Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

I suggest a quiet dinner for 4. 8. 13 but I swear this is is it. 19. At the tilted kilt

"Can I get 23 shots of fireball? Thanks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deviant posted:

I suggest a quiet dinner for 4. 8. 13 but I swear this is is it. 19. At the tilted kilt

"Can I get 23 shots of fireball? Thanks!"

Shot Wednsday was one of my highlights at gencon

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yo, anyone else staying at the Super 8 on Southport Road? Wanna see if anyone wants to split taxi fare to and from the convention centre.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not going to lie, They Might Be Giants is probably the biggest band that is a perfect fit for Gen-Con. I have not seen them live since like 1998 but I AM GONNA GO HELL YEAH

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am not going to lie, They Might Be Giants is probably the biggest band that is a perfect fit for Gen-Con. I have not seen them live since like 1998 but I AM GONNA GO HELL YEAH

That's pretty cool. I would probably go if it were not during Gen Con.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
where do I go to get cool gencon pictures? I want to get myself hype and sell one of my friends on going to gencon.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Impermanent posted:

where do I go to get cool gencon pictures? I want to get myself hype and sell one of my friends on going to gencon.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I already showed them that one and it did help but hasn't pushed them over the edge yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Impermanent posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...bih=901#imgrc=_

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
What are the thoughts on taking kids to GenCon. The wife and I are looking to take the four year old. Will he have a good time, or should his first Con be something more like ComicCon?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Uroboros posted:

What are the thoughts on taking kids to GenCon. The wife and I are looking to take the four year old. Will he have a good time, or should his first Con be something more like ComicCon?

From an interview I just did with Margaret Weis if it helps:

Shoemaker: Sticking with that theme, how has your experience as a woman changed at Gen Con?

Weis: There are more women! A lot more women. I remember my first Gen Con at Parkside, I remember seeing a young woman, she was walking down the hall at the college with a DMG in her arm and, like, men, following her. There were very few women attending the convention then. And I think most of us that were there were working for TSR. But there were a few. So yeah, what we're seeing now is more women, a lot more families, and I really like to see that. We see fathers playing games with their daughters, mothers playing games with their sons which is how I introduced my kids, they went to Gen Con the very first year, had a ball. And I think the advent of family day, on Sunday, has been really, really good for Gen Con. I can really see a difference, getting a lot more people on Sunday than we used to. And its families getting in for one price and its great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's very child friendly and the kids really love seeing everyone in costumes and stuff.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If anyone is interested in a free badge & swag, Chaosium is seeking people to run Call of Cthulu and/or nuRunequest games at Gencon.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
So one of my friends managed to snag a closer hotel location. I would like to transfer my current reservation instead of paying the cancellation fee. It is an airport hotel, so you are looking to drive, shuttle, or taxi back and forth, but it is also a guaranteed 4 day reservation.

Here is the info.

Hotel: Candlewood Suites Airport
Check-in: 16-Aug-2017
Check-out: 20-Aug-2017
Room type: One Bedroom Queen Suite w/Pullout Sofa
Number of rooms: 1
Guests per room: 4
Rate: $179 per night
Total: $ 716

Anyone interested please Private Message me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haystack posted:

If anyone is interested in a free badge & swag, Chaosium is seeking people to run Call of Cthulu and/or nuRunequest games at Gencon.
Yeah I saw this, and it made me smile to think the new heads of Chaosium really are finally going all-in on the oft-repeated idea that Chaosium should really be one of the biggest players in the role-playing scene, with actual large-scale efforts to get their games out there at conventions.

I guess that means I better figure out if I am Auction-Dude this year or if I want to become Dr. Cthulhu.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think you want to be auction dude. It's Kask's last year and I don't think Frank has many auctions left in him.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
OH poo poo KASK'S LAST YEAR WHYYYYYYY fair enough, I will check with Katie.

Also...uh. Huh.

