Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Reject the false groupme, uphold the true groupme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Reject the false groupme, uphold the true groupme

The DragonCon one?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

How dare you

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Toshimo posted:

The DragonCon one?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I CAST THEE OUT

Though it existed first then fair enough.

But I think the more GroupMes the merrier. I mean I suppose given that most people just uninstall GroupMe when it is not the month leading up to the convention, maybe we really could just have a single Goon Convention GroupMe but NOBODY WOULD EVER AGREE ON IT wait what if we make a new GroupMe for a convention we can all agree is the best, like Central Illinois' own FlatCon

nesbit37 posted:

Having lived in Milwaukee while Gen Con was there I can say that it doesn't feel like a vacation. Gen Con was definitely fun and I enjoyed it a lot, but it feels more special and vacation like now that I have to fly to get to it. Curious to see how it goes with Pax Unplugged this year since I live in Philly and will be either biking or taking the trolley there each day.
I expect to see you eerily passing by on the trolley anywhere I go in Philadelphia.

I have no idea if I will get in early on Wednesday or late, if I actually get in on time will you be around or are you far enough away that it would be dumb to hang out? IT IS A DATE

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oh joy a Quarex date! Hanging out on Wednesday (or Thursday for that matter since things don't really get going till Friday apparently?) is cool. I live in West Philly just like good old Fresh Prince, but that's only 15 minutes from Center City by bike, and I work about 10 minutes north of Center City by bike. The preferred, and more suicidal, method of travel in a city where no one obeys any traffic laws. Only reason I'll probably be taking the trolley for PAX Unplugged is because I don't want to worry about biking with a bunch of board games and RPG books should I lose self control and buy all of the things.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

We have never gotten a hotel for Gen Con. Last year, we said we were gonna for this year because we were anticipating the fiancee being pregnant, but that didn't happen. What I do is just take off work for Thurs/Fri, and then we spend basically the whole day downtown. You're right that it doesn't feel exactly like a vacation when you go back home at the end of the day, but given that Circle Center is usually pretty easy to park in* or that the zoo is seven bucks, it's kinda hard to justify dropping that much cash on a hotel. Apartment to parking lot is like 20 minutes for us.

I'd love to get one sometime and just stay within walking distance for the weekend, but it's kind of a hassle with the lottery and all now.

* Circle Center was actually full on Thursday and Friday, which boggled my mind.

One year, I'll actually do some stuff with other goons. But I spent basically my entire time at the convention in the exhibit hall and still only got to see maaaaaaybe 50% of what I wanted. We did go to the burlesque show Saturday night, though, which was a fun time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Oh joy a Quarex date! Hanging out on Wednesday (or Thursday for that matter since things don't really get going till Friday apparently?) is cool. I live in West Philly just like good old Fresh Prince, but that's only 15 minutes from Center City by bike, and I work about 10 minutes north of Center City by bike. The preferred, and more suicidal, method of travel in a city where no one obeys any traffic laws. Only reason I'll probably be taking the trolley for PAX Unplugged is because I don't want to worry about biking with a bunch of board games and RPG books should I lose self control and buy all of the things.
Oh oops right, this is not Gen-Con, I meant Thursday. Hope you make it without dying on your bike! But yeah I totally think a trolley is the wrong decision too.

Maybe we can hit up the Colts Grille

Skypie posted:

One year, I'll actually do some stuff with other goons. But I spent basically my entire time at the convention in the exhibit hall and still only got to see maaaaaaybe 50% of what I wanted. We did go to the burlesque show Saturday night, though, which was a fun time.
Hey as long as you have contemplated the idea of getting a downtown hotel I feel you are giving it a fair shake. But yeah if I lived there even I with my MUST-FEEL-CLOISTERED-FROM-REAL-LIFE ideals would have a hard time justifying like $250/night just to live a slightly better version of an absurd fantasy.

I hear you though, some people do not understand how the Exhibit Hall can take up hours of every day (or, you know, an entire day if you are only there for one day) but to me it is obvious: YOU CAN ONLY BE IN THE WORLD'S NERDIEST MALL ONCE A YEAR

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

FWIW my GenCon buddy and I, who've been the last 5 years in a row, agree that if we don't get the JW we'll just eat the badge fees and skip that year. That's how much we like staying there.

