Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can I go into Tilted Kilt again and order 18 shots of fireball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

saint gerald posted:

Only if you wait for me to get there this time

:glomp:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fordan posted:

Did you start the shot rounds? I stopped feeling at all bad about walking in unannounced and saying something like "Table for 16, make that 18" after like the 3rd round of shots.

Yeah, it was 12 when we first showed up, and it spiraled out of control from there.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

I'm torn on the auction space. On one hand, it deserves something much larger. But the selfish side of me wants to keep it crammed to keep more people out for the better deals for those willing to tough it out.

TOVA TOVA TOVA!!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Welp, my hotel is a minimum 16 min drive from the Convention Center. At least I have a car to drive to and from.

uber's your friend, friend.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

So for this gen con project, next month at Gary Con I am going to see if I can interview mike carr. He is the one human being who has been to every gen con there ever has been. I ask you, thread, what questions would you have of such a man?

"Who are you?"
"What are you doing here?"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

My wife has experience in wastewater and sewer engineering, so last year when I complained about the smell she explained to me in great detail why it's an extremely difficult problem to solve.

Anyone who rooms with a goon has experience in sewer engineering. :v:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

WHAT'S PRGS PRECIOUS

My ears (eyes?) perk up at any mention of late-night anything these days, as after a decade of trying to be good and going to bed early, last time I just went whole-hog and embraced my love for the night (thanks CaptainRat) and definitely ended up having a whole lot of fun between 11 and 3 every night when normally I would have tried to be in bed before Midnight.

I suggest a quiet dinner for 4. 8. 13 but I swear this is is it. 19. At the tilted kilt

"Can I get 23 shots of fireball? Thanks!"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Carteret posted:

It didn't help that we were literal agents of chaos being goony idiots trying to break poo poo.
...although to be fair we (USSR) did both fake and successfully BEAT the Americans to the moon. It helped that John Glen died early. TOTALLY NOT US

Yeah, but they wouldn't let american nuclear structure have any fun. I was loving head of Strategic Air Command and they specifically said I wasn't allowed to go all Dr Strangelove.

"BORED. BYE."

Although i think we lost the sympathy of the NSDM staff when Saint Gerald started openly pouring bourbon for the american command structure

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ego Trip posted:

I just wanted to nuke China. :(

WE ALL WANTED TO NUKE ANYTHING.

I wonder what happened after we made that random guy president/vp/sac/joint chiefs all at once

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 6, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:siren: COMMUNICATION INFO :siren:

As we get closer to event time, I want to point out to anyone that may not use it that we use Groupme for chat and coordination.

It's a great mobile/PC app that can fall back to group texting when data isn't available.

If you aren't in the Goon Gencon Groupme Group yet, PM me your username or phone number and we can get you set up.

https://www.groupme.com

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU Click this link to join!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nuh-uh, one time at Gen-Con I met up with a woman from the Internet and we had a great time and then we were making out in the back seat of my car (gotta keep secrets from the roommates and all that [no offense roommates]) and after what seemed like literally five seconds she said something like "you can't keep kissing me the same way over and over" and I said "I think I would run out of kisses after a minute at that rate?" and though we laughed I thought to myself "there is no force on this planet that could grant me continued succeed in this worthwhile endeavor" but fortunately some randos suddenly started approaching the car making a lot of noise so we buttoned things back up and got out and that was pretty much that.

Totally cool lady, mind, but clearly operating under a constant haste spell if you know what I mean* :smug: Kill me immediately :smug:

On one hand I do not want to post this because I think a side conversation about awkward Gen-Con hookups might be the worst thing to ever happen to this thread, but I also cannot deny it would be kind of amazing.

* It is also possible I have been slowed by some sort of Appalachian curse

pls source your quotes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Yes, this is suitable.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am deeply incensed about my lack of an L5R ticket.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Klungar posted:

Didn't get into the Trail of Cthullu game in the morning, but otherwise got everything I wanted:

When do you drink?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lump Shaker posted:

Yes, I lucked out and got a ticket. Also got into the Star Wars Destiny championships so I'm pretty pleased. Other than that, doing Two Rooms and a Boom, Wits & Wagers Gameshow and the BGG Hot Games Room.

If you like Two Rooms, I'd probably sell you my kickstarter edition. It didn't grab us.

Edit: I'd trade it to you for your L5R ticket. :p

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i plan to use the auction as my personal nerd thrift store donation center

listing all my old stuff starting at 99 cents and not coming back for anything that doesn't sell.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Carteret posted:

lol just lol if you've never had the meat-sweats at GenCon

*angry chanting*

GROVER LUNCH!
GROVER LUNCH!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The only thing I go to gencon to buy is shots.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sloober posted:

I'm thrilled my copy of space alert has a nearly illegible Vlaada signature

Vlaada looks and talks exactly like I'd expect.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the cd staff are loving weirdos

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i'm late but Dice Tower Con is okay. went a few years back.

it's run pretty well, but that's mostly because it's 90% open gaming space and a board game library (with barcode checkin/checkout!)

tom vasel is a homophobic shitlord.

probably wouldn't go again.

