Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

gently caress most if not all Newspaper in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Spotted at the Queen Vic Market: Bill Shorten with family and, separately, a group of young women wearing black shirts with large white 'PRO LIFE' text.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Channel 7 just can't get enough Pauline.

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/828013748774244352

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

She clearly has mates on Sunrise

Look forward to them reporting her 30% result on this very positively.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Amoeba102 posted:

It's if George splits then they have problems.

He's def put himself forward as part of that culture and seems enough of a smug wanker to enjoy lording up a balance of power.

He might prefer to stay safe in the party while undermining it though.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He'll get even less coverage than Roberts, because he's not insane, just a massive fuckwit.

Well he'll keep getting headlines for talking about bestiality and banning burkas and so on.

Unless he also has friends at a TV show I don't see him approaching One Nation levels of coverage unless he starts getting some other high profile (former or current) politicians on board.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Is Bernardi actually the man of integrity this paints him as? It fits with his stated reason for leaving but I really have trouble believing anyone calling homosexuality a slippery slope into bestiality is doing anything other than pandering. Have I got it wrong and this guy actually believes in democracy and is just a tosser about some issues?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/inside-story-how-a-conversation-with-tony-abbott-sealed-cory-bernardis-liberal-party-exit-20170205-gu6600.html posted:

Bernardi first sensed a problem in 2009, when during a heated and divisive partyroom debate on whether the Coalition should support Kevin Rudd's emissions trading scheme, one of his colleagues, the now deceased West Australian MP Don Randall, rose to his feet and said: "I don't give a stuff about the national interest, I want to get re-elected and this needs to go away."

Bernardi went back to his Senate office and wrote down the quote. He never forgot it. It was the beginning of the end.

In the first weeks of his prime ministership Abbott said of Bernardi - in front of a group of backbench Coalition MPs - that the conservative senator should already be in cabinet and would be "as soon as he stops talking about the things he is always talking about".

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Well poo poo I guess he's a tosser about almost everything. At least he's consistent and should be easier to pin down and argue with than Pauline.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

Jacqui Lambie will move to introduce a criminal code amendment to ban full face coverings in public places.

Does poo poo like this get voted on the in senate then the house? I'm not up on how senators introduce legislation. gently caress I think I even asked this in this thread years ago but I can't remember.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

It's a regulation not a bill, so it can be voted on and passed and BAM law.

As in just in the senate that has 3 One Nation members and Bernardi?

gently caress

Edit:

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 8, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

He's just being difficult for the government. It just so happened that this is the first time his dissenting opinion is better than general LNP consensus (somehow)

Yes, it’s a long bow but reckon this could add to the federal destabilisation.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Who was it even for? Question time is just for Journalists to laugh at, right?

I mean, Joe Slow wouldn't give a gently caress what Trumbles calls Shorten; his political opnion starts and ends with "I just wish they would get on with the job, ay?"

Yeah he looks like a loving tosser calling out "the politics of envy" while cutting welfare and lining up corporate tax cuts. It's not for people who are paying attention, it's just more "both sides are bad" garbage and news corpse of course praising his performance and who gives a gently caress about the actual policy that was being argued about.

Oh he's so alive and fiery pointing out Shorten's ties to big business, which are bad, unlike his own, which are obviously good because he is rich.

edit: ^ - Paul Keating says it better than I could ever hope to
edit 2: People are going nuts for strongmen in their 70s who can lob a good burn right now, time for a Keating comeback?

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 9, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Pfffffft, ha ha ha

Hope the full quote is "I stand up to billionaires, then I kneel down to them, then I start pumping, pumping, pumping... uh, for Australian interest"

I stand up to billionaires, I look them the eye, and I say "don't worry about paying taxes, we'll just gently caress over the poor"

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Single parents get $19,201 a year max from the government, and they're not allowed to make more than 188 bucks per fortnight or it gets reduced.

This guy gets $30k a year in super alone to account for his post-parlimentary retirement, all for sitting on a bench and voting how he's told. The temerity to complain about losing free business class upgrades. I hope he's savaged.

Edit: Unemployed people aged 22-24 will lose out on almost $100 a fortnight despite homelessness being at an all time high and public housing (in Victoria) having a 35,000 person wait list. Surely this will somehow be good for the economy.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 9, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Crikey posted:

George Christensen has refused to rule out joining One Nation.
Christensen has spoken to Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce saying he is in unsure of his future with the party

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

Honestly it's amazing that the ~right wing party~ are also splitting on ultranationalist lines, although I don't feel like it's attracting the same amount of negative press that the "left renewal" thing did

No where near. It's being reported fairly calmly while left renewal, a small group that no one defected to, was something that the Green's had to come out and condemn. A rare time when the media was very happy to report on what the Greens were saying.

