Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, well, well. Look what it is. The Gen-Con Thread. Never thought I would see you again.

Without further ado, DR. QUAREX
...and...
the SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS
welcome you to.....................
GEN CON 2017!!!

Wait hold on this is n--

oh no. I am, of course, not good with computers, let me try to get the right picture p

ah dammit what

ugh

O.K.

GEN-CON!!!

THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN GAMING,
actually, more like
THE BEST FOUR DAYS OF THE YEAR,
and really,
THE BEST FIVE-SEVEN DAYS OF THE YEAR DEPENDING ON HOW EARLY YOU DECIDE TO GET TO INDIANAPOLIS AND JOIN THE 60,000+ GAMERS TURNING IT INTO AN ALMOST-LITERAL GAMETOPIA

Whether you are into boardgames, role-playing games, collectible trading card games, collectible deck-building games, collectible soup-eating, the biggest (like football-field-or-bigger) room full of nerdy things to buy you will ever see, kosupure, vidja, terrible Apples to Apples knockoffs, foam weapon jousting, poorly-timed nerd trivia, live-action dungeon-crawl-pretending, infinite food, tiny metal figurines, the animes, fursuits or whatever, or just into THE BEST AUCTION IN THE UNIVERSE, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

Whether you live in CONSTANT FEAR OF HUMAN CONTACT or CANNOT STOP TOUCHING OTHERS EVEN AFTER SPENDING TIME IN JAIL FOR IT, you will have an amazing time at Gen-Con.

Gen Con Indy posted:

A consumer and trade experience dedicated to gaming culture and community. Gen Con Indy is the largest annual consumer fantasy, electronic, sci-fi, adventure and hobby game convention in North America. Each year gaming enthusiasts converge to share their love for all things gaming, from tournaments to guest appearances, exhibit hall booths to electronic games, workshops, seminars, anime, art shows, auctions and countless other activities.

YES, WE HAVE IT ALL AT OLD GENNECONNE TOWNE:

FUN!

GAMES!

PRIZES!

GEN-CON!

UNFATHOMABLE SORROW!
actually this is pretty awesome
Wh
hey Infrno how is your roleplaying 2.0 going? oh... oh my god it still exists, I am impressed

CHILL VAMPIRES!

Once upon a time, Gen-Con's event schedule looked like this, in case you were thinking that reading the current event charts was annoying:

This process taught me that IMGur has a seeming 10 megabyte upload limit for photos. I realize I am an idiot for making scans of old magazines that are this big.

Anyway,
I am going to make the second post the "learn about how to Gen-Con" post so I can get this post made, since... BADGES ARE ON SAAAAAAAAAAALE

I will also probably continually expand the pictures in this post, particularly if we get the legendary "pictures from last year" that I am unable to provide for a change. But rest assured, to the best of my knowledge I am having zero babies during Gen-Con this year and thus will be able to attend (though I am, as always, open to receiving Eihort's Brood)

OH YEAH AND IT TAKES PLACE AUGUST 17 - 20, 2017

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Q. WHEN IS IT?
A. Dude I already said, August 17-20, 2017.

Events officially start Wednesday night in a very small number (I think limited to a couple of parties and other informational events?) and then Thursday morning at 8 A.M. ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE and events run constantly until Sunday afternoon at 6 P.M. Or maybe it is only 5, but I feel like some things start at 4 and go 2 hours. Whatever, you will be dead by then anyway.

Sort of related, here is an Android thing for maps and events and stuff that does seem to get updated every year: THE UNOFFICIAL 2014 GEN CON APP

Q. WHAT DO I DO THERE?
A. THERE IS LITERALLY NO END TO THE JOY YOU CAN EXPERIENCE WHILE THERE

SO MUCH NO LIMIT THAT I AM NOT EVEN WRITING THIS SECTION YET BUT I WILL FILL IT IN SOON oh but in the meantime have a few choice posts from previous years:

camoseven posted:

:guinness: GENERAL INDY BEER INFO :guinness:
I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

Q. HOW DO I GET THERE?
A. Trains? Planes? Automobiles? Not the bus, though. Oh man. Never the bus. Well, O.K., bus if you must.

