Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I managed to forget Senator Derryn Hinch is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The deputy prime minister, Barnaby Joyce, says it is “morally prudent” for Australia to build new coal-fired plants and he would have no problem if taxpayers provided support.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Turnbull declined to comment on the report, saying the resettlement deal remained on track and it was best that conversations between leaders remained private.

“I’m not going to comment on the conversation,” Turnbull told reporters in Melbourne. “During the course of the conversation, as you know and it was confirmed by the president’s official spokesman, the president assured me that he would continue with, honour the agreement we entered into with the Obama administration, with respect to refugee resettlement.”

Asked whether Trump had hung up on him, Turnbull again declined to comment, but he suggested he had argued Australia’s corner. “Australians know me very well. I always stand up for Australia in every forum.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Recoome posted:

As soon as Sean Spicer made that dumb comment about the refugee deal, I knew it was off cause Trump reeeaaaaally hates brown people

also lol @ Turnbull hitching his wagon to a guy who literally said it was the worst conversation. hahahahhaahaha

Turnbull NEEDED a win in his own mind, and this refugee deal was it, getting brown people off our shores! So he's been adamanetly fighting reality on it and being a coward who refused to rock the boat because drat it we need to appease Trump and give him Czechslovakia so he doesn't attack us next.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

My favourite part about it is that they're still trying to use the, 'look at the tolerant left :rolleyes:' thing, but it's been so overused in the last decade even 'centrist' libs kneejerk defend punching Nazis in the face.

insert here respectful hitler mspaint

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A STAFFER in the Prime Minister’s office has been suspended after posting anti-Trump propaganda to her social media page.

Yvette Kerr, executive assistant to the Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s chief of staff Drew Clarke, has been suspended today over “inappropriate” posts on her Facebook page, 2GB radio reports.

Ms Kerr posted a photo and link to a website named ‘Tuck Frump’ in November, before the President was elected.

She deleted the post today after the radio station alerted the Prime Minister’s office to the link.

Give her a raise

Natuonalise 2gb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kurtofan posted:

did you know that Australia had a president now

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/827939622265159680

Well Turnbull did get his main political start as head of the Republican movement

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The ABC's lightning rod for national debate and controversy Q&A returns to our screens on Monday night and it will literally be bigger than ever – with a post-show play-by-play called Q&A Extra making its debut to kick off the 2017 season.

Tapping into the audience and media interest that has given Q&A a post-broadcast after-life like no other program on television, the "soft launch" of Q&A Extra will be hosted by Tracey Holmes on ABC News Radio nationwide and broadcast as a Facebook Live event each week, starting immediately after the traditional television broadcast ends.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Helen Andrews
Helen Andrews is a political analyst and writer for National Review, First Things, the Claremont Review of Books and other American magazines, and is a regular panellist on ABC News 24's Planet America.

She was formerly a policy analyst at the Centre for Independent Studies in Sydney, writing on charity regulation, preventive health, anti-discrimination law and also served as managing editor of the CIS's quarterly publication Policy. She was a contributor to Proud to Be Right: Voices of the Next Conservative Generation, edited by Jonah Goldberg.

In the lead-up to the US election she was a strong supporter of Donald Trump and has continued to back his administration since his inauguration.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://mobile.twitter.com/QandA/status/828173570652069888

Daisy Cousens
Daisy Cousens is a freelance journalist and (occasional) provocateur based in Sydney, Australia. She graduated from the University of Sydney in 2015 with a Master of Creative Writing, having previously gained a Bachelor of Music at the Australian Institute of Music and a Bachelor of Arts at Macquarie University.

Soon after completing her Masters, Daisy became a contributor at SheSaid online magazine, and in 2016 began freelancing for The Spectator Australia. Her focus is political ideology, culture and satire. She was also editorial assistant at Quadrant magazine, and remains a continuing contributor for the Quadrant print edition.

In addition, Daisy has recently begun writing for deadcentrepolitics.com, with a focus on the conservative stance. She is also taking part in a think tank at the Menzies Research Centre, presenting the downside of national debt and deficit to millennials.

Daisy also enjoys sports journalism, and has freelanced for The Roar Sports with a focus on tennis.

