Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never been to GenCon, and only been to one con ever, which was comparatively tiny and lame. I have a hotel booked (25 minutes away because I'm cheap) and 4-day badges for the lady and I. I also grabbed some tickets for a few events THAT I HAVE TO SEE GOD DAMNIT even though I missed one of them. The girlfriend is not this kind of nerdy but IS a photographer and has found a few events of interest. How many generic tickets should we be looking at? Do a lot of events involve sitting at a table with empty seats and plunking my tickets down like I'm about to lose at blackjack?

Also the bag you linked somewhere in the OP goes to a Page Not Found. Off World Designs or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

WELL ARE YOU READY FOR SOME GAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIING

Also I fixed the link, and even credited you. You are first post famous now edit: oh second post famous ;(

Man I'm so good at this GenCon thing. :allears:

My blackjack analogy was mostly about finding a table of something I'm interested in that has empty seats; maybe that doesn't happen very often? I didn't want to sign up to a whole bunch of things and have a set schedule all four days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Due to Reasons, I won't be there till about midday Thursday. I can certainly take a look at the event finder the day before. It was a little overwhelming the first time looking through it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

What, looking at 19,000 entries in a database is not light reading for you? What kind of e-denizen are you

I would say the best way to break it down is to just search for games you are interested in, but if you are one of those magical people who actually enjoys "the concept of playing a game" rather than "it is only possible for me to have fun this specific way" then that would be harder.

I am exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that is willing to try almost anything. I do have a few systems in mind that I'd want to try, at least.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm up for almost any board game or RPG. Just wanna broaden my horizons.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll be setting up goon games every day Wed-Sun. I'm bringing the following games:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

and a bunch of small games, plus whatever I find there (mostly looking for out of print stuff like Dominant Species).

Is this a thing you just setup wherever you can find room?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did the 50th anniversary maybe have something to do with selling out?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How worried should I be about parking? I'm driving to and from the event on all the days. Are there ample garages? What kind of dosh are we looking at here?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The hotel is 25 minutes to the south so that sounds like an expensive ride. I'll look into ParkWiz though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Carteret posted:

Lol just lol if you go to GenCon and don't experience a groverlunch or 3

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how groverhaus fit into this.

This is a Sesame Street Grover thing, isn't it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

No poo poo, they made more Archenemy decks? Is it a box with other decks too? That was my favorite version of MTG.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Merauder posted:

Snuck away from my booth for a minute to take a look at the Golem Edition of Century, and promptly failed the $70 will save. Wasn't all starry-eyed over the original game, but gently caress me if the Golem Edition isn't gorgeous. No idea if I talked to Bottom Liner at their booth running a demo table or if he sold me the game, or neither. But both were nice dudes.

Enjoying some Haveli for lunch before going back to the wolves.

Hope everyone's week has been rad. Wish I had time for some goon hangs.

Was there some special edition that I missed? Or did you buy the playmat too? I played a demo yesterday and it was great, went back and bought it today.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

First time ever, and I felt pretty overwhelmed the first two days.

Next year I'll have a much better idea what to do.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is my fourth year, but I totally agree. My first year was pretty stressful and confusing because I had no idea what to expect. Nowadays, I feel like I have a decent system down for managing the complexity. The only real problem I had is that I only had time to get my costume ready OR my minis, and I chose the costume (I was a Monarch henchman for part of Saturday). Next year, I'm going to try to procrastinate less and get my minis done, or at least done enough for transport.

One thing I find really helpful is putting all my events into my Google calendar so I can see at a glance what's coming up. It's also a good visual aid to help you figure out if you overcommitted.

I have the unofficial GenCon app which has a button to put things into your calendar. I only had a few events but it really helped.

djfooboo posted:

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

I went to India Palace, some shithole fifteen minutes from downtown. I ordered goat something and had to pick bones out of my mouth every other bite. Did not feel well in the morning.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a hotel 7.5 miles away, instead of 30 minutes. Its a bit more expensive and they have a $50 a night deposit fee (:wtc:) but it'll be worth not having to drive back and forth forever.

Looking over the email again, it says "credit card or cash deposit" so maybe the webpage was just really unclear about the typical credit card on file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Reserved our hotel a week or two after GenCon last year. It's about five minutes away, which is easily done with Uber or Lyft. We're also going up Wednesday, I plan to see the spectacle that is Shot Wednesday.

I don't actually have my badge yet but my girlfriend does and boy won't that be awkward if they sell out in the next couple weeks.

• Locked thread