Also FWIW, my house is a $5 Uber from DragonCon and I don't even bother going anymore, but i spend a shitload to fly and hotel for GenCon. Partly because going out of state makes it feel more significant and partly because D*C is more about cosplay and fan culture and psychedelic drugs than gaming (though LSD is fun and I heard the boardgame area was better this year, so maybe I'll get off my rear end and hit up D*C next year).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh oops right, this is not Gen-Con, I meant Thursday. Hope you make it without dying on your bike! But yeah I totally think a trolley is the wrong decision too.

Maybe we can hit up the Colts Grille

There is actually a bar under the convention center right across from Reading Terminal Market that is pretty much an equivalent for Colts Grille. Its called the Field House and is one of the larger bars in Center City. I've never been to it myself since there are many other (significantly smaller) craft beer bars in the area I prefer to a giant sports bar, but if there is going to be a group of goons invading a place it would probably be a good one for it just because of the size and location.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I hear you though, some people do not understand how the Exhibit Hall can take up hours of every day (or, you know, an entire day if you are only there for one day) but to me it is obvious: YOU CAN ONLY BE IN THE WORLD'S NERDIEST MALL ONCE A YEAR

Next year I'm gonna have to suck it up. I work nights so I wasn't getting up and making it downtown til 1 or 2, which was only 4 hours in the hall really. I'll have to just mainline some coffee and get up around 10am instead of trying to keep my normal sleep schedule. That way I can be sleep deprived like everyone else! :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Oh good, the Embassy Suites overcharged me $500 and no one is there to talk about it until Monday.

I know for a fact this is because of how I set up the second room for my friends.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ken and Robin talk about Gencon

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yeesh this is kinda nuts; every prior year we've had a buddy who would book like, Monday-Sunday and do work stuff (Indy was in his like, sales region) Monday-Wed and then just ask that they put him in the room block for Thur-Sun but maybe they've gotten wise to this sort of thing because now the ONLY available rates for Wed-Sun are non-refundable $600+/night rates

The last way to game the system appears to have died :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Waffles Inc. posted:

The last way to game the system appears to have died :(
The importance of joining every hotel's rewards system cannot be understated, as I can speak from experience and say that the Hilton brand still sells affordable rooms to its members a year out, as I have my standard emergency backup room at the connected Hilton for "only" $300/night, refundable (which is good as I have ended up in my V.I.G. friend's room most every year anyway).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is a super early announcement for Gen Con 2018 but I just found out I will have a booth in the exhibitor hall this coming year! I am very excited, and also terrified. I figure it's never too early to get these things on people's radars hence this post. The booth is for a resource management/worker placement game about bees that I am going to publish via crowdfunding next fall. I am also going to be pushing the https://www.best50yearsingaming.com project. I'll be posting about the board game on SA periodically, but if you feel so inclined please do check it out early and share with friends.

Join the Bee Lives newsletter: http://eepurl.com/db5CYL

View our webpage: http://hitemwithashoe.com/

Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/beelivesgame/

Follow our Twitter: https://twitter.com/beelivesgame

Follow our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/beelivesgame/

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Is there a 2018 thread yet?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Since there doesn't appear to be a 2018 thread yet, I'll ask here:

Any pro-tips for bringing an infant to GenCon?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

How old? Breastfed or bottle?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dorstein posted:

Any pro-tips for bringing an infant to GenCon?
Two spring immediately to mind - first, get a hotel that's attached to the Convention Center. You're not going to want to carry all the necessary crap with you, and you're going to want a place to stage your poo poo/crash when it's nap time. Having to walk long distances or (gods forbid) uber to your hotel is going to make you hate life. Second, the Baby-Bjorn (or other, similar chest-carrier) is a life-saver. Strollers are a colossal pain in the rear end (both for you and everyone around you), especially in the dealer hall. You might be tempted, but don't do it. Just...don't. On the plus side, walking around with an adorable infant strapped to your chest means that booth babes ogle you, which is kind of a refreshing switch.

