Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
uh, dates are off. Its the 17th-20th, are you trying to get everyone to book hotels on the wrong days so you get them all to yourself, Quarex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, it's official. The 50 years of Gen Con Programs project is alive and announced! I hope some of you have fun browsing through what we get out for the project.

----------------------------------------------------
The Temple University Digital Scholarship Center announces the creation of an online database of events for all 50 years of the Gen Con gaming convention. The database will be available for use by the public with an accompanying exhibit site for hosting articles related to the information that is gleaned from the gaming history of the database. The database and exhibit site are expected to go live in July of 2017.

Gen Con, which first took place in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin 1967, has close ties to gaming culture and popular culture. Founded by Gary Gygax, co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons, Gen Con began as a wargaming convention. Following the release of Dungeons and Dragons in 1974, Gen Con expanded to include table top role-playing games; a genre that has heavily influenced the video game industry and popular media. The convention continued to grow expanding to other forms of gaming and an ever larger crowd. The first Gen Con consisted of only a handful of games and people, but has now grown to an annual attendance of more than 60,000 and over 17,000 events.

For this project, DSC staff are digitizing programs from Gen Con’s past. With the programs in digital form, we are able to convert the event information into CSV files for research use and ultimately a publicly searchable database. The event information from most of the programs contains a wealth of information including game descriptions, who ran the games, and game genre. With the events broken down by their different information fields and normalized across the years researchers will be able to apply a variety of digital scholarship techniques, including textual and network analysis, to learn more about how gaming has grown and changed over the years as reflected through Gen Con. Articles and exhibits based on the research performed on the database and on the content of the programs will be made available through the accompanying exhibit site.

For questions regarding this project please email digitalscholarship@temple.edu.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is anyone ever going to post their photos from last year :(

I would if I took any. I ODed on Gen Con last year and learned my limits. I finally tried to do too much by squeezing in both a Blood Bowl tourny and a Dropzone Commander tourny plus the other events. That and the vendor hall finally grew to a size large enough to cause an aneurysm. I don't think I gave myself time to make it fully around to every booth at least once like I usually do.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Though I am already hyperventilating imagining what the vendor hall must be like now that it is even larger. Did they absorb the former trading card area?!?! Ooooh I am so excited

It totally did eat the ccg area and is now unimaginably large. The CCGs are dead, long live the CCgs.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yet I somehow suspect the Auction is still crammed into a space it could easily double

I'm torn on the auction space. On one hand, it deserves something much larger. But the selfish side of me wants to keep it crammed to keep more people out for the better deals for those willing to tough it out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Wow, and I thought my time of 3:41 was bad.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
i'm cautiously optimistic. They are clearly spreading people out more, and the last time I did the hotel lottery (2 years ago) down town rooms didn't peter out until 2:30, so hopefully this stretches them out at least 2 more hours. Anyone who did the lottery last year know how long they lasted then?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't think its the hotel so much as the room. Pretty sure you need a suite or something else larger for more than 4.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Since some people were getting their registration times after 10pm I think you are golden.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They've had a phone transfer system in the past, though I don't know if you would be able to do it day of. I know its possible, but I wouldn't do it unless you already had someone picked out to share with.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Here's hoping the kings hold out at least another 90 minutes!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I was at 3:41 and ended up 12 miles out somewhere. Will have to keep checking back for something downtown hopefully. Was really optomistic the rooms were going to last longer with the new spreadout. Was good they told us all our times a day ahead of time though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think the current system is fine, frankly. I don't know how else they could fairly distribute rooms and I would rather it be through a random number generator like this than button mashing and ping times while hoping the server doesn't crash while you check out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Housing panic is done, let the panic of event registration begin!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone know when they usually dump in the VIG block leftovers? Are we talking a few days or weeks here?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Why not just go to both!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Airport should be fine for most people honestly. I am hoping to snag a downtown room still mainly for my parents who are coming with to spend their 40th wedding anniversary at Gen Con. Its also a lot easier to get into the night life and drinking and such when you're downtown. If I end up not being able to get a downtown room I guess I'll just have to see how that second part of my Gen Con experience goes. Since I'm flying in I won't be driving around regardless, so that helps.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Quarex, I forgot I did take 1 picture at Gen Con last year! Taken at like 2pm on Saturday, I give you GenCon.jpg

Pretty sure he just dropped and passed out right there they way he is sprawled out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So for this gen con project, next month at Gary Con I am going to see if I can interview mike carr. He is the one human being who has been to every gen con there ever has been. I ask you, thread, what questions would you have of such a man?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah I think collapsed giant man by stack of board games beats sprawled out teen for gencon.jpg.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Maybe we saw the same kid? I definitely remember taking one of him.

Fake edit: not that it really matters. The more gen con pics the better!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Though the bathrooms and random people in the dealer hall do have pretty bad stench I think the worst for me has to be the sewer right outside the steak and shake. I swear all the toilets from the ICC dump right to that storm drain and you can see the green cloud of some sort of nasal demon streaming through the vents invading everyone's nostrils within a hundred feet of the thing.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What would you possibly be anteing in a 2nd ed d&d game. Dice? Shaving rights for each others neck beards?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have been to Trade Day and presented there a few times as an educator, so my experience is a bit different. Personally it was a bit lack luster. Presentations were totally hit or miss, and as a presenter it really sucked to get an afternoon slot. Most people went to the morning stuff, but once the lunch break hit almost no one came back and you had a pretty sad audience at whatever you were presenting on.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone know when the vendors do their housing stuff?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Regardless you have a while. Registration isn't until May something.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Uroboros posted:

What are the thoughts on taking kids to GenCon. The wife and I are looking to take the four year old. Will he have a good time, or should his first Con be something more like ComicCon?