Most people do not recommend the Indianapolis airport, mostly because it is expensive and there are not all that many flights, but it certainly is still an airport you can use, and the shuttle to downtown is (supposedly? I think?) pretty good, if you wanted to stay at an airport hotel and roll that way, which would probably remain a viable choice up until right before the convention. Probably.

Also our official GroupMe room is probably still going, I did not have the heart to reinstall it after finding out I could not go last year and I should probably get around to that again huh:

Q. WHO AM I?
A. Everyone must learn to answer this question on their own.

Q. SHOULD I BRING ANYTHING?
A. Well, yes. I made this list in the past and I will just copy it verbatim
  • Dice
  • Chargers for what ails ya (phone, laptop, tablet, tableau, plateau, mesa)
  • Batteries, failing to remember your chargers
  • iGizmos/Cameras/Phones/Whatever
  • Googies (my Mom's aphasiac word for "snacks to eat on the go")
  • Hand sanitizer FOR EMERGENCIES
  • Notepads(tm) (hey, I take notes on my phone too, but sometimes paper comes up)
  • Pens/pencils
  • Black AND Silver(!) Sharpies for autographs on light or dark surfaces(!!!)
  • YOUR MEDICINE/PAINKILLERS/BANDAGES/INSULIN/TESTOSTERONE
  • Probably some insoles or gel inserts or foam blocks to walk on or whatever
MORE OPTIONAL
  • Collapsible/lightweight water bottle with flavored beverage pouches
  • Gum!
  • Splenda, mayonnaise, and hot sauce packets: The Condiment Trifecta
  • TRAVEL CUTLERY KIT!!!!!
  • Suggested Road Food For Travellers On Facebook Page: Quest Nutrition Quest Bars(tm[tm])

Q. WHY DO I WANT TO GO?
A. Because... well first off if none of what has already been said interests you then I LITERALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY OR HOW, but furthermore, Gen-Con is somehow even more than the sum of its parts, and its parts are so amazing on their own that they are sufficient on their own to draw a crowd as well. But some sort of magical exponential joy-growth occurs within a 1-mile radius of downtown Indianapolis during Gen-Con, and it is like everyone everywhere has a good time no matter how hard they try to be unhappy (and we know some nerds do try very hard). I am someone who is pretty happy a lot of the time, but I am still not sure I am ever quite so excited for an extended period of time as I am when at Gen-Con.

Q. Do you have some sort of LIST OF INTERNET-BASED AUDIO BROADCASTS ON THE SUBJECT
A. No.

8one6 posted:

We recorded a Tips for Gen Con episode for our podcast a couple of years ago, if you want to listen it's here. (I've skipped it past the unrelated spotlight at the beginning.)

My podcast just posted out Tips for Gen Con episode here!

Edit: I should mention the episode features fellow goon Bucnasti!

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-2014 Gen Con 2014

https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/sets/gen-con-1 Gen Con 2013

If you want '12, '11, or '10 let me know and I can upload them to soundcloud when I get home tonight.

Quarex posted:

I did a few guest stints on some friends' INTERNET AUDIO BROADCAST a few years back, and one of the times they wanted me to come in was when they were doing a Gen-Con special. My favorite moment of the entire thing starts at 38:50 when the guy who has never gone to Gen-Con asks about vices ... and ... oh god. The resolution still makes me happy.

If you want to skip an entirely unfortunate discussion of the female attractiveness at the convention over the years (I always have to pick my battles), avoid 03:00 to 06:00.