In terms of events, sign up for stuff that's short-duration or easy to drop in/out. So no 12-hour WarmaHordes tourneys, or whatever. The demo and beta-test areas are always a good bet, as is the open-play boardgame library. Be aware that awake babies are super disruptive to gaming because they require constant attention (and think meeples are delicious), so alternate time slots with your partner. Finally, don't try to do too much, you'll just get frustrated.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Looks like I'll be able to go again this year now that paid vacation is a thing I get but it doesn't look like any of my normal crew are interested which is going to make the hotel a bitch ):

Do we know how the housing lottery is going to work this year? Because if I don't have to buy my ticket immediately when sales open I might wait until I can harass my friends to find out if they're in

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
The baby will be.. 8 months at GenCon time. Combo breast and bottle will hopefully make it easy for us to hand baby back and forth so one of us can maybe win the Settlers tournament for once.

I never seem to manage a good hotel room from the housing block, but end up getting an okay downtown one after. I have heard the attached Marriott has had a lot of HVAC problems, so I suppose we'll shoot for the Hyatt or the Crowne with the creepy train ghosts. Are there other attached hotels I'm forgetting?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The JW Mariott, which is different from the Mariott. Also, the Westin. The Westin would be ideal, because it's centrally located (its skyway access dumps you into the ICC right next to Will Call).

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Badges badges badges badges badges

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Quarex said the new thread will be up later this week when has time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Badge Get

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Yikes, did the price go up again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man last time I went it was only $70 the gently caress happened the last two years?

drat you inflation due to increased attendence

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I mean they also drastically increased the amount of con space with the stadium. It'll be interesting to see if the increased attendance from last year's anniversary falls off or maintains. Last year was the first year they sold out right?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

I mean they also drastically increased the amount of con space with the stadium. It'll be interesting to see if the increased attendance from last year's anniversary falls off or maintains. Last year was the first year they sold out right?

Yeah, it was the first sell out. They've been coy with the actual numbers, though, so there's speculation that they capped attendance at 2016 levels. Maybe due to fire marshall concerns, maybe for some other reason.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Badges: acquired!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Ilor posted:

The JW Mariott, which is different from the Mariott. Also, the Westin. The Westin would be ideal, because it's centrally located (its skyway access dumps you into the ICC right next to Will Call).

Forgot about the Westin. Thanks!

Is the JW attached? I remember having to go outside, same as the Omni. Is there some kinda tunnel or something?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Dorstein posted:

Is the JW attached? I remember having to go outside, same as the Omni. Is there some kinda tunnel or something?

It is; you do a skybridge to a parking garage and then over to the JW. It is from a far end of the ICC though.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Dorstein posted:

JW is attached. This has the full list of skywalk attached hotels

edit: And this is a map of them

8one6
May 20, 2012

Badges: Acquired!
Rooms: Acquired!
Days until Gen Con: 198

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm gonna risk the room lottery I think. Worst case I'll stay at an unconnected hotel a shuttle/Uber trip away.

Fingers crossed I can get a connected hotel though

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

8one6 posted:

Badges: Acquired!
Rooms: Acquired!
Days until Gen Con: 198

So what's the disadvantage of skipping the lottery system to get a hotel room?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

SirPhoebos posted:

So what's the disadvantage of skipping the lottery system to get a hotel room?

Cost. Way more expensive than in the block for a downtown room.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Cost. Way more expensive than in the block for a downtown room.

This, sort of. I'm a VIG so I'm paying $600 for my ticket basically to guarantee the hotel room I want, and an additional $200 badge to make sure I can get both rooms my group needs.
That's not including the cost of the rooms themselves.
Still 100% worth the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8one6 posted:

This, sort of. I'm a VIG so I'm paying $600 for my ticket basically to guarantee the hotel room I want, and an additional $200 badge to make sure I can get both rooms my group needs.
That's not including the cost of the rooms themselves.
Still 100% worth the cost.

Legitimately jealous of you guys that 1) can afford VIG and 2) can actually get the ticket

• Locked thread