Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting pretty excite and preparing myself mentally, physically, and spiritually for the week of Gencon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How worried should I be about parking? I'm driving to and from the event on all the days. Are there ample garages? What kind of dosh are we looking at here?

Depending on where you're coming from, it might be better to use Lyft because parking is going to be expensive and possibly time consuming.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sionak posted:

I did it this year and got exactly the times I entered when creating the event. That said, I'm not exactly sure how time/rooms are assigned in the bowels of the event schedule.

Also, check if the company who publishes the game is organizing events at the con. Many companies put out a call for GMs starting in February or March and they almost always need more people demoing them. They may reward you for running their game - ArcDream gives booth credit and goodies to hand out, Pelgrane does T-shirts and maybe something else, and Posthuman Studios pays their GMs. However, if you are running the event as a company associated one, you should get in touch with their organizer first. Often they'll even create the event for you, though you may not have as much control over the time in that case.

For myself, I ran a Delta Green event for ArcDream this year and had a blast with it. (Hopefully my players did as well, since I killed all their characters.) It was a breeze on my end and I got a Delta Green raid jacket for free as a result. I would absolutely do it again.

Pelgrane gives GM's $5 booth credit for running and $1 both credit for each of the players. You can't spend more than $5 in coupons at the booth though so I don't know if you get more for running multiple games, I only ran 1.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Vasal is a pretty conservative evangelical Christian for those not too familiar with him. He's not a Mike Pence type, as far as I know, who thinks The Handmaid's Tale is a winning plan for America but he's practically Ned Flanders.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.

What's the details on this? I don't doubt it but I want to know for my own information and piece of mind.

I casually follow him in as much as he's someone I know about, watched some videos he made, and am aware that he yelled at one of his kids in a video once to shut a door with the voice of a child abuser. I've also attended his convention twice but it's mostly just playing board games in a ballroom and getting games from Coolstuff and the flea market at a greater discount.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

I have watched him say homophobic things to my gay friend and then leave when pressed to defend his lovely stance.

May he be found with a rentboy.

Good enough for me.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

The hallway games require a ticket? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiXQu0Yqr9o
The Chuck e Cheese model.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Robotech struck me as decidedly average from what I saw of it, which is a shame given the licenses. I think it'd depend on how much you like the sculpts, but either way, I wouldn't hold my breath on expansions or support. Wave 2 has eternally been on the horizon, and between the amount of money necessary and Palladium's inexperience with minis, I wouldn't put any bets on it.

You also shouldn't really support it or any other Robotech ventures because Harmony Gold is terrible and no better than a copyright troll at this point. The amount of effort they've put into loving over Battletech and any company that has tried to have a wider release of Macross in America is both astounding and depressing. Regardless of how optimistic they seem about whatever half baked, series rebooting/restarting vehicle they're developing, they have one every couple of years, they will never release it.

As much as I have nostalgia for Robotech, it needs to be smothered in its comatose state for the good of everyone else.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

Every time I've gone, I've stayed at the Circle Center Hampton which is like two blocks from the convention center. It's not a bad walk at all.

That Hampton is great and they do a great job with the continental breakfast. I stayed there this year and it was an all around enjoyable experience.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will know by the end of the month if I'm going but I most likely will be. Just in time to take part in the room lottery and face the crushing defeat that will come with it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I love you bud, but willingly going to FL in the middle of summer is a poor life choice.

If you already live in Florida though, you've already committed the worst life choice.

DTC is alright, especially if you live in Orlando, and great if you like playing board games for 96 hours. There are people in the FB group who flew from as far as Portland to be there and that just seems mind boggling to me unless they were also going to Disney or Universal. I can imagine things with the rules changing or causing tension in the next couple of years when they switch venues, their contract is up soon, and it gets bigger. At its size the rules are easy to "enforce" but once they get bigger, Vasel is going to have to have his own religious police to make sure everything is within his rules. It's kind of ridiculous because the Florida Library Association has their yearly convention at the same location and they make DTC look like New Orleans.

You don't have to be blackout drunk to have a good time but if you're on vacation, at a resort, and an adult, you should be able to drink responsibly. A lifetime ban for that is extreme too. The cosplay thing is good because it's a board game con and it just doesn't seem relevant but his reasoning is dumb and is just Vasel being Vasel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

Vassel is the thought police

Drunkfinder General

• Locked thread