Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, it's official. The 50 years of Gen Con Programs project is alive and announced! I hope some of you have fun browsing through what we get out for the project.

----------------------------------------------------
The Temple University Digital Scholarship Center announces the creation of an online database of events for all 50 years of the Gen Con gaming convention. The database will be available for use by the public with an accompanying exhibit site for hosting articles related to the information that is gleaned from the gaming history of the database. The database and exhibit site are expected to go live in July of 2017.

Gen Con, which first took place in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin 1967, has close ties to gaming culture and popular culture. Founded by Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, Gen Con began as a wargaming convention. Following the release of Dungeons and Dragons in 1974, Gen Con expanded to include table top role-playing games; a genre that has heavily influenced the video game industry and popular media. The convention continued to grow expanding to other forms of gaming and an ever larger crowd. The first Gen Con consisted of only a handful of games and people, but has now grown to an annual attendance of more than 60,000 and over 17,000 events.

For this project, DSC staff are digitizing programs from Gen Con’s past. With the programs in digital form, we are able to convert the event information into CSV files for research use and ultimately a publicly searchable database. The event information from most of the programs contains a wealth of information including game descriptions, who ran the games, and game genre. With the events broken down by their different information fields and normalized across the years researchers will be able to apply a variety of digital scholarship techniques, including textual and network analysis, to learn more about how gaming has grown and changed over the years as reflected through Gen Con. Articles and exhibits based on the research performed on the database and on the content of the programs will be made available through the accompanying exhibit site.

For questions regarding this project please email digitalscholarship@temple.edu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As someone who can envision a doctoral dissertation drawing heavily from that database, I am totally stoked.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Deviant posted:

Can I go into Tilted Kilt again and order 18 shots of fireball?

Did you start the shot rounds? I stopped feeling at all bad about walking in unannounced and saying something like "Table for 16, make that 18" after like the 3rd round of shots.

We also need our trivia sign in the thread. Are we sure trivia is dead? I thought they moved it to Thursday or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fordan posted:

Did you start the shot rounds? I stopped feeling at all bad about walking in unannounced and saying something like "Table for 16, make that 18" after like the 3rd round of shots.

Yeah, it was 12 when we first showed up, and it spiraled out of control from there.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think one round of shots wednesday was the single largest purchase i made at gencon. Thankfully it was offset by the incredibly generous friends that Deviant and I made during True Dungeon and bought dinner/drinks for both of us and we didnt even get murdered for my super rare loot chip

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

I think one round of shots wednesday was the single largest purchase i made at gencon. Thankfully it was offset by the incredibly generous friends that Deviant and I made during True Dungeon and bought dinner/drinks for both of us and we didnt even get murdered for my super rare loot chip

Shot Wednesday was a pretty cool introduction to gencon. We need a new placcard for the group ( Old one was make america D20 again).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anyone looking to form housing pools, or is this something that should be done through groupme?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Oh poo poo, Gen Con thread!

Anyway, I don't really have anything to add yet since Gen Con is (or at least feels like) a million years away, but there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Deviant posted:

Yeah, it was 12 when we first showed up, and it spiraled out of control from there.

We just got the shitshow meal out of the way early, is all. There's always one.

Exmond posted:

Shot Wednesday was a pretty cool introduction to gencon. We need a new placcard for the group ( Old one was make america D20 again).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey there. Any recommendations on places to stay during the con?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BigRed0427 posted:

If you want to stay downtown you need to preorder a badge and get ready for the Housing lottery this weekend and/or make friends with people who are already going to share rooms and increase your chances. I don't think suburban hotels are reserved, but then you have to get transport into the city somehow.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

If you have a car or friends with a car, you can book further away from the convention centre. Downtown parking isn't that bad, and the hotels are cheaper further from the con. Indy has lots of chain hotels so you can search around. There are hotels downtown within walking distance if you don't have access to a vehicle.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I spent a whole con 2015 driving in and parking at the stadium. Flat rate for the whole day, tons of space. Once you go skyway, however, you can never go back.

I miss you, KarKrew.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

CellBlock posted:

Oh poo poo, Gen Con thread!

Anyway, I don't really have anything to add yet since Gen Con is (or at least feels like) a million years away, but there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place.

Oh hell yes. Didn't realize they had any locations outside Pittsburgh but apparently they're all over IN/MI/WV now. This is exciting news.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

fordan posted:

We also need our trivia sign in the thread. Are we sure trivia is dead? I thought they moved it to Thursday or something.
Trivia is functionally dead if they moved it to Thursday. I know that is not true either in actuality or in spirit, but I am sure I am not the only person who is almost always busy at Gen-Con during normal hours after Wednesday night, thus making it a sad non-event. Plus clearly we need some gathering to replace it on Wednesday night...so, Harry & Izzy's to just gorge ourselves it is, perfect.

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyone looking to form housing pools, or is this something that should be done through groupme?
I think either place is fine, clearly not everyone will use the GroupMe plus the conversation moves quickly enough there sometimes that an effort to find housing might get swallowed by infinity.

