Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Join the groupme! We're been fairly chatty since last gencon, its a fun time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think one round of shots wednesday was the single largest purchase i made at gencon. Thankfully it was offset by the incredibly generous friends that Deviant and I made during True Dungeon and bought dinner/drinks for both of us and we didnt even get murdered for my super rare loot chip

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey there. Any recommendations on places to stay during the con?

If you want to stay downtown you need to preorder a badge and get ready for the Housing lottery this weekend and/or make friends with people who are already going to share rooms and increase your chances. I don't think suburban hotels are reserved, but then you have to get transport into the city somehow.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

:siren: HOUSING LOTTERY THIS WEEKEND :siren:

Pre-order your badge if you haven't yet to get in! They are randomizing the queue for the housing portal on Saturday morning so you have 24 hours notice of when you need to be online to book a room!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I got my housing email. I'll be allowed to access...five hours after selection begins :suicide:

Lucky

E: unironic post

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah the only thing with 5 is someone doesn't get their name on the reservation so they can't check into the room. Hotels don't care at all

E:pretty much just register the 4 people that will be there first and no problem

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Fellis and I came to an arrangement where he'd use my account to get my sweet portal access time and he'd take care of all the deets on his end. Never needed to put my card up or check in to make sure I was making the 'right' reservation.

I'm really glad GenCon does not store/handle a lot of sensitive information. There's some, but you can mitigate it.

This guy rules btw. Expect not to pay for drinks wed night

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Exmond posted:

Hey ill be in Indianapolis on Tuesday, free on Wednsday. Any other goons going to gencon a bit early?

Any touristy thing to do in Indianapolis?

Extend your trip through sunday and go to gencon?

Real answer: i think there are a fair few museums and parks in indianapolis to entertain yourself at. There will be a good number of goons in town wednesday night, i hope you like doing shots.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Exmond posted:

I am going to gencon, im just arriving a day early!

Oh for some reason i interpreted your post as having other business in indianapolis that week and just looking for something to do :downs:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm considering Unplugged since I've never been to Philly before, could be fun.

I made a thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816165&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Registration opened already but it looks like there are still badges left!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The picture of the glass of scotch being your NORAD commander or whatever always cracks me up

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

What system is delta green? Google tells me its Xcom meets cthuhlu, is it just a setting? I vaugely remember it being an Apoc world hack.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Sweet, thanks buddy!

Now someone make an Xcom meets cthulhu and also aliens apoc world hack thanks in advance

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

Uh, didn't someone already do that? Isn't that what Tremulus is supposed to be?

Ok, i already said "thanks in advance" dude jeez

(I had not heard of Tremulus and that owns, thanks for the tip!)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be (overly) snarky. Tremulus may not be exactly what you want, but it might be close enough to be easily turned into a hack++.

No need to apologize friend, I wouldn't be on these here forums if the posts were snark-free. I fired back, we good :)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Do you like burgers? Like real mother fuckin' burgers? Sometimes with spicy things?
Do you like Metal Music so loud you can't hear your friends at times?
Do you like 20+ rotating drafts?
Do you like servers who don't treat you like a loving sunshine cupcake and are just knowledgeable and attentive?

Kuma's Corner in Fountain Square (2 miles away) wants to be your friend.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kumas-corner-indianapolis

If anyone wants to split an uber/give me a ride I will go here with you

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Last year Goonmeets happened every night at High Velocity, the hotel bar/resturant in the JW Mariott, where we took over a side area of the bar to play games and drink.

There were a couple other impromptu gatherings, if you aren't in groupme you will miss out on 95% of goon things really

E: High Velocity was mostly light boardgames, but you could also get one-shot/drinking friendly RPGs like Fiasco going

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

+1 for Haveli buffet, and if you go at like 11am or 1pm it's not even crowded. I intend to do that any day I don't have events so hit me up goons.

saint gerald posted:

Now that sounds even more sarcastic than my other post. This one isn't sarcastic, honest. And don't bring Soylent because you'll miss out on some good food and good times and what even is that stuff anyway.

I said "unfortunately" because shattering your preconcieved notions about how bad goons are is disorienting :v:

Also soylent is gross, sharing a meal with folks is like 33% of human existance don't cheapen it. If you really want to eat on the cheap/efficient/low cost i have a video for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFV73wpEAw

E: not actually advocating this behavior, just illustrating an extreme

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah that guy is Libertarian with a capital L, but it seems to be more "goobermint messing with my off the grid cabin in the woods" vs "literally eat the poor FYGM"

Oh poo poo groupme is leaking into the thread pull up pull up

Also, sorry in advance for infecting your youtube recommended with videos of that guy's talks but they are pretty interesting because he's a physical security consultant. I like the one on elevators.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I've got an L5R clan dinner Thursday night but I'm not committed otherwise, and would love to hang out.