Lid fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 5, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Garbage, had to listen to it from another room. I liked that everyone in the audience burst out laughing when one of the panel tried to claim the Muslim ban wasn't racist though.

she later said that Trump was good because he would not be as bad as Stalin

so long as we're grading on a curve here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If Trumble had any balls, which he does not, he could invert the wedge - push through a new edict of free vote on same sex marriage. He already has the moderates and centre right, and if the Nationals or other wingnuts tell him to not he can tell them do it or go join Berni.

They won't go join Berni.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Eh Lindt isn't a stretch as a terroristic event. The fiction is that it wasn't covered.

I gave up on someone forever when they posted while it was still going on that it was a government false flag.

They also believed Martin Bryant was framed so...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/national/what-type-of-aussie-are-you-meet-the-7-new-political-tribes-20170203-gu57b2

I got hipster or activist egalitarian

0% on everything else

Also outright says werenotracist are unfriendly unlikable pricks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cartoon posted:

And we have a winner. Imagine if your 'rents live in a really well to do suburb as befits their enormous combined income. Wonder what the unemployment rate in that suburb is? Really really low I'm guessing. So if you move out of home because your 'rents are insufferable boomer poo poo heads who listen to Ray Hadley and watch the Bolt report you almost automatically have to cop the six months without benefits for moving to an area with higher unemployment. Sucks to be you!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/study-reveals-australia-no-longer-the-lucky-country-for-millenials-20170207-gu72cc.html
So harden the gently caress up you millennial whiners.

The terrorism answer has a reason

The Deloitte survey was taken in September 2016 — relatively soon after deadly terrorism attacks in Nice, Florida and Belgium, as well as dozens of attacks across the Islamic world.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A Coalition senator is threatening to oppose his own government's plan to axe the notorious Life Gold Pass – which gives former MPs free business-class travel on the taxpayer – saying it's time someone stood up for politicians.

Queensland backbencher Ian Macdonald says politicians work extremely hard and don't get paid particularly well for their efforts.

Senator Macdonald – who is paid a salary of $200,000 a year as a backbencher

Hilarious Hills To Die On for $400

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
As I said in our party room the other day: I do not want to indicate what was said in the party room but these are my own thoughts, not the party room’s thoughts especially. It is about time our leaders – all of our leaders, and Senator Di Natale would be a good start – started emphasising how much work politicians do, how much commitment most of the people who sit in this parliament – most, I might add – have. They are here because they believe in Australia and they believe that they can make a contribution to Australia. By the standards in the community they do not get particularly well-paid, and there are hundreds of examples of that.

Someone has to stand up, rather than just Senator Ludlam joining the populist theme and denigrating by innuendo everybody in this chamber and the other chamber, and start arguing for politicians, arguing for parliamentarians, saying why they are there.

Most parliamentarians – or those on this side – would have done infinitely better financially staying in their legal practice, staying in their business, staying in their veterinary practice, staying in the jobs they had before. That is not why they have come into this chamber.

I will be talking on this again in another bill coming up, where I will be opposing my government and again moving amendments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Politics is a social service not the financial iccupation it has come with the uni student train of kids going through unipolitic politik gaming to get money and no ideals

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

starkebn posted:

There are hundreds of people better off than parliamentarians!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

The intolerant left unfairly portray anyone who disagrees with them as bigoted psychopaths

The only good thing about Muslims is they throw gay people off buildings

An informative dinner with the Q Society

https://twitter.com/missmayn/status/829590447467032577

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

iajanus posted:

But on such a hot day maybe they would have helped cool everyone down with a nice refreshing breeze?

No you see they are an eyesore i say as i am literally feeling the moisture in my eyes evaporate into steam

Coal the way of the future

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

thatfatkid posted:

Wow One Nation actually expressing a sensible opinion while the ALP guy acts like a child. What a time to be alive...

im not a puppet it is you who are the puppet

Trollmaster 2000

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also lets not forget Putins laws on the gays

Great man

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

You're acting like the kind of people who think Putin is good don't also want to beat their wives and kill gays.

Woosh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I too wish we had more respect for P W Botha

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
“I don’t mind that they are gay, I just wish, like Hadrian, they would build a wall,” Cameron told a meeting of the far-right Q society, Fairfax reported.

“Trigger warning for the Herald, there are heterosexuals in the room…I have to warn you there are some males who are attracted to females in this room.”

He said using the term “Sydney Morning Homosexual” was not anti-gay, but anti-Sydney Morning Herald.

He told Sky News he was sick of “state-sponsored political correctness”, describing the Sydney Morning Herald as a “bully”.

