Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I heard you when you shouted it earlier Dr. Quarex)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'll echo the recommendation of Yard House. Food is pretty good and there's tons of beer on tap, which is fantastic. I've stopped in during the day and it's usually pretty empty, I guess because it's a little farther away from the Convention Center or something.

I'm looking forward to this year's Gen Con, but am a little nervous about scheduling more stuff to do. Usually it's just my friend and I, but this year three more friends are joining us (on account of it doubling as a part of my bachelor party). It should be a ton of fun, as always, but it's going to be hard topping last year when I randomly made close to $400 off of True Dungeon coins.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm going with a larger group than usual this year, and we've blocked out our schedule of events we want to do. We're all friends on the Gen Con site. Is the best way to wishlist the events for myself + all my friends, then when registration opens hope to make it through the floodgates and claim the tickets to the events? I seem to remember some problem last year with an event on both my friend and I's wishlist selling out, and then I couldn't buy a replacement event for him in the same timeslot because the expired event was still in his wishlist at that timeslot. I might be misremembering, though. Any tips are appreciated!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Exmond posted:

Best bet would be to have one person add you all as "Friends" on the gencon webiste. Then have that one person sign up for the event and get tickets for everyone, then click the "Dont get tickets unless we can get tickets for everyone".

Awesome, this was my plan, I just wasn't sure if there was a better way or something. Going this route, we don't need to have everyone add each event to their wish list, right?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Has anyone ever done one of the "Totally not Star Trek" bridge simulations? My group of 5 is looking at doing either Spaceship Bridge Simulation or Starship Horizons, but as we've never done either it's kind of a stab in the dark for us. I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions on either, or even if the prevailing opinion is that both suck and don't waste your time with them.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the opinions on the bridge simulations! It sounds like they are something to skip, but I do have one final question--everyone was mentioning opinions on Artemis, but it looked like there were two other bridge simulation systems in the events catalogue. Is that just my misunderstanding and they're all actually based off Artemis? Or is Artemis the only one to definitely avoid?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I posted some in here last year when my buddy and I tried out TD for the first time, but it was really disappointing. Our group was nice but also filled with TD powergamers, so we just kind of got talked into doing Hard Mode (we had no idea wtf anything meant, so we just deferred to them) and that meant we did nothing meaningful while the rest of the team pulled us through. The actress who was playing our Dark Elf guide seemed EXTREMELY over it all and was barely paying attention/acting (she felt one-step removed from just reading her lines off of notecards). We each pulled good tokens and googled a token vendor, texted him to see if he was at Gen Con (of course he was) and flipped two tokes for $400-500 total and called it a loving good time. Don't think I'd ever do it again, though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Another great Gen Con! Didn't get as much as I usually do, and it almost all went to RPGs this year. Picked up some Sentinels expansions and the Gloomhaven Broken Token kit, but most of my other friends bought the games I was interested in so I'll just leach off of them. I wanted to snag Vast after having a great demo of it with the artist and his wife, but it was $18 cheaper on Amazon and that was too much of a discount to ignore.

This was my first time going with more than just one friend, and I was nervous about how it'd all work out, but we had a good balance of doing group things and separating. Played a ton of Pathfinder ACG (as always) and tried out Starfinder. I originally was ready to drop down a lot of money on Starfinder, but the event we played was pretty lackluster and it selling out on day 1 left a bad taste in my mouth. Ended up doing a demo of 7th Sea, as well, and falling in love with it so my group and I decided to jump into that.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fragged Empire is the better choice there, I think, having gotten a look at Starfinger. I actually ran across some of the adventures in the auction store, and got the archives at IGDN, so I finally have a set of the main books and I'm pretty happy about it!

Yeah, that's how I felt walking away, too. I backed the recent Fragged Kickstarter to get Fantasy/Aeternum/etc, and I wanted to snag the core book while I was at Gen Con if possible. I didn't realize the base setting was actually sci-fi themed until I picked it up to look at it, though, so it was a double win for me. Between this, 7th Sea, and a couple of systems our group's switch-hitter DM picked up, we might be moving off Pathfinder for good.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Carteret posted:

That's cool and all, but nerdy as gently caress and NO ONE CARES

You don't need to post the Gen Con slogan in the Gen Con thread, we all know it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The first year my friend and I did Gen Con we didn't have any scheduled events and had enough of a blast that we've been doing it every year since. The second year we only had two scheduled events. We got a bunch of events lined up this year, but if we hadn't our plan was basically what Nemesis of Moles outlined above. You're gonna be juuuuuuuuuuust fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON APPROACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread