Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Texibus posted:

My girlfriend, sister, and her boyfriend all decided they wanted to check out Gencon at the buzzer here. I managed to get them a Friday pass, is there anything on Friday event wise that I should get them into? Not really seeing much. Would appreciate some help though.
The good news is that all light/non-gamers attending Gen-Con to check it out will be endlessly entertained just by going into the free-with-badge things, like the Exhibition Hall, the Auction, and being able to wander freely and examine the nightmarishly beautiful visions of gameworld on offer anywhere and everywhere.

Also oh the Auction

Have them go to the Auction

DID I MENTION THE AUCTION YET

Important Gen-Con Advice From The Official Forums posted:

(What do you have in your bag at Gen-Con?)

My EDC, flashlight, and knife. I feel pretty darn naked around a large amount of people in a small area and not being armed.
I guess it helps me understand pro-concealed-carry people a little better if there are those who feel threatened by even Gen-Con crowds.

(I bet it would be super-funny to call this person out as needing a "safe space")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I'm actually worried about the auction this year just because I have a feeling it is going to be far more crowded than normal this year. I've seen a lot more people on the official forums and facebook group asking about it, and while it on one hand is great that more people are experiencing it I always want everyone to stay away from my sweet gaming dealz!
Well there is one place it is never crowded...on the other side of the Auction tables ;) Actually it can get crowded there too but yeah. I feel you; the Auction was always something to enjoy on its own merits while also relaxing for many years when I went to it, but beginning in the mid-2010s(!) it became more likely that there would not be enough space to casually stretch out and examine your goods while also taking in the bids. Still often fairly empty though.

Also the 2017 edition of "a New York Times bestselling author's Gen-Con tips" is up? Who is this guy? I CANNOT POSSIBLY GOOG AND FIND OUT

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah it makes zero sense that the Auction room has been the same size since it was half the item density. Granted the compression does a great job making it seem like the tightest collection of fabulous goods in the world, which is also nice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Heck yes, anything at all to listen to while trying to will myself into already being on vacation

Edit: That was ... fine. Way too focused on specific games but still nice.

Someone posted on the Facebook group asking a similar question, and it sounds like there are a half-dozen gaming groups who will be doing a Gen-Cast in the next week or so, so I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON THEM

Edit: Haha wait I just realized that could have been you asking. Now I cannot find the post again to check

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 3, 2017

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I will literally fill my entire Gen-Con time with Exhibit Hall and Auction if someone does not beg me to do an event with them. It is a beautiful and glorious existence.

Well except this year where I somehow have ~3 events a day titled "Retrospective: (Topic That Interests Me)."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).
:shobon: Thanks!!! I once told my now-spouse that the only reason I would ever skip Gen-Con is if we had a baby then, and I even mentioned "since it seems so incredibly unlikely, I guess it is going to happen" and there you go.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:
Pricing for the Auction is always a little tricky. The only rule I really follow is that if I would rather be rid of something than get a good price for it, I let it go to the store if unsold; if not, I do not let it go to the store. And even if something should logically sell for like $50 or more I would still only put a reserve at like $20 just in case you get one of the rare auctioneers who does not know to start bidding below the reserve to get people hyped up.

Oh you posted a really helpful guide to pricing things on the next page so I am glad I just decided to put in a general "how to decide whether you care whether you make money" suggestion. Oh and then Sionak also posted good stuff. Hooray!

I hope you are still working on your delightful T.O.V.A. idea. You still have the weekend!

As far as any other pricing suggestions, well, not really about pricing per se, but this is Gen-Con 50. I suspect that memorabilia collectors will be sporting full-on nostalgia arousal this year, and I am basically trying to unload every single TSR-era D&D thing I have that I do not specifically want forever, with the hopefully accurate assumption that people who may have never attended before but have been fans forever will be all too excited to finally own, say, a working copy of the Mattel Electronics D&D Labyrinth!

Trustworthy posted:

This is the part of my annual Gen Con tradition where I regretfully inform Quarex that I'm still not that guy. I'm a slightly different guy with short lame-o hair whom Quarex is, at best, only mildly excited about seeing. :sweatdrop:

edit: I'm chuffed as a lark to see you and y'all, though! :dance:
I am telling you. You are the one that I want. Ooh, ooh, ooh, honey. Well, you know. In the Gen-Con sense.

