Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm extremely selfish and hope Gen Con stays in Indy after the current contract. It's really great, it's about the only big, expensive thing my fiancee and I do every year plus several friends attend. But the only reason we can do that is because we all live in Indy. If it moved, I doubt most of my friends would continue going just because paying for a hotel would suck for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Backno posted:

Sweet, more Indy Goons!

:hfive: I should probably do more with goons who go, but honestly I end up just loving off in the exhibition hall for 2 or 3 days

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well plenty of non-Indianapolis people undoubtedly also hope it stays there. Having been to conventions all over the country, including Gen-Con in Milwaukee, I have not seen anything else to compare to the Turning-Into-A-Literal-Nerd-Kingdom nature that Indianapolis creates while we are all in town.

Though, needless to say, it should also simultaneously be moved to (within 10 minutes' drive of the house of the person making the argument).

Personally I love the "ROAD TRIIIIIIIP" aspect of attendance so much that I am not sure if I could handle it being in my hometown; I would not be able to literally forget my other life existed if I actually went back to my own home at the end of every day.

To be honest, we would probably still go if it remained in the Midwest. I just don't think my friends would bother. But, you are right. It's amazing to be downtown and just see it flooded with nerd themed stuff. All the restaurants seem to really go whole hog on buying into the weekend, you know? They run specials with game references. The food trucks get lines that stretch all the way down Georgia Street.

Honestly the atmosphere is really cool, and I've know people who say they won't go because there's too many people but I've never had trouble with anyone in my brief years of attending and everyone has been, for the most part, polite. I don't tend to sign up for random tabletop games though and that seems to be where most of the assholes are if listening to people talk is any indication.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Hey man at least you didn't go to the Tilted Kilt. :v:

Also, it's kinda on the other side of downtown, but if Claddagh wasn't offering you Irish enough food, keep out of Nine Irish Brothers on Mass Ave. I went there a couple years ago for a buddy's birthday and ordered shepherds pie.

It was fuckin sloppy joe beef with mashed potatoes on the side. What the gently caress!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
If the mob keeps me from getting games I want...:argh:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Millions posted:

Hey fellow Gen-Conners! I work at Sun King Brewery, who makes the Gen-Con beer every year. Checking in to see if anybody travelling from the coasts would be interested in doing a beer swap. PM me if so, otherwise I'll see you all on the floor!

Have you sampled this year's beer? I'm pretty fond of most of Sun King's standard line-up, but I missed the 20 Sided Rye last year and am jazzed to pick up a bunch of this year's style.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Please don't encourage them to make anything with grapefruit

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I usually just park at the mall and hoof it over. But I'm an Indy native, and I'm used to the panhandlers

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lawen posted:

I tried Rathskeller a year or two ago. Thought the food was pretty meh but the beergarden was dope and it'd be a good meetup spot, weather permitting

Any Indy locals have suggestions for places to eat for people who are pretentious assholes about food? Milktooth and Bluebeard look like your most recent nominees for James Beard awards...good?

It's probably an Uber ride away due to distance but you might check out St Josephs Brewery on College Ave? They're kind of a gastropub. I've been three times in the last couple years, but they've had consistently wonderful food and beer.

I've not been to Milktooth or Bluebeard, but I've heard great things about the latter. The one time I tried to go they were closed so welp. If you dig Greek food, there's a place called Santorini's (I think) in Fountain Square that is pretty good too. Last time I was there, I got a gyro that was bigger than the drat dinner plate.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
If you're not afraid of a bit of a walk, it's unlikely that either the zoo or Circle Center mall parking will fill up also.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to test out Orcs Must Die!? I saw it like half an hour before the hall closed on Friday and the guys were busy with demos, but I never made it back on Saturday. I'm a sucker for the video game and was wondering how it'd actually play out.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that was me. I didn't play it or anything, I mostly just struggled to envision a possible scenario where I'd want to play a board game over, you know, just playing OMD co-op. Doesn't the new version have up to 4-player co-op? Something like that? I should try it some more.

OMD2 has 2 player co-op, and I think Unchained plays up to 4? I was in the same boat: wasn't sure how they managed to convert it to a board game, but I do have friends that don't play video games who might be interested in a tower defense sorta thing (they like Castle Panic).

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The demo I ran was pretty poorly handled but I got to play a good couple rounds of it and experience a good chunk of how it works.

You build a map from a big book of maps that includes like 4 or 5 difficulty levels. These maps are made up of tiles for rooms, with arrows on them that show you the flow of the bads. Some of the rooms have special abilities (like one let you put down an extra trap, one let you put a trap down for free, one lets you spend an action to injure a monster. You start the game by building an army deck that you flip every round to put more minions into play. You have a pool of items and traps you can buy with Skulls that you get from killing monsters. At first its pretty easy, you can kill most enemies yourself but after 3 rounds, the game "levels up", more expensive equipment and traps start coming into the pool, larger armies and often multiple fronts begin opening up with their own Monster Decks.