Gen-Con E-Mail posted:

To commemorate 2017’s historic Gen Con 50, the convention will create a showcase area on the [Lucas Oil Stadium] field that honors the first Gen Con, held in the 1967. In this space, attendees will get to see an homage construction of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin’s Horticultural Hall, located right on the field.
Well that is random and delightful.

I can take a selfie with this to go with my selfie from the real Horticultural Hall :smug:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope it's better than White Wolf's New Orleans salon or whatever from some years ago.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not sure how it could be any worse than "a couple of pleasant-looking walls with mirrors and a banner telling you to go to another city."

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey ill be in Indianapolis on Tuesday, free on Wednsday. Any other goons going to gencon a bit early?

Any touristy thing to do in Indianapolis?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Exmond posted:

Hey ill be in Indianapolis on Tuesday, free on Wednsday. Any other goons going to gencon a bit early?

Extend your trip through sunday and go to gencon?

Real answer: i think there are a fair few museums and parks in indianapolis to entertain yourself at. There will be a good number of goons in town wednesday night, i hope you like doing shots.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Extend your trip through sunday and go to gencon?

Real answer: i think there are a fair few museums and parks in indianapolis to entertain yourself at. There will be a good number of goons in town wednesday night, i hope you like doing shots.

I am going to gencon, im just arriving a day early!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
My group will be there Wednesday

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey goons, I can't make it to gencon this year and was hoping to ask a favor from someone going. I was hoping to get a copy of the l5r lcg from fantasy flight. I'd pay face and shipping if someone was up to it. Pm me and we can discuss.

Thank you

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Good luck, I'm sure FFG will have 50 a day as per norm for new hotness.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Exmond posted:

I am going to gencon, im just arriving a day early!

Oh for some reason i interpreted your post as having other business in indianapolis that week and just looking for something to do :downs:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Exmond posted:

The military museum is entertaining. All the weapons are combat ready too as of last year so it's a good place to go when society falls apart in some cinema apocalypse.

djfooboo posted:

Good luck, I'm sure FFG will have 50 a day as per norm for new hotness.

Did they start capping purchases? I remember VIG's buying giant stacks of Netrunner when it came out.

On L5R, I'd honestly just wait. I plan on buying into it after official release and playing it a good deal but there's no real benefit to getting it at Gencon than waiting. It'll be the same box, probably cheaper elsewhere and you'll probably need to buy more copies. I think you'll be lucky to get one unless you know a VIG who is willing to get in line when the door opens for them.

EDIT:

As has been stated on the boards before, there will probably be a spoiler database before the game officially releases too. No real reason to get it then than waiting since they usually print enough for LCG releases. It's not Star Wars Destiny.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The military museum is entertaining. All the weapons are combat ready too as of last year so it's a good place to go when society falls apart in some cinema apocalypse.

Plus the shrine up top is pretty breathtaking.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Plus the shrine up top is pretty breathtaking.

It is.

This flag is giant btw.

I've also heard the Indiana State Museum and the Eiteljorg Museum are nice but I've never been.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I have a badge purchase question: This year, I'm only able to attend on Sunday, but I don't see the option for a Sunday badge. Instead, I can buy a "Family Fun Package," which lets me buy 4 badges for just $45 (total, not each). Am I understanding that correctly? Are the badges restricted to parents and kids, or can it be, as in this case, for me and my girlfriend? Are these badges otherwise the same as a normal 1-day or 4-day badge?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Malthusian posted:

I have a badge purchase question: This year, I'm only able to attend on Sunday, but I don't see the option for a Sunday badge. Instead, I can buy a "Family Fun Package," which lets me buy 4 badges for just $45 (total, not each). Am I understanding that correctly? Are the badges restricted to parents and kids, or can it be, as in this case, for me and my girlfriend? Are these badges otherwise the same as a normal 1-day or 4-day badge?