OR ALTERNATELY PODBEAN SUCKS AND DELETED ALL ITS SHOWS FROM BEFORE SOME POINT IN 2011, COOL THANKS INTERNET #1

Q. WHAT IS FOOD
A. PLACES EVERYONE SEEMS TO SUGGEST YOU EAT IN THE AREA:

Firstly, a map showing all the places to eat close to the Convention center. The closest food to the convention itself is likely in the form of food trucks on Georgia Street (right outside the uhh East entrance I think). I have heard basically only good things about all of those trucks though I have not tried them myself yet.
  • The Ram (brewpub with gamer-themed menu, albeit one that has been slacking off in recent years due to...)
  • Scotty's Brewhouse (...the old manager at the Ram moving here and taking his gamer-enthusiasm with him)
  • Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, though Lawen would kill me if I did not mention St. Elmo Steakhouse in the same breath
  • And speaking of St. Elmo, after 2015, Harry & Izzy's actually became my favorite place to eat in Indianapolis, because as Mudcrab Merchant points out, it is basically the food from St. Elmo (connected next door) but at a fraction of the price.
  • First Watch (I have not been there but apparently it has the FRESHEST INGREDIENTS despite being a chain)
  • Patachou (closes at like 3 P.M., but legitimately amazing quality breakfast/lunch)
  • STEAK 'N' SHAKE BECAUSE I AM FROM NORMAL, ILLINOIS AND I WILL BE PROUD OF OUR HOMETOWN CREATION UNTIL THE DAY I DIE
  • Bacon Legs & Turntables, suggested by ME because IT IS CALLED BACON LEGS & TURNTABLES (they feature each of those three things, you see [who cares {just go <yes>}]) ugh what cruel deity closed this place before I could ever even go there
  • Haveli is the most commonly Goon-recommended Indian place. Certainly it is good, and they apparently have a lunch buffet, if you are some sort of "lunch-eater."
  • Prime 47, if you want to go a little farther for some food you also cannot afford. I remember going here with my then-girlfriend once and it was very good, but we also felt strange eating somewhere so fancy while wearing Hawaiian shirts.
  • And Yard House is heartily recommended by RADIO FREE WALRUS
  • Thanks to CellBlock, we now know that

CellBlock posted:

there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place
    , conveniently located in the Circle Centre Mall (also known as "the thing that you always walk past near the Convention Center but quite possibly have never gone into that has the movie theater")
  • PLUS apparently Café Patachou has opened a pizzeria called Napolese Pizzeria which is also seemingly in the Circle Center Mall so I need to eat there RIGHT NOW

If you are one of the 1% of attendees able to walk under her/his own power, here are some of the best Indianapolis restaurants that are still technically walkable but are probably like a mile away or so:
  • Milktooth, suggested by DJFooBoo as the "head chef is a James Beard award winner who focuses on breakfast/brunch. Holy poo poo you should eat there dumbass!" Thanks ;(
  • MacNivens for Great Scotch Eggs!
  • Mesh on Mass is "spectacular" THAT IS ALL I KNOW
  • Not gonna lie, I have wanted to go to The Rathskeller ever since Gen-Con first moved, as it somehow got talked up as the single place you absolutely must go that was not close to the convention. Needless to say I have therefore never gone, but I DO love me some good German food.
  • Bazbeaux for pizza
  • Bakersfield for tacos...!??
  • Bru Burger for ... burgers
  • Bluebeard sounds like a pretty amazing place with a constantly-changing menu
  • Union 50 sounds delicious though it has LIVE MUSIC so BEWARE
  • Shapiro's Delicatessen made a list of the best 25 restaurants in Indianapolis so just go there already
  • Long's Bakery for THE BEST DONUTS APPARENTLY
  • Fogo De Chao to gorge on unlimited top-notch steak and other meaty gubbins

Here is VISIT INDY'S list of all its restaurants that have appeared on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (a show on the Food Network here in The America). Oh and looking at the list in 2017 it appears they added/I never noticed the places featured on Man vs. Food, Eat Street, Top 5 Restaurants, and The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Repeat offenders from Goon recommendations on these these lists: St. Elmo Steakhouse and Milktooth. Guess those two really are awesome.

And here we have VISIT INDY's list of its TOP 25 LOCAL RESTAURANTS! Several Gen-Con/this post favorites show up, including Café Patachou, Scotty's Brewhouse, Bazbeaux, and St. Elmo.