How do you carry poo poo around? I'm gonna have (and build) some card decks, and assumed I would bring an ultrapro case for those. But I'm also going to buy a bunch of New5R and RPG books, so I need a shopping bag, BUT ALSO water and snacks and poo poo, so I was thinking backpack. All three would be all together too much, so what's the best solution?

a roller suitcase, the bigger the better. A backpack could hurt your back and shoulders don't loving do this

Backpacks are fine. If your hotel/car is close, consider budgeting time to run back and drop poo poo off or do all your shopping another day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Deviant posted:

i'm late but Dice Tower Con is okay. went a few years back.

it's run pretty well, but that's mostly because it's 90% open gaming space and a board game library (with barcode checkin/checkout!)

tom vasel is a homophobic shitlord.

probably wouldn't go again.

Although I did get a laugh, I was teaching Space Alert, and one of the guys asks me:

"Are you going to be teaching the entire game, like, in character like that?"
"Yes, crewman! Now on your very safe journey where nothing bad will happen you'll need to know what happens if something bad happens..."

And then he got up and walked away.

If you can't handle the gallows humor charm of teaching space alert in character, the game is not for you. You did everyone a solid.

Also, drat I haven't played space alert in forever. Nobody local to me finds the real time stress of the game fun. You're supposed to fail damnit! It makes winning all the more satisfying! :argh:

E: But people love Fuse what the heck :argh: :argh:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I'm doing two sessions of TD, and my goal is to randomly pull tokens worth ~$100 to some nerd to break even.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I think the best illustration of how good the barding songs were is that we were openly breaking the no-smartphones rule (to look up lyrics) and they didn't care

Mages make good backup singers because your combat action takes 5 seconds

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Upload the whole thing to youtube unlisted, i doubt the automatic content filter will catch it and not being searchable it is unlikely to get reported

Then everyone queues it up, we sit in a discord chatroom and all hit play at the same time. Easy!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Haystack posted:

I'm set for events this year, but I still like trawling through the database and seeing what interesting games are still available. Here's the ones that caught my eye:
  • Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!

Thanks for posting this, snagged a ticket! I just got this system and I'm about to start running a campaign in it so it'll be interesting to play it in a few weeks also.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This is my friend's game. I'm looking forward to playing in it.

See you there!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Is anyone interested in goonrushing a ridiculous RPG event with me? Detail here: https://www.gencon.com/events/113285

I was going to be playing in it with St. Gerald and Deviant, but due to unforeseen circumstances like a new L5R tourney block opening up, neither of them can make it. So I have TWO WHOLE TICKETS available for a likely very dumb game. Or three tickets if you want to take mine off my hands as well.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

It's never too early to start slammin vitamin C supplements in a hopeless effort to ward off con crud!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

No jury would convict

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I think on the gencon website you can check your event order history and all the info is there for each event.

Then just spend 5 minutes typing up google calendar events or other calendar app whatever

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

DONT FORGET YOUR BADGE

E: also if you are flying in, there is a $10 shuttle bus to downtown. They don't take cash and you can reserve a seat online ahead of time for priority boarding

http://goexpresstravel.com/indy_express

Fellis fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Goon drinking meetup is at the Rathskeller now!

Also get in groupme you dumb idiot nobody posts info here

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Shot wedneaday is over and was highly successful! People didnt die this year so fantastic!

Hope everyone has a great con, hit me up for lunch haveli's

This post sponsored by http://deviantgoons.com/

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon game of New Angeles crashing and burning super hard because of ransom demands by Fellis in round three despite there being no federalist (allegedly).

"gently caress you pay me"
"no gently caress you, burn this city to the ground"
"ok."
10 threat track progress

:sherman:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

Gotta check out of the motel by 11am tomorrow, flight doesn't leave until 7pm. Anyone know a decent place to kill a few hours in Indy? Preferably where you can take a roller suitcase for a few hours without getting too many weird stares.

Myself and a few others will be at the airport around 1pm and don't fly out till 4:30pm. We'll probably be at the gaming area in concourse B. Hit me, deviant, or goldmansack up on groupme.

We'll also be grabbing lunch in the morning before we go probably

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry your first gencon was bad LLsix, but it is really strange to be bored at gencon. Are you talking about the just the dealer area closing early and opening late? It's only 10am-6pm yeah, but dealers/volunteers have lives also (or more likely other promotional events to run).

Did you check out the exhibit areas? Most people run comprehensive demos there and are more than happy to get you in a game!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat.

