Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Bacon, Legs, and Turntables is no more fyi. I will be trying to find another Gen Con Goon restaurant that we can group up at and dodge some of the crowds. The Tap, while being a disaster last year, seems to have figured out how to deal with gently caress load of people in the times I have visited since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

I will be at Loughmiller's for lunch on Wednesday, as is my wont. I will spend my time sending pictures of the beers I'm drinking to friends who aren't coming or are still traveling.

And I will be right there with you!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Basically Yard House is pretty close to the convention center, isn't advertised very well so a lot of people don't go, they have good beer, and their prices aren't terrible for the amount / quality. Seriously I must've walked by that place for years until one of our friends took us there for lunch. Windows are dark, I don't remember if they really had much of a sign, and they're right next to a tunnel if I remember correctly.

Also, you just gotta believe on TD. Or get really good at finagling magnets. Since they switched to the magnetized plunger method I've seen a number of people get 2-4 tokens instead of 1 with a single pull. That being said, they're trying to reduce the amount of pulls everyone gets, as the last few years people have been really abusing the token++ items (myself included).

These are the types of places I want to check out and chat with the staff at. Gen Con has grown enough (and thanks to various apps) that the first zone of places are starting to get cramped more often. Thankfully if you just walk a couple of blocks most of the crowd will stay away.

Also I will post it here now and mention it a few more times as we get closer. But several of you guys got to try 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust for the first time last year. Would there be interest in me doing a run up to their brewery to grab cases for cost + some money for gas (6 hours of driving total). Atm it's $40 for a case of what I believe is 24 bottles.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
While you should only technically have 4 people in a 2 bed room, the hotels know that people pack in and generally don't care. As long as you don't do stupid poo poo and cause them problems they will just let it go.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
The biggest problem is too many people, not enough rooms. The city is working on fixing that, but it takes several years of high day-to-day hotel occupancy before they will build more. They have had that even after the dumbass governor decided to push through the whole RFRA bullshit. So right now they are finding spots, getting permits, etc and in 1.5-2 years there should be at least 1 more good sized hotel downtown. Won't fix everything, but should help a little.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
There have been a few times over the years where ICC restrooms were necessary. The best I have found is try to get to ones that re as far away as possible from the Dealer Hall. They are still not the best, but FAR, FAR, FAR, ahead of some of the ones you can smell from outside.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Well if you do get into town that early let me know. I'll take you to check out some places outside the normal area.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Jedi425 posted:

Go play weird stuff that isn't traditional pen and paper. Play NSDM, it's a blast whether you're the USA and Castro just died, or you're the DPRK and Kim Jong Il just ate a SAM on his way to a summit thanks to an ambitious underling. Check out the board game library and auctions. If you can get a full group together, True Dungeon is a blast, but it's gotten a bit nuts over the years in terms of people buying treasure tokens, so who knows how a pick-up group would be. I wish I had the time and cash to go this year.

NSDM is pretty awful imho. We had a poo poo load of goons in one a couple of years ago and had people walking out halfway through. The moderators where unhelpful at best, assholes at worst which added to the poo poo experience.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dr. Quarex posted:

:smith:

Unrelated I suddenly remembered that I used to follow the Indianapolis Goon Meets thread, and I see its last post was years ago. I have decided that the Gen-Con posts obviously killed that thread. I apologize.

Oh and I thought there was still no way to actually search for the 50th anniversary celebration events until I had the brilliant plan to find one and click on "company" so here is a default search for that if for some reason anyone else but me cares

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032599&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's no for Indiana and Michigan, but it works.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I still stand by when TD was $25-$30 it was worth doing. But at this point it's just a silly amount of money.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Deathlove posted:

Shipped. Those Will Call lines for the first forty-eight hours are death.

