Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Wow didn’t realize badges went up to a $110. That might put mine and my wife’s plans of going in jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

110 for three full awesome days that I look forward to all year is pretty good in my eyes.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Looks like this will be my first year of going to GenCon. Got my badge and my hotel plans with friends.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Got badge, looking to see if anybody's looking to take a room crasher (paying my share as usual, of course). Worried to risk the room lottery and get stuck with something on my own, not quite sure how that works. :raise:

Have various people who can vouch for me not being weird(er than usual for GenCon) if necessary.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

djfooboo posted:

110 for three full awesome days that I look forward to all year is pretty good in my eyes.

It’s our vacation away from everything for 3days but I just found out I have to have my chimney rebuilt so the price plus hotel is just a little too steep. I’m going to be very sad if we can’t make it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got badge, looking to see if anybody's looking to take a room crasher (paying my share as usual, of course). Worried to risk the room lottery and get stuck with something on my own, not quite sure how that works. :raise:

Have various people who can vouch for me not being weird(er than usual for GenCon) if necessary.

Can vouch that this guy was a good roommate and we were the assholes up until 2am drinking entirely too much lovely liquor.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got badge. Hotel lottery sucks, we've always had to stay on the edge of town, which is fine, but when you've got games scheduled at 8am it blows rear end, and trying to find parking is a pain in the rear end.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Philthy posted:

Got badge. Hotel lottery sucks, we've always had to stay on the edge of town, which is fine, but when you've got games scheduled at 8am it blows rear end, and trying to find parking is a pain in the rear end.

I have literally never had an issue finding parking if I'm going to things at 8AM. Try the underground lot on Capitol right before Louisiana, next to the food truck court. At 730AM there's always a spot, and it's right next to Bee Coffee so you can get your caffeine before gaming.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

djfooboo posted:

Technically, it's $110 for the opportunity to pay more for events and products. Not that that stopped me from getting my tickets.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Len posted:

Legitimately jealous of you guys that 1) can afford VIG and 2) can actually get the ticket

I've had it since the second year it was available. It sold out year three. The peace of mind that comes from the early access to the room block is worth enough that my friends and I happily split the extra cost of the badge every year.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, I'd love to get VIG. Maybe one of these years...

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I sadly won't be making it this year. Please continue the goon trend of SHOT WEDNESDAY without me!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Exmond posted:

I sadly won't be making it this year. Please continue the goon trend of SHOT WEDNESDAY without me!

I will have a shot for you.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Exmond posted:

Shot Wednesday is kind of its own monster at this point. Short of the con not happening, it's going to be a thing.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

This year I will eat dinner before Shots Wednesday.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

Shot Wednesday is kind of its own monster at this point. Short of the con not happening, it's going to be a thing.

I am fairly confident that if the con didn't happen Shot Wednesday would still occur

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think you are free to cancel. Like one of the strategies is for a bunch of people to agree to share a room before the lottery, and whoever has the best reservation gets a room for everyone.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Ego Trip posted:

This year I will eat dinner before Shots Wednesday.

A wise plan.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I am fairly confident that if the con didn't happen Shot Wednesday would still occur

Every day is Shot Wednesday if you try hard enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I might be looking for goon roommates I had two friends wanting to go and one just had to back out.

Course I won't know until late last month if I actually get the days off or not but at least it's all refundable

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

I think you are free to cancel. Like one of the strategies is for a bunch of people to agree to share a room before the lottery, and whoever has the best reservation gets a room for everyone.

Thought there were crazy cancellation fees to stop this.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room to use as a private gaming space? I want to organize a bunch of games and events for fans of my podcasts. I don't want them to be official events because I want to choose who gets to play. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

clockworkjoe posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room to use as a private gaming space? I want to organize a bunch of games and events for fans of my podcasts. I don't want them to be official events because I want to choose who gets to play. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

You might check with whatever hotel you're staying at to see if they have a room Gen Con didn't reserve, bt I don't think there's an official way to do it through the con. You could also try reaching out to Derek Guder, the event programming manager, to see if there's a way to reserve a private room.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

clockworkjoe posted:

A group of friends from New Jersey does this every year at Gen Con. They just reserve some tiny conference room in one of the hotels and its theirs 24 hours a day for all of Gen Con. I have no idea what this costs, and there are like 20+ of them to split the cost so I don't know if that means it works out to be super cheap or its that expensive it needs that many of them. By tiny it's still big enough for like 4 tables of gaming, but small enough Gen Con doesn't care about it, apparently.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Philthy posted:

Thought there were crazy cancellation fees to stop this.

