Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got 7:03pm but my GC roommate buddy got 1:32p so we should hopefully be good for our JW room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i'm cautiously optimistic. They are clearly spreading people out more, and the last time I did the hotel lottery (2 years ago) down town rooms didn't peter out until 2:30, so hopefully this stretches them out at least 2 more hours. Anyone who did the lottery last year know how long they lasted then?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Anyone know offhand what hotels let you have more than 4 occupants? Our group has 5 this year and don't want to get 2 rooms (and don't want to sneak someone in)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't think its the hotel so much as the room. Pretty sure you need a suite or something else larger for more than 4.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

nesbit37 posted:

I don't think its the hotel so much as the room. Pretty sure you need a suite or something else larger for more than 4.

It'd have to be a 2 double/queen room with either a pullout sofa or the ability to request an additional bed/cot. Springhill Suites often have a pullout sofa (just checked and the Indy downtown one does as well)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Haystack posted:

I got 12:15pm!

Naturally I'm a local who's going to commute in.

Thinking about it, would it be possible for me to reserve a room and then transfer it to some deserving goon? At bare minimum, I could just reserve the room and cancel it at some prearranged time.

Mian
Oct 29, 2006

MIAN was very uptight and the sauna was so relaxing.

Haystack posted:

Thinking about it, would it be possible for me to reserve a room and then transfer it to some deserving goon? At bare minimum, I could just reserve the room and cancel it at some prearranged time.

Edit: Sent you a PM.

It is possible!

Mian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 11, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Haystack posted:

I got 12:15pm!

Naturally I'm a local who's going to commute in.

Hey,

I also got an early time, but not as early as yours (12:42pm). I don't need the reservation (as I already have one), but could someone explain to me how I'd make it for someone else without running the risk of being on the hook for hundreds of dollars that I don't need to spend to hold the room and (hopefully) get reimbursed?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
One of my group got 1:05pm so I'm feeling pretty good about getting a skywalk connected hotel. Confirm/deny that hope?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Since some people were getting their registration times after 10pm I think you are golden.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pez posted:

Anyone know offhand what hotels let you have more than 4 occupants? Our group has 5 this year and don't want to get 2 rooms (and don't want to sneak someone in)

I can register up to 4 people for a room at the Embassy Suites, but I've never had less than 5. In years past I've had 6-7 people in a room and they haven't given me a hard time about it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
While you should only technically have 4 people in a 2 bed room, the hotels know that people pack in and generally don't care. As long as you don't do stupid poo poo and cause them problems they will just let it go.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

Hey,

I also got an early time, but not as early as yours (12:42pm). I don't need the reservation (as I already have one), but could someone explain to me how I'd make it for someone else without running the risk of being on the hook for hundreds of dollars that I don't need to spend to hold the room and (hopefully) get reimbursed?

The most you'd be on the hook for is 50 bucks. See the housing overview for details.

From the looks of it, the process is:
  1. Go to the housing page
  2. Click the "Make Reservation" link
  3. Click "Go To Housing Portal."
  4. Find and sign up for a hotel. This apparently requires a valid credit card with an expiration date later than the convention, but nothing is charged until August 1
  5. You can later change the reservation details to another guest, who will be on the hook for everything

The credit card thing makes it a bit tricky. I'm not 100% sure what the safest way to go about transferring the room would be. Probably calling them (at 800-529-EXPO).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They've had a phone transfer system in the past, though I don't know if you would be able to do it day of. I know its possible, but I wouldn't do it unless you already had someone picked out to share with.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks for the advice on more than 4 in a room, but the guys I usually go with are worried about getting kicked out and want to do it the legit way. One of my friends got 2:30 as his time so hopefully they'll get a room we can use, otherwise I'll be back here begging goons for some floor space. I can't stay outside of downtown again this year it's too horrible :/

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
For what it's worth, we usually have 5-6 people in our room at the JW. Couple of air mattresses and all that.
Here's to hoping 2:30ish tomorrow will be enough to get a good room.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Pez posted:

Thanks for the advice on more than 4 in a room, but the guys I usually go with are worried about getting kicked out and want to do it the legit way. One of my friends got 2:30 as his time so hopefully they'll get a room we can use, otherwise I'll be back here begging goons for some floor space. I can't stay outside of downtown again this year it's too horrible :/

If my group back in 2000 could put 12 people in a room and not get kicked out, you can do 5. :)

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Double Agent posted:

If my group back in 2000 could put 12 people in a room and not get kicked out, you can do 5. :)

Yeah I'm friends with worry warts. You might wind up with 13 this year :D

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
3:46pm was the earliest my group got, even with an extra time slot from a friend who has earned a volunteer room. I'm feeling more optimistic about having a shot at downtown now if people are getting slots after 10pm, lol. Good luck everybody.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

nesbit37 posted:

They've had a phone transfer system in the past, though I don't know if you would be able to do it day of. I know its possible, but I wouldn't do it unless you already had someone picked out to share with.

