Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is, like, legitimately exciting news. Pity that probably means Gen-Con will leave Indianapolis for Stenchtown in 2024.

djfooboo posted:

Worst smell was easily a man in a hoveround that had literally shat himself (I am a nurse, I can tell a fart and a shite). He made no move to go to the bathroom, but instead was continuing to browse old musty GURPS books...
Texibus' comment pretty much covers it, but at some point in my late 20s I went from feeling anger to feeling pity and sadness over just about all forms of unbelievable social faux pas. Like, that guy undoubtedly knows full well he poo poo himself and his brain is quite possibly constantly repeating like YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON on loop, but looking at GURPS books is mildly pleasing so on he goes.

:smith:

SO HEY HOW ABOUT THAT OTHER TOPIC

uhhh

I am probably going to finally live my dream to get to Indianapolis on like Monday this year, I can hardly wait to find out just how overwhelmingly intense are the other nerds who do this too. If I do not get into at least one pick-up game of like 2nd edition AD&D played for ante, I will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What would you possibly be anteing in a 2nd ed d&d game. Dice? Shaving rights for each others neck beards?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

GenCon time already?! Hot drat

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Well if you do get into town that early let me know. I'll take you to check out some places outside the normal area.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pez posted:

What's the worst smell you've experienced at GenCon?

Oh yeah, the intersection in front of Steak & Shake with the literal sewage leak was so bad I literally gagged and a cop laughed

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh yeah, the intersection in front of Steak & Shake with the literal sewage leak was so bad I literally gagged and a cop laughed

My wife has experience in wastewater and sewer engineering, so last year when I complained about the smell she explained to me in great detail why it's an extremely difficult problem to solve.

Why? Everybody hates the smell, but nobody likes the solution of 'well, we've got to shut down this intersection and other parts of the road for a few months to a year, and maybe more depending on the state of the sewer when we find it. In the meantime, we've got to build more tunnels to divert the flow while we...'

Then, suddenly, nobody cares about the smell once they realize the solution interrupts their commutes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

LuiCypher posted:

My wife has experience in wastewater and sewer engineering, so last year when I complained about the smell she explained to me in great detail why it's an extremely difficult problem to solve.

Anyone who rooms with a goon has experience in sewer engineering. :v:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

What would you possibly be anteing in a 2nd ed d&d game. Dice? Shaving rights for each others neck beards?
"Officer, this here man claim-jumped my shaving rights for
nope

O.K.

What would you ante for... hmm... AD&D 2nd Edition tournament ...

BATTLE BEASTS

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Gencon is wothin 3 hours of where I live and I've never had a chance to go. What Warhammer 40k events go on there?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Uroboros posted:

Gencon is wothin 3 hours of where I live and I've never had a chance to go. What Warhammer 40k events go on there?

The event tends to be "How Will GW gently caress Up At The Con This Year?"

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Uroboros posted:

I've never actually played 40k there but they have tournaments, a good amount of free play areas with terrain, and some painting seminars and stuff. It's pretty much all you can eat warhammer games if that's your jam, and while I've never seen an apocalypse game going I'm sure those are going down too. Also, they have decent amount of entries from Warhammer figurine painters entered in the big miniature painting contest.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Forge World will also most likely have a booth where you can spend way too much money on their lovely resin cast-offs. They sell shirts and mugs if that's also your jam.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Double Agent posted:

The event tends to be "How Will GW gently caress Up At The Con This Year?"

Was it last year when they had one of the super tiny booths in the back of the vendor hall because they can't book correctly?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Slandible posted:

Was it last year when they had one of the super tiny booths in the back of the vendor hall because they can't book correctly?

I know that they had a small booth, but I do not remember if it was because they messed it up or if that's what they wanted. I do remember that 2 years ago was when the booth staff flying in from the UK applied for the wrong type of visa and got sent back home right after they got off the plane.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
#buildthatwall

Stardunk
Jan 19, 2009
So excited for GenCon 2017. Last year was my first time, and this year we are going for Trade Day so we can get our store work & ordering done that day and have the rest of the con for actual con-stuff.