From an interview I just did with Margaret Weis if it helps:

Shoemaker: Sticking with that theme, how has your experience as a woman changed at Gen Con?

Weis: There are more women! A lot more women. I remember my first Gen Con at Parkside, I remember seeing a young woman, she was walking down the hall at the college with a DMG in her arm and, like, men, following her. There were very few women attending the convention then. And I think most of us that were there were working for TSR. But there were a few. So yeah, what we're seeing now is more women, a lot more families, and I really like to see that. We see fathers playing games with their daughters, mothers playing games with their sons which is how I introduced my kids, they went to Gen Con the very first year, had a ball. And I think the advent of family day, on Sunday, has been really, really good for Gen Con. I can really see a difference, getting a lot more people on Sunday than we used to. And its families getting in for one price and its great.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think you want to be auction dude. It's Kask's last year and I don't think Frank has many auctions left in him.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There are bad games of all kinds at Gen Con. My worst was when one of the friends I was traveling with had the brilliant idea to sign us all up for a game that ran from 8pm to 8am. We weren't thrilled with that to start, but it became clear pretty quick the GM running the game only had a game running this long, and with a dozen players, so he could get his room paid off for having enough player hours. It was easily the worst roleplaying experience I have ever had with one the DM encouraging one of the players to constantly shoot fire out of his characters cock. Took off pretty quickly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Maybe Nesbit37 knows way more about this than I do though! I only really claim the knowledge of an outside observer who spends far too much time thinking about gaming culture and history.

This is largely speculation because I don't know a ton about the history of Origins, but I can talk about this as to how it relates to the history of Gen Con.

So Origins was born out of some of the gamers backlash of D&D and roleplaying games in general. According to Kask, RPGs were specifically not invited to Origins initially. Looking at my Origins 1 program there definitely was no RPG presence and it was even subtitled the National Wargaming Conference. RPGs, and by extension of the time TSR, were one of the primary driving forces of attendance of Gen Con through the early 90s. If you look at the table numbers for individual games from the early days its kind of crazy, with only maybe 8 or 10 seats available for Diplomacy players but over 300 available to a single game of D&D (with multiple DMs of course). This made Gen Con the show to be at in the 70s and 80s, unless you were a diehard wargamer that hated the RPG scene.

Come the 90s it gets a little more sketchy, but I would attribute it to Adkinson deciding to debut and then mainting a strong presence of Magic at Gen Con. For the more current times, and this is purely speculation, but I would put the growth spike of Gen Con over Origins more about Gen Con's embrace of pop-culture while Origins has, like in the 80s, stuck to their gaming only guns. Their crappy internet presence certainly doesn't help though.

edit: I still need to interview Mudcrabmerchant to get some more insight on the whole cosplay and popculture angle for this project.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2017

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Here is my event, come hear me talk about 50 years of Gen Con history through its programs and what they can teach us about gaming, pop culture, and the con itself.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LLSix posted:

If I want to play some board games at gen-con, do I need to register for events in advance or will there be lots of demo games and other opportunities to try out anything that looks neat? This is my first year at gen con and I'm finding the event list overwhelmingly large.

Personally, sign up for anything that looks fun and make a game time decision if you'll go or not based on how you are finding things. You can return tickets up to 30 minutes before the game for a near full refund so its low risk. There will be tons of demos to be had in the dealer hall from 10-6 every day. After that there will be games a plenty but if you're introverted you might not like asking to join in since they will be more informal.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For those of you that don't like the interface of the official search don't forget you can also use highprogrammer:

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2017.cgi/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Alright, goons, which one of you made this event a necessity?

"" posted:

Title:Consent & Cuddles

Short Description:Physical touch provides an excellent workshop tool for practicing how to give, deny, & revoke consent – and how to manage your feelings when others do those things in relation to you.

Long Description:Consent is a popular topic of discussion, and there’s some reason to believe it’s not well understood throughout popular culture. Physical touch provides an excellent workshop tool for practicing how to give, deny, and revoke consent – and how to manage your feelings when others do those things in relation to you. We’ll take a very “training wheels” approach in the session, and then those who consent will have some time to cuddle with each other. Physical contact with others is not required for participation. No sexual interaction will be allowed during the workshop.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Hobocon is... interesting. They start off all for it but clearly get very tired of their experiment after day 1. If nothing else its a good time capsule of what it was like to attend Gen Con in 2008.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LLSix posted:

What are the True Dungeon Events like? I'm tempted to give one a try, but $62 a ticket is too much to spend blind.

Its worth doing at least once. Think of it as a haunted house only where you play quasi D&D inside. A lot of how good it is depends on the group you run with so if you can plan ahead and either go with friends or people that have run several times before.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Exmond posted:

Bunch of goons in the groupme are organizing to do a run twice. From what i have heard its like an escape room, only good if you do it with goons and you can ignore the price.

Eh, more like 7 mini-escape the rooms if some of them were shuffleboard and the others puzzles.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have any events they highly recommend you try and get into this year? My overall list is pretty light other than the 50th anniversary special stuff. I think I may actually take Gen Con kind of easy this year, do my talk, get in a little D&D and a round of True Dungeon and then just chill for once.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes Nesbit37 I WILL BE AT YOUR PANEL WOOOoOoOoO

Yay! I am surprised, my panel is only one of two to sell out in the initial rush. I had no idea people wanted to know so much about Gen Con's event history. I better get cracking on that prezi :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I hardly got into anything but its ok, I'm going with my parents this year for their 40th anniversary and they got into most of what they wanted so I am happy for that. My only regret is not being able to get 3 true dungeon tickets to be able to do a run together.

• Locked thread