He offered an apology to anyone offended by the “reporting of these comments”.

Sky News presenter, Janine Perrett, responded:

“That was the worst apology I’ve ever heard.”

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 10, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guess the author

Andrew, I mostly love all you have to say, but you are being massively snowed here on this Q Society dinner story. You, possibly more than anyone, should understand that one needs to be in the room and hear the entirety of the night's discussions and speeches to be able to put them in a true context. You clearly weren't there, and you have fallen into a trap here set by someone who was there, but had an obvious agenda to skew the public's opinion of the general demeanour of the dinner, and what was said. Shame on you Andrew, you are much better than that.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech Andrew. If you don't like it too bad.

Pickering speaks in language that most Australians understand and support. Too bad if it offends those in polite circles (most of whom actually aren't polite but just hypocrites trying to restrict the rest of us).

A lot of Australians are not impressed with homosexuality as a lifestyle choice but are happy to tolerate it as the business of those who indulge in it BUT they are also fedup with the in-your-face propaganda about how wonderful it is, how we all must think it is normal, how we all must accept redefining institutions such as marriage to accommodate it.

A great many Australians are simply fedup with the self-indulgent, aggressive homosexual promotion agitators. The latter are the real targets of Pickering's humour about homosexuals and the reason so many other Australians agree with him.

Lid fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 10, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Domino's CEO Don Meij has admitted up to 2400 of the pizza chain's staff were underpaid while blasting whistleblowing former franchisees as blackmailing "criminals".

Lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Yahoo7 has been fined $300,000 and convicted of contempt of court for publishing an article that aborted a murder trial, with a judge saying that one of Australia's biggest media companies put profits before professional journalism.

Its employee, Sydney journalist Krystal Johnson, who wrote the article, has escaped with a good behaviour bond, the Supreme Court in Melbourne heard on Friday.

Johnson, who had not been in court in Melbourne to report on the case, copied details from an accurate report of an earlier hearing to use in her article.

She then bypassed subeditors to directly publish it on Yahoo's news website.

Justice John Dixon last year found both Yahoo and Johnson in contempt of court, saying that the article was prejudicial.

The judge ordered on Friday that Yahoo7 be fined and convicted over it, saying it had "primary responsibility for the contempt".

Yahoo7 also failed to ensure its systems for supervising journalists and controlling the publication of information "were sufficient to prevent prejudicial material from being aired," he said.

"Commercial pressures, such as meeting deadlines and ensuring there is immediacy regarding the reporting of current affairs, and incentives in the form of larger audiences and substantial profits were at the forefront of Yahoo7's considerations."

As one of Australia's biggest media companies, he said "professionalism in its management and staff" were expected of Yahoo7.

"In view of the kind of high-volume, time pressured work Yahoo7 expected of its journalists, Johnson's mistake was readily foreseeable."

The article was published last year in the first week of the trial of Mataio Aleluia, who was charged with murdering his girlfriend Brittany Harvie, and revealed material that had not been put to the jury.

The trial was aborted to prevent the risk of an unfair trial.

Aleluia was later found guilty of murder in a separate trial.

Johnson promised the court through her lawyers to be on good behaviour for two years.

Justice Dixon said that provided she did this, the contempt charge against her would be dismissed on this day in 2019.

Neither Johnson, nor the head of Yahoo7's editorial team, Simon Wheeler, appeared in court on Friday.

Justice Dixon said it was a serious contempt which caused stress and inconvenience to the victim's family, Aleluia and the jury members who were discharged.

It also wasted a considerable amount of time and put a burden on court resources.

Johnson's offending article included a Facebook post Ms Harvie wrote before she died, in which she feared Aleluia might one day put her "six feet under".

The article was read about 4000 times in Victoria before it was taken down.

Yahoo's system for reviewing articles before they were published relied on the experience and judgment of individual journalists, the judge said.

While Yahoo!7 had since hired more staff and introduced legal training, this showed the contemptuous article was partly published because of inadequate resourcing, "driven by profit or commercial motivations".

The court also had no commitment from Yahoo's board, only from Wheeler, that the mistake would not be repeated, the judge said.

The company had apologised for the mistake initially, but later unsuccessfully tried to challenge the charges of contempt, he said.

Johnson did not intend to interfere with the trial and was "shocked and ashamed" that she had.

