Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If anyone wants more videos to watch this series from last year has been getting me extra pumped:

day 0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hNjhDzTjdA
day1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5C3nInErZ4
day2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLVeGXz70lI
day3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcnqUJtVbFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You definitely don't have to have an event ticket to have a good time. With that much time I would mostly recommend checking out the exhibit hall all of Friday and spend the rest of the time just playing games with your friends.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So I just found out Ill be getting into the exhibit hall an hour early. Are there any must get games this year? Im kind of excited about Dragonfire, but most of what is on the BGG preview list I am luke warm to. I havent really thought about it till yesterday though since previously i wasnt expecting to get into the hall till Thursday afternoon when all that stuff will probably be gone already.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah if your gencon requires a spreadsheet you have too many events and too few beers

Not really. I mean, even if I had only 1 event the whole con I would probably make a spreadsheet for it. Anxiety for the win.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
From hot box pizza, for anyone who wants to poo poo gold and make the toilets sparkle.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Had a blast as always at Gen Con! If any of you were at any of the retrospective panels I would love feedback on them. Also, what were your thoughts on the museum?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The retrospective panel videos are planned to go up but I don't know where or when yet. Peter Adkison is editing them all, they had multiple cameras at each of them so I am not sure how they are going to end up exactly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are we going to keep this as the perpetual Gen Con Thread or start a fresh one for 2018. Can never start too early, its less than a year to the next one!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

Having lived in Milwaukee while Gen Con was there I can say that it doesn't feel like a vacation. Gen Con was definitely fun and I enjoyed it a lot, but it feels more special and vacation like now that I have to fly to get to it. Curious to see how it goes with Pax Unplugged this year since I live in Philly and will be either biking or taking the trolley there each day.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Someone actually made a Pax unplugged groupmen in the Pax unplugged thread. I think its only got like 3 goons in it at the moment but I am sure that will grow.

https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oh joy a Quarex date! Hanging out on Wednesday (or Thursday for that matter since things don't really get going till Friday apparently?) is cool. I live in West Philly just like good old Fresh Prince, but that's only 15 minutes from Center City by bike, and I work about 10 minutes north of Center City by bike. The preferred, and more suicidal, method of travel in a city where no one obeys any traffic laws. Only reason I'll probably be taking the trolley for PAX Unplugged is because I don't want to worry about biking with a bunch of board games and RPG books should I lose self control and buy all of the things.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh oops right, this is not Gen-Con, I meant Thursday. Hope you make it without dying on your bike! But yeah I totally think a trolley is the wrong decision too.

Maybe we can hit up the Colts Grille

There is actually a bar under the convention center right across from Reading Terminal Market that is pretty much an equivalent for Colts Grille. Its called the Field House and is one of the larger bars in Center City. I've never been to it myself since there are many other (significantly smaller) craft beer bars in the area I prefer to a giant sports bar, but if there is going to be a group of goons invading a place it would probably be a good one for it just because of the size and location.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is a super early announcement for Gen Con 2018 but I just found out I will have a booth in the exhibitor hall this coming year! I am very excited, and also terrified. I figure it's never too early to get these things on people's radars hence this post. The booth is for a resource management/worker placement game about bees that I am going to publish via crowdfunding next fall. I am also going to be pushing the https://www.best50yearsingaming.com project. I'll be posting about the board game on SA periodically, but if you feel so inclined please do check it out early and share with friends.

Join the Bee Lives newsletter: http://eepurl.com/db5CYL

View our webpage: http://hitemwithashoe.com/

Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/beelivesgame/

Follow our Twitter: https://twitter.com/beelivesgame

Follow our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/beelivesgame/

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

SirPhoebos posted:

So what's the disadvantage of skipping the lottery system to get a hotel room?

Cost. Way more expensive than in the block for a downtown room.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

clockworkjoe posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room to use as a private gaming space? I want to organize a bunch of games and events for fans of my podcasts. I don't want them to be official events because I want to choose who gets to play. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

A group of friends from New Jersey does this every year at Gen Con. They just reserve some tiny conference room in one of the hotels and its theirs 24 hours a day for all of Gen Con. I have no idea what this costs, and there are like 20+ of them to split the cost so I don't know if that means it works out to be super cheap or its that expensive it needs that many of them. By tiny it's still big enough for like 4 tables of gaming, but small enough Gen Con doesn't care about it, apparently.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Philthy posted:

Thought there were crazy cancellation fees to stop this.

