Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The all-important double post because I was just looking through Offworld Designs' shop and noticed they have a Gen-Con 50 laptop/messenger bag in stock; my own Gen-Con messenger/laptop bag is basically my favorite bag I have ever owned, so if you think $70 is an entirely reasonable price to pay for something to put other things that cost too much in, then check it out! I think the color is even a little more badass this time around.

:page2snypaomgwtfbbq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What is "Gen Con Presents"? Every event I submitted has been changed to add this to them and the same thing happened last year but nothing comes up when I search.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

The all-important double post because I was just looking through Offworld Designs' shop and noticed they have a Gen-Con 50 laptop/messenger bag in stock; my own Gen-Con messenger/laptop bag is basically my favorite bag I have ever owned, so if you think $70 is an entirely reasonable price to pay for something to put other things that cost too much in, then check it out! I think the color is even a little more badass this time around.

:page2snypaomgwtfbbq:

That is a nice looking bag this year!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What is "Gen Con Presents"? Every event I submitted has been changed to add this to them and the same thing happened last year but nothing comes up when I search.

Branding

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

yes thank you for your valuable input friend

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
http://www.gencon.com/forums/9-event-organizers-gms/topics/1071-premier-event-groups-for-2016

better? Appears to be a focus term for gen con on non-premier listings

So they're saying you aren't backed by a larger group.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 28, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Northern Virginia Gamers has the most unfortunate acronym.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

As if there's a larger group to be backed by at Gen Con than the illustrious #KarKrew2017

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As if there's a larger group to be backed by at Gen Con than the illustrious #KarKrew2017

Represent!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Here is a surprisingly good and incredibly long write-up of Gen-Con advice from one of dozens of people going by "the Angry/Furious/Frustrated/Pilloried/Disappointed/Discombobulated/Antidisestablishmentarianistic [Noun]" on the Internet:

Edit: Eat poo poo GamerGate scum

Obviously there will be plenty of familiar ground covered in any write-up of a convention if you have been to one and read about them before, but I had honestly never stopped to think about his point that you should not do a demo if there is a 0% chance of you buying the game. I always just sort of felt sorry for all those dumb game companies and figured I was cheering them up by acceding to their requests. But considering in my 15 Gens-Con I have bought all of one game after a demo pitch (APPLES TO APPLES in 2002 HELL YEAH), I think I am better off avoiding them.

Just go look at some of the Gen-Con Forums' advice threads instead:

http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/6785-first-time-attending
http://www.gencon.com/forums/22-general-info-2017/topics/7071-what-s-in-your-bag-2017

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 1, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Here is a surprisingly good and incredibly long write-up of Gen-Con advice from one of dozens of people going by "the Angry/Furious/Frustrated/Pilloried/Disappointed/Discombobulated/Antidisestablishmentarianistic [Noun]" on the Internet:

http://theangrygm.com/how-to-even-gencon-the-complete-noob-guide/

Obviously there will be plenty of familiar ground covered in any write-up of a convention if you have been to one and read about them before, but I had honestly never stopped to think about his point that you should not do a demo if there is a 0% chance of you buying the game. I always just sort of felt sorry for all those dumb game companies and figured I was cheering them up by acceding to their requests. But considering in my 15 Gens-Con I have bought all of one game after a demo pitch (APPLES TO APPLES in 2002 HELL YEAH), I think I am better off avoiding them.

"Angry GM posted:

before you even start packing for your trip. After you found a successful podcast and get booted off by your co-creator over creative differences, whereafter he steals the show, erases you from its history, and runs it into the ground; spitefully start your own gaming blog and Twitter feed. Over the course of several years, build both up and become very successful. Network within the community, befriending other creators, doing guest appearances on podcasts and writing occasional pieces for other blogs. Maybe even do a little freelance work. Once you’re done with that, go to GenCon. It will be awesome.

*backs away slowly and closes the door*

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yeah, from my interactions with him and from the interactions I've seen its safe to say that the Angry GM is an rear end in a top hat who's more than a bit full of himself.
I especially liked the time he got into a twitter argument with @forexposure_txt about paying for writing/art in the RPG industry.

