Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Out of my group I got the earliest at 4:08. Hopefully they ration the rooms but I feel like that's not going to be the case considering past Gencons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My group is stuck with a reservation out by the airport right now. This just seems more arbitrary and lovely than the previous systems.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There aren't and haven't been for 1-4 since I got let in, 4:08.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Double Agent posted:

That's not really the impression that I got as their reasoning for this. It seemed more like a way to reduce server load so the whole page didn't die because thousands of people were checking to see where in the queue they were at the same time.

This is definitely a way for them to reduce server loads instead of investing in better servers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

Why invest in better servers (which are probably just co-located, anyway) when there's one day a year where there's any appreciable load? (I guess two; event reg day also drives a lot of traffic.)

I'm not saying they should, just adding to the sentiment that this is less about them finding a better system to give people equal access to rooms and more a system to lessen traffic on their end.

It's an arbitrary and lovely system and instead of being hosed over by my ping I'm being hosed over by RNG. If you didn't get access within the first 2 and half hours, you're going to be pushing F5 until August or hope they open up more blocks after the VIGs throw down the scraps from their ivory tower.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

And the alternative would be... what now?

It's a lovely situation and difficult to deal with, don't get me wrong, but I just feel like they could have come up with a better system. It's not like they don't have the time or the money to do this. I could understand if it was a small convention that's only been around for a couple years but we're on year 50 of a convention that brings in tens of thousands of people every year.

I honestly should just be happy I can go this year, I had to jump through a lot of hoops to pull it off. Having to wait and plan out my day to get hosed over by hotel rooms again just makes me salty about the whole thing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

It should have already happened. Let me check the emails.

Edit: from the email
"Registration will remain open for returning VIGs until February 5 at 11:59 am (Eastern). You will need to purchase your VIG package by that date. VIGs must reserve all of their preferred VIG housing by February 12, 2017. After that date, you can reserve housing, but it will be offered from the regular attendee housing block, while supplies last."

This is confusing because don't they usually free up the unused VIG rooms a month or two before the convention? Is this how it's always worded in the faq or did they change the policy?

EDIT: Looking at the language of 2016's VIG faq, it seems like all the VIG reserved rooms are now gone.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 13, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Texibus posted:

I think it refers to actually grabbing one, but that doesn't mean they won't cancel in a month and then it frees up on the block.

In previous years, the entire VIG block was held until June or such for VIGs and VIG companions to reserve them. After that, the block was released to general attendees and you could get a downtown room that way. The current VIG faq seems to state that VIG's had until Feb 12th to get their rooms and after that they're all gone.

There's still a possibility of a VIG dropping their reservation but this means there won't be a lot of choice rooms available at a set time. I could be wrong about this and I don't really feel like asking Gencon people until the gnashing of teeth and the rending of veils has subsided.

EDIT:

8one6 posted:

Keep in mind that ALL of the VIG badges were accounted for before the housing opened for us. There was no need to keep the block open after general badge purchasing/housing opened like in years past (when there could be a few remaining VIGs to buy)

Answers that pretty well.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My sense of smell is pretty dulled from living in a country with open sewers everywhere and medieval views on personal hygiene but the worst smell has always been brushing past some fat, unwashed nerd in the dealer hall on day 3. It's the combination of closeness and a smell that only comes from that level of giving up on hygiene that makes it the worst for me.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown (connected to the convention center) had a few rooms open today if anyone else is still looking.

They're gone now, I just looked.

I'm looking forward to the convention and trying to set down the games I'm going to run. I took a break last year but I think it would be good to run again since it's going to be pretty hard to get a game this year, it was last year.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope it's better than White Wolf's New Orleans salon or whatever from some years ago.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Exmond posted:

Hey ill be in Indianapolis on Tuesday, free on Wednsday. Any other goons going to gencon a bit early?

Any touristy thing to do in Indianapolis?

The military museum is entertaining. All the weapons are combat ready too as of last year so it's a good place to go when society falls apart in some cinema apocalypse.

djfooboo posted:

Good luck, I'm sure FFG will have 50 a day as per norm for new hotness.