Justice Dixon also took into account her age, lack of journalistic experience and vulnerability "through being assigned a high level of responsibility by Yahoo!7".

She was unlikely to reoffend, he said, given the severe impact of the public criticism on her since she was charged.

The court previously heard she had been abused over the contempt on social media and that other media had questioned her ability.

"I accept that she has learned in a harsh and unforgiving way, a lesson that she will not forget," the judge said.

dumbass.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The only cabinet position that Christensen is amply qualified for is Kitchen Cabinet

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Delving into the other side, heres the dog fucker

quote:

If journalists are determined to expose Donald Trump as dishonest, then they should start by being straight up themselves. In their group hysteria, the media are so keen to oppose, antagonise and mock the President that they underscore his own attacks on them.

The latest faux controversy is a case in point. News media the world over, led by excitable journalists ever eager to expose the next Trump gaffe, have told audiences that the President referred to a terror attack in Sweden that never happened.

Even here, in another hemisphere, ABC journalists were keen to do Trump over, seemingly willing to mislead their audiences in the process. On Radio National Breakfast Matt Bevan pretended to be giving listeners some news: “Starting in Sweden today where there was a terrible terrorist attack over the weekend, at least that’s what the President of the United States said.”

So began the report, mocking Trump, as ever, suggesting he is the person who cannot be trusted and who is wont to invent his own facts. Yet the President never said there was a terrorist attack in Sweden.

Journalists from Florida, where he made the remarks, to ABC types in Ultimo and elsewhere around the world acted with the degree of independence we have come to expect from them — something akin to a schoolfish — and ran with the story. They even had the Swedish ambassador seeking explanations.

So what did Trump actually say? He was talking about his immigration measures, currently held up by the courts, aimed at preserving national security, especially against the threat of Islamic terrorism.

“Here’s the bottom line,” he said. “We’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening. We’ve got to keep our country safe. You look at what’s happening in Germany, you look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden, who would believe this. Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what’s happening in Brussels. You look at what’s happening all over the world. Take a look at Nice. Take a look at Paris. We’ve allowed thousands and thousands of people into our country and there was no way to vet those people. There was no documentation. There was no nothing. So we’re going to keep our country safe.”

No mention of a terrorist attack in Sweden. That was a figment of the media’s imagination.

Apparently Trump’s “last night” was a reference to a television documentary detailing problems with Muslim immigration in Sweden aired the previous night on television.

Either none of the journalists watch Fox, they didn’t think to check, or they just wanted to run with their beat up anyway. Either way, it doesn’t excuse them for concocting things the President didn’t actually say.

Of course this is not the first time the media has decided to run like a herd on the same misinterpretation. It is a characteristic of their reporting of Trump.

Their obvious antagonism and eagerness to denounce Trump is why, when they claim the President is at war with the press and that their rights are being trampled on, so many people will scoff at them. Just because they dislike Trump and his policies or his election proved most of them wrong, or even because he has been caught out pushing incorrect information in the past, it does not excuse their dishonesty.

On the contrary, they prove his point, undermine themselves and help to inoculate him against proper scrutiny and accountability when it will be needed. (Remember there was once a story about a boy crying “wolf”!)

When Trump demanded NATO countries do more to share the burden, journalists selectively quoted him pretending he wanted to dump the treaty. When he used similarly threatening language over North Asia they used the same tricks to suggest his preferred option was nuclear armaments for South Korea and Japan.

When he was caught out on a decade-old tape speaking in inexplicably and inexcusably crude terms about women, journalists decided this was enough to dub him a serial sexual abuser. When he talks about a wall on the Mexican border the journalists always forget to mention the current fortifications which, in places, are akin to the Berlin Wall.

Trump is sufficiently unorthodox, erratic and loose-with-the-truth, without journalists needing to exaggerate or even verbal him. Their job should be to overlay a volatile new administration with some sober reporting and analysis; not throw fuel on the fire with spin of their own.

(He is wrong in this article repeatedly btw, this is an amazingly seld owned gotcha)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The front runner for the next doctor is Tilda Swinton

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

i wrong threaded this

Lid posted:

Tony Abbott has used a book launch to unveil a sweeping conservative manifesto for the next federal election, declaring the Coalition needs to cut immigration, slash the renewable energy target, abolish the Human Rights Commission, and gut the capacity of the Senate to be a roadblock to the government’s agenda.

Its a short bow but...

