Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

When you think about it, there's not much difference between shooting pictures with a camera, and shooting bullets with a gun. I'd pay for a Call of Duty game where you're a journalist in Syria or some made up country that really is Syria.

Time Magazine had a piece where they had a war photographer play Last of Us and use the photo mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

well-

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

I think its setting is cool--I'm a sucker for the "overgrown, verdant post-apocalypse" thing like Hyper Light Drifter or even The Last of Us--but everything about the game itself looks like it's just going to put me right to sleep.

This week's Humble Bundle has ENSLAVED™: Odyssey to the West™ in the pay-what-you-want tier, if you like overgrown post-apocalyptic sci-fi landscapes the environments in that game are fantastic and varied, especially considering it was a mid-generation Xbox 360 game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shame about the rest of the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvBqRJDYYA

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I watched most of Enslaved in LP format and it was clear I was missing very little by not playing it myself. Pretty game, but utterly mindless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Is GameStop Monkey like an actual job that's in high demand or whatever? Around here, GameStop hires the people who are too dumb to work at McDonald's and pays them accordingly, and anytime I've ever known one of the employees they've been like "yeah there's all this stuff we're supposed to do but since it's so hard to keep employees here period nobody actually gives a poo poo".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I still miss Ryan Davis. :sigh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whenever I go into EB Games it's always a pleasant and painless experience that I'm thankful for. GameStop sounds like real bullshit retail.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did the joke fly over my head because those are the same company

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
EB Games and GameStop are literally the same thing since like 2004 I thought? At least in America.

I don't doubt that they have quotas and such but in my experience a lot of that stuff is blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if all these anonymous employees talking to Kotaku are Record Store Clerk types.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

EB Games and GameStop are literally the same thing since like 2004 I thought? At least in America.

I don't doubt that they have quotas and such but in my experience a lot of that stuff is blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if all these anonymous employees talking to Kotaku are Record Store Clerk types.

They're absolutely not. Like I said this poo poo had been going on for decades and you can ask any Gamestop employee. At best it depends on how much of a shithead their manager or their manager's manager is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

There's a bunch of comments on the article from people that say they're employees or ex-employees and they all say Kotaku isn't exaggerating at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the GameStop where I used to live because there was a girl there who loved anime games and the simple act of me buying an atlus game seemed to make her happy. Sometimes simple joys are all you need

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I liked the GameStop where I used to live because there was a girl there who loved anime games and the simple act of me buying an atlus game seemed to make her happy. Sometimes simple joys are all you need

You should have married her, and played anime games together.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gamestop is awesome because it seems like they only ever hire people who loving hate Gamestop and will do anything to undercut their terrible business scumminess. I bought my new new 3ds from Gamestop and I only noticed after I bought it that the guy sold it to me for the trade-in upgrade price, and to this day I am not sure if he did it by accident or on purpose.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

You should have married her, and played anime games together.

Maybe. Although now I live somewhere completely different and by a store that breaks street date which is cooler imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

They're absolutely not. Like I said this poo poo had been going on for decades and you can ask any Gamestop employee. At best it depends on how much of a shithead their manager or their manager's manager is.

I mean, I said I have known GameStop employees recently though. I'm totally aware that things vary by location, which is why I was surprised in the first place - the manager of the one by me legitimately doesn't fire people for quotas because, as I said, he has an insane problem with keeping people and the people that do want to work there are Record Store Clerks (meaning, they want to do as little work as possible and think that because they know a lot about obscure Japanese video games they should be Assistant Manager).

I wasn't being flip when I said they hire the people who are too lazy or stupid to work a fast food job. That's literally who they hire here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like I should get a job at GameStop

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I've set foot in a chain game shop in over fifteen years. If you are going to go brick and mortar you may as well try to support locally-owned business

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

did the joke fly over my head because those are the same company

Not a joke. They might be the same company (and we're used to it here in Toronto with Future Shop/Best Buy, Chapters/Indigo) but there are no GameStops anywhere and the EBs are always chill.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I've set foot in a chain game shop in over fifteen years. If you are going to go brick and mortar you may as well try to support locally-owned business

i don't think i've ever once seen what you're talking about here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I have seen exactly 0 locally owned game stores that aren't pawn shops.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's almost no reason anyone with Internet access should use GameStop unless you just want to impulse buy fifty used Wii games for ten bucks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those no longer really exist, Gamestop crushed them in the late 90s/early 2000s with its ridiculous resale prices and larger selection.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I have seen exactly 0 locally owned game stores that aren't pawn shops.

There was one right in my town but it just unexpectedly shuttered last month

They had a bunch of old cartridges and stuff in there and the owner seemed like a nice guy :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't think i've ever once seen what you're talking about here

From my experience there's one in San Francisco New York and Chicago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Comic book stores often have used games way cheaper than GameStop.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

drat I must be lucky, then. There's like four different locally owned shops around here, once one of them started selling new games they all did to compete, and they all started selling them for $5 cheaper than MSRP too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

River City Ransom Underground is FINALLY arriving this month after almost 4 years and it is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

River City Ransom Underground is FINALLY arriving this month after almost 4 years and it is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

I really hope it's gotten better since the builds I played. :ohdear:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Those no longer really exist, Gamestop crushed them in the late 90s/early 2000s with its ridiculous resale prices and larger selection.

We have a handful here in Austin. In small towns, I'd guess to be very rare or impossible to find an independent game store though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've finally gotten around to trying out the Plague Knight thing for Shovel Knight and I'm afraid even after an hour I don't like playing him very much

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ciaphas posted:

I've finally gotten around to trying out the Plague Knight thing for Shovel Knight and I'm afraid even after an hour I don't like playing him very much

Yeah, neither did I.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did you guys get the float thing, that really makes a difference in the learning curve at least until you get a better handle on the mechanics.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

plague knight is very fast and it feels good to 1-2-3 jump bomb hover over the level

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Did you guys get the float thing, that really makes a difference in the learning curve at least until you get a better handle on the mechanics.

I got a handle on it just fine, and in fact preferred the basic blast to the float blast before long, I just didn't like it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand I've just been shown Alwa's Awakening coming out tomorrow and that looks like my jam, yessirree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

On the other hand I've just been shown Alwa's Awakening coming out tomorrow and that looks like my jam, yessirree
Yeah I'm hip to it, I asked for a review copy but idk if I'm gonna get it. I am digging the return of the Spectrum-style room-by-room metroidvanias

• Locked thread