Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ray wilkins has been saying lampard should go straight into premier league management so he's probably been telling terry he'll be a great manager all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope John Terry becomes manager of Chelsea as soon as possible

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

oliwan posted:

This, also with the effectiveness of Gary Neville, but far, far, far more longevity.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

oliwan posted:

Please please please please make this happen.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Yeah I don't get what making lots of money has to do with it and I think Terry's wrong.

But like 99% of professional athletes greatly overestimate their abilities to do other things like manage a team, run a business, run a charity, put out an album, say racist things, etc.

Edit: I'm biased but I think Terry and Lampard are likely to be pretty good managers. Both are well liked by their teammates, train really hard, read the game really well, worked under some of the best managers in the game, and both made the best of their limited athletic ability.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 6, 2017

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
John Terry killing Chelsea and Giggs killing united for the win

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Edit: I'm biased but I think Terry and Lampard are likely to be pretty good managers. Both are well liked by their teammates, train really hard, read the game really well, worked under some of the best managers in the game, and both made the best of their limited athletic ability.

Agreed this is why Gary Neville was such a success at Valencia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lampard should go manage a league 2 team and play himself imo

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

vyelkin posted:

Agreed this is why Gary Neville was such a success at Valencia

I don't know if any of his teammates liked him, including his brother

But that's a pretty bad example since Valencia is a trainwreck, and it was Gary Neville's first attempt at management.

Tony Adams would probably be a better example. I can't think of many other examples of famous players like that who ended up being bad managers. I mostly remember the ones that became good managers.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
I think what Terry is saying is there isn't a financial impetus for top level players to go into management so a fast track system might convince more of them to try.

He's missed the deeper point that someone who isn't willing to take the time to learn the job won't have the patience required to do the job.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Marco van Basten is a good example of an amazing player who became an awful manager. He failed everywhere he tried to manage, and now does that embarrassing thing at fifa. It's v. sad.

oliwan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 6, 2017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Manchester United started to suck when the refs stopped giving them all the penalties which was imo due to "Sir" Alex bribing them

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Not a full season, but Newcastle bringing in Shearer to save the club with 8 games to go, seems like a pretty good example of the job requiring more than being really good as a player/pundit.

5 points from 24, when 6 points would have kept them up.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aK_JNxvHRM

Some serious heartbreak on this one

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Meat Wagon posted:

If John Terry is too thick to pass the course then he should just pay trans john terry to take it for him.

Lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol a national newspaper journalist calling them a cult

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i can't believe how much of my life I have spent watching that man give pathetic butthurt interviews

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Cheikh Tiote has gone to China.
RIP.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Didn't Claude go missing for a few months recently? Poor lad was having some serious mental health issues and now he has to watch Arsenal get bummed.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
He also split up with his wife because she made him choose between her and Arsenal and he chose Arsenal lol

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Meat Wagon posted:

Didn't Claude go missing for a few months recently? Poor lad was having some serious mental health issues and now he has to watch Arsenal get bummed.

Yeah I can't really laugh at Claude like I used to since I found out about that.

Ty and DT keep me watching though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ty has some serious mental illness

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I don't think being a bellend qualifies as a mental illness

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

He also split up with his wife because she made him choose between her and Arsenal and he chose Arsenal lol

Lol what kind of dumb ultimatum is that? Of course he's gonna choose Arsenal over her.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

santanotreal posted:

Lol what kind of dumb ultimatum is that? Of course he's gonna choose Arsenal over her.

There have been posters in this very forum that have accepted similar ultimatums regarding football. :russbus:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
just lol if you'd chose your wife over literally anything

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Ninpo posted:

There have been posters in this very forum that have accepted similar ultimatums regarding football. :russbus:

i still lol about that from time to time

best classico in recent memory and he used the tickets as coasters in a nearby pub because his mrs didn't like the noise

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Jose posted:

He left the squad in a terrible situation that is taking multiple managers to fix so much it's still not great and it's the most expensive ever

Is it still the most expensive after shifting Schneiderlin and Mempiss? :raise: That's like -£50m.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

My fav regular is Troopz. Fam, blud!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
There will be blud.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thirteenth Step posted:

i still lol about that from time to time

best classico in recent memory and he used the tickets as coasters in a nearby pub because his mrs didn't like the noise

What is this story???

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

PirateBob posted:

Is it still the most expensive after shifting Schneiderlin and Mempiss? :raise: That's like -£50m.

It wasn't even the most expensive when they had those players. (Depending on how you define squad anyway).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

quote:

Liverpool fan - we've heard it all before but some things really do transcend rivalry. We may not all support the same club but we all share a passion and love of football.

It may be our slogan but YNWA regardless of it. Thoughts are with you.

Now bugger off you Manc twats <3

I trust you guys remembered what day it was yesterday. But did any of you lay down the ABU baton and pay tribute? :eng99:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oliwan posted:

What is this story???

I don't remember this, either.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PirateBob posted:

I trust you guys remembered what day it was yesterday. But did any of you lay down the ABU baton and pay tribute? :eng99:

I for one am shocked at the lack of glowing tributes in the soccer subforum on the most troll free forums on the internet.

Just like I'll be shocked again in April.

Not.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Djibril Cissé has re-retired after failing to get a contract at age 35. He is now going to focus on his DJ'ing career. I really want his stagename to be DJ Ibril.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

MrBling posted:

Djibril Cissé has re-retired after failing to get a contract at age 35. He is now going to focus on his DJ'ing career. I really want his stagename to be DJ Ibril.

It's lord DJ, of frodsham manor, to you.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He owned

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

should be Djibril deejay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007