Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Can't disagree there. Once again, I want it to be good because the basic premise is just so perfect for an exploration-based science fiction RPG, but this is modern Bioware, and on top of that, they're being really stingy with actual gameplay footage. Dragon Age Inquisition had a 25-minute gameplay presentation a full year before it came out, not to mention playable press/show floor demos a few months after that, and hour-long videos where they showed off all their combat tweaks. Mass Effect Andromeda has one five-minute gameplay video, a couple of teasers, and a story trailer.

Not to mention all the indications that the story isn't actually about exploring rad planets and finding a new home for humanity while solving conflicts with the native inhabitants of this star system, but instead about an ancient precursor species with mysterious ruins and a ~*~threat to the galaxy (but a different galaxy this time)~*~

I really want to disagree with you but you're right, I know deep down that you are. The gameplay footage of really awkward cutscenes and poorly done animations are troubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finished Odin Sphere last night. I think maybe In Training was the one who said that the whole Armageddon chapter was a real letdown and I have to agree. The story stuff was fine, but god were those some boring boss fights. Onyx wasn't so bad, but he was a repeat boss, and the final boss was kind of neat, but the rest was just mind-numbing.

I didn't realize I'd have to do that like five times over in different permutations to get the special Cornelius and Velvet after-credits scene so I think I'll pass on that.

The "Xtra New Game" thing was a pleasant surprise, though. I was expecting a new game+, but I wasn't expecting it to have new enemy formations and scale everything up to roughly your endgame power level to start with. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to play through the actual fun parts of the game again with all my cool skills and recipes unlocked. Probably going to take a break and play something else (and then play Nioh when it comes out) but I can see myself coming back and doing that one day.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently Berseria is pretty drat long so that and Yakuza 0 should hopefully last me until Nier Automata and Breath of the Wild.

I'm weirdly liking how slow paced Beseria is, I was going to preorder Nioh but Beseria might keep me occupied right past its release date.

I'll probably redbox Horizon Zero Dawn over a weekend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Tempting but I don't play early access games on principle even if they're 'done'.

I threw some money at the Grim Dawn people because I loved TQ, and ARPGs are kind of neat to play EA since every time there's a new content patch, it's like restarting a new character. But I think it would be kind of maddening to do EA for anything with a much longer gameplay loop since you're just wading around in half-finished buggy poo poo most of the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I finished Odin Sphere last night. I think maybe In Training was the one who said that the whole Armageddon chapter was a real letdown and I have to agree. The story stuff was fine, but god were those some boring boss fights. Onyx wasn't so bad, but he was a repeat boss, and the final boss was kind of neat, but the rest was just mind-numbing.

I didn't realize I'd have to do that like five times over in different permutations to get the special Cornelius and Velvet after-credits scene so I think I'll pass on that.

The "Xtra New Game" thing was a pleasant surprise, though. I was expecting a new game+, but I wasn't expecting it to have new enemy formations and scale everything up to roughly your endgame power level to start with. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to play through the actual fun parts of the game again with all my cool skills and recipes unlocked. Probably going to take a break and play something else (and then play Nioh when it comes out) but I can see myself coming back and doing that one day.

Yeah I still haven't finished that game, I have 3 bosses left and I moved onto to SMT haha. There's so little left I should finish it but because I don't really care about the story it would just be for the trophy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm weirdly liking how slow paced Beseria is, I was going to preorder Nioh but Beseria might keep me occupied right past its release date.

Please do your best to play both. :hai:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For Odin Sphere, keep in mind that in order to get the best ending at least on the PS2 version you had to fight every single boss in the final chapter with every character. I assume that got changed in the remake but man that broke me and got me to just look it up on youtube back in the day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I still haven't finished that game, I have 3 bosses left and I moved onto to SMT haha. There's so little left I should finish it but because I don't really care about the story it would just be for the trophy.

You didn't finish Armageddon? Two of the last three bosses were the ones that didn't suck, I thought--Mercedes's boss was just someone we've fought before but that means that he's designed like a normal boss, and Gwendolyn's boss is actually pretty fun to fight and not a huge slog like Cornelius's and Oswald's. So if you ever do come back to it the remaining parts of Armageddon are the better parts.

But man did they ever drop the ball on that last chapter. I'm not sure who thought "giant screen-filling boss with hitboxes that require you to jump to reach" would be a fun thing to repeat twice in a row, and then also make you fight them the two characters who are the worst at staying in the air if you want the good ending, while letting the three characters who are good in the air fight bosses with stable platforms to stand on.

