Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anybody here heard about that metroid prequel romhack thing, metroid before dawn or whatever? How is it?

MinibarMatchman posted:

River City Ransom Underground is FINALLY arriving this month after almost 4 years and it is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

Yessssssssssssssssssss fuckin finally!! I was so excited this time last year but they were like "yeah it'll be released q1 2016!" "q2!" "q3!" "q4!" so I'm glad it has a definitive release date. I'm excited as gently caress for it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Gray Fox was Rob Paulsen? :psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happy February, games chat thread. I will enjoy stopping by to talk about my latest incompetent blunders in Bloodborne, my Saturday visits from my brother for Final Fantasy XV, and my quest to get my friend to come over to play The Witcher 3, since he is the only one at our weekly game night who has not played it, and would very much enjoy it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

precision posted:

Comic book stores often have used games way cheaper than GameStop.

In my experience, used game stores all have eBay storefronts and price appropriately, maybe five bucks off Gamestop tops

Unless you catch Gamestop being lazy, but they always correct to the market eventually

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah I'm hip to it, I asked for a review copy but idk if I'm gonna get it. I am digging the return of the Spectrum-style room-by-room metroidvanias

I'd love to hear first impressions, i'm gonna be working late tomorrow so i can't impulse buy it immediately, rip

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finished up Environmental Station Alpha. Pretty good game, bit frustrating at time (especially some map segments of the game), but maintained a nice level of challenge throughout. Well, until the Overcharge powerup anyway, but I'm guessing that's intended to be a 'secret' powerup much like the 3-way was.

Kinda annoying that there really isn't a 'good' ending or anything like that. There's just the normal Bad ending, a Worse ending, then a whole slew of bizarre ARG-like end things that involve doing a bunch of obscure nonsense. Oh well. Guess next up is Wuppo. :goleft:

Sounds like Shantae HGH is getting all of the modes they listed on the Kickstarter, even the ones they didn't hit the goal for. Risky, Sky, Bolo, Rotty, and the 3 different outfits (which I guess are stat/skill swaps). Should be fun to revisit again with the new modes.

Started playing X-Com 2 this month, never bothered to play the first new remake but it doesn't sound like I'm missing out too much anyway. Game is fun but boy is it stressful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems legit

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
30 hours in and Berseria is starting to wear on me, mostly because the pacing stumbled a bit and the game decided to dump 2.5 hours of voiced exposition with little combat or comedy in between. I've started to skip talking to npcs that aren't voiced too. I've also heard that the final dungeon is really bad so my interest is waning

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even if you prefer it I feel that mastering the float jump in Plague Knight is almost mandatory, otherwise the platforming just becomes too much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna try to doing a no upgrades run of Plague.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goon Succinctandpunchy speedran the first stage demo for Freedom Planet 2, game looks much prettier than the first one, and way smoother than any recent Sonic game, moreso than Freedom Planet 1 too which is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJD_KEMHc4c&hd=1

edit: it's blurry due to them loving up the recording, but it's easy to see it's a lot smoother than the original behind the blurriness

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 2, 2017

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Put up the pre-order page already, the makers of Freedom Planet 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not putting my money down until I can be assured that Freedom Planet 2 has an overlong and frankly bizarre main story that's totally at odds with the bright bubbly gameplay.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Rest assured the world will be in peril again, and also the galaxy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But there's also plenty of shenanigans, and sushi, and slumber parties!!!!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-201_en.htm

neat

quote:

The Commission is investigating bilateral agreements concluded between Valve Corporation, owner of the Steam game distribution platform, and five PC video game publishers, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Focus Home, Koch Media and ZeniMax. The investigation concerns geo-blocking practices, where companies prevent consumers from purchasing digital content, in this case PC video games, because of the consumer's location or country of residence.
After the purchase of certain PC video games users need to confirm that their copy of the game is not pirated to be able to play it. This is done with an "activation key" on Valve's game distribution platform, Steam. This system is applied for a wide range of games, including sports, simulation and action games.
The investigation focuses on whether the agreements in question require or have required the use of activation keys for the purpose of geo-blocking. In particular, an "activation key" can grant access to a purchased game only to consumers in a particular EU Member State (for example the Czech Republic or Poland). This may amount to a breach of EU competition rules by reducing cross-border competition as a result of restricting so-called "parallel trade" within the Single Market and preventing consumers from buying cheaper games that may be available in other Member States.
The Commission is carrying out this in-depth investigation on its own initiative.