Edit: found it. The tweets are all around here.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 1, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Exmond posted:

I actually found that quoted segment funny because it seemed like he had a sense of humor about it, but those Tweets suggest he may, in fact, just be so easily irritated that he wants to bring up his bitter past at all times.

Also even as someone who has never in his life tried to get paid for a creative endeavor that Twitter is very upsetting. Though I suspect a fair chunk of those utterly clueless people asking for personal art are like 12 and literally do not understand money, not just virtually do not understand money.

Edit: Regardless, the tips are solid! Just make sure to never pay him for his creative work.

Edit: I also love that THERE ARE NO ETHICS IN GAME JOURNALISM MAN is also apparently NEVER PAY CREATIVE PEOPLE FOR THEIR OUTPUT MAN

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2017

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK

Exmond posted:

That reminds me that he made a separate twitter for his gamergate ranting about how women are ruining games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PixelScum posted:

That reminds me that he made a separate twitter for his gamergate ranting about how women are ruining games.
Oooh that is bad enough that I want to remove his advice article!

https://theangryvgamer.wordpress.com/author/theangryvgamer/

Sigh. Yeah it looks like he deleted his associated Twitter account, no doubt wisely, but still. Ugh.

Stopped clock, blah blah.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Edit: Eat poo poo GamerGate scum

:yeah:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
For Demos i generally will do a demo if

1) The table is deserted or if nobody is interested in playing it,
2) If i have a genuine interest in the game and want to see how the mechanics play out
3) If I want to try the game before I buy it

#2 happens the most, with #3 being a close second. #1 rarely happens unless its a kid game or something like that.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there any date yet for when event info goes up and when you can register?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Slandible posted:

Is there any date yet for when event info goes up and when you can register?

Memorial Day weekend for event sign-up. Sunday at Noon (eastern I think)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

8one6 posted:

Memorial Day weekend for event sign-up. Sunday at Noon (eastern I think)

And the catalog usually goes up about a week beforehand.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Important update from the Gen-Con Forums:

Quarex posted:

I still remember the hubbub when Hayden Panettiere was randomly signing autographs at the Bella Sera booth.

A Helpful Person posted:

[Quarex] I remember when she was there, if I'm not mistaken, she was signed up to be at the Bella Sera booth to sign autographs.
Thank you, my friend. I would never have known that if not for your swift post intervention. Gen-Consplained.

Anybody else here going to PAX Unplugged too? How about Origins? I cannot believe I am going to both in addition to Gen-Con considering how I did zero connin' last year, but what can I say; when I decide that conventions are what I enjoy most in life, I go all-in.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'm considering Unplugged since I've never been to Philly before, could be fun.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm considering Unplugged since I've never been to Philly before, could be fun.

I made a thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816165&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Registration opened already but it looks like there are still badges left!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

enigmahfc posted:

Every time I read anything about the RPG stuff at Gen Con, it makes me happy I have no interest in the RPG stuff at Gen Con.

Go play weird stuff that isn't traditional pen and paper. Play NSDM, it's a blast whether you're the USA and Castro just died, or you're the DPRK and Kim Jong Il just ate a SAM on his way to a summit thanks to an ambitious underling. Check out the board game library and auctions. If you can get a full group together, True Dungeon is a blast, but it's gotten a bit nuts over the years in terms of people buying treasure tokens, so who knows how a pick-up group would be. I wish I had the time and cash to go this year.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Jedi425 posted:

Go play weird stuff that isn't traditional pen and paper. Play NSDM, it's a blast whether you're the USA and Castro just died, or you're the DPRK and Kim Jong Il just ate a SAM on his way to a summit thanks to an ambitious underling. Check out the board game library and auctions. If you can get a full group together, True Dungeon is a blast, but it's gotten a bit nuts over the years in terms of people buying treasure tokens, so who knows how a pick-up group would be. I wish I had the time and cash to go this year.

NSDM is pretty awful imho. We had a poo poo load of goons in one a couple of years ago and had people walking out halfway through. The moderators where unhelpful at best, assholes at worst which added to the poo poo experience.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Backno posted:

NSDM is pretty awful imho. We had a poo poo load of goons in one a couple of years ago and had people walking out halfway through. The moderators where unhelpful at best, assholes at worst which added to the poo poo experience.