Nate RFB posted:

For Odin Sphere, keep in mind that in order to get the best ending at least on the PS2 version you had to fight every single boss in the final chapter with every character. I assume that got changed in the remake but man that broke me and got me to just look it up on youtube back in the day.

To get the good ending, you just have to send the right character to fight each boss, and the "hints" you get ahead of time are extremely obvious. But to get the after-credits scene with Velvet and Cornelius, I'm pretty sure you do have to fight every boss win the final chapter with every character (or, if you don't, you still have to do the final chapter enough times that you might as well do that), and I have no intention of ever doing that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

In the remake you just have to fight them in a certain order, at least.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I do think it is neat with the final book that you have to figure out how to properly play out the prophecy for everything to work out "best"

I also like that there are specific bits of unique dialogue for bringing certain wrong characters to a boss.

I feel like Mercedes got shafted during that whole thing, though. Like, drat. Also, I think it would have been cool to have a Vulcan book but I can imagine the game feeling way too long then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And then Muramasa on the Vita had the same poo poo where to get the third endings for the DLC campaigns you had to beat every vanilla boss which takes like 2-3 times longer than the story campaign. VanillaWare has a major padding issue at times.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Phantasium posted:

Please do your best to play both. :hai:

I'll end up buying it after I return Beseria to Gamefly and while I wait for them to deliver Yakuza 0. The savings are real but the shipping is speed is unreal

I do feel slightly guilty since these weeaboo publishers need our trumpbux so we keep getting games translated and localized

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell they just made that padding the entire point of the game in Dragon's Crown.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Updated my year in gaming!
Please remind me of anything I might be forgetting!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Help Im Alive posted:

What's going on with No Man's Sky these days

The Foundation Update was really promising and definitely improved the base game(both literally and figuratively), now let's see what they add in future updates. If later updates are as robust as the Foundation one, by the one year anniversary the game'll be quite a bit better than it was at launch.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Hell they just made that padding the entire point of the game in Dragon's Crown.

What about that game they made with NIS, grim grimoire?

What even was that game, I saw screenshots but I can't remember what kind of game it is.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm playing Tales of Berseria and I'm deep in a hole of chaining battles and combos to get high Grade and learn skills quickly. I spent over an hour going two screens North then two screen south because I kept hunting down fights. Going from earning one skill point per battle to earning 5+ is a big part of this enthusiasm, but I know I should muscle through the story until the last two characters join my party.

I've also been playing Factorio after caving and paying full price. I beat the mini tutorial campaign and in my sandbox game I've just put together some electric engine processing which opened up drones and the logistics network, so now all I want to do is have assemblers making end products dump them into logistic chests so I can have a network of drones able to build anything and everything I need. Like trains and fluid processing before it, it will take a minute for me to wrap my mind around roboports work, but once I get some in roads it'll be time for me to expand into hostile territory before researching circuit networks and really going nuts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I do think it is neat with the final book that you have to figure out how to properly play out the prophecy for everything to work out "best"

I also like that there are specific bits of unique dialogue for bringing certain wrong characters to a boss.

I feel like Mercedes got shafted during that whole thing, though. Like, drat. Also, I think it would have been cool to have a Vulcan book but I can imagine the game feeling way too long then.

Yeah, the whole structure of the thing was great, I just wish they'd managed to make the bosses actually fun to fight. Onyx was fine (but we already fought him as Oswald's final story boss) and I thought fighting Leventhan with Gwendolyn was actually pretty fun (just the right amount of chaos in that fight), but the rest was just such a slog.

I also felt terrible for Mercedes. And, like, every pooka.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think they really changed it, to get the normal ending you have to use the characters in a particular order, but to get the true ending you have to see every boss event, which is close to beating every boss with every character but not quite.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anyone else remember when games were completed before release :corsair:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No but I remember when games were released full of bugs with no way to fix them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What even was that game, I saw screenshots but I can't remember what kind of game it is.