Article 101 TFEU prohibits agreements between undertakings and decisions of associations of undertakings that prevent, restrict or distort competition within the EU's Single Market.
The opening of formal proceedings does not prejudge the outcome of the investigation. It relieves the competition authorities of EU Member States of their competence to apply EU competition rules to the practices concerned.
There is no legal deadline for bringing an antitrust investigation to an end. The duration of an investigation depends on a number of factors, including the complexity of the case, the cooperation of the companies with the Commission and the exercise of the rights of defence.
The consumer electronics and video games investigations announced today are the first following up on some of the issues identified in the Commission's competition sector inquiry on e-commerce.
More information on the investigations will be available on the Commission's competition website, in the public case register: for the video games investigation under the case numbers AT.40413 (Focus Home), AT.40414 (Koch Media), AT.40420 (ZeniMax), AT.40422 (Bandai Namco), AT.40424 (Capcom); for the hotel pricing investigation under the case number AT.40308 and for the retail price agreements investigation under the case numbers AT.40465 (Asus), AT.40469 (Denon & Marantz), AT.40181 (Philips), AT.40182 (Pioneer).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Captain Invictus posted:

But there's also plenty of shenanigans, and sushi, and slumber parties!!!!

Sold! To the creepy man in the overcoat who lives in the alley behind my apartment!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's cool

Shame we won't be in the EU much longer....

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is that saying that you can't disallow people from buying a version of a game from a country where it is priced cheaply and activate it on your Steam account from outside that country?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Is that saying that you can't disallow people from buying a version of a game from a country where it is priced cheaply and activate it on your Steam account from outside that country?

I think so - if both countries are within the EU single market, anyways.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes, basically. EU citizens have a right to be able to buy from the whole EU market.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dragon Quest 8 posted:

Yangus's Humanity level increased!

He becomes a sentimental old sausage!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wanna play dat game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Started Shovel Knight last night and I'm really feeling it after only one level (well, plus the village). It's so authentic throughout, like I really am playing a game from the era. Well, except for the screen size. Having the game make use of modern huge and widescreen TVs is one welcome change. I look forward to getting a calloused thumb from using the d-pad so much!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing shovel knight on an 8bitdo controller is heavenly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Shovel Knight somehow strikes this uncanny balance between feeling like an old game while having none of the annoying issues that actual old games have.

It's really a true gem and I can't wait to see what Yacht Club does next once they're finished delivering on alllllllll of the stretch goals.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

We have a handful here in Austin. In small towns, I'd guess to be very rare or impossible to find an independent game store though.

Wait what why did we never hang out

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Shovel Knight somehow strikes this uncanny balance between feeling like an old game while having none of the annoying issues that actual old games have.

There are obvious things that are unmistakably modern or not of the era, like everything that has to do with saving. Or the feats. Or tying what would have been a SFX/BGM menu screen into a collectibles hunt. But I'm not looking to play an actual NES game. I want it to be a modern game but one that can replicate what made the best games of that era so fun. Well, fun and also beautifully pixelicious and cartoony in the vein of Mega Man or Duck Tales rather than the less-detailed pixel sprites of Contra or Bro Force.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The devblog where they discuss the four or five colors they used that weren't in the NES pallette was fascinating

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's a dev diary about how plague knight originally collected like 10 different materials from different levels to craft stuff but it was awful so they made plague knight fun instead

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr Cheeto posted:

The devblog where they discuss the four or five colors they used that weren't in the NES pallette was fascinating

The part on HUDs as a background layer was cool and how on the NES, because the HUD was technically background, you could be in front of it so to speak.

You don't get much more authentic or iconic an NES experience than mimicking this:

Article here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Not putting my money down until I can be assured that Freedom Planet 2 has an overlong and frankly bizarre main story that's totally at odds with the bright bubbly gameplay.

I knew what I was in for when cute fuzzy Panda Prince saw his dad get decapitated by a Power Rangers villain.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

there's a dev diary about how plague knight originally collected like 10 different materials from different levels to craft stuff but it was awful so they made plague knight fun instead

I really appreciate this

"Waaaiiiit a minute... crafting sucks! Dammit!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In lieu of a Nioh review, Polygon posted an apology that they haven't been able to get far enough into it to write one.

:gitgud:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Implying game journalists finish videogames.

Implying game journalists play videogames.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seems fair to me tbh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll start a video game publication for gamers, by gamers!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Will you pay me to write about the maybe one or two games a year I manage to finish?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Hell I'm with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

polygon should apologize for doing things other than making griffin / justin / nick videos

• Locked thread