Depends on your definition of monster wargame? Like ASL or North Africa? There was some historical miniatures wargaming run by HMGS midwest at the con (~6-8 tables) and they had a sand table in the museum where they were running Tractics. FFG debuted Star Wars: Legion which is a squad based minis wargame.

Chit and counter wargames I didn't really look for, but I imagine they were somewhere in the exhibit hall. The 18xx players have a large amount of tables to themselves so chit wargames probably have some.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Quarex: reminder that you need to upload hobocon so we can organize a group viewing

I would upload the dungeons and dragons cartoons I won in the auction, but it appears someone already has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJZpoC2_34

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

It would be funnier if it was a 1 and cooler if it was a 20.

15 just doesnt have anything, i mean DC 15 is a simple check jeez he probably had like +6 acrobatics

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I stopped by whatever booth had Wasteland Delivery Service and it looked like one of those games that is very thematic and fun with the right people but not actually a good or deep game.

Full disclosure: I didn't actually play the game, just watched the guy go through the rules and he answered a lot of my questions

So everyone has their truckers (no differentation out of the box), you get 5 actions with which you can always move and do a thing (buy/sell goods, shop/upgrade/missions, fight npcs), or just move in which case your subsequent move actions go further (higher gears). Players take turns doing each action so ideally there isn't a lot of board state churn or downtime and things go quickly without too much boredem.

You can pick up goods in certain towns for a fixed price and sell them elsewhere for a dynamic price based on how many towns demand that good. Once a town has demand fufilled, it draws a new demand token. There may have been a way to churn the supplier tokens too (fuzzy memory), but the idea was that they didn't just want players to find an optimal route and run it the whole game. You can also pick up secondary missons for one of three factions in their allied towns.

Combat is with NPC raiders only. You can buy gun upgrades that let you roll dice to generate damage, and get one-shot weapons to guarentee damage. The raider health is randomly determined by a card draw and the reward is goods you get to loot. Truck takes damage to cargo storage and can be full repaired for a flat fee.

Other upgrades are just doing everything, but better. Bigger truck to store more guns and cargo, more movement, ignore enviroment hazards, etc.

The goal of the game is to do three objectives which are randomly determined at the start. This can be killing raiders, supporting a certain faction by doing their sidequests, or delivering stuff/making money. First person to do all three wins.

One of the game's big selling points was that it had millions of variations because everything can be randomized. I disagree with that because I didn't see any major variables that were effected. Like the game would play the same no matter what board layout and objectives were in play: you make money, gear up, and push your objectives. The upgrades also seemed really shallow and I dislike some of the RNG that was in the game.

I maybe would feel different if I played the game a few times, but I was not impressed with the game, and definitely not impressed with the $80 price tag.

It definitely has an asethetic though and it has tons of high production value components. The game even comes with chit trays and a tutorial on how to fit everything in the box. If you have a friend who loves the big fiddly FFG-style experience generators then they will probably love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Oh I also played Red Markets which is a zombie apocalypse RPG which was kickstarted last year and the pdf popped up just a month or so ago.

I know y'all will probably roll your eyes when you see the word 'zombie' followed by 'apocalypse', but Red Markets is actually good and like most good zombie movies, the undead are really not a problem, they just make everything mundane that you do really dangerous. The major enemy in this game (as in real life) is the crushing weight of capitalism and poverty as your PC's struggle to care for their dependants and equipment, and earn enough money to escape the terror of the zombie apocalypse, as there are vast parts of the world that are relatively untouched.

The best thing about the system in my opinion is that they handle crunchy resource tracking in an abstract way that feeds right into the rolling mehanics and even has good decision making attached.

For example, you need to track your PC's bullet usage, but instead of writing down numbers, you just have 10 charges of gun usage. Everytime you make a gun attack, you expend one charge of the gun. If you would like to increase your chances of success, you can expend additional charges before the roll for +1 each. The gun has a refresh cost to pay to get back charges, and each character additionally has a number of free refreshes based on their scavanging skill.

The resolution system is d10 based. Each roll is a positive (black) die minus a negative (red) die. If you roll net positive (in the black) you suceed, net negative (in the red) fails. Modified ties fail and natural ties are criticals (evens = sucess, odd = failure).

Another neat feature is that the GM barely rolls in the game. NPCs are compentent and will auto-hit unless the players spend actions to dodge or otherwise avoid damage. (However even barely trained athletics dodges 50% of the time per resolution mechanics above)

There is a thread on SA here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777241 if you'd like to read more/discuss. I really like the system and I'm really looking forward to the campaign I just started in it. It also makes a fantastic one-shot.

• Locked thread