Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Last year there was an indian curry place that had a buffet, was cheap, had tons of room and was delicious. Anyone got the name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Join the groupme! We're been fairly chatty since last gencon, its a fun time

The groupme is great. Do you want to play boardgames at 2:30pm for an hour, Group me

Are you too tired to literally notice a group of goons sitting right beside you in the restaurant, groupme

Do you want to know the best places to eat, groupme

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

I think one round of shots wednesday was the single largest purchase i made at gencon. Thankfully it was offset by the incredibly generous friends that Deviant and I made during True Dungeon and bought dinner/drinks for both of us and we didnt even get murdered for my super rare loot chip

Shot Wednesday was a pretty cool introduction to gencon. We need a new placcard for the group ( Old one was make america D20 again).

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I got in at 1:59pm and got a skywalk hotel! Only one bed so me and my friend will need to enact sacred friendship pillow (or get a cot, which is preferred)

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deviant posted:

I suggest a quiet dinner for 4. 8. 13 but I swear this is is it. 19. At the tilted kilt

"Can I get 23 shots of fireball? Thanks!"

Shot Wednsday was one of my highlights at gencon

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Impermanent posted:

where do I go to get cool gencon pictures? I want to get myself hype and sell one of my friends on going to gencon.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey ill be in Indianapolis on Tuesday, free on Wednsday. Any other goons going to gencon a bit early?

Any touristy thing to do in Indianapolis?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Extend your trip through sunday and go to gencon?

Real answer: i think there are a fair few museums and parks in indianapolis to entertain yourself at. There will be a good number of goons in town wednesday night, i hope you like doing shots.

I am going to gencon, im just arriving a day early!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Here is a surprisingly good and incredibly long write-up of Gen-Con advice from one of dozens of people going by "the Angry/Furious/Frustrated/Pilloried/Disappointed/Discombobulated/Antidisestablishmentarianistic [Noun]" on the Internet:

http://theangrygm.com/how-to-even-gencon-the-complete-noob-guide/

Obviously there will be plenty of familiar ground covered in any write-up of a convention if you have been to one and read about them before, but I had honestly never stopped to think about his point that you should not do a demo if there is a 0% chance of you buying the game. I always just sort of felt sorry for all those dumb game companies and figured I was cheering them up by acceding to their requests. But considering in my 15 Gens-Con I have bought all of one game after a demo pitch (APPLES TO APPLES in 2002 HELL YEAH), I think I am better off avoiding them.

"Angry GM posted:

before you even start packing for your trip. After you found a successful podcast and get booted off by your co-creator over creative differences, whereafter he steals the show, erases you from its history, and runs it into the ground; spitefully start your own gaming blog and Twitter feed. Over the course of several years, build both up and become very successful. Network within the community, befriending other creators, doing guest appearances on podcasts and writing occasional pieces for other blogs. Maybe even do a little freelance work. Once you’re done with that, go to GenCon. It will be awesome.

*backs away slowly and closes the door*

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
For Demos i generally will do a demo if

1) The table is deserted or if nobody is interested in playing it,
2) If i have a genuine interest in the game and want to see how the mechanics play out
3) If I want to try the game before I buy it

#2 happens the most, with #3 being a close second. #1 rarely happens unless its a kid game or something like that.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Agrias120 posted:

I'm going with a larger group than usual this year, and we've blocked out our schedule of events we want to do. We're all friends on the Gen Con site. Is the best way to wishlist the events for myself + all my friends, then when registration opens hope to make it through the floodgates and claim the tickets to the events? I seem to remember some problem last year with an event on both my friend and I's wishlist selling out, and then I couldn't buy a replacement event for him in the same timeslot because the expired event was still in his wishlist at that timeslot. I might be misremembering, though. Any tips are appreciated!

Best bet would be to have one person add you all as "Friends" on the gencon webiste. Then have that one person sign up for the event and get tickets for everyone, then click the "Dont get tickets unless we can get tickets for everyone".

That way you will be ensured you can all go to the event.

If you want to play a little more loosey goosey than have everyone sign up for the event and mash the "process wishlish" key on the 28th. There is a chance that only 4/5 of you will get tickets.

Or you could have one person get tickets, and the other people get replacement tickets that you refund if you get into the main event.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

nesbit37 posted:

Its worth doing at least once. Think of it as a haunted house only where you play quasi D&D inside. A lot of how good it is depends on the group you run with so if you can plan ahead and either go with friends or people that have run several times before.

Bunch of goons in the groupme are organizing to do a run twice. From what i have heard its like an escape room, only good if you do it with goons and you can ignore the price.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone have any events they highly recommend you try and get into this year? My overall list is pretty light other than the 50th anniversary special stuff. I think I may actually take Gen Con kind of easy this year, do my talk, get in a little D&D and a round of True Dungeon and then just chill for once.

Its my second year so Im looking at all the nifty new things coming out of gencon, I expect to be dissapointed but...

Hero Realms is doing some kind of coop campaign?
Legend of the five rings is launching at gencon

Infinity (miniature game) is releasing their new boardgame at gencon.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

LLSix posted:

Sounds good to me. I read somewhere that vendors will run free demo games too so we're thinking about not signing up for many board game events. True or False?

Make sure to use groupme.com to chat with goons and organize board games.