Although I did get a laugh, I was teaching Space Alert, and one of the guys asks me:

"Are you going to be teaching the entire game, like, in character like that?"
"Yes, crewman! Now on your very safe journey where nothing bad will happen you'll need to know what happens if something bad happens..."

And then he got up and walked away.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Moriatti posted:

Any goons signing up for Artemis Bridge simulators or some of these 4e games?

Paging cell block or ego trip to discuss our trip through bridge simulation.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

CellBlock posted:

Artemis is fine, but they seem to charge a lot for their events (and the software is free, so if your friends want to play, you may as well just all get a copy and play at someone's house or something). (Fake edit: It looks like the Artemis events are mostly $12 for an hour, which is fine. In past years, they had some really expensive sessions where there were costumes and stuff.)

Deviant is talking about when we played Horizon, and I was the comms person, basically harassing space movers and taunting enemies (and possibly swiping right on space tinder). We managed to hit a planet.

It jumped out in front of us.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

So can I knock my balls around on some Picassos or what?

putting your balls on the picassos is how you got banned from the Louvre.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i liked TD and i'm doing it again because i like puzzles and escape rooms.

but see my stories about being the jackass bard to realize that i'm sort of bringing my own fun to it.

they did not appreciate my rendition of Get Low by Lil' Jon.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fordan posted:

We did get participation from the other rooms/groups for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen though.

which, as i've said before, is so stdh.txt that if i didn't have witnesses, i'd say that bard's name was Albert Einstein

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

I think the best illustration of how good the barding songs were is that we were openly breaking the no-smartphones rule (to look up lyrics) and they didn't care

Mages make good backup singers because your combat action takes 5 seconds

there was a no smartphones rule?

must i pre-print my nonsense?

because i will

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 16, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never been to GenCon, and only been to one con ever, which was comparatively tiny and lame. I have a hotel booked (25 minutes away because I'm cheap) and 4-day badges for the lady and I. I also grabbed some tickets for a few events THAT I HAVE TO SEE GOD DAMNIT even though I missed one of them. The girlfriend is not this kind of nerdy but IS a photographer and has found a few events of interest. How many generic tickets should we be looking at? Do a lot of events involve sitting at a table with empty seats and plunking my tickets down like I'm about to lose at blackjack?

Also the bag you linked somewhere in the OP goes to a Page Not Found. Off World Designs or whatever.

https://www.offworlddesigns.com/gen-con-2017-laptop-bag/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Recap:

2012 Ale of Destiny - Belgian dark ale
2013 Flagon Slayer - Braggot (mead+beer)
2014 Froth of Khan - Brown ale (coffee)
2015 Drink on and Prosper - American blonde ale
2016 20-Sided Rye - Rye (Roggenbier)
2017 Dragon's Delight - Belgian golden ale

Can we go back to some more interesting varietels? I understand quaff-ability is pretty important in August heat, maybe a shandy next year? We could even name it Grapefruit Jungle Meeple or whatever.

No shandy. Not since the incident.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how groverhaus fit into this.

This is a Sesame Street Grover thing, isn't it?

For the uninitiated, groverlunch is as follows:

I had a very good idea, to grab a bunch of goons and go have a nice lunch at Harry and Izzy's. I had six people. Given goons propensity for showing up to things, I called ahead and got a table for eight.

Ten showed up.

Then two more.

Then two more.

As I'm apologizing to the waitress as hard as I can and we are just generally taking up space for quite a while. I may have also threatened to exile anyone who didn't tip well.

As far as how that relates to grover, see groverhaus ( http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys ) an old GBS project whose designs were so awful it was easier to become an engineer and certify his own crapshack than it was to get it up to code.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

After looking up the joke, I bet the fact that the straight man character is a priest is also part of why a humorless self-righteous Jesum would be angry about it.

Though for the record I would never swear that casually in an actual event at an overtly family-friendly convention. So for as much as Tom Basalt... Tom Basalt... Dammit phone. For as much as he can choke on his high horse, he is certainly within his rights to be upset at his dude. Unless that was an adult event in which case yet again go to h*ck Tom.

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What's the details on this? I don't doubt it but I want to know for my own information and piece of mind.

I have watched him say homophobic things to my gay friend and then leave when pressed to defend his lovely stance.

May he be found with a rentboy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I disagree on Total Recall, i found it dull and it didn't bring anything new to the hidden identity formula.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Quarex said the new thread will be up later this week when has time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am happy and sad that the Shot Wednesday discussion now comes up without me to prompt it.

*sniff*

I am become the proud papa.

Ilor posted:

Badge Registration Day +3 and still no new thread?

You disappoint me, Quarex.

He said it's coming soon, had a personal thing. You'd know that if you were

IN GROUPME.

https://groupme.com/join_group/9123611/dMNjpU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

Not like dragonconthe super year round best friends club which gets like 500+ messages an hour

we went skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fellis posted:

use the picture of the priest a lot but everytime you use it, zoom in 10% more on his face

Steamed Hams but it's a Priest at a Gaming Convention.

• Locked thread