Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This will be my first year at Gencon. Planning to show up with a group of friends and friends of friends. Looking forward to meeting some goons too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown (connected to the convention center) had a few rooms open today if anyone else is still looking.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any idea when/where the events list might be posted? This'll be my first year and I have only the vaguest idea of what to expect.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Impermanent posted:

where do I go to get cool gencon pictures? I want to get myself hype and sell one of my friends on going to gencon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gen...bih=901#imgrc=_

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of, events are live! Mine is here if anyone wants to get on it, but be aware I'll be running a goon fuckup game later in the evening
https://www.gencon.com/events/106204

Looks hella awesome. Dungeon World + computer of binary skeletons is a recipe that can't go wrong.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

If I want to play some board games at gen-con, do I need to register for events in advance or will there be lots of demo games and other opportunities to try out anything that looks neat? This is my first year at gen con and I'm finding the event list overwhelmingly large.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I either do not understand how the search engine for events works or I understand it perfectly. So many choices!!!

I think the search engine defaults to or-ing terms. So the search returns anything that has erotic or anime or larp (in any field as well as many misspellings and nearby words too as far as I can tell). I'm not sure how to force it to return only results that have both terms. Neither wrapping in " " or separating with + works.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What are the True Dungeon Events like? I'm tempted to give one a try, but $62 a ticket is too much to spend blind.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I just noticed that Mayfair games is running over SIX HUNDRED events and none of them are for new players. That's a boldy unfriendly choice. I guess they're not much interested in getting new people to buy their games.

nesbit37 posted:

Its worth doing at least once. Think of it as a haunted house only where you play quasi D&D inside. A lot of how good it is depends on the group you run with so if you can plan ahead and either go with friends or people that have run several times before.

Slandible posted:

I did it last year with the same idea in mind, why not try it once. Myself and just about everyone in our group walked out dissapointed. It might be fine at like 25 30 bucks, but I did not feel like I got much out of it at 60 dollars. Basically a two hour haunted house with puzzles instead.
I like puzzles but I found haunted houses at best tedious. Thanks for the info!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The best gencon experiences are all free: gaming with goons, bringing beer in a hydroflask to wander the vendor hall while getting sloshed, and taking pictures of awkward people passed out in awkward positions. That's my guide to a successful and enjoyable weekend.

Sounds good to me. I read somewhere that vendors will run free demo games too so we're thinking about not signing up for many board game events. True or False?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

My schedule Wed - Sunday so far. Am I doing it right? I think I may have scheduled too much time for eating and sleeping.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

1. "Bears?"

2. Have you done this before? People who go to Gen-Con for the first time assuming they need wall-to-wall events usually end up skipping all of them by the third day upon realizing there is too much else going on that they have been entirely missing.

3. Bears?

Also Lawen hahaha at your fantastic avatar.

Good call on Bears!, I hadn't looked at a review. We've already got other quick games that are less random.

I'm 5240 in line for wishlist processing. All that's left now is waiting and anticipating how much we'll have.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Whelp, I lost about half my events in wishlist processing. Oh well. More time for exploring Gen Con. Sadly Nemesis Of Moles, I didn't get into your non-goon IBM game. Your tickets sold out fast!

Klungar posted:

If something is in My Schedule, does that mean I got a ticket for it? I had a bunch of stuff show up as unavailable when my Wishlist processed, but they still show up in My Schedule
Check to see who you got tickets in your cart for. I had a bunch of stuff show up as unavailable in my wishlist because I didn't get as many tickets as I wanted.

You should have an email receipt for all the tickets you bought too. Even the $0 dollar tickets are listed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Seeing people in crazy cosplay costumes is at least half the reason to go to a con. The occasional overly large costume is a small price to pay to have something fun to look at while in line.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sloober posted:

They're popular but are also well known in the SA circle as having really bad, nearly unforgivable opinions about things, in addition to dubious game reviews that cite fun as a reason to like something rather than a mechanics based analysis.

I'll never forget the complaint that Dungeon Lords had a knock against it because the game name made them think it was a dungeon crawler, when it isn't

What boardgame channels or reviewers are worth watching? I've been watching a lot of Heavy Cardboard lately since they do full playthroughs and give good rules explanations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I'd really like to try out Scythe and AFfO. Odin scares me a bit because I haven't played many heavy Euros so as long as you can be patient with someone new to that type of game I would like to give it a whirl.

Odin is fairly forgiving. There's so many options that there's usually something worth doing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'm planning on bringing stuff to make jamon sandwiches so I can spend more time doing anything but wandering around looking for food. Any suggestions on what else would make for good con' snacks or meals?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there a way to get a day by day schedule of the events you signed up for at gen con?

I could put my events into a spreadsheet, but I'm looking for something more automated (to double check my spreadsheet against since its been months since I picked events).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Haystack posted:

I mean, I usually just copy/paste the table on the user home page

Thank you, that works.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

There were at least half a dozen sailing navy wargames with foot long ship models running from 9am - 4 pm most days.

I also saw one or two tables with large WWII boards covering Russia up to the Urals. One game that I remember modeled the Finland front across ~3 hexes. The Finnish forces were represented by about 16 individual minis. Russian brigades were stands with bunches of guys on each and hexes large enough to fit several stands.

Dawn patrol had a whole section for themselves.

Also 16" mech model battles.

It's not the focus, but it is there. Gen Con is so large it has a little bit of everything at this point. If you're mainly interested in wargames, you would probably have more fun at a wargames convention though. I went to a bunch of oddball events and they were generally okay to good, but not at the same quality as you'd find at a convention focused on that niche.

Chill la Chill posted:

Also, LL6 sounds like they'd prefer a convention like MAGfest more. That's more of a 24-hour nonstop event.
Maybe?

One of my favorite things about Anime Expo was the rooms that were open 24/7. It was really easy and fun to stop in for 5 minutes or 5 hours or whatever and be part of a crowd, all enjoying the same hobby. I did join a few after-hours pick up games at Gen-con but it never felt as easy or as welcoming as Anime Expo or my local gaming convention did where the only limit on how much fun I could have was how long I could stay awake.

I'm glad other goons had a good time though.

• Locked thread