Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Exmond posted:

Last year there was an indian curry place that had a buffet, was cheap, had tons of room and was delicious. Anyone got the name?
Haveli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Event submissions (i.e. GMs saying which events they want to run) are usually due by the end of March or so, then they take a couple of months to draw up the schedule before opening up event registration in May.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Uh, didn't someone already do that? Isn't that what Tremulus is supposed to be?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be (overly) snarky. Tremulus may not be exactly what you want, but it might be close enough to be easily turned into a hack++.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
More importantly, which one of you made the last line a necessity?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I would have jumped into a CoC (or SP2, for that matter) game in a heartbeat, and was disappointed that there were none on offer.

EDIT: Oh, wait, you meant Call of Cthulhu, not Chain of Command. Still, I'd do both. ;)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, if you go full-Soylent, you will miss out on the joy of Haveli, which will make you a sad goon.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
For me it's cosplay in the Dealer Hall. Like, I get that you spent a ton of time and effort on your costume and sure, it looks really bad-rear end. But can we perhaps agree that 6-foot-wide demon wings are a tad disruptive to throngs of people trying to negotiate narrow, crowded aisles? Not to mention the fact that you're stopping traffic every 30 seconds as you pose while some jerkwad snaps pics of you on his cellphone.

Cosplay absolutely has a place at GenCon. That place is not in the Dealer Hall.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ego Trip posted:

Better yet, don't!.

Just pretend that aside from Goons and awesome industry people, everyone at Gencon is some sort of bridge troll or stank fairy.
There's no need to pretend, citizen.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I too am becoming stoked.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, Doc, don't do it. THAT WAY LIES MADNESS!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Paging Dr. Quarex (or anyone else who knows WTF about running seminars at GenCon):

What's the skinny on getting projectors or screens (or gently caress, even whiteboards) in one of the seminar rooms? Is that something that a) is available, b) costs extra (I'd imagine, and if so, through whom do we arrange it?), or c) gently caress you, bring your own?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lump Shaker posted:

is there a better option for finding pickup games with strangers?
Yeah, GroupMe

EDIT: But it's cool, because those strangers will be Goons.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there good articles on running games? I've done a pretty decent job preparing, but with GenCon around the corner I realized one thing I haven't taken into account is "how do deal with a stranger that's ruining my groove?"
I vastly prefer the stealthy OOC solution: call for a Perception roll (or equivalent). Chuckle evilly at the results (whatever they are) and pull the problem player aside to "impart secret information." Once out of earshot of the other players, say, "OK, your character notices X important fact/clue/whatever. Also, dude, quit bein' a dick. Other people are trying to have fun here too, so please be respectful of that."

Most people will tone it down if explicitly called out. But if you have a determined cockbag, don't hesitate to jettison him or her. Your time is valuable too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BlackIronHeart posted:

But also, yeah, c'mon, try a food truck or three (or eighteen, like Ilor's kickin' rad wife) and get some grub at High Velocity with goons.
Jesus, yeah, she made it her mission last year. But none of us complained when fantastic cupcakes from that one truck just magically appeared in our hotel room one evening.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I blew pretty much my entire wad in the first 15 minutes in the exhibit hall. Between the WarStore and Corvus Belli, it was like there was a vacuum-cleaner hooked directly into my pocket. But I got everything on my list (and a few extras!) and had a rad-as-gently caress time doing it. And I got Haveli Friday evening (mmmm, chicken patia, soooo gooood!), so I consider this year's GenCon experience a success! My only regret is that I ended up being pretty much wall-to-wall busy with running games, playing games, and catching up with old friends that I didn't make any new GoonFriends. :smith:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wads of money are indeed the main factor. Mudcrab Merchant can probably give more specific info, but talking to friends who are exhibitors, the ICC charges you for pretty much everything but the air you breathe (and if they could figure that out, they would). Booths are costed on a per-square-foot basis. Want carpet in your booth? Pay extra. Want actual padding under that carpet? Pay extra.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moriatti posted:

After being in a couple of adventures, I kind of want to run one or two next time I go to a Con. How do you go about doing that?
They'll announce open event submission after con registration goes live. If you want to run events, you'll submit them through the system starting in March, I think. The cutoff is early May, after which they'll hammer all of that crap into a schedule and event registration goes live (so people can sign up for your events). It's kind of a crap-shoot in that you can request certain day/time slots, but I don't think they're under any obligation to honor them. When I ran events two years ago, I got more or less what I requested (two on Friday, one on Saturday I think). All of my events got put in the JW, which was fine by me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Junkie Disease posted:

Best new games you played at Gencon this year. GO!
Blood and Plunder

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oooh, we're coming to PAX: Unplugged! Here's hoping it's kosher to use the GenCon groupme to find and hang with other goons while we're there.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dorstein posted:

Any pro-tips for bringing an infant to GenCon?
Two spring immediately to mind - first, get a hotel that's attached to the Convention Center. You're not going to want to carry all the necessary crap with you, and you're going to want a place to stage your poo poo/crash when it's nap time. Having to walk long distances or (gods forbid) uber to your hotel is going to make you hate life. Second, the Baby-Bjorn (or other, similar chest-carrier) is a life-saver. Strollers are a colossal pain in the rear end (both for you and everyone around you), especially in the dealer hall. You might be tempted, but don't do it. Just...don't. On the plus side, walking around with an adorable infant strapped to your chest means that booth babes ogle you, which is kind of a refreshing switch.

In terms of events, sign up for stuff that's short-duration or easy to drop in/out. So no 12-hour WarmaHordes tourneys, or whatever. The demo and beta-test areas are always a good bet, as is the open-play boardgame library. Be aware that awake babies are super disruptive to gaming because they require constant attention (and think meeples are delicious), so alternate time slots with your partner. Finally, don't try to do too much, you'll just get frustrated.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The JW Mariott, which is different from the Mariott. Also, the Westin. The Westin would be ideal, because it's centrally located (its skyway access dumps you into the ICC right next to Will Call).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Badges: acquired!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Badge Registration Day +3 and still no new thread?

You disappoint me, Quarex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Deviant posted:

He said it's coming soon, had a personal thing. You'd know that if you were

IN GROUPME.
Bah. I mute you fuckers in the off-season.

• Locked thread