases become the only option”.

On Monday the government attempted to increase pressure on the Senate crossbench to pass welfare cuts associated with its childcare package by announcing that $3bn of the proposed savings package would be allocated to a special account to fund the full rollout of the NDIS.

But the Nick Xenophon Team, Labor and the Greens plan to block the bill, with Xenophon citing the harsh effect of almost $4bn in savings measures on families.

Liberal defector, senator Cory Bernardi, has also warned he is reconsidering whether the can support the bill, because it “robs Peter to pay Paul” rather than contributing to budget repair.

The government’s omnibus savings package includes multibillion-dollar cuts to family tax benefits, paid parental leave and unemployment payments, with some of that money used to pay for extra funding for childcare.
Budget plan unrealistic and will increase income tax burden, thinktank finds
Read more

Cormann said the savings in the bill would either be directed to better childcare or spent on the NDIS – which he said was already a liability for the government that was “left unfunded by Labor”.

Asked about increasing a tax such as the Medicare levy to pay for the NDIS, Cormann said if savings were blocked then there “comes a day when the only way you can repair the budget is through tax increases”.

“That is not what we would like to do. That is not our instinct or our preference. ... but the way that the Labor party is carrying on, it might be that is the only thing that we are able to do at the end of the day.”

The treasurer, Scott Morrison, has given the same warning, the Australian reported.

The government is set to write off $13bn in so-called “zombie” savings measures – including making young jobseekers wait four weeks for the dole – the report said, citing a senior government source who said ratings agencies would be ­unlikely to accept the blocked measures as genuine savings.

Asked if Labor would support a tax increase to pay for the NDIS, Bill Shorten told ABC radio on Wednesday increases were not necessary. Shorten said the NDIS was fully funded in 2013 because Labor had planned to increase the Medicare levy and make other savings.

“What they first said for this current omnibus bill ... was [it] was necessary to help reform childcare – then we’ve exposed that 1.5m Australians will have reductions in family payments,” he said. “This week they’ve tied [the bill] to the future of the NDIS, they’ve taken the future of the NDIS hostage on the basis it won’t be properly supported unless these cuts go through.”
Live Bill Shorten urges Coalition to ditch company tax cuts instead of 'threatening' voters – question time live
As Labor, Greens and majority of Senate crossbench rule out passing omnibus savings bill, Mathias Cormann warns the government will have to raise taxes
Read more

Shorten said the threatened tax increase was the latest tactic to pass the omnibus welfare bill while the government continued to treat its “unaffordable tax giveaway to big business” as “sacred”. He said the government had a choice between taking from families earning $60,000 to $70,000 and its $48bn company tax cut plan, which was a “no-brainer” for him.

The opposition leader was also asked about the fact that one of the architects of the Gonski report on needs-based education funding, Ken Boston, has said that additional funding is not the key to improving education.

In a speech on Tuesday, Boston said the Gonski report’s “most critical recommendations were about redistribution of existing funding”.

“The way money is distributed is important but overall education needs more funding,” Shorten replied. “The people who most typically say that you don’t need more resources in schools, that money’s not the answer, are people for whom money is not a problem.”

Cool, raise the corporate tax cut

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Remember the story about the government MP who ran a Gloria Jeans Franchise, complaining about how high penalty rates were for weekends and that she could only afford to stay open if she got family to come in and work for nothing?

The store owner reportedly refused to extend their lease.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Dear god did queensland relocate to Scotland when I wasn't looking?!

loving steady on mate

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Men who are out and proud - about their support for Tony Abbott.

I have a distant family member through marriage, who's welsh, who's gay, who's a liberal - and loving loves tony abbott.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hot take: Australia's people and government are p poo poo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

Oh. I'm an only child and my parents got a divorce, so great for me.

This sounds like the origin story for a young lnp member

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dunno, that tweet reads like fake news to me. nothing in there about dog loving.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

I suggest the Vietnamese dong.

I mean for AU$1 you get over 17,000 dong

https://youtu.be/R2vBZuLI3oI

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel an epic post of rage inbound from Cartoon?

Does the Cartoon poo poo in the woods?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

Its release comes as Australia once again ponders the US alliance in the era of Donald Trump, with Australian troops back in Iraq, and with the Pentagon poised to release a new game plan to defeat the Islamic State terror group that could involve asking for more help from Canberra.

After the last phone call?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would love queensland to cecede

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is anyone surprised?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did none of you read the part that its release was authorized by someone extremely high up the chain, not just a random?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it is in fact extremely bad, but that doesn't change that it was a senior decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

These first dogs are getting really nihilistic

• Locked thread