Q. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER GENERIC TIPS FOR ME
A. YES AND YES I DID STEAL THE IDEA FOR THIS SECTION FROM LAST YEAR'S EXCELLENT COMIC CON THREAD

Oh but first LuiCypher wrote a GUIDE

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh. I don't know what compelled me to do this, but here's the quintessential GenCon Housing Guide based upon both my experiences and those of other goons in this thread for TYOOL 2017. Let me know if you think I missed anything major.
  • If you are not in good enough shape to be on your feet for hours a day and to walk about a dozen miles over the course of several days, you might want to get on that. For reasons entirely unrelated to the convention, generally, but in this case specifically for the convention.
  • Having cash-money can be very valuable, as some vendors in the exhibit hall are not equipped to take credit cards (though this is increasingly less common in the era of Square), and others will give you a discount for using cash (the Auction/Auction Store in particular charges the full credit card fee so that the sellers are not penalized for the payment method). There are ATMs but of course they are frequently out of cash on convention days, so plan ahead!
  • The Comic Con thread suggests the 6/2/1 rule, though I prefer the 5/3/1 rule, but the idea is the same: Sleep at least 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1 shower every day. Honestly, if you can handle going a long time without eating, I suggest taking advantage of your hotel's free breakfast buffet (you should stay at a hotel with a free breakfast buffet) and stuffing yourself silly and then trying to make it until dinner time, since nearby businesses are often packed during lunchtime and ending up missing two quality hours of the exhibit hall just to eat a sandwich seems like a bad deal to me. And yes, this is often called the "3/2/1" rule, but seriously, I have never seen anyone consistently sleep ~3 hours a night and not end up literally passing out AT THE GAMING TABLE by day three.
  • Be like me and buy this bag and bring it with you because it rules. Or if you must, just make sure you have some other equally-sturdy bag; do not be one of those rolling-suitcase-in-packed-crowd jerks. Edit: Thanks for pointing out the broken link Admiral Joeslop and thanks Deviant for immediately linking to it
  • Oh if you are into this kind of thing here are the relevant links: Gen Con Official Twitterrrrrr, Gen Con Indy Official FAAaaAAaacebOoOOOK, Wizards of the Coast's Gen-Con Retrospective Page
  • Oh neat and they also have a Jon Peterson-authored timeline of important Dungeons & Dragons events; this is pretty Gen-Con-related
  • Slandible posted:

E>> One other thing I would suggest I didn't see in the OP, is dressing in layers. I know it's the middle of summer and you're going to be packed into the center like cattle, but by around 8 pm, a large amount of people start leaving. And by close to midnight, all the AC units in the place turn it into a giant meat locker. I froze my rear end off the first night.
  • GO TO GEN CON. GO TO GEN CON.
  • GO. TO. GEN. CON.

And see you there.

(Thanks Nesbit37)

(Thanks Bottom Liner)

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 17, 2017

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

And yes, this is often called the "3/2/1" rule, but seriously, I have never seen anyone consistently sleep ~3 hours a night and not end up literally passing out AT THE GAMING TABLE by day three.

A vicious subtweet of your good friend :mad:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainRat posted:

A vicious subtweet of your good friend :mad:
You deserve death for your insolence.

At least I did not mention that you fell asleep holding the die in your hand over the table while awaiting your combat turn

Pray that I do not reveal any more information

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I heard you when you shouted it earlier Dr. Quarex)

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I'm surprised you don't have Yard House on your grub list. Place is pretty good, is fairly spacious, and is basically ignored during the lunch rush.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
uh, dates are off. Its the 17th-20th, are you trying to get everyone to book hotels on the wrong days so you get them all to yourself, Quarex?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gen Con!!!