Trynant posted:

I'll be showing up late Wednesday (assume there's a meetup on Wednesday?); and am still debating like hell over what games to bring. Either way, my default mode is going to be trying to push games on people in the games library as much as possible. Time for groupme I suppose!
Obviously you are probably in the GroupMe now but it sounds like the most likely Wednesday meetup is going to be "the people who want to get dwarf-quality-drunk all the time," which obviously will sound fantastic to many. I am probably going to be trying to get in as many of my Auction volunteer hours as possible on Wednesday helping set up, personally, and will then go to the Sun King tapping/Lez Zeppelin concert thing on Georgia Street all starting at 5, which I imagine will be a Thing Worth Attending maybe?!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, was that 2015? I remember showing up to a Harry & Izzy's lunch where I expected a handful of people and there were seemingly all the people from our entire chat at the same table.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

One and the same.
I am so proud

No wonder I have the vague recollection of having people be surprisingly horrified to see me despite me being So Amazing. Fortunately I am indeed an amazing tipper

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Merauder posted:

Just boarded my flight to Indy. Here's to a crazy week to come, folks. :allears:
Wooo! I am here already too! Highest five!

Rathskeller has always been in my mind when in Indianapolis since I have never been to a bad German restaurant, I am nodding at the suggestion. And it will not be (Gen-Con) busy for obvious distance reasons!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone have any experience with adopting a puppy and hiring someone else to pet it at Gen-Con?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah no shame in that. I was so impressed with the Auction that after a few years I could no longer resist the urge to volunteer so I could spend even more time there.

Second-favorite Auction fun fact from this year: Gen-Con 2 was the site of the first Gen-Con Auction, because Tom Wham brought some games there he hoped he could get someone else to buy, and other people did too. So he gathered people together and auctioned them all off. Without keeping track of which game was whose. He said he is still not sure how they ended up dividing up the money at the end. Grand.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

That Old Tree posted:

I heard they rearranged the schedule so it's done at 11am on Saturday?
I would post the schedule but it still starts at... well... it officially starts at 3 and goes until 7, but "Art and Books and Misc." is at 2, and how is that not T. O. V. A.?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I definitely spent less time in the Exhibition Hall this year than any other, and not at all on purpose. Despite it being the biggest ever. drat, man. So many dollars ended up in the wrong place - - still in my possession.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I enjoyed reading LLSix's response to the convention because basically the only other person I have ever known who was underwhelmed by Gen-Con was underwhelmed for the opposite reason, that there was too much focus on events going on non-stop and not enough vendors (I have no idea how many vendors would be enough for that guy). I suppose it is hard to argue that it feels as welcoming as whatever conventions you are used to, though I suspect if it were not your first time you also would have felt less like it was in any way intimidating. I mean, it is impossible to walk the hallways from like 8 P. M. to who knows??? A. M. without finding games of Are You A Werewolf? every 50 feet.

As far as timing, I have been to several other conventions but I still do not entirely understand how Gen-Con could feel like it shuts down any more than any other one, and in fact much less so, coming from someone who was still yelling into a microphone to convince people to buy things for charity at about 2 A.M. Saturday.

Speaking of...

That Old Tree posted:

I spent a lot of time in the auction, and I still encourage people to check it out, but it wasn't the same as it was. I think there's just too much poo poo and not enough time, so you don't get those rambling stories and reactions to the weird, unique or just plain interesting crap that shows up. Maybe just because it was the 50th? I guess I'll see whenever I get to go back.
I have no idea what parts of the Auction you saw but I am sorry they were clearly the wrong ones. We had so many comments about how much better this year was than the last few, not to mention this was the swan song for Tim Kask and the almost-Swan-Song for Frank Mentzer, two of the people you must be talking about if you mention rambling stories, both of whom did several hours a day to go out (permanently for Tim, partially for Frank) with a bang.

That said, I am both obviously biased and also was in the room a total of about two hours on Thursday and Friday versus ten on Saturday, so maybe there were weird issues going on earlier that I did not experience. Plus, I suppose if you have not been there since the mid-2000s, that is also back when I thought the Auction was boring and barely checked it out, so it could easily be very different now for all I know.

What I am saying is, I am mystified that the event I believe is objectively the best thing happening every year is not equally enjoyed by others ;) ;) ;) :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Avenging Dentist posted:

In all seriousness I can see why someone might not get as much out of Gen Con their first time. I was horrifically unprepared my first time, but then it was also the first gaming convention I'd been to aside from one or two times at GW's (which was kinda lame looking back on it). It's easy to miss out on the stuff you like when you don't know how to find it in the first place.
That does make sense; my first time going (1997) I pretty much had no idea what it even was, other than "gaming wooo!" and I was a stupid teen so I was guaranteed to be impressed. But if I had actually heard something specific and thought I would try to focus on that one thing, I may have approached it in a way that made it suck. Like I knew there were live-action games that spanned the entire convention, but if I thought that was a common thing rather than a few weirdo exceptions, I would have been mad about the limited choice (in that case, pretty much "Star Trek, Vampire, or A Thing Just Like Vampire!") instead of experiencing constant nerdmazement.

Skypie posted:

Then there's my lunatic friends who sign up for Munchkin tourneys every year and every year complain about people bending rules or using "special" items and :suicide:
Your friends would have loved the Munchkin shirt that was auctioned off for like $30 that let you like draw an extra card and ignore two negative effects (because it was autographed by both Steve Jackson and John... Kovalik?). The world of Munchkin is truly not one for the faint of heart

That Old Tree posted:

There were also one or two times where it was "Okay, we want to move onto the next category of stuff/shut down for tonight, so we're going to just chew through as much of the poo poo on these tables as fast as possible." The best part was ?right before the charity auction? when ?David and Josh? were just making crazy poo poo up. "Hot molten lead! Put it on your child! Safe for children!" "My childhood, ages 3-10." "*holding up some post-apoc boardgame* America in 3 years! See the horrible future! Reserve is $20!"
My name is not David (close!) but otherwise that is all accurate and I completely agree that it was very fun. Even though when Josh first declared we were pretending the items were other things I was like "yep, thanks, this is going to be bad" but I felt like 50% of it worked, which could have been way worse, and all our Auction overlords really care about is if things sell, and we sold previously-unsold things, so everyone won!

It also sounds, and this is not directed at you per se obviously, like the powers that be (including seemingly the charity partner itself) liked the Charity Auction having some lively zaniness to pick things back up once it started getting late, so I hope that will all happen again and my Gen-Con Saturdays will forever be 4-8 hours of yelling about toys.

That Old Tree posted:

I didn't get to see Frank do any actual auctioneering this year, which is absolutely what I'm nostalgia-ing most about. He'd tell a five-minute story about the history of some garbage product and get someone to pay $30 for it. Plus, I didn't see any really crazy products up on the block. I know this is just because of my timing. I saw someone carrying two copies of Titanic into the auction on Thursday.

Hey, after '05 and especially '06, I swore if I ever came back I'd spend half of every day in the auction. But that was over 10 years ago. We've both changed!

I don't regret or resent it. Just, whatever the reason, it wasn't the thrill it was before. When I go back I'll still probably end up spending 3+ hours every day in the auction.
Yeah fair enough, certainly timing is huge and there have definitely been crazier item years. There were no Spawn cars or handmade Pokémon chess sets. I think we should challenge the audience to try to sell one piece of ephemera from their gamerooms every year. You know, ephemera like a car

Watching Frank convince people to buy crap that he admits is crap but that he knows an insider story about really is wonderful. They sent him up to be my writer my first time doing non-T. O. V. A. and he is a great auctioneer teacher too, haha. "Not bad, but the guy who kept wavering in the back is easy to juice for a few extra bucks if you point him out." This is sort of the genesis of my advanced technique of "pointing at someone and telling them to put their card back up"

Also where was your friend when that awful beat-up copy of HeroQuest with a $95 reserve did not sell?!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

Wait, we can reserve early rooms as government employees. Whaaaaat?
Yeah, what is all this about?! Not that I am a government employee or anything... Ahem. But maybe you mean Indiana government? All I know is, I did indeed book my room already for next year, I think the Tuesday before Gen Con was when I was reminded that next year's convention is two weeks earlier, and I grabbed the Hilton downtown before it sold out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rad Valtar posted:

Apparently Tom Vasal was furious at Alan Moon because he told the dam fish joke at the Dice Tower panel and there is swearing so Vasal thought it was inappropriate. Basically gently caress Tom Vasal.
After looking up the joke, I bet the fact that the straight man character is a priest is also part of why a humorless self-righteous Jesum would be angry about it.

Though for the record I would never swear that casually in an actual event at an overtly family-friendly convention. So for as much as Tom Basalt... Tom Basalt... Dammit phone. For as much as he can choke on his high horse, he is certainly within his rights to be upset at his dude. Unless that was an adult event in which case yet again go to h*ck Tom.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.
I think these beliefs can coexist nicely.

Vote Dickweasel '20

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Best new game I played this year was TORG Eternity, because it was the only game I played :smug:

ok I was also in the 1975 D&D Tournament Recreation Thing (tm) but I am even more sure that does not count

Thanks for the Auction shout-out, Bottom Liner. Considering the Auction is tangibly more popular than so many other things happening at Gen-Con, it is always weird how little discussion there is about it. Which is probably one substantial part of why I joined up, so I could better immerse myself in the lunacy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haystack posted:

This post was a bit of a roller coaster, let me tell you
Hahhahahaha it so was. As I started reading it I was like WAIT A MINUTE I LIKE HIM WHERE IS THIS GOh O.K good point *nod*

Edit: You know. Kind of like a roller coaster

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vehementi posted:

Someone on the unofficial gen con facebook page said they already booked their hotel for next year. I do see on hotels.com some places available, and the only 3 downtown are $500+ a night. Is that guy just saying he committed to that price already or are there hotels that release at normal prices around this time?
I do not actually know if I am the person you are citing, though it would be funny if I were, but for me it is really not quite as bad as it seems. I did not realize it until people started marveling at it, but being a member of Hilton's HHonors program evidently gives me the magical ability to reserve rooms at marginally reasonable prices even in circumstances like this... If you consider $300/night to be reasonable under any circumstances (which obviously I do).