To be honest I'm amazed they even charge for the Sunday badges. Most everything is done, and over and everyone is pretty much packing up to go home. That price seems reasonable, and 8-under are free so yeah, you should be fine.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

The Malthusian posted:

Yeah, you're fine. I have a group of four friends who get that family package every year. They're not going to check to make sure you're related, or anything.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had not looked at the Gen-Con Forums for more than about five minutes since they switched forum software a couple of years back, but I was not disappointed by what I found when I jumped back in. Well other than almost immediately finding a thread where the guy who I can always count on to post ignorant shithead comments did, indeed, jump into and poo poo up a thread about sexual harassment. But here are some recent highlights:

Internet Tough Guy posted:

Only problem for anyone flying is dealing with the drat TSA. Friend of mine had an incident on his way to a convention where he had to open his miniature case so they could check it, and the TSA drone just started tossing the miniatures out as he conducted his search. METAL miniatures, so they were breaking as he tossed them out. My friend demanded the guy's badge number and to see his supervisor, and the TSA guy tossed him the "You can't talk to me like that!" attitude - until said friend told said drone that what he was doing was destruction of property, a crime.
Why do I imagine what actually happened was that the dude was lifting up the miniatures to look underneath them and some of them fell out and the dude nerdraged out of the blue

(Granted if the TSA person actually just treated the miniatures like stupid toys I can both understand why that would be infuriating and why it would seem entirely reasonable to treat tiny figures like toys)

Sigh posted:

I know it just reveals that I'm juvenile at heart, but whenever I see your name on the forums I think of Monty Python's Life of Brian - one of my favorite films.
Man 1 Well, what about Wodewick then?
Crowd Yeah, welease Wodewick! Welease Wodewick! Hahahaha!
Pilate Centuwion, why do they... tittew so?

[writes out the entirety of the scene in this fashion]

Sorry. :-)
Wow I have not seen an unironic lengthy Monty Python quote tirade in years

The Traditional Games Forum's Greatest Foe, Obviously posted:

We play Pathfinder so we usually have an 8:00 AM, 2:00 PM, and 8:00 PM game scheduled Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and just an 8:00 or 9:00 AM one scheduled Sunday.
I originally went and tried new games or editions, but I decided that I play Pathfinder at home and that is what I enjoy at the convention so I just play it.
Truly, what can you add to this? Granted I am no Pathfinder Hater, I have played it a handful of times and it was fun, but yeah the idea that someone is all-in on Pathfinder is amazing.

Edgar Bergen posted:

[What do you have in your Gen-Con bag?]

A ventriloquist's dummy. Because I want to see how far people draw back when I use it for both role playing and interacting with people around the table for 4 hours. And also, because screw practical, this con's about having fun. ;)
On one hand, purple monkey cheese; on the other, possible serial killer.

Carteret posted:

To be honest I'm amazed they even charge for the Sunday badges. Most everything is done, and over and everyone is pretty much packing up to go home. That price seems reasonable, and 8-under are free so yeah, you should be fine.
Hey c'mon now, I was just talking to TORRENT HEY TORRENT COME POST oh I see you did in the days I was compiling this post about how confusing it is that people seem to discount Sunday's existence entirely. Sunday is the day you are going to find the best deals in the Exhibition Hall since the vendors do not want to carry their stuff back to the car, and it only closes two hours earlier than the other days. I mean, sure, then everything closes along with it, but there is no shortage of stuff going on Sunday.

Also...where is the military museum? The only ones clearly labelled that I am finding are not in Indianapolis, or even a suburb.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

An Actual Murderer posted:

[What do you have in your Gen-Con bag?]

A ventriloquist's dummy. Because I want to see how far people draw back when I use it for both role playing and interacting with people around the table for 4 hours. And also, because screw practical, this con's about having fun.
On one hand, purple monkey cheese; on the other, possible serial killer.