Yeah I did this last year. It was pretty easy. If person A wants to transfer their room to person B, first person A calls the listed housing number, explains what they want, and gives the name of person B.

Then person B calls, mentions the name of person A, gives the GenCon housing service a credit card, gets a confirmation, and is good to go. Person A is totally off the hook for that room. Last year, there was no fee for transferring rooms and you could do it until around June.

Granted, that was last year, but I don't know why they would change it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fellis and I came to an arrangement where he'd use my account to get my sweet portal access time and he'd take care of all the deets on his end. Never needed to put my card up or check in to make sure I was making the 'right' reservation.

I'm really glad GenCon does not store/handle a lot of sensitive information. There's some, but you can mitigate it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

And it looks like the Gen Con Housing Clusterfuck of the Year 2017 is... availability of double rooms!

Yes, I've got access to the portal, and rooms are reasonably plentiful, but it's Kings only everywhere. Booked one anyway with the hope to exchange/upgrade it later, but Gen Con housing's creativity in being lovely strikes again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Here's hoping the kings hold out at least another 90 minutes!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Living the dream again, got the sweet, sweet Downtown Marriott skywalk. One of our dudes got a 12:14 slot, and some of the other people in our gaming group got 12:45 and said the skywalk double/doubles were already booked.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just made my reservation, closest was the airport. Me and two others pooled our times, best time was 2:39

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
Husband's access time is 2:32. Hoping we can snag a room at the crowne plaza union station again. We've done the last 2 years there and it's served us well. (and thankfully we only need a king room though that's weird that seems to be the only thing available.)

[EDIT] AHAHAHAHA 2:33 AND ALL THE DOWNTOWN HOTELS ARE GONE HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

Neveth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 12, 2017

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Welp I got screwed my group got a room for 4 but afraid to do 5 so I'm SOL :(

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

1:30 slot got us a JW room. Single King only option, weird that 2x queen is such a rarity but no big deal.

Pez posted:

Welp I got screwed my group got a room for 4 but afraid to do 5 so I'm SOL :(

Afraid to do 5 is overly cautious, the hotel really doesn't give a poo poo.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah the only thing with 5 is someone doesn't get their name on the reservation so they can't check into the room. Hotels don't care at all

E:pretty much just register the 4 people that will be there first and no problem

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

You guys know this, I know this, but my friend that made the reservation is scared of everything so yeah I'm out of a place to stay so far

Texibus
May 18, 2008
You'll be fine, plenty of time before the Con to figure something out.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

One of my group got 1:05pm so I'm feeling pretty good about getting a skywalk connected hotel. Confirm/deny that hope?

Confirm.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Got our spots, I even ended up swinging a spot at the Westin with my 2:32pm.
Edit: Two of our folks even got rooms for 2018.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

One of the people in my group had 3:30 and everything downtown was gone. So, as of right now, we're 7 miles out. :suicide:

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Yeah, 3:46 slot and no downtown hotels left and had to look at 5 - 6 outer hotels before finding a double / double room.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My group is stuck with a reservation out by the airport right now. This just seems more arbitrary and lovely than the previous systems.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

There are downtown hotels left (or at least, there's one), you just have to search for any room and not just rooms that sleep 4.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There aren't and haven't been for 1-4 since I got let in, 4:08.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I was at 3:41 and ended up 12 miles out somewhere. Will have to keep checking back for something downtown hopefully. Was really optomistic the rooms were going to last longer with the new spreadout. Was good they told us all our times a day ahead of time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Was really optomistic the rooms were going to last longer with the new spreadout.

That's not really the impression that I got as their reasoning for this. It seemed more like a way to reduce server load so the whole page didn't die because thousands of people were checking to see where in the queue they were at the same time.

• Locked thread