They used to be terrible but over the last several years they have made it much more bearable. Last year I waited in line with 2 separate Goons and even though the line ran from the booths to the JW, it still only took like 30 min.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
My favorite bathroom tip is to go to the various hotels. Their staff keeps them much cleaner and they don't get nearly as much traffic.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love fun :)

This is also why the average Goon cannot stand being around me for more than 2 minutes.

Well, that and the spinning blades.

The only reason I can stand being around you at all is because I own a t-shirt with your name on it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
As one of the designated Indiana people, please be more specific and I will be able to give you a better idea of the best way.

As for Will Call lines, they are a breeze these days thanks to them being open 24 hour starting on Wednesday.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Moriatti posted:

Looking like Pickwick Farms.
Also that's good, I'll be visiting someone up there, so I'll be there Monday.

The fastest way will probably be 465 West to 65 South. This will dump you off near Lucas Oil for easy, relatively inexpensive parking.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Funzo posted:

Got my event tickets in the mail today. Have to pick up the badge on site though. Is GM will-call different from the standard one, or is it all the same line?

GM is different. It's in a room all by it's lonesome.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

The Moon Monster posted:

I decided I should probably attend at least one Gencon since I'm local and a massive nerd. I bought my ticket awhile ago and was hoping more event slots would open up either from people dropping out or exhibitors opening more slots, but that hasn't really been happening. How much walk-in sort of stuff is there to do that isn't just buying things?

If anyone has some time to kill in Indy pre/post-con I saw a billboard today and apparently the art museum has mini golf now. Eat your heart out Paris.

If you walk up to an event with generic tickets odds are good you can get in if it's not one of the super in demand events. Just get there 15-20 minutes early and let it be known that you have generics.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
TD when it was like $20 for a ticket always seemed interesting, but now that it has gotten so freaking expensive for such a small amount of time I just don't think it's worth it.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Skypie posted:

I'm extremely selfish and hope Gen Con stays in Indy after the current contract. It's really great, it's about the only big, expensive thing my fiancee and I do every year plus several friends attend. But the only reason we can do that is because we all live in Indy. If it moved, I doubt most of my friends would continue going just because paying for a hotel would suck for them.

Sweet, more Indy Goons!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
They always have the lanyard at the ticket area, you can just grab one

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Texibus posted:

So no lanyard came with my badge this year... what the fuzz.

I think they just leave them at the ticket widows instead of paying to ship them.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
All right guys, tomorrow I will stopping at 3 Floyd's brewery and getting booze. If anyone is interested in me grabbing something post here or post on GroupMe and tag me. The available choice are listed here https://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/ . Sadly it doesn't look like they have any Zombie Dust at this time.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

It's not the rarest Pokemon on tap anymore at least.

This is true. You no longer have to bribe the employees at a liquor store to get when they will get some next. Thankfully it's not my favorite beer, but I have some friends who go a little crazy when they get some. One in particular had 7 cases of it at one point.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

LLSix posted:

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

Did you follow the GroupMe? We pretty much had tables in one of the ballrooms every night playing games, drinking, and chatting.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

Played a beginner game of Terraforming Mars with 5 players. 2 players had great draws and got a good engine going and really liked the game, 1 person hated the game and dropped on the 4th round, and the other two of us drew poo poo and did nothing. That's Terraforming Mars. By the 6th round, all other players had gotten cheap city tile cards and started building out their board presence whereas I drew nothing but expensive or useless crap, putting me in a huge disadvantage purely by RNG. In fairness, the beginner version of the game is a horrible introduction to the game and the starting corporation identities and drafting variants add a lot of player agency and take away a lot of the giant deck of random cards determining if you get to do anything or not problem.

Yeah your draws were pretty poo poo. I do think doing a couple of turns like we did so people can get a feel for the flow of the game helps with getting how it all works. I would have really liked to have gotten a chance to play it with the various corporations and drafting. That said the game is 100% on my christmas list now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

My wife just informed me she will not be going. This means I can revert to games all night depravity!

WOOOOOO!!!!

• Locked thread