If this ever happened at a table I'd just straight walk away, no words, no comment, just out. I don't have time to get murdered by The Puppet Master when I'm trying to play pretend here

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If this ever happened at a table I'd just straight walk away, no words, no comment, just out. I don't have time to get murdered by The Puppet Master when I'm trying to play pretend here

Little do you know you were the puppet the entire time

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Every time I read anything about the RPG stuff at Gen Con, it makes me happy I have no interest in the RPG stuff at Gen Con.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Basically all I do at GenCon is play in RPGs (something like 30~ hours of them last year), and mostly they're awesome and I have a good time, but big yikes to the game last year that involved two people just constantly telling my wife exactly what she can and can not do in the game, at one point stopping the game in its tracks to delineate what "roll to shoot" means in gruesome detail. Or the Numenara game that the GM flew off the handle for when we wouldn't be corralled into a room and canceled the game right there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There are bad games of all kinds at Gen Con. My worst was when one of the friends I was traveling with had the brilliant idea to sign us all up for a game that ran from 8pm to 8am. We weren't thrilled with that to start, but it became clear pretty quick the GM running the game only had a game running this long, and with a dozen players, so he could get his room paid off for having enough player hours. It was easily the worst roleplaying experience I have ever had with one the DM encouraging one of the players to constantly shoot fire out of his characters cock. Took off pretty quickly.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only weird game I played in at Gencon was a CoC game where we played Nazis going to some island for something. No crazy Wehraboo or racist poo poo like you'd expect but one of the characters got some weird sexual psychosis thing and started screwing a character in the butt. I think the character was an NPC or a dead PC, I kind of blacked out as a defense mechanism, and my character immediately killed the crazy character, who was unplayable for the rest of the game. The GM was kind of a dick about it too, like "Why did you do that?" My character was among the surviving characters, which was a surprise because he was kitted out for tank killing or something like that, more in line with Kursk than an island investigation. He was the only actual German among the group of survivors too because the rest of the survivors were British or American spies.

That's the one bad experience I've had but then again I'm a straight white male so I don't really attract standard gamer shittyness. Back when you could get into games half the time I picked games that seemed fine but that's a thing of the past. You're kind of lucky if you can get into a fifth of the games you want unless they're something obscure.

EDIT:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also...where is the military museum? The only ones clearly labelled that I am finding are not in Indianapolis, or even a suburb.

The address is 431 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46204. It's the Indiana War Memorial so it might not show up in searches for a museum.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

enigmahfc posted:

Every time I read anything about the RPG stuff at Gen Con, it makes me happy I have no interest in the RPG stuff at Gen Con.
My catchphrase is that Gen-Con is too short to spend your time gaming, but I suspect you just do some other sort of gaming instead. I certainly have had some uniquely terrible experiences in RPGs at Gen-Con, but I have also had some of the most randomly fun and/or memorable gaming sessions of my life there. Like the inexplicably fun live-action game where everyone played minimally-sentient pets at a pet store. Or the time I played a Tunnels & Trolls game run by Ken St. Andre and he made my girlfriend cry and leave the table (not, as you might expect, through misogyny!).

Or the I-seriously-cannot-believe-this-game-is-still-going-20-years-later-but-good-for-them "Totally Not Vampire: The Masquerade" live-action game where a couple of the guys in my group were so bored that after an hour or so we made the decision to go rogue and started randomly killing and eating important NPCs and trying to reveal the existence of vampires and werewolves to the public at large, and basically every other player banded together to stop us. It was a lesson for me in how you actually can be a productive member of a game as an evil character as long as you are not doing it because you are an rear end in a top hat ... even though I would also probably never do that again.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's the one bad experience I've had but then again I'm a straight white male so I don't really attract standard gamer shittyness. Back when you could get into games half the time I picked games that seemed fine but that's a thing of the past. You're kind of lucky if you can get into a fifth of the games you want unless they're something obscure.
Yeah your odds of having a minimally awful experience certainly increase if you are a straight white dude. There are actually minimal "evil person" stories from Gen-Con, almost always "incredibly obstinate person" stories.

Also thanks for the Indiana War Memorial address, it is now duly added to my "things to do while in a half-crazed state before Gen-Con" Google Map.

• Locked thread