I was spoiled by the housing lottery last year, so I'm looking forward to being slapped across the face with the typical experience.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Bacon, Legs, and Turntables is no more fyi. I will be trying to find another Gen Con Goon restaurant that we can group up at and dodge some of the crowds. The Tap, while being a disaster last year, seems to have figured out how to deal with gently caress load of people in the times I have visited since.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Last year there was an indian curry place that had a buffet, was cheap, had tons of room and was delicious. Anyone got the name?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Bottom Liner turned me on to some pasta restaurant that I can't remember the name to right now. It's not an amazing sit down restaurant but it's better then the food trucks and just across the street.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Exmond posted:

Last year there was an indian curry place that had a buffet, was cheap, had tons of room and was delicious. Anyone got the name?
Haveli

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SirPhoebos posted:

Gen Con!!!

I was spoiled by the housing lottery last year, so I'm looking forward to being slapped across the face with the typical experience.

Yeah, what is this. I left them a vm.

Edit: I'm fully intending to go provided that boarding does not financially devastate me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Replying to the previous thread

Sigma-X posted:

What is in the lounge? I assume it's a couple of lovely couches and like cases of Costco water bottles.

It's a few nice couches (well, hotel nice), a stand up cooler of water, coke, diet coke, and apple juice, there's a hot water station for coffee/tea/cocoa, tables use running games, painting, VIG events etc.
There's also the VIG will call, a couple of people there to sell event tickets so you don't have to stand in the regular line, there's a bag check if you don't want to drop your stuff off in your room during the day, and if your tickets or your companion's tickets got sent to the regular will call by mistake (I did this one year because of the way I ordered some game tickets online) they'll send a runner to get them for you
Oh, and the VIG lounge wifi.

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is actually way nicer than it should be (enormous beanbags, pretty spacious, free drinks of many stripes INCLUDING HOT CHOCOLATE OMG) but it is also a tragedy now that only the actual VIGs get to go in...or maybe that just makes it all the better to be one?

I think the company sponsoring the beanbags dropped out because they weren't there the last two years. They were super nice though.

EDIT:

Exmond posted:

Ilor posted:

Haveli

This place rocks! I recommend eating here often.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 2, 2017

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
+1 for Haveli, it's fast and tasty and you should all stay the gently caress away so I can get a table with no wait like I did last year.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I will be at Loughmiller's for lunch on Wednesday, as is my wont. I will spend my time sending pictures of the beers I'm drinking to friends who aren't coming or are still traveling.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I heard you when you shouted it earlier Dr. Quarex)
I knew that some true believer out there would hear my plea.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I'm surprised you don't have Yard House on your grub list. Place is pretty good, is fairly spacious, and is basically ignored during the lunch rush.
I have no idea what the Yard House is. Is this something people discovered last year, also known as The Year I Refused To Believe Indianapolis Existed? Addin'

nesbit37 posted:

uh, dates are off. Its the 17th-20th, are you trying to get everyone to book hotels on the wrong days so you get them all to yourself, Quarex?
YES

I probably copied something from my archived 2014 post and moved it around enough that I forgot it was not from this year. It basically took me an entire week to make those posts since BABY and WORKING OUT OF STATE and PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE

8one6 posted:

I think the company sponsoring the beanbags dropped out because they weren't there the last two years. They were super nice though.
NOOOOOOOoooo yeah what was it, Xsomething... XORBEE! This reminds me that not only was I not there in 2016, but I was not a VIG companion in 2015 ;( ;( ;(

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Join the groupme! We're been fairly chatty since last gencon, its a fun time

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I haven't been to the one in Indy but The Yardhouse is a chain with about 100 beers on tap that you can buy in large half-yard glasses because the full yards break too easily so they discontinued their namesake, and the food as described on the menu sounds worth the extra cost but the premium adjectives on the menu rarely seem to reflect in the food you find on the plate.

Having said that, their beer selection out here in California is pretty awesome and I suspect it would be out there as well, although there are so many cool breweries out in Indy that I feel like every bar has, if not the large variety, at least a good representation of beer in Indy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'll echo the recommendation of Yard House. Food is pretty good and there's tons of beer on tap, which is fantastic. I've stopped in during the day and it's usually pretty empty, I guess because it's a little farther away from the Convention Center or something.