My hotel stay almost always ends up the most expensive part of the convention for me anyway, so I just sort of roll with whatever happens. Though I did balk at the $450/night Conrad the first year everything was sold out early... But I also did not have a real job then.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, nerd 1%ers can always make connected hotels work for Gen-Con; probably even nerd 5%ers!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Skypie posted:

But I also live in Indy so there's no reason for me to pay $2000 for a hotel
Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

head58 posted:

Just an FYI that hotel reservations for GenCon's try-hard step-sister, Origins, opened today. And of course the website was hosed. But it doesn't sell out like GenCon does so there should still be rooms available.
Haha, try-hard step-sister. Nice. I dunno, Gen-Con and Origins were married in 1988 and 1992...though I guess there is nothing illegal about marrying your step-sister :(

Wow I had no idea Origins merged with DRAGONCON in 1990, how absurd. That is not quite as fascinating as learning this year that Gen-Con kind of only exists because Gary Gygax could not afford a trip to Pennsylvania in 1967, but it is still an intriguing connection.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yup, poo poo ain't cheap, but skywalk access this year basically has me spoiled. I can't go back. I won't. Especially when dealing with cosplay crap (even though I'm basically just the cosplay assistant).
It really does sound awful having to choose between like 30 minutes with your fairy wings stuffed into a hatchback or finding a place on-site to actually change. Some of those costumes have to be like hours-long preparation affairs that I can only imagine working if you have a connected hotel. The concept of your hotel dictating your clothes is certainly fascinating.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I CAST THEE OUT

Though it existed first then fair enough.

But I think the more GroupMes the merrier. I mean I suppose given that most people just uninstall GroupMe when it is not the month leading up to the convention, maybe we really could just have a single Goon Convention GroupMe but NOBODY WOULD EVER AGREE ON IT wait what if we make a new GroupMe for a convention we can all agree is the best, like Central Illinois' own FlatCon

nesbit37 posted:

Having lived in Milwaukee while Gen Con was there I can say that it doesn't feel like a vacation. Gen Con was definitely fun and I enjoyed it a lot, but it feels more special and vacation like now that I have to fly to get to it. Curious to see how it goes with Pax Unplugged this year since I live in Philly and will be either biking or taking the trolley there each day.
I expect to see you eerily passing by on the trolley anywhere I go in Philadelphia.

I have no idea if I will get in early on Wednesday or late, if I actually get in on time will you be around or are you far enough away that it would be dumb to hang out? IT IS A DATE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Oh joy a Quarex date! Hanging out on Wednesday (or Thursday for that matter since things don't really get going till Friday apparently?) is cool. I live in West Philly just like good old Fresh Prince, but that's only 15 minutes from Center City by bike, and I work about 10 minutes north of Center City by bike. The preferred, and more suicidal, method of travel in a city where no one obeys any traffic laws. Only reason I'll probably be taking the trolley for PAX Unplugged is because I don't want to worry about biking with a bunch of board games and RPG books should I lose self control and buy all of the things.
Oh oops right, this is not Gen-Con, I meant Thursday. Hope you make it without dying on your bike! But yeah I totally think a trolley is the wrong decision too.

Maybe we can hit up the Colts Grille

Skypie posted:

One year, I'll actually do some stuff with other goons. But I spent basically my entire time at the convention in the exhibit hall and still only got to see maaaaaaybe 50% of what I wanted. We did go to the burlesque show Saturday night, though, which was a fun time.
Hey as long as you have contemplated the idea of getting a downtown hotel I feel you are giving it a fair shake. But yeah if I lived there even I with my MUST-FEEL-CLOISTERED-FROM-REAL-LIFE ideals would have a hard time justifying like $250/night just to live a slightly better version of an absurd fantasy.

I hear you though, some people do not understand how the Exhibit Hall can take up hours of every day (or, you know, an entire day if you are only there for one day) but to me it is obvious: YOU CAN ONLY BE IN THE WORLD'S NERDIEST MALL ONCE A YEAR

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Waffles Inc. posted:

The last way to game the system appears to have died :(
The importance of joining every hotel's rewards system cannot be understated, as I can speak from experience and say that the Hilton brand still sells affordable rooms to its members a year out, as I have my standard emergency backup room at the connected Hilton for "only" $300/night, refundable (which is good as I have ended up in my V.I.G. friend's room most every year anyway).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What the hell

I thought somebody in the GroupMe said they made the new thread!!! OH NO!!!

O.K., I will start writing it up. Last chance to post any pictures from last year that we should use (yes the priest is obviously going to feature prominently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847330

• Locked thread