It didn't help that we were literal agents of chaos being goony idiots trying to break poo poo.
...although to be fair we (USSR) did both fake and successfully BEAT the Americans to the moon. It helped that John Glen died early. TOTALLY NOT US

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Carteret posted:

It didn't help that we were literal agents of chaos being goony idiots trying to break poo poo.
...although to be fair we (USSR) did both fake and successfully BEAT the Americans to the moon. It helped that John Glen died early. TOTALLY NOT US

Yeah, but they wouldn't let american nuclear structure have any fun. I was loving head of Strategic Air Command and they specifically said I wasn't allowed to go all Dr Strangelove.

"BORED. BYE."

Although i think we lost the sympathy of the NSDM staff when Saint Gerald started openly pouring bourbon for the american command structure

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I just wanted to nuke China. :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ego Trip posted:

I just wanted to nuke China. :(

WE ALL WANTED TO NUKE ANYTHING.

I wonder what happened after we made that random guy president/vp/sac/joint chiefs all at once

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 6, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The picture of the glass of scotch being your NORAD commander or whatever always cracks me up

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deviant posted:

Although i think we lost the sympathy of the NSDM staff when Saint Gerald started openly pouring bourbon for the american command structure

I was in character. You're all fortunate I didn't whip out Jumbo and invite the staff to compare.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

WE ALL WANTED TO NUKE ANYTHING.

I wonder what happened after we made that random guy president/vp/sac/joint chiefs all at once

Actually, I got Chairman of the Joint Chiefs because I was Secretary of the Army. (And the President wouldn't authorize me intervening in the labor strikes somewhere in South America.)

I found something called Watch the Skies that sounds a little like NSDM, but with actual board game elements like resource management and stuff. (Basically, aliens are invading Earth; the countries all have to research, fight, negotiate, or whatever to deal with it.) There's one in Falls Church, VA in June that I bought a ticket for, but it sounds like a lot of different cities have a Megagame group that runs it.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Anybody else here going to PAX Unplugged too? How about Origins? I cannot believe I am going to both in addition to Gen-Con considering how I did zero connin' last year, but what can I say; when I decide that conventions are what I enjoy most in life, I go all-in.

I'm going to Origins, which continues to try really really hard to be a real grown-up con but somehow fails basic logistics year after year. Event registration (last week) was plagued by the servers not being able to handle the load AND by their credit card payment system not being configured to, you know, accept credit cards. There's always a line hours long to pick up badges because they insist on printing them on site. Last year I went to an event on Friday that had been rescheduled...to Thursday, because that makes sense.

Every year there are a handful of moments that just baffle me. I get complex organizations have many moving parts but it really feels like every year is their first year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Carteret posted:

I wasn't. Even trying to play it straight, it still sucked unless you got one of the major roles. After I got shut down by the staff member for the one thing that popped on the newsfeed that was actually in my bailiwick ("Oh no, that would have to be done by the Politboro" for an internal counterintelligence issue when I was supposed to be the head of the KGB directorate dealing with counterintelligence), I left and started sending pictures to the Goon GroupMe of Comrade RumnCoke with my KGB badge from the hotel bar.

I desperately wanted it to be fun. I was in Model UN in high school; I'm the type of person who should like NSDM. But it was pretty terrible.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

head58 posted:

I'm going to Origins, which continues to try really really hard to be a real grown-up con but somehow fails basic logistics year after year. Event registration (last week) was plagued by the servers not being able to handle the load AND by their credit card payment system not being configured to, you know, accept credit cards. There's always a line hours long to pick up badges because they insist on printing them on site. Last year I went to an event on Friday that had been rescheduled...to Thursday, because that makes sense.

Every year there are a handful of moments that just baffle me. I get complex organizations have many moving parts but it really feels like every year is their first year.
Origins really is a great example of what we in the social science biz call path dependency, where you look at how structural changes made to something (in this case, an "institution") dictate how it progresses from that point forward; in this case having two institutions that were functionally quite similar at one point (vis-à-vis Gen-Con) means that trying to ascertain what caused the dramatic spiraling of one into comparative irrelevance is even more intriguing.