Did they start capping purchases? I remember VIG's buying giant stacks of Netrunner when it came out.

On L5R, I'd honestly just wait. I plan on buying into it after official release and playing it a good deal but there's no real benefit to getting it at Gencon than waiting. It'll be the same box, probably cheaper elsewhere and you'll probably need to buy more copies. I think you'll be lucky to get one unless you know a VIG who is willing to get in line when the door opens for them.

EDIT:

As has been stated on the boards before, there will probably be a spoiler database before the game officially releases too. No real reason to get it then than waiting since they usually print enough for LCG releases. It's not Star Wars Destiny.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Plus the shrine up top is pretty breathtaking.

It is.

This flag is giant btw.

I've also heard the Indiana State Museum and the Eiteljorg Museum are nice but I've never been.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only weird game I played in at Gencon was a CoC game where we played Nazis going to some island for something. No crazy Wehraboo or racist poo poo like you'd expect but one of the characters got some weird sexual psychosis thing and started screwing a character in the butt. I think the character was an NPC or a dead PC, I kind of blacked out as a defense mechanism, and my character immediately killed the crazy character, who was unplayable for the rest of the game. The GM was kind of a dick about it too, like "Why did you do that?" My character was among the surviving characters, which was a surprise because he was kitted out for tank killing or something like that, more in line with Kursk than an island investigation. He was the only actual German among the group of survivors too because the rest of the survivors were British or American spies.

That's the one bad experience I've had but then again I'm a straight white male so I don't really attract standard gamer shittyness. Back when you could get into games half the time I picked games that seemed fine but that's a thing of the past. You're kind of lucky if you can get into a fifth of the games you want unless they're something obscure.

EDIT:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also...where is the military museum? The only ones clearly labelled that I am finding are not in Indianapolis, or even a suburb.

The address is 431 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46204. It's the Indiana War Memorial so it might not show up in searches for a museum.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 26, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm running a Delta Green game (https://www.gencon.com/events/113955) and a Trail of Cthulhu game (https://www.gencon.com/events/111847).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LuiCypher posted:

I am going to try like hell to get into this. I considered volunteering for Arc Dream, but I wanted to run Kali Ghati at least once personally before volunteering for them (with any luck, I'll be able to run it this weekend).

I wish you luck because I'm sure the reservation system is going to be just as bad as the room reservation system.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

enigmahfc posted:

I know there are game/event tickets and generic tickets, but do you buy the generic tickets before Gencon or at Gencon? This will be my first time there, and I already have my X-Wing stuff sort of mapped out, but I want to some board gaming too.

You can do both. I usually buy about $12 worth before hand, which they send with your regular tickets and lanyard. They can also be turned in for a refund to your Gencon account.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

It's not as bad; the wishlist system is kind of nice, but I don't think they do the random time lottery, so it becomes a race to hit the button. Some events just have tons of demand and/or not enough supply, like Novus Ordo Seclorum/You Too Can Cthulhu games.

That's good and I'm glad Chaosium is now at least trying.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If there's a game you really want to play in but couldn't register online for it, go to the game before it starts and if there is a no show, you can jump in with generics.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

When do you drink?

I would imagine every section in green.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I should have wishlisted the L5R tournament for the chance to trade it for a downtown hotel room. I wonder if the demand for the game is going to be greater than what the demand for Netrunner was.

For a brief moment today, the Hyatt Regency popped up today but it was gone the second I selected it.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 31, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

I've got a King room at the Hyatt, looking for a Double/Double. (Preferably, more than one, but I'll take one for now.) If a King is good enough for you, I'll keep you in mind if/when I'm ever able to upgrade.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Someone compiled the list of the most underserved games at Gencon this year. I'm surprised that CoC still tops the list, given that a ton of additional games got added this year.

