Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

I'm really happy that Switch is using carts for the games because probably my #1 least favorite thing about modern gaming is that even when you have the disc in hand and put it into your console theres like an hour where you can't play the game because it has to install. It sounds minor and sure it's a one time thing but it just ticks me off that theres no reason whatsoever to buy physical games for PS4/Xbox.

Breath of the Wild will have a mandatory install but I think it's just a couple gigs, not the whole game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

goferchan posted:

Breath of the Wild will have a mandatory install but I think it's just a couple gigs, not the whole game

Only for the Wii U version, which is a disc.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Phantasium posted:

Still playing Berseria, looking like I'm not going to be done by the time Nioh comes out, and oh...

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/31/way-samurai-melding-secret-mana-diablo-introducing-obcidian-legacy/

...I see this this morning and they said the magic words. Also it's already out in early access and the only reason it's in early access is the multiplayer I don't intend to touch and the single player is already done? God drat it.

Have you tried this yet? Looks pretty basic and simple.
Looks to use a similar skill system to PoE which could be good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FillInTheBlank posted:

Have you tried this yet? Looks pretty basic and simple.
Looks to use a similar skill system to PoE which could be good.

Probably not playing many games today at all, honestly.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
GameStop is doing a lovely thing

quote:

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

So if someone walks into GameStop and picks up, say, a brand new copy of Yakuza 0 without 1) pre-ordering another game, 2) subscribing for a new rewards card, 3) buying a used game, or 4) trading in some games to help pay for it, then the transaction will knock down all four percentages.

The more new games an employee sells, the more used games they’ll have to sell to make up for it. In other words, according to salespeople speaking to Kotaku and elsewhere on the internet, GameStop is incentivizing employees to stop people from buying new games and hardware. GameStop staff say the company has threatened to fire people who don’t hit these quotas, which is leading to all sorts of scuzzy tactics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't new. Gamestop was doing this as decade ago, it was one of my first part-time jobs and the exact same thing happened then.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Only for the Wii U version, which is a disc.

Yeah Xenoblade had this as well. Actually I guess I don't know if Switch will require the download too though...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/826888948660191232

It looks like the Steam store is getting a revamp.

I wonder how many Dota2 crates* they gave to the unpaid community members they assembled to build and code this new UI.

*Keys sold separately

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

snake pass is by Sumo Digital, they made Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, I've been sitting on a three-month PS+ card since October and I'm considering redeeming it this month for LBP3.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't new. Gamestop was doing this as decade ago, it was one of my first part-time jobs and the exact same thing happened then.

Retail is basically the worst along with food service and people should have to experience it so they know. They must know.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not gonna lie, I've been sitting on a three-month PS+ card since October and I'm considering redeeming it this month for LBP3.

LBP is bad

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

snake pass is by Sumo Digital, they made Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

They also did the Kart Racing gamemode in Disney Infinity 3!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

Retail is basically the worst along with food service and people should have to experience it so they know. They must know.

I know too much

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does the hummingbird do

I hope you try to eat it all game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I know too much

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah lol welcome to retail, want a credit card with insane interest? It's really good for building credit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Yeah lol welcome to retail, want a credit card with insane interest? It's really good for building credit.

Also a 10% discount on this purchase for signing up and also the whole process takes like an hour. What a steal, it's practically free money and not a massive inconvenience to do all this at checkout.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I finally gave up on waiting for new... New 3DS' to come in stock in stores after the holiday rush so I got a refurb from Nintendo, so I should also finally be able to play freaking 3DS games after months of hiatus.

I'm sure my Picross 3D skills have rotted out in that time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I'm sure my Picross 3D skills have rotted out in that time.

I believe in you. It's like riding a bicycle

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

devtesla posted:

I believe in you. It's like riding a bicycle

Not a good analogy for me, I think I stopped trying to ride bikes after the tenth time I got wounded.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wait, people still buy physical copies?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just bought a physical copy of Mafia III today because it was on sale on Amazon for $20

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ekster posted:

Wait, people still buy physical copies?

While they're still a shitload cheaper than digital ones, yeah.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Amazon's 20% off preorders is dangerous

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Preordering games is good and I like doing it :cool:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

devtesla posted:

You get £2 off preorders here, so generous :rolleyes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

devtesla posted:

their trade in offers rarely fall below 30 dollars within the first 2-3 months that a game is out either so you're looking at newly released games for a 17ish dollar rental if you can let them go.

i sell most games and just get them on digtial discount black friday type sales later if i miss them

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still got the rolling credit at local gamestore.

I would use that Amazon discount more often, but it means spending actual money instead of game money I technically spent years ago.

Though it saved me $30 off the collector's edition of Berseria.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm just now getting the time to dig into Dragon Quest 8 and dang this new photography sidequest is pushing some good buttons. Chat Thread what are some other games with cute photography? I already know of
-Pokemon Snap
-Beyond Good and Evil
-Wind Waker HD
-Fatal Frame

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Looper posted:

I'm just now getting the time to dig into Dragon Quest 8 and dang this new photography sidequest is pushing some good buttons. Chat Thread what are some other games with cute photography? I already know of
-Pokemon Snap
-Beyond Good and Evil
-Wind Waker HD
-Fatal Frame

Dark Cloud 2

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Looper posted:

-Pokemon Snap
-Beyond Good and Evil
-Wind Waker HD
-Fatal Frame

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat, was just about to suggest Dead Rising

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gravity rush 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bioshock

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

uncharted 4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When you think about it, there's not much difference between shooting pictures with a camera, and shooting bullets with a gun. I'd pay for a Call of Duty game where you're a journalist in Syria or some made up country that really is Syria.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one of the best parts of hitman is how eager 47 is to point out that doing things is a lot like shooting a gun. "cameraman, we need to you point and shoot" "my specialty"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah he makes a lot of fun comments, like I bet he says "It's to die for" as he hands a poisoned sushi roll to his target while dressed as a chef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Shadow Hearts Covenant has a character whose special ability is the asking photos of things.

Rival Schools has a fighter who uses a camera as a weapon.

Mad Max has a great camera mode.

Michigan: Report from Hell takes place entirely through a camera's viewfinder.

But the standout choice for camera game has to go to my boy Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

• Locked thread