There are no obvious numbers available for Origins attendance in the 1990s after the last joint convention with Gen-Con, but by the early 2000s Gen-Con was obviously a bigger show--but not so much bigger; there was only a ~7,500-person difference in attendance in 2004, which if everything had stayed the same now would make Origins another pretty big show indeed. But these days the difference in attendance is averaging +/-40,000 instead of +/-7,500. And on one hand, it would seem like Origins is to blame--they seem to have never really adapted to this whole "Internet" thing, barely having a presence at all beyond their official webpage and seemingly often lacking basic functionality.

But really, it seems like it was Gen-Con that changed, not Origins. Peter Adkison is a fabulously wealthy ex-gaming dude who runs a major gaming convention for seemingly his main occupation at this point; GAMA, the organization behind Origins, is a conglomerate whose primary business is game distribution. This is not to say that a gaming distribution conglomerate could not, in fact, run a great convention, but it has certainly never seemed like the people in charge of Origins care to make it seem like a professional operation. Particularly since the complaints, as you implied, are pretty much the same every year, as opposed to Gen-Con where every year there are exciting new complaints (though they tend towards hating the lack of scoring an attached hotel. Which brings us back to Gen-Con being fabulously successful.

Maybe Nesbit37 knows way more about this than I do though! I only really claim the knowledge of an outside observer who spends far too much time thinking about gaming culture and history.

Edit: Haha, I just found out that GAMA was actually founded specifically to manage the Origins Game Fair. This brings me to a different social science research concept: mission creep

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2017

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe Nesbit37 knows way more about this than I do though! I only really claim the knowledge of an outside observer who spends far too much time thinking about gaming culture and history.

This is largely speculation because I don't know a ton about the history of Origins, but I can talk about this as to how it relates to the history of Gen Con.

So Origins was born out of some of the gamers backlash of D&D and roleplaying games in general. According to Kask, RPGs were specifically not invited to Origins initially. Looking at my Origins 1 program there definitely was no RPG presence and it was even subtitled the National Wargaming Conference. RPGs, and by extension of the time TSR, were one of the primary driving forces of attendance of Gen Con through the early 90s. If you look at the table numbers for individual games from the early days its kind of crazy, with only maybe 8 or 10 seats available for Diplomacy players but over 300 available to a single game of D&D (with multiple DMs of course). This made Gen Con the show to be at in the 70s and 80s, unless you were a diehard wargamer that hated the RPG scene.

Come the 90s it gets a little more sketchy, but I would attribute it to Adkinson deciding to debut and then mainting a strong presence of Magic at Gen Con. For the more current times, and this is purely speculation, but I would put the growth spike of Gen Con over Origins more about Gen Con's embrace of pop-culture while Origins has, like in the 80s, stuck to their gaming only guns. Their crappy internet presence certainly doesn't help though.

edit: I still need to interview Mudcrabmerchant to get some more insight on the whole cosplay and popculture angle for this project.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fordan posted:

I wasn't. Even trying to play it straight, it still sucked unless you got one of the major roles. After I got shut down by the staff member for the one thing that popped on the newsfeed that was actually in my bailiwick ("Oh no, that would have to be done by the Politboro" for an internal counterintelligence issue when I was supposed to be the head of the KGB directorate dealing with counterintelligence), I left and started sending pictures to the Goon GroupMe of Comrade RumnCoke with my KGB badge from the hotel bar.

I desperately wanted it to be fun. I was in Model UN in high school; I'm the type of person who should like NSDM. But it was pretty terrible.

You're making me feel like I need to corral up some University of Chicago Model UN folks to show them how to run one of these simulations.

In college, the UChicago MUN Conference was nothing but Crisis Committees (which are basically a bunch of mini-NSDMs).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:siren: COMMUNICATION INFO :siren:

As we get closer to event time, I want to point out to anyone that may not use it that we use Groupme for chat and coordination.

It's a great mobile/PC app that can fall back to group texting when data isn't available.

If you aren't in the Goon Gencon Groupme Group yet, PM me your username or phone number and we can get you set up.

https://www.groupme.com

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU Click this link to join!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of, events are live! Mine is here if anyone wants to get on it, but be aware I'll be running a goon fuckup game later in the evening
https://www.gencon.com/events/106204

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Nemesis Of Moles runs ace Dungeon World games, +1 would dungeon again.

• Locked thread