I'm looking forward to this year's Gen Con, but am a little nervous about scheduling more stuff to do. Usually it's just my friend and I, but this year three more friends are joining us (on account of it doubling as a part of my bachelor party). It should be a ton of fun, as always, but it's going to be hard topping last year when I randomly made close to $400 off of True Dungeon coins.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
We gots to get another goon Council of Blackthorne game going, I want to get backstabbed again.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

I will be at Loughmiller's for lunch on Wednesday, as is my wont. I will spend my time sending pictures of the beers I'm drinking to friends who aren't coming or are still traveling.

And I will be right there with you!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Top notch OPs.

I'm not going to kill you Quarex, PhD since you did mention StElmos in the same breath but for reals, Ruth's Chris is FINE and if you live in bumfuck nowhere and don't have good steak houses near you, it's a treat for sure. If you do have good steak houses near you and you want a unique experience, StElmos with their weird navy bean soup and excellent beef is something special.

Are there James Beard nominee good poo poo restaurants in Indy other than Milktooth? I like food.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The St Elmo's cocktail sauce that they serve next door at Harry and Izzy's where it is way more casual is the fuckin' bomb and this year goddammit I'm gonna just buy a bottle to take home for a special occassion

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

Agrias120 posted:

I'll echo the recommendation of Yard House. Food is pretty good and there's tons of beer on tap, which is fantastic. I've stopped in during the day and it's usually pretty empty, I guess because it's a little farther away from the Convention Center or something.

I'm looking forward to this year's Gen Con, but am a little nervous about scheduling more stuff to do. Usually it's just my friend and I, but this year three more friends are joining us (on account of it doubling as a part of my bachelor party). It should be a ton of fun, as always, but it's going to be hard topping last year when I randomly made close to $400 off of True Dungeon coins.

Basically Yard House is pretty close to the convention center, isn't advertised very well so a lot of people don't go, they have good beer, and their prices aren't terrible for the amount / quality. Seriously I must've walked by that place for years until one of our friends took us there for lunch. Windows are dark, I don't remember if they really had much of a sign, and they're right next to a tunnel if I remember correctly.

Also, you just gotta believe on TD. Or get really good at finagling magnets. Since they switched to the magnetized plunger method I've seen a number of people get 2-4 tokens instead of 1 with a single pull. That being said, they're trying to reduce the amount of pulls everyone gets, as the last few years people have been really abusing the token++ items (myself included).

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

ZachAttack posted:

We gots to get another goon Council of Blackthorne game going, I want to get backstabbed again.

Yeah, that was a good time.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Basically Yard House is pretty close to the convention center, isn't advertised very well so a lot of people don't go, they have good beer, and their prices aren't terrible for the amount / quality. Seriously I must've walked by that place for years until one of our friends took us there for lunch. Windows are dark, I don't remember if they really had much of a sign, and they're right next to a tunnel if I remember correctly.

Also, you just gotta believe on TD. Or get really good at finagling magnets. Since they switched to the magnetized plunger method I've seen a number of people get 2-4 tokens instead of 1 with a single pull. That being said, they're trying to reduce the amount of pulls everyone gets, as the last few years people have been really abusing the token++ items (myself included).

These are the types of places I want to check out and chat with the staff at. Gen Con has grown enough (and thanks to various apps) that the first zone of places are starting to get cramped more often. Thankfully if you just walk a couple of blocks most of the crowd will stay away.

Also I will post it here now and mention it a few more times as we get closer. But several of you guys got to try 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust for the first time last year. Would there be interest in me doing a run up to their brewery to grab cases for cost + some money for gas (6 hours of driving total). Atm it's $40 for a case of what I believe is 24 bottles.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Backno posted:

These are the types of places I want to check out and chat with the staff at. Gen Con has grown enough (and thanks to various apps) that the first zone of places are starting to get cramped more often. Thankfully if you just walk a couple of blocks most of the crowd will stay away.

Also I will post it here now and mention it a few more times as we get closer. But several of you guys got to try 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust for the first time last year. Would there be interest in me doing a run up to their brewery to grab cases for cost + some money for gas (6 hours of driving total). Atm it's $40 for a case of what I believe is 24 bottles.