Starfinder and Mutant Crawl Classics aren't even out yet. Shouldn't they at least wait until they're on the shelf before putting them on that list?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Another downtown hotel popped up and sold out as I was taken to the buying screen. :suicide:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

If any of you are interested in Gen Con/Gaming history you could totally do a related goon meet at my panel. I know it's sold out but I would be amazed if they are taking tickets for a free seminar event.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874

They're mainly there to determine if they'll give you a bigger space next year. I think theoretically you're supposed to turn people away if you're at capacity for fire safety reasons or something but it's rare.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

This is also very true.

Dr. Quarex posted:

The other big exception being if you are in the Auction/Auction Store, as they specialize heavily in "crazy good deals" in huge numbers and, well, sort of "exclusive to Gen-Con" in the sense that your local game store is not going to have, say, a shrinkwrapped copy of a rare game from 1976.

This is also true. I love the auctions and go every year. If I don't get anything, I go for the spectacle as well.

I was mainly talking about the door busting at the dealer hall to get that new game that comes out a month from Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

If any of you need a downtown room there is one at the Hilton Garden Inn just sitting there on the housing portal, has been for a bit it looks like.

I keep on missing these and it's driving me crazy.

EDIT:

I got downtown Hampton Inn so I'm finally set.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't watch Scooby Doo without being reminded of it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sloober posted:

roller suitcase users deserve death by being bludgeoned w/ a bag of dice

Either that or the boffer weapons without the padding on them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone coming down to Dice Tower Con? I live like 20 minutes away and would be happy to game with goons vs the typical Dice Tower audience :v:

I'll be going and I would be down to game with fellow goons.

I went last year, it's a fun little con and is pretty much playing board games from a huge library nonstop. The auction, flea market, and Coolstuff dinged and dented store are great too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait until the year I get to play a game of something or an RPG in the baseball stadium.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Never seen a badge checker except at the exhibitor hall doors. I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a game running past midnight.

Funny related story, I forgot my Dice Tower Con badge yesterday and was never asked or checked for it once. They have no one posted at doors or anything. To the goons that are also here, if anyone wants to play Scythe, Kemet, Keyflower, or Millennium Blades this evening post here and we'll meet up.

I've been wanting to play Scythe so I'd be down.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

If anyone has some time to kill in Indy pre/post-con I saw a billboard today and apparently the art museum has mini golf now. Eat your heart out Paris.

I think I might have to check that out on Wednesday.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

Sell it at the below forum. Any TD token that is purple and in print usually has a value around $100.

http://truedungeon.com/forum?view=category&catid=61

A quick googling returned a listing for $120.

https://discount-dungeon.com/products/2015-onyx-2-deathcleaver

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

I don't get True Dungeon. I looked at the description and it read like the worst parts of larping and the worst parts of D&D mixed in a trashcan with the collectability of MtG. With it being hella expensive and difficult to get spots for an entire group I just don't see the appeal.

I would argue Magic has more replayability but I guess you could play pogs with the discs or something.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rad Valtar posted:

I'd really like to try out Scythe and AFfO. Odin scares me a bit because I haven't played many heavy Euros so as long as you can be patient with someone new to that type of game I would like to give it a whirl.

I'm still down for learning Scythe.

Sorry I missed you at DTC Bottom Liner, was going to send you a PM but you don't have platinum.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This but for Gencon and for real.

I think Gencon is going to level out at a point soon but its attendance is growing for a number of reasons. The hobbies Gencon caters to are becoming more and more inclusive for one, increasing the attendance base. The fact that Gencon has already reached gender parity is amazing and is very telling about the state of the hobby. The current renaissance in tabletop games, mainly RPG's and board games, is causing the hobby to become more mainstream and accessible too. The general state of the economy is good, it could be better in a lot of ways, but people tend to be more able to afford a trip to Gencon than 8 years ago.

What's going to eventually happen is they're going to keep raising the prices and price out people to balance out attendance. It's the only thing they can really do until more hotels are built up downtown or another midwest city builds itself up to be a better location for Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sionak posted:

You should have got one. I did, at least with the four day badge.

I got another Legendary one with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!

This is my friend's game. I'm looking forward to playing in it.

EDIT:

I'd totally play in the Unknown Armies game but it's too late in the day on Sunday.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread