Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mkultra419 posted:

Anyone have parking tips? Got stuck at an outer ring hotel this year for the first time and the whole Con selling out thing is making me nervous. And I just saw that the Gate 10 deal is also sold out. We should only be driving there and back once a day, so not worried about super accessibility.

We were in an outer ring last year and there is an underground parking ramp right in front of the convention center, it always had room no matter when we went every day. But it was like $40 a day or something.

This year we will probably just try Lyft/Uber from the hotel. Whichever is cheaper, since they have surge pricing and all that. People that used it last year said it was really cheap and efficient so fingers crossed. I've used Uber in Chicago when it was busy as poo poo and the rides were only like $5 each way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I tried to do maximum of two four hour games each day. Any more than that and my brain melts. Even pushing 8 hours of gaming each day is a bit much, but it leaves good gaps to explore the halls and they'll have the stadium to explore this year which is supposed to have cool museum stuff with a lot of donated D&D items. A day and a half you will probably be fine not getting tickets for anything.

A lot of games have walk up game sessions that kick off every hour that don't need tickets and such.

Just wander, stuff face, drink beer, enjoy the downtown area outside of the con. It's a great place to be for a few days. Just ignore the poop stench of the shared sewage.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 4, 2017

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have one four hour event each day, and the rest of the time will be spent waiting in lines to spend stupid amounts of money

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I just park in the underground ramp right in front of the main doors. No one knows it's there.

I'm going to try Uber / Lyft first though. THey both have weekly specials of $5/10 off per ride. I'm only 7 miles away.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

darkspider42 posted:

Is there a code to use to apply the discount?

No, it's just something that applied to my accounts.

Also, Uber from my hotel is $21 during surge, and $17 non-surge.

I'll likely just be parking at the lot for $20 or whatever it is per day.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

If you want war games, you'll want to go to Origins instead. All the war gamers and companies have made Origins the grognard vacation. The commercial war game companies can't afford GenCon any longer so the focus on one event, Origins. They also do D&D and Pathfinder as well. GenCon has mostly been angling to general board gaming and away from the heavier stuff over the years. It's mostly fine because there are billions of 'Cons these days and not just one or two. Kinda how the San Diego Comic Con isn't Comics anymore, those are all done locally and at Chicago etc instead.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2017

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

That's cool and all, but nerdy as gently caress and NO ONE CARES

Nah, D&D has some really loving epic moments. That was his.

Also, is the Are You a Werewolf? The new Cards Against Hummanity game? So many people sitting together slapping their legs for hours on end. It was confusing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got badge. Hotel lottery sucks, we've always had to stay on the edge of town, which is fine, but when you've got games scheduled at 8am it blows rear end, and trying to find parking is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

I think you are free to cancel. Like one of the strategies is for a bunch of people to agree to share a room before the lottery, and whoever has the best reservation gets a room for everyone.

Thought there were crazy cancellation fees to stop this.

• Locked thread