Damage is done by trying to match certain symbols to certain monsters - Kobolds need a Speed symbol to hit, Orcs a Sword, Mages a Brain, etc. Some traps are better at this than others. All the characters are weak against one or two of these elements and can only be hurt by them. There's some other stuff about special powers, leveling up the thing you're protecting, etc. It seems like it'll work really well solo if that's your bag.

Mechanically, it feels pretty solid, the opening couple of rounds are a slow ramp up which lulls you into a false sense of security as the early rounds tick on, only to kick you with a ramp up as soon as the next level comes. Its easy to get overwhelmed and each player has a kind of complimentary power that supports the team in some way.

Right now it feels a little low quality, components-wise. The character tile things are pretty low budget. The minis were pretty good though, at least the player ones. It sounds like they're releasing two editions, one with Bad Guys and one with Good Guys as the protagonists and you need both if you want to do PVP? I thought that was pretty weird but our demo person was kinda lovely at explaining it.

*shakes fist* nooooormiiiieeeessss

Ah cool, thanks! I will probably keep an eye on it and maybe toss it on a Christmas list or something.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I actually cut a lot of events/seminars this year. Last year, we were running around like crazy and I never got to catch up with my friends. This year, we had three events; we missed one because my fiancee ended up having to work on Thursday. Otherwise we got downtown early afternoon and spent probably 12 hours across three days in the hall and STILL didn't get to check out some of what we wanted.

Then there's my lunatic friends who sign up for Munchkin tourneys every year and every year complain about people bending rules or using "special" items and :suicide:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

hey I've managed to get them playing games that are not Munchkin at game night now so that's a success. How they wanna spend their time at a con is their biz.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Your friends would have loved the Munchkin shirt that was auctioned off for like $30 that let you like draw an extra card and ignore two negative effects (because it was autographed by both Steve Jackson and John... Kovalik?). The world of Munchkin is truly not one for the faint of heart

Hilariously, one of them was bitching about a t-shirt that allowed the player to, if they were to remove the shirt and immediately put on another one, got to add +10 and draw another card. And the shirt beneath allowed something similar so this guy basically waited til the end of the game and pulled off one shirt, pulled off another and put on two more plain t-shirts and then made it impossible for anyone to stop him from winning.

And that's why I don't play Munchkin, let alone "competitive" Munchkin.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Atomicated posted:

I can't believe those munchkin tournament shirts are actually legal. When it came up at the auction I thought it had to be a joke nobody took seriously.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping making my first Gencon a blast. I had a real fear going in that I'd be too antisocial to let myself have a good time but everyone was great about roping me into conversations and games. My biggest regret is leaving too early basically every day of the con. Even the night I stayed until 1:30 I wish I had stayed another couple hours.

My regret was a little reverse in that we got down too late most days haha. I work nights, and adjusting sleep schedules is a bitch so I opted to keep my normal routine. Unfortunately that meant not getting downtown til 1 or 2

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Vehementi posted:

I was at a hotel near the airport. $10-$12 uber each way. I split the room with a friend. We saved significantly more than $24/night by being that far out. The only downside was that if we bought a lot of games at the start of a day, we had to lug them around. Aside from that, there's not really any need to be in a hotel within walking distance. I definitely would not consider driving & parking & walking from the parking lot every day though.

I parked at the zoo two of my three days because it's 7 bux. It's about a 15 minute walk, which isn't too bad. But I also live in Indy so there's no reason for me to pay $2000 for a hotel

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

We have never gotten a hotel for Gen Con. Last year, we said we were gonna for this year because we were anticipating the fiancee being pregnant, but that didn't happen. What I do is just take off work for Thurs/Fri, and then we spend basically the whole day downtown. You're right that it doesn't feel exactly like a vacation when you go back home at the end of the day, but given that Circle Center is usually pretty easy to park in* or that the zoo is seven bucks, it's kinda hard to justify dropping that much cash on a hotel. Apartment to parking lot is like 20 minutes for us.

I'd love to get one sometime and just stay within walking distance for the weekend, but it's kind of a hassle with the lottery and all now.

* Circle Center was actually full on Thursday and Friday, which boggled my mind.

One year, I'll actually do some stuff with other goons. But I spent basically my entire time at the convention in the exhibit hall and still only got to see maaaaaaybe 50% of what I wanted. We did go to the burlesque show Saturday night, though, which was a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I hear you though, some people do not understand how the Exhibit Hall can take up hours of every day (or, you know, an entire day if you are only there for one day) but to me it is obvious: YOU CAN ONLY BE IN THE WORLD'S NERDIEST MALL ONCE A YEAR

Next year I'm gonna have to suck it up. I work nights so I wasn't getting up and making it downtown til 1 or 2, which was only 4 hours in the hall really. I'll have to just mainline some coffee and get up around 10am instead of trying to keep my normal sleep schedule. That way I can be sleep deprived like everyone else! :v:

• Locked thread