CellBlock posted:

Anyway, I don't really have anything to add yet since Gen Con is (or at least feels like) a million years away,
GEN-CON IS ALWAYS CLOSE ENOUGH TO DISCUSS

WE CAN TALK ABOUT 2018 ALREADY IF YOU LIKE

Also thanks Lawen for calling my attention to CellBlock's Primanti Bros. comment (also, grand avatar); I see they are in the Circle Centre Mall. So Gen-Con Accessible! Wooo! Added that into the food post!

Is anyone ever going to post their photos from last year :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If I remember I'll dump all the embarrassing/hilarious pics from GroupMe relevant to last year when I get home.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is anyone ever going to post their photos from last year :(

I would if I took any. I ODed on Gen Con last year and learned my limits. I finally tried to do too much by squeezing in both a Blood Bowl tourny and a Dropzone Commander tourny plus the other events. That and the vendor hall finally grew to a size large enough to cause an aneurysm. I don't think I gave myself time to make it fully around to every booth at least once like I usually do.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Trivia is functionally dead if they moved it to Thursday. I know that is not true either in actuality or in spirit, but I am sure I am not the only person who is almost always busy at Gen-Con during normal hours after Wednesday night, thus making it a sad non-event. Plus clearly we need some gathering to replace it on Wednesday night...so, Harry & Izzy's to just gorge ourselves it is, perfect.

Let's be honest here. We all know that we're going to end up at High Velocity at some point Wednesday.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Double Agent posted:

We all know that we're going to end up at High Velocity at some point everyday.

That's better.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Gencon!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

:siren: HOUSING LOTTERY THIS WEEKEND :siren:

Pre-order your badge if you haven't yet to get in! They are randomizing the queue for the housing portal on Saturday morning so you have 24 hours notice of when you need to be online to book a room!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I would if I took any. I ODed on Gen Con last year and learned my limits. I finally tried to do too much by squeezing in both a Blood Bowl tourny and a Dropzone Commander tourny plus the other events. That and the vendor hall finally grew to a size large enough to cause an aneurysm. I don't think I gave myself time to make it fully around to every booth at least once like I usually do.
Oh dang. Sorry to hear of your great loss (of...control? POWER?). Though I am already hyperventilating imagining what the vendor hall must be like now that it is even larger. Did they absorb the former trading card area?!?! Ooooh I am so excited

I remember back when I foolishly would sign up for events and actually eat lunch at Gen-Con, I was lucky to get through the entire hall twice. Nowadaysish I try to make sure I get through the whole vendor hall once a day JUST IN CASE, because you never know what booths might pack up and leave any day.

Hmm? That does not happen anymore? Oh. Well, I am still hurting from the one year we saw awesome stuff Thursday at a booth and those people were gone by Saturday. WHAT IF IT STARTS HAPPENING AGAIN

drat RIGHT

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Carteret posted:

That's better.

Well, duh, that was a given.

Same.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Though I am already hyperventilating imagining what the vendor hall must be like now that it is even larger. Did they absorb the former trading card area?!?! Ooooh I am so excited

It totally did eat the ccg area and is now unimaginably large. The CCGs are dead, long live the CCgs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hoped that was the way things were progressing ever since they opened up the entry from the card area. I suppose once they had a whole new stadium to play with they figured "why not?"

Yet I somehow suspect the Auction is still crammed into a space it could easily double

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

It totally did eat the ccg area and is now unimaginably large. The CCGs are dead, long live the CCgs.

Yeah, last year, the CCGs were all in the corner of the main gaming hall. In general, it was fine (and definitely better for the exhibitor hall), but it did make it utterly impossible for Pastimes to effectively announce things in their corner since they couldn't just tap into the PA system or whatever.

Basically, Pastimes is butt, is what I'm getting at.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Visibility is key in the current location, other places are kinda outta the way and you might get less "hey wtf is this?" foot traffic.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yet I somehow suspect the Auction is still crammed into a space it could easily double

I'm torn on the auction space. On one hand, it deserves something much larger. But the selfish side of me wants to keep it crammed to keep more people out for the better deals for those willing to tough it out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nesbit37 posted:

I'm torn on the auction space. On one hand, it deserves something much larger. But the selfish side of me wants to keep it crammed to keep more people out for the better deals for those willing to tough it out.

TOVA TOVA TOVA!!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Quarex, are you going to make TOVA great again? Your presence was sorely missed last year.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This will be my first year at Gencon. Planning to show up with a group of friends and friends of friends. Looking forward to meeting some goons too!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I got my housing email. I'll be allowed to access...five hours after selection begins :suicide:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I got my housing email. I'll be allowed to access...five hours after selection begins :suicide:

Lucky

E: unironic post

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I got 2:42 and I don't know if that is good or not.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

10:24 PM, but I already have a downtown hotel booked if I can't get closer.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maigius posted:

10:24 PM, but I already have a downtown hotel booked if I can't get closer.

Welp, at least I know I'm not the latest at 10:19 PM. :suicide:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Wow, and I thought my time of 3:41 was bad.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I got 12:15pm!

Naturally I'm a local who's going to commute in.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Out of my group I got the earliest at 4:08. Hopefully they ration the rooms but I feel like that's not going to be the case considering past Gencons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
7:59 but not sweating it, rooms open up, Vlaada wills it.

• Locked thread