Its $50 to cancel a reserved room. The only other fee would be the badge, but assuming you are going regardless of the room you get that is moot.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My group is going to try the lottery for the first time this year, but trying to coordinate my friends is like herding cats and boy oh boy I am not looking forward to the Three Stooges shitshow that is going to be our lottery day.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Reserved our hotel a week or two after GenCon last year. It's about five minutes away, which is easily done with Uber or Lyft. We're also going up Wednesday, I plan to see the spectacle that is Shot Wednesday.

I don't actually have my badge yet but my girlfriend does and boy won't that be awkward if they sell out in the next couple weeks.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is going to be a weird Gen Con. I'll be getting in on Tuesday and leaving Monday, and then will be doing a presentation at Trade Day for educators and running a booth all week. Looking forward to it but wondering how much this experience change is going to impact how I look at Gen Con.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My wife just informed me she will not be going. This means I can revert to games all night depravity!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Badge Registration Day +3 and still no new thread?

You disappoint me, Quarex.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I am happy and sad that the Shot Wednesday discussion now comes up without me to prompt it.

*sniff*

I am become the proud papa.

Ilor posted:

Badge Registration Day +3 and still no new thread?

You disappoint me, Quarex.

He said it's coming soon, had a personal thing. You'd know that if you were

IN GROUPME.

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Deviant posted:

He said it's coming soon, had a personal thing. You'd know that if you were

IN GROUPME.
Bah. I mute you fuckers in the off-season.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Eh its not a super chatty groupme in the offseason, just some gaming news now and then.

Not like dragoncon which gets like 500+ messages an hour

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

Not like dragonconthe super year round best friends club which gets like 500+ messages an hour

we went skiing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will know by the end of the month if I'm going but I most likely will be. Just in time to take part in the room lottery and face the crushing defeat that will come with it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am really curious to see if the no-room trade policy impacts the hotel lottery death day or not this year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Where was the no-room trade policy written? I didn’t see that. Seems like it just narrows the circle of room trades to people you trust with your last 4 digits cc and billing address?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thats exactly what it does.

http://www.gencon.com/attend/housing_travel/housing_terms_service

Gen Con Housing Page posted:

10.Room Assignment Management. Room assignments are unique and personal to the Gen Con account holder who purchased the badge and requested the assignment. Room assignments cannot be transferred, traded, or otherwise re-assigned among Gen Con accounts, and room assignments connected to one Gen Con account will remain associated with the account until housing registration closes or the room assignment is cancelled.

Also:

someone at gencon posted:

Account holders who find themselves unable to attend the convention can modify their room assignment to designate a friend or family member as the primary guest for their room assignment. With cardholder consent, they can also put the primary guest’s credit card on file to secure the assignment and pay the hotel deposit after housing registration ends; but the account holder retains the ability to modify or cancel the room assignment at-will and remains liable for the Terms of Service and any declined credit card transactions. If a room assignment is cancelled and the credit card on file is declined for any reason, the account holder remains responsible for settlement as required to keep their account in good standing. Accounts that fall out of good standing will lose their housing eligibility as described under the Terms of Service.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for digging those up for my lazy rear end, I appreciate it! Those changes don’t seem to affect much, unless there was some room scalping happening on reddit or something I don’t know about.

E: and just general jerky behavior of sitting on a reservation till you know for sure if you can go or not instead of letting early birds have the good stuff as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

My wife just informed me she will not be going. This means I can revert to games all night depravity!

WOOOOOO!!!!

• Locked thread