Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gen Con!!!

I was spoiled by the housing lottery last year, so I'm looking forward to being slapped across the face with the typical experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LuiCypher posted:

Speaking of GroupMe and plans, since LotR Trivia is NO MORE at the Colts Grille on Wednesday, where will enterprising goons decide to meet on Wednesday night?

That had to be the biggest disappointment last year. We had a freakin' sign and everything!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Anyone looking to form housing pools, or is this something that should be done through groupme?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got my housing email. I'll be allowed to access...five hours after selection begins :suicide:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Welp, my hotel is a minimum 16 min drive from the Convention Center. At least I have a car to drive to and from.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ilor posted:

Event submissions (i.e. GMs saying which events they want to run) are usually due by the end of March or so, then they take a couple of months to draw up the schedule before opening up event registration in May.

Where do I submit events?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks. I submitted two events for late night PRGs.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

It's my oft-talked about Paranoia conversion of Tomb of Horrors.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Here are my two events

https://www.gencon.com/events/110907

https://www.gencon.com/events/110911

My plan was to run the public games Thursday and Friday evening, then do a private goon game Saturday.

I also brought up the possibility of doing a side-by-side private session with NoM, so stayed tuned if something changes

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What are the pros and cons of being part of a GM network (such as MAMS Gaming as a random example)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Going to be making my other annual excursion to Indianapolis (Indy 500). My brother and I are going to be camping out at one of the ancillary race tracks the night before the race, and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried camping for GenCon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

There are some great stories in 40 Years of Gen Con about people camping out in their vans in nearby lots and washing up in public bathrooms and stuff, but those stories are also all from the earlier Milwaukee days. I have not really heard of anyone trying for the camping lifestyle for Gen-Con these days, though I do still keep meaning to try to watch this sometime, as it does seemingly cover the subject quite well.

Unless you mean like camping legally in a camper, in which case...what sort of mad wizard are you?

I mean tent camping. That documentary looks interesting too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Does event registration always happen on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend?

EDIT: At least my two games got filled up.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 30, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I want to say this is a first, but I also have never done it before. Certainly seems like a time engineered to be hardest for people to manage.

Well, my sign-ups this year was probably hosed because I was at the Indy 500.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:

What advice do you have for Pricing?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are there good articles on running games? I've done a pretty decent job preparing, but with GenCon around the corner I realized one thing I haven't taken into account is "how do deal with a stranger that's ruining my groove?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got all my stuff, I am all ready for Wednesday.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Haystack posted:

Alright, so at least according to the groupme, nothing has been settled about a Wednesday meetup. If so, I'm going to suggest the Rathskeller

Pros:
  • It's got a bar, a beergarden, and a restaurant
  • The food is pretty good
  • The building is rad as gently caress
  • It shouldn't be too crowed
Cons:
  • It's like a mile walk from the convention center

What'dya all think?

Looks like a cool place.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My schedule is pretty front loaded.

I even have some overlapping stuff, which I thought GenCon wouldn't let you sign up for.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'll be bringing Vast: The Crystal Cavern.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Great GenCon, everyone. I can't wait to do it again.

On getting home I got probably the best news I've had in a long time, an offer for a second interview. Everyone wish me luck-if it works, I'll be the one buying shots next year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This was my second full GenCon. Two things I'd do different next time is space out my events better, and actually make sure I know what my events are before committing to them (where's my breakfast Hickman? :( )

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As some of you know, I ran two instances of a Paranoia game that was a recreation of the Tomb of Horrors module. This is my After Action Report:

The first game had a full showing, and managed to get through the entire 'dungeon', but there were definitely areas I could have improved on. Part of it was I was still rattled from losing my entire dice bag, but the biggest thing was that keeping all my notes and handouts organized turned out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. When I did my second adventure I was a lot better in this area. My other self-criticism of the first game is that while it didn't take long for the players to galvanize into warring factions, they pretty much stuck to this initial alliance, which was disappointing.

For the second game, I made some modifications to what handouts were handed out, and it produced the effect I wanted. While it took longer for troubleshooter-on-troubleshooter violence to get started, when it did it felt much more earned and chaotic. However, despite having a smaller group, the second game only got half-way through the dungeon by the time we hit the four-hour mark. So no one was sad when I just said "okay, Sealab-I mean Alpha Complex just blows up" so we could all hang out with goons pretending to be the Trump Administration get some sleep.

In both games, I accidentally handed a player the wrong hand out, and in both cases I decided to roll with it. The first game had the more hilarious consequence, with the Troubleshooter murdering the NPC he was supposed to protect.

Ultimately, Paranoia and Tomb of Horrors (or any classic module, really) go together like...well, like bourbon and pop-rocks. It's a fuckin' trip to consume it, but it's going to wreck your body and leave you exhausted. The problem is trying to manage all the various traps and note passing at the same time. If I had a vice-GM that was doing all the secret poo poo, or if I was doing this over pbp, it would probably work a lot better.

In fact, I think I'm going to recruit for a game right now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Badge Get

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

8one6 posted:

Badges: Acquired!
Rooms: Acquired!
Days until Gen Con: 198

So what's the disadvantage of skipping the lottery system to get a hotel room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got badge, looking to see if anybody's looking to take a room crasher (paying my share as usual, of course). Worried to risk the room lottery and get stuck with something on my own, not quite sure how that works. :raise:

Have various people who can vouch for me not being weird(er than usual for GenCon) if necessary.

I think you are free to cancel. Like one of the strategies is for a bunch of people to agree to share a room before the lottery, and whoever has the best reservation gets a room for everyone.

• Locked thread