Anyone here been to Trade Day? What should I expect and what's the schedule like for Wednesday in the dealer hall?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have been to Trade Day and presented there a few times as an educator, so my experience is a bit different. Personally it was a bit lack luster. Presentations were totally hit or miss, and as a presenter it really sucked to get an afternoon slot. Most people went to the morning stuff, but once the lunch break hit almost no one came back and you had a pretty sad audience at whatever you were presenting on.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

A friend of mine has gotten an artist table the last couple years. He mentioned this morning that they're doing their housing stuff today (his is just after noon). I'm not at all sure about this but it could mean that when their housing time ends, some unclaimed reserved rooms will get released back into the housing pool so it may be worth stalking the housing portal today or tomorrow if you were unlucky.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone know when the vendors do their housing stuff?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Anyone know when the vendors do their housing stuff?
Mudcrab Merchant does! I will ask! Or she will tell here! WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD

Edit: This just in from Mudcrabistan, they are live RIGHT NOW.

Edit: Unrelated I am currently checking how far every one of the Indianapolis Top 25 Restaurants is from the convention center, trip update if any are closer than expected (besides the usual suspects of St. Elmo Steak House and Café Patachou)

Edit: Hmm, interesting results... a few of these places are MAYBE close enough if you have a bold adventuring party willing to eat one of your fallen after walking three blocks in order to have the strength to make it six blocks.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 28, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown (connected to the convention center) had a few rooms open today if anyone else is still looking.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown (connected to the convention center) had a few rooms open today if anyone else is still looking.

They're gone now, I just looked.

I'm looking forward to the convention and trying to set down the games I'm going to run. I took a break last year but I think it would be good to run again since it's going to be pretty hard to get a game this year, it was last year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The GroupMe is hoppin' already, if any of you are holding out on joining like weirdos.

Classic instructions again if they got overshadowed in the opening posts:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any idea when/where the events list might be posted? This'll be my first year and I have only the vaguest idea of what to expect.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any idea when/where the events list might be posted? This'll be my first year and I have only the vaguest idea of what to expect.

It gets posted on the gen con site, usually about a week or two prior to opening registration for them

e. i think anyway

I don't pay close attention to events since i go to so few of them

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Regardless you have a while. Registration isn't until May something.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Event submissions (i.e. GMs saying which events they want to run) are usually due by the end of March or so, then they take a couple of months to draw up the schedule before opening up event registration in May.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I had this silly idea last year, but wasn't able to execute it. At the big Wednesday drunken meetup thing, I will be running an Ugly Dice Contest! Bring your ugliest dice, I will photograph them and send it to my panel of judges, and they will choose this winner. Winner gets an drink of their choice at wherever we meet up. Note that this is an ugly dice contest and not an ugly die contest, so you need at least two of them. More information as think of it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

I had this silly idea last year, but wasn't able to execute it. At the big Wednesday drunken meetup thing, I will be running an Ugly Dice Contest! Bring your ugliest dice, I will photograph them and send it to my panel of judges, and they will choose this winner. Winner gets an drink of their choice at wherever we meet up. Note that this is an ugly dice contest and not an ugly die contest, so you need at least two of them. More information as think of it.
Do homemade dice count? Asking for a friend also named Dr. Quarex.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do homemade dice count? Asking for a friend also named Dr. Quarex.

Let's say that if there is enough interest, at least 2 entries per catagory, there will be three categories: the full 7 set, 2d6, and exotics (anything else). I will, of course, post the winners in the thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ilor posted:

Event submissions (i.e. GMs saying which events they want to run) are usually due by the end of March or so, then they take a couple of months to draw up the schedule before opening up event registration in May.

Where do I submit events?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Where do I submit events?

https://www.gencon.com/event_submissions

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks. I submitted two events for late night PRGs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'll def be running some goon catastrophy late night during the con so look forward to that

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'll def be running some goon catastrophy late night during the con so look forward to that

As long as I get to be the truck again.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Carteret posted:

As long as I get to be the truck again.

If I run a dungeon world game I promise I'll make a whole character playbook of THE TRUCK

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If I run a dungeon world game I promise I'll make a whole character playbook of THE TRUCK

You have no idea how happy that just made me. gently caress WHY IS GENCON SO FAR AWAY

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

It's my oft-talked about Paranoia conversion of Tomb of Horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I will be trying to run some Delta Green for Arc Dream this time around. It will likely be nothing original since I'll have a difficult time creating and planning out something that can be run in 4 hours (i.e., I need to create a concept that I can playtest and run before the con), but they have plenty of content they've already created that I can run in that time frame.

• Locked thread