Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
lol, Turnbull had an autocue for the press club q&a today. That must have been that bit where I said "he's gone back on script"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Konomex posted:

Barnett is toast barring some miracle.

He could maybe promise some more train lines

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

This was never not going to blow up, when it was announced during the lame duck period was there actually anyone who thought it was going to happen? Let alone anyone in the government who knows how this poo poo works.

Edit: I'm pretty sure at least one person pointed that out in this thread at the time of the announcement, it may even have been me

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's called clean coal dummy, of course it applies for funding from the clean energy finance corp. can't you read!!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

“Family law is high on my agenda, I just think it needs a complete overhaul,” the One Nation leader told News Corp. “It needs court-approved premarital agreements on finance and parental issues. So before someone goes into a relationship or a marriage, you must have a premarital agreement. It would be confidential [and lodged with courts].

Labor will never trade preferences with One Nation, says Tanya Plibersek
Read more
“We’ve got to free up our court system. It’s overloaded. A lot of judgments aren’t being handed down for years.”

The One Nation leader said she would also cut the number of politicians, limit migration, introduce an Australian identity card and axe the GST and consider a flat 2% tax rate if she ran the country.

I just don't know what to say, it's just a wall of crazy.

how do they think a 2% flat tax will pay for anything? That's less than the Medicare budget.

norp fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 5, 2017

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Surely bernardi is a vote against Turnbull in the party room

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

open24hours posted:

Listening to them talk about Culleton, is there any good reason why an annulment shouldn't also annul his ineligibility to stand (if that makes sense)?

Because it stood at the time he was running for senate, which was unconstitutional.
Basically he lied on the application form

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The speaker did comment on the prop not being allowed if you listen to the video.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure that sort of contract would be illegal or unconstitutional in some way

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In WA there is no coalition, and in fact the only reason Barnett got in 2 elections ago was because he was willing to throw 25% of mining royalties at national party seats in return for their support at giving him the premier position.
If course after this preference deal there is zero chance of that this time, if there even was a chance after they got power in their own right and left the nationals out to dry last election.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

DancingShade posted:

Looks like it. Put it this way, if after NOT getting the lib preferences first the nats stay in coalition anyway that'll just formally cement their status as "Bitch".

Once again, in WA the nats aren't in coalition* and are generally fairly hostile to the Libs. They tend to actually negotiate with labor when necessary too.

* in the previous government they voted to provide the premiership to the Libs (labor refused their demands) but only got money and cabinet positions. They weren't in the party room or bound to any votes. The current liberal government governs in their own right if I'm 'membering correctly

norp fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 12, 2017

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Replace it.

They have bought millions of km of brand new copper cable for remediation works for the nbn. Don't you dare call it ideological though, it's infrastructure of the 20th21st century we are installing here

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

NPR Journalizard posted:

Honestly not too sure. Would depend on whether or not they considered the copper that runs from the kerb to the house the property of the utility or not.

Telstra owns (owned?) the lead in, up until the first termination inside the property line. On older houses it's the Telstra branded socket, newer ones it's a box on the outer wall.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Konomex posted:

You've got me jittery. I want this so bad. Inheritance tax for anything over half a million (or a sensible figure not pulled from my rectum), excluding property below some reasonable amount (with house prices in Sydney, I've no idea what this might be).

You don't get to grow fat off your parents ashes any more. Any gifts between family members need to be taxed too, you can't offload your children's inheritance before you die to get around it.

I know that in the us one way you got around inheritance tax was to take out a life insurance policy with your children as beneficiaries. (I.e pay someone a bunch of money to give your kids 90% of that money)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Zenithe posted:

It keeps happening!

One Nation candidate advocated killing Indonesian journalists, attacked gays, Muslims and blacks

The guy is a WA real estate agent One Nation candidate. I'm pretty sure that's failing at life bingo right there.

quote:

It's just locker room talk mate

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Shame it doesn't render as HTML without fiddling

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Some companies actually set unpaid overtime as a KPI....

Also it's really poo poo that the "reasonable overtime" clause exists in the legislation, makes the 38h full time hours law a bit of a joke.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Since there are quite loose "core hours" any overtime I work to get some deadline met beyond the amount they "require" simply gets taken back by sleeping in or leaving early.

I also refuse actual overtime unless I get something decent.
Last time I said yes to overtime it was saturdays for double time with catered lunch. Then again that was a T&M gig so double time was also doubling our margin - got a bonus for that one on top

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

rapeface posted:

Okay, I've been distracted by Trump, what's this about Libs preferencing One Nation WA? I'm in (very?) Liberal Swan and wasn't going to vote for them anyway, but what else can I do besides give money to the Greens? Where do I find out who to call and yell at?

It's only in rural (read: national party) seats, because the Libs burnt the Nats hard they are betting ONP are a more friendly looking crossbench.
Also they are getting metro preferences in return.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

A baby ate my dingo posted:

Needless to say the employee turnover rate at that place was ridiculous.

I've never put in more than a 43hr week with informal time in lieu because it's too hard to claw back doing 2hrs less a week.
Longer than that and I'm asking for another, resource or more money. I'm never afraid of telling people their estimates are bullshit and they won't hit their deadlines. The trick is to do it early and not a week out from release.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Look, if the working class needs housing they should just work an extra 9 minutes a day!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Do they really think that dutton is a good choice?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I guess this is the party that put Abbott in charge so it certainly shouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You Am I posted:

He's one of the last of a dying breed of big box retailers, can't wait for it to all explode in his face.

Pretty sure that Harvey is just a landlord at this point, its all a big franchise scam that writes off losses on departments without affecting the parent company.
Someone posted an article bout how it worked recently.

• Locked thread