I've never had it, but I hear good things, so I'd be in. Now, as long as you don't leave it in your car parked 8,000 miles away that'd be great. :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

The St Elmo's cocktail sauce that they serve next door at Harry and Izzy's where it is way more casual is the fuckin' bomb and this year goddammit I'm gonna just buy a bottle to take home for a special occassion

INTERNET!

http://store.stelmos.com/Cocktail-Sauce-p/stelmo-cocktailsauce.htm

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Join the groupme! We're been fairly chatty since last gencon, its a fun time

The groupme is great. Do you want to play boardgames at 2:30pm for an hour, Group me

Are you too tired to literally notice a group of goons sitting right beside you in the restaurant, groupme

Do you want to know the best places to eat, groupme

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Speaking of GroupMe and plans, since LotR Trivia is NO MORE at the Colts Grille on Wednesday, where will enterprising goons decide to meet on Wednesday night?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Also, we should have an album of advertisements for failed/dying games that we see at GenCon. I particularly miss the Navia Dratp picture, because it's full of bluster and says absolutely nothing about the game other than... It happened.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Speaking of GroupMe and plans, since LotR Trivia is NO MORE at the Colts Grille on Wednesday, where will enterprising goons decide to meet on Wednesday night?

Don't make me bear the bad news again about if it had its day moved.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LuiCypher posted:

That had to be the biggest disappointment last year. We had a freakin' sign and everything!

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Also, we should have an album of advertisements for failed/dying games that we see at GenCon. I particularly miss the Navia Dratp picture, because it's full of bluster and says absolutely nothing about the game other than... It happened.

Man, I played that game one time. It was emphatically absolutely positively eh.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Top notch OPs.

I'm not going to kill you Quarex, PhD since you did mention StElmos in the same breath but for reals, Ruth's Chris is FINE and if you live in bumfuck nowhere and don't have good steak houses near you, it's a treat for sure. If you do have good steak houses near you and you want a unique experience, StElmos with their weird navy bean soup and excellent beef is something special.
Thanks for the praise and for not killing me. It is true that my own minimal steakhouse experience as a young lad undoubtedly contributes to thinking Ruth's Chris is so good. Honestly the sides at RuCuStuHu are as much a draw for me as the steaks themselves, so perhaps a Steak Connoisseur would always know St. Elmo was superior.

Lawen posted:

Are there James Beard nominee good poo poo restaurants in Indy other than Milktooth? I like food.
Apparently "Cerulean, Milktooth, Public Greens, Recess, and Bluebeard" were all up for awards. I have never heard of the other four. Though to be fair I have already forgotten everything I wrote in the original post so they could all be recommended.

Exmond posted:

The groupme is great. Do you want to play boardgames at 2:30pm for an hour, Group me

Are you too tired to literally notice a group of goons sitting right beside you in the restaurant, groupme

Do you want to know the best places to eat, groupme
All true. Plus GroupMe is the reason Mudcrab Merchant and I are BFF; "hey I am free and bored on the second floor of the Hyatt, anyone free?" "hey, are you the person working at the desk at the end of this hall looking free and bored?" *magic*

LuiCypher posted:

A fine question. I would like to get together an annual tradition of playing the game posted up there, and if you look carefully at the game description I think you will figure out why:

(So we could do that Wednesday night somewhere, is what I am saying. Though I suspect having one deck is a bit limiting, might need other activities)

LuiCypher posted:

I will never stop thinking of that as literally the worst name for a product in Gen-Con history. And yeah, probably the worst game slogan too. Kudos all around!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can I go into Tilted Kilt again and order 18 shots of fireball?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deviant posted:

Can I go into Tilted Kilt again and order 18 shots of fireball?

Only if you wait for me to get there this time

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

saint gerald posted:

Only if you wait for me to get there this time

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

:unsmith:

Y'all should get some Zombie Dust from Backno this year. I plan to drink nothing else for the duration, possibly from some sort of head-mounted dispensation device.

• Locked thread