I think that was a 2D RTS?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Really Pants posted:

You're nostalgic for something that never existed

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I remember the days when Rare would make games where you couldn't hurt a boss for like two minutes before you can actually deal damage because it was an arcade game and it needed to eat quarters.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember Jetpac Refuelled being a fun game I could never beat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I was but a gaming youth I had no choice but to blame my various failures upon myself rather than the far more comforting convenience of declaring a game to be a buggy piece of poo poo in the present. It was a tragic childhood.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There's a game that's been nagging at me, but I can't remember the title and I don't have a lot to go on. Maybe someone else's memory will be dinged by the rather vague description I can give. It was a Japanese game that I'm fairly certain was released for the PS2. It was an RPG, and I think it was in fact a tactical RPG. The story has some similarities to Demon's Souls, in that your character enters a kind of forbidden land that's been overtaken by hostile, demonic forces and sort of magically separated from the rest of the world, and the tone and atmosphere was rather similar as well. I recall the protagonist was female, but there might have been a choice between a male and female PC? There was also an LP up of it on LP archive, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. It's not an SMT game -- the setting was kinda medieval/renaissance-esque. There was also a main town hub with a good number of NPCs.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I'm currently playing Trails of Cold Steel, Yakuza 0 and Dragon Quest VIII all at the same time. Oh, also just bought a Wii U for 200 bux on eBay and got TMS #FE for it too. I make very good purchasing decisions when it comes to wasting my own time with pointless diversions :anime:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

There's no padding, the sorceress isn't even wearing a bra :downsrim:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

I also felt terrible for Mercedes.

Yeah, it was kinda strange how every other playable character was given an out as a means of surviving the end of the world but Mercedes is just like "welp I did a thing, time to explode"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, it was kinda strange how every other playable character was given an out as a means of surviving the end of the world but Mercedes is just like "welp I did a thing, time to explode"

Mercedes deserved better. :smith: Sure, Ingway was kind of a poo poo, but he was getting better. At least he and Mercedes could've gotten to see each other one last time. The poor kids.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There's a game that's been nagging at me, but I can't remember the title and I don't have a lot to go on. Maybe someone else's memory will be dinged by the rather vague description I can give. It was a Japanese game that I'm fairly certain was released for the PS2. It was an RPG, and I think it was in fact a tactical RPG. The story has some similarities to Demon's Souls, in that your character enters a kind of forbidden land that's been overtaken by hostile, demonic forces and sort of magically separated from the rest of the world, and the tone and atmosphere was rather similar as well. I recall the protagonist was female, but there might have been a choice between a male and female PC? There was also an LP up of it on LP archive, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. It's not an SMT game -- the setting was kinda medieval/renaissance-esque. There was also a main town hub with a good number of NPCs.

When you say Japanese, do you mean it never got a US release? Is it one on this list? http://www.gamefaqs.com/top10/2755-the-top-10-ps2-japan-only-games-you-may-not-know-rpg

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I beat 3 games in January so I'm mostly going to spend February trying to not buy Yakuza til I whittle down my backlog a bit more.

Time to finally get more than an hour into Bloodborne and beat Dying Light whenever my friends are available.

e: I've also told myself I need to beat Bloodborne and DkS3 before I get Nioh which means I'll probably get Nioh in like October.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 1, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Nintendo still releases games.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

suuma posted:

I beat 3 games in January so I'm mostly going to spend February trying to not buy Yakuza til I whittle down my backlog a bit more.

Time to finally get more than an hour into Bloodborne and beat Dying Light whenever my friends are available.

e: I've also told myself I need to beat Bloodborne and DkS3 before I get Nioh which means I'll probably get Nioh in like October.

It took me setting aside an entire afternoon to actually get into bloodborne this past week, but now i can't put it down. Once you get out of the first area and start opening shortcuts it get's a lot more fun imo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Really Pants posted:

Remember when Final Fantasy 6 was more broken than the past decade of Bethesda RPGs combined despite being infinitely more mechanically simple? Like, multiple stats just straight up didn't work.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really happy that Switch is using carts for the games because probably my #1 least favorite thing about modern gaming is that even when you have the disc in hand and put it into your console theres like an hour where you can't play the game because it has to install. It sounds minor and sure it's a one time thing but it just ticks me off that theres no reason whatsoever to buy physical games for PS4/Xbox.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I play and enjoy video games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if the February PS+ games are any good (LittleBigPlanet 3/Not a Hero)

Has the platforming gotten any better since the first LBP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Loose Ifer posted:

It took me setting aside an entire afternoon to actually get into bloodborne this past week, but now i can't put it down. Once you get out of the first area and start opening shortcuts it get's a lot more fun imo.

Yeah, it's great. I just got involved in other games and put it down for a while.

I know everybody says they're not super comparable but I can't help making the comparison - I beat Dark Souls 1 like 15 times and got all of the achievements, but just couldn't really get into 2. 3 was great but I never finished it because there was too much other stuff to play.

suuma fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 1, 2017

• Locked thread