Also come out to Shot Wednsday

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Anyone else getting into the L5R inaugural tournament?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tsilkani posted:

What are other good places to eat at in Indianapolis?

Haveli is the best indian place ive eaten at in indianapolis (And the only one so....)

Check the first page of Gencon

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

A reminder that SHOT SATURDAY is now a thing... Shot saturday will be the true dungeon we all wanted.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lump Shaker posted:

Yes, I lucked out and got a ticket. Also got into the Star Wars Destiny championships so I'm pretty pleased. Other than that, doing Two Rooms and a Boom, Wits & Wagers Gameshow and the BGG Hot Games Room.

Haha! Want to teach me how to play? You in the groupme chat? It seems pretty interesting but im kind of nervous around tournaments (And Salty Mike may reveal himself in a tournament).

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

saint gerald posted:

Gencon goons are a notoriously antisocial bunch and attempts to organize get-togethers have typically ended in awkwardness and early, excuse-making exits. For further proof of this you should go to our groupme and ask about Shot Wednesday, Fiasco, Camelot, or shamefur disprays.

SHOT SATURDAY is also going to be a thing. The True Dungeon is at the end of this bottle of lagavulin!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fellis posted:

Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Last year Goonmeets happened every night at High Velocity, the hotel bar/resturant in the JW Mariott, where we took over a side area of the bar to play games and drink.

There were a couple other impromptu gatherings, if you aren't in groupme you will miss out on 95% of goon things really

E: High Velocity was mostly light boardgames, but you could also get one-shot/drinking friendly RPGs like Fiasco going

Yeah, seriously just get in groupme and then ask "Any goons want to meet up" during gencon and get fifty replies. High Velocity was great to meet up at.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WerrWaaa posted:

Any word on best swag to pick up this year?

Goon hugs are in hot demand

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dr. Quarex posted:

The other big exception being if you are in the Auction/Auction Store, as they specialize heavily in "crazy good deals" in huge numbers and, well, sort of "exclusive to Gen-Con" in the sense that your local game store is not going to have, say, a shrinkwrapped copy of a rare game from 1976.

But yes, my purchases in the Exhibition Hall itself have almost entirely switched from games to another category of thing you might want to get there: fabulous clothing and accessories!!! I think a good 25% of my shirts are from Gen-Con, and I would like to bring my sock tally up around that percentage as well. It would be easier if the average nerdy shirt were not per this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w700Q_5-y0

Edit: Oh and beyond fabulous clothing and accessories another category of things you can clearly buy at Gen-Con and not feel bad for stealing money from your local economy is incredibly stupidly expensive furniture

Buy whatever you want at gencon. I come from canada so furniture is out of the question. If you see a fancy game you might want, note it down and go back on Sunday and see if its there.

I'd say you might be missing out on things if you go to gencon to just buy things. Go out to events or meetup with goons.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

pubic works project posted:

I just got two free 4-day passes through work. I've only been once before and I'm not a huge gamer. Is there anything that I absolutely have to check out?

First off, come out to SHOT WEDNSDAY with the goons
Check out the vendor hall and go to Games on Demand? (You show up and they make you do an RPG, someone else can explain this)
Join Group me and meet up with goons.

Do you have a favourite board game or Miniature game or RPG? GO to http://gencon.eventdb.us/index.php and search for that game, join a session of it!

What do you want to do at gencon is the big question? Do you want to see new things and play new things? Do you want to play big mega games that would be hard to organize before hand? Do you want to talk about RPGS and games?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

WerrWaaa posted:

I've got an L5R clan dinner Thursday night but I'm not committed otherwise, and would love to hang out.

How do you carry poo poo around? I'm gonna have (and build) some card decks, and assumed I would bring an ultrapro case for those. But I'm also going to buy a bunch of New5R and RPG books, so I need a shopping bag, BUT ALSO water and snacks and poo poo, so I was thinking backpack. All three would be all together too much, so what's the best solution?

I use a messenger bag, it didn't seem to get in the way of anybody and was light enough to not cause much strain.

Edit: Email is GenCon Reminding everyone of their house cancellation policy

Exmond fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 19, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Moriatti posted:

Hey, is this a contract people dress up for?

Holy cow you dress up for contracts? What area is your profession in?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

mkultra419 posted:

Anyone have parking tips? Got stuck at an outer ring hotel this year for the first time and the whole Con selling out thing is making me nervous. And I just saw that the Gate 10 deal is also sold out. We should only be driving there and back once a day, so not worried about super accessibility.

http://www.wikihow.com/Parallel-Park

This helped me figure out how to parallel park

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Haystack posted:

Alright, so at least according to the groupme, nothing has been settled about a Wednesday meetup. If so, I'm going to suggest the Rathskeller

Pros:
  • It's got a bar, a beergarden, and a restaurant
  • The food is pretty good
  • The building is rad as gently caress
  • It shouldn't be too crowed
Cons:
  • It's like a mile walk from the convention center

What'dya all think?

Im down for Rathskeller but don't rely on the not crowded part

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

there was a ticketed event for World In Flames: Operation Barbarossa. That would fill you in for wargames

Edit: LL6 you need to get into the groupme. You send a message and goons will tell you where to meet up and you play games and then they call you retarded. Can't be more welcoming than that!

Exmond fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I sadly won't be making it this year. Please continue the goon trend of SHOT WEDNESDAY without me!

• Locked thread