Its $50 to cancel a reserved room. The only other fee would be the badge, but assuming you are going regardless of the room you get that is moot.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This is going to be a weird Gen Con. I'll be getting in on Tuesday and leaving Monday, and then will be doing a presentation at Trade Day for educators and running a booth all week. Looking forward to it but wondering how much this experience change is going to impact how I look at Gen Con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am really curious to see if the no-room trade policy impacts the hotel lottery death day or not this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thats exactly what it does.

http://www.gencon.com/attend/housing_travel/housing_terms_service

Gen Con Housing Page posted:

10.Room Assignment Management. Room assignments are unique and personal to the Gen Con account holder who purchased the badge and requested the assignment. Room assignments cannot be transferred, traded, or otherwise re-assigned among Gen Con accounts, and room assignments connected to one Gen Con account will remain associated with the account until housing registration closes or the room assignment is cancelled.

Also:

someone at gencon posted:

Account holders who find themselves unable to attend the convention can modify their room assignment to designate a friend or family member as the primary guest for their room assignment. With cardholder consent, they can also put the primary guest’s credit card on file to secure the assignment and pay the hotel deposit after housing registration ends; but the account holder retains the ability to modify or cancel the room assignment at-will and remains liable for the Terms of Service and any declined credit card transactions. If a room assignment is cancelled and the credit card on file is declined for any reason, the account holder remains responsible for settlement as required to keep their account in good standing. Accounts that fall out of good standing will lose their housing eligibility as described under the Terms of Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Back from Dice Tower Con! I was awake the last 24 hours of the con straight and just crashed for hours when I got home. Overall it was a good con and very good for the Bee game, but here are more of my thoughts on it.

DTC feels very much like the polar opposite of Gary Con. They are both roughly 3000 people in size. They both focus heavily on one gaming type, rpgs for GC and board games for DTC. They are also both held in resorts of somewhat ill-repute, since GC is at the old Playboy Resort in Lake Geneva and DTC is at just a generic resort full of people in skimpy swimsuits that are constantly at the giant pool in the center of the place that you MUST walk through evertime you want to go anywhere in the resort. They both also feature "celebrities" in their respective category of games as a major draw, with GC having virtually everyone still alive that had anything to do with the creation of D&D from the 70s to 1998, and DTC having most of the DTC main people and contributors for board games.

Thats where the similarities end. For instance, GC gives their attendees free all you can drink beer for 2 hours twice during their convention. DTC says you will be banned for life if you drink in the convention center (never mind the resort is full of bars). DTC also bans cosplay because it is too provocative (never mind the resort being full of almost naked people around the pool all the time), and well, GC doesn't really care about cosplay but its fine with it. DTC also, at least as it is written in their program, strictly enforces the 6-2-1 rule (or a life banning perhaps?), which is a little odd to me. I mean, everyone suggests you should do that, but the way its written is really odd and almost militant.

Overall if you like playing board games and doing nothing else DTC is great. They have a huge game library that has constant turnover, and the main thing to at the con is just check out games and either play them, learn them or teach them. They have a huge ballroom that fits like 1500 people just for playing games that is open 24 hours a day and it is almost always full. In fact, that is 90% of the con as there are only 2 other things to do at the con itself (you can always leave and go to Disney or something if you want). The first is go to any of the numerous live recordings of DTC shows they normally just do in their homes but are doing at the show instead. So, meh, and also not happening all the time. The only other thing going on is the exhibit hall, which is essentially a giant booth for Cool Stuff and maybe another dozen "vendors" mostly just demoing their games.

So thats my thoughts on DTC. I did have fun, but I don't know if I would go back unless I either wanted to pair it with a Disney vacation or was promoting another board game. Only about 3 weeks till Gen Con now, still the bestest con of them all!

• Locked thread