"Let's oppress and low key encourage violence against some Australians if we don't like the colour of they skin. Because of security reasons even though it will likely make us less safe as we create more enemies."
Gets mainstream press, government works with them, sitting Lib and ex-Libs join up.

"Capitalism is a violent system that fucks up a lot of people. We should end it"
A ridiculous notion that has no place in our democracy!

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Hey so I have less time to read and more time to listen coming up. Are there any good Australian podcasts or radio shows for politics that aren't just right wing garbage?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Resident Idiot posted:

A couple of goons from this very thread do Continuity and Change, which makes efforts at balance at least. Otherwise you have Australian Politics from the Guardian with thread favorite Katharine Murphy, or longer-form Well May We Say.

I'm on mobile or I'd throw in some links.

You Am I posted:

Well may we say - Jeremy Sear previously of Something Wonky (RIP) and Crikey's Pure Poison (name the TV show that came from) new Podcast - http://www.wellmaywesay.com

Other than that, dunno.

Thanks I'll queue 'em up!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If they didn't have to pay penalty rates and one of the highest company tax rates in the developed world this corner cutting would never happen.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

so with the fires in nsw are murdoch's rags running stories about how amazing tony abbott is because he's a VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER?

Nope instead it's that rising emergy prices are putting pressure on the ALP (not the government for some reason)

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Australia: We waste more money on pokies per person than most people waste on every type of gambling put together.

Couldn't stop advertising it though. That would be against free speech or the free market or something. (Other Adult industries, such as brothels, have extreme restrictions on advertising and location. Crown has a legal monopoly on table games, yet pokies are licensed all over.)

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Taxi blockade in Melbourne today causing a little disruption.

Uber really highlights that if you're worth enough money "free market" governments will just ignore or legislate your crimes unless you're directly selling drugs or killing people.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Really enjoying this trend of ON nominating increasingly unstable candidates. Malcom Roberts believing Al Gore shilled Global Warming to make money is funny but this Norwegian Gay Mind Control and the guy who couldn't be bothered to clear his facebook of all his SWEATY MULATTO BUTTS and MEDIEVAL CUCK FANTASY likes are really raising the bar in a post-satire One Nation.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The CFA getting an allowance increase is reported on the front page of the herald sun, the headline covers 30% of the page and reads: UNION PAY OFF

On Google the Hun's headline is: CFA pay deal bypasses EBA stalemate, gives career firefighters increased allowances
And on their website: Tens of millions of dollars in perks helps break CFA deadlock

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

It does look like I'm being a bit racist but I'm not.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

quote:

You never here [sic] a good looking black person complain its [sic] the ugly blacks that start this nonsense Mohammed Ali was black and he loved it.

Might seem a little bit racist, but he's not.

Certainly not a misrepresentation of someone who changed their name due to considering 'Cassius Clay' a 'slave name'.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 16, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
A section of our contract explains that overtime is necessary in this industry and that any work that must be done outside of hours to meet project deadlines has already been "factored in" to remuneration.

This same clause exists for admin workers that have to enter data to meet deadlines, sales people who have to talk to clients at all hours, project staff actually producing the things we sell, and the techs that support parts of the business in six different and varied timezones.

While all above minimum award none of these salaries are outside of what you'd consider "market rates" for these professions. I just assume most other corporates have similar understandings, codified or not.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

Because they have no idea how to govern, they literally understand politics only on the level of winning elections, taunting the opposition and favours to mates.

To be fait it's not lime the MSM portrays it as anything more than this so I can see where they might have got the impression.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Shorten is gonna hit a landslide stride now and literally nothing can stop it. Turnbull is always looking like the out of touch old man the opposition portrays him as. He has lost the media war to Bill loving Shorten

At a time where it's just about meaningless. Shorten has two and a half years in which to squander Labor's position and he's not even preferred PM.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
It was p. weird having the guy who was supposed to keep the others in line constantly acting out and building his own brand at the expense of the party. A good move for the LIbs, but could it add to the Federal destabilisation?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/836454946677587968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Just wait for the new budget. Cuts to medicare and welfare to ensure all poors get the gift of sweet release from this planet in as expedient a manner as is affordable.

The gift of not having to live to see your children's prospects filled by drones and algorithms.

• Locked thread