Lid posted:

As for tge book

MAKING AUSTRALIA RIGHT
Where to from here?

Edited by James Allan

with contributions from:
Judith Sloan, Brendan O’Neill, Gary Johns, Jim Molan, Roger Franklin, Rebecca Weisser, Graeme Haycroft, James Allan, Kerryn Pholi, Jeremy Sammut, Lorraine Finlay, Peter Kurti, Steven Kates, Alan Moran

Judith Sloan considers the economy; Brendan O’Neill tackles political correctness; Gary Johns writes on inequality; Jim Molan surveys defence; Roger Franklin goes more big picture and explains the causes for his anger at the Liberal Party; Rebecca Weisser examines the media in this country; Graeme Haycroft does the same with industrial relations; James Allan at the state of play in our universities; Kerryn Pholi writes on Aboriginal Australia; Jeremy Sammut discusses health; Lorraine Finlay takes on law-making; Peter Kurti delves into religion and the new sectarianism; Steve Kates scrutinizes interest rate policy; and Alan Moran finishes the collection off by looking at energy policy. So fourteen chapters in all, and each one approached in a different way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hes going to Crean himself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hahahahahahahahaha

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morrison would have been the Tories' first choice had he not supported Turnbull over Abbott (and done a poo poo job as treasurer)

He was because he was the pre-Dutton abuser of refugees, essentially whoever has that portfolio is their choice for PM.

I'm sure there are Labor voters still pining for Chris Bowen by saying "look how good he is as shadow treasurer" whilewilfully ignoring how he was another refugee abuser. Long live the Malaysia Solution.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Politics is full of catastrophic debacles and tragedies that nonetheless finish up in weed-covered, neglected dead ends.

The Soviet Union comes to mind. All that work. All that butchery. All those millions killed. And then pffft! It was gone.

Similarly, Tony Abbott. Okay, not the millions dead, but what an utter destructive force, an utter waste of space this man has been on the Australian political landscape.

Can you remember anything positive that he has contributed to our polity that has not involved tearing something down? Even as a minister there is not much to recommend him.

He oversaw the introduction of a so-called private sector run employment market that was supposed to ensure that all the government subsidies went to those most in need of assistance. It has never, ever worked like that. Still doesn't.

Health Minister? Well, no-one remembers anything particularly positive there either.

Having torn down his leader in Opposition, he unleashed a feral – and deadly – negativism on Australian politics from which we have never really recovered.

So firmly set on a path of destruction, he set about making everything in his prime ministership a negative and ended up destroying himself.

You might think that at some point there might have been a moment of midnight reflection. But no.

Tony Abbott has continued on his destructive path, not just trying to destroy the man who replaced him but being happily prepared to burn the government of which he is allegedly a part, and some of his closest colleagues at the same time.

All in the truly deluded name of policies that he didn't have the political ability to implement when he was prime minister but which he still thinks might win votes.

Abbott's latest intervention has only had the effect of finally bringing out those who have been most admirably loyal to him - like Mathias Cormann - to call him on his disingenuous, hypocritical and dishonest policy critiques of the current government.

The other own goal of this latest speech is that it has finally freed the prime minister to give an honest appraisal of what his predecessor didn't achieve, and point out that he has, in fact, achieved things that eluded Abbott.

"We are acting and we are getting things done which we couldn't, wouldn't or didn't get done in the last Parliament," Malcolm Turnbull said on Friday.

"I haven't talked about reintroducing the rule of law to the building sector, I've done it.

"I've had the courage, not to give speeches, but to act."

The shame of it is that, as is always the case, Abbott leaves a stinking pile of loopy policy ideas steaming on the footpath – ranging from cutting immigration to the renewable energy target – that others will have to go to some considerable trouble to avoid, or, worse, being the sort of populist nonsense they are, be adopted by those profferring simplistic solutions.

This was all done under the deluded contention that the political debate in Australia has been hijacked by the Left.

Backed by the tailwind of a gushing and fawning conservative media, Abbott had every opportunity to set a new highwater mark for the right in Australia.

But as his own conservative colleagues publicly abandon him, it is a sign of Abbott's utter failure that he has even made this unfashionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Face it, penalty rates are a hangover from a bygone era

The politically inconvenient truth is that penalty rates are a hangover from a bygone era that costs tens of thousands of jobs and cripples businesses small and large.

John Slater is executive director of the HR Nicholls Society.

Lol

• Locked thread