Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I got 12:15pm!

Naturally I'm a local who's going to commute in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Haystack posted:

I got 12:15pm!

Naturally I'm a local who's going to commute in.

Thinking about it, would it be possible for me to reserve a room and then transfer it to some deserving goon? At bare minimum, I could just reserve the room and cancel it at some prearranged time.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

Hey,

I also got an early time, but not as early as yours (12:42pm). I don't need the reservation (as I already have one), but could someone explain to me how I'd make it for someone else without running the risk of being on the hook for hundreds of dollars that I don't need to spend to hold the room and (hopefully) get reimbursed?

The most you'd be on the hook for is 50 bucks. See the housing overview for details.

From the looks of it, the process is:
  1. Go to the housing page
  2. Click the "Make Reservation" link
  3. Click "Go To Housing Portal."
  4. Find and sign up for a hotel. This apparently requires a valid credit card with an expiration date later than the convention, but nothing is charged until August 1
  5. You can later change the reservation details to another guest, who will be on the hook for everything

The credit card thing makes it a bit tricky. I'm not 100% sure what the safest way to go about transferring the room would be. Probably calling them (at 800-529-EXPO).

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm not saying they should, just adding to the sentiment that this is less about them finding a better system to give people equal access to rooms and more a system to lessen traffic on their end.

It's an arbitrary and lovely system and instead of being hosed over by my ping I'm being hosed over by RNG. If you didn't get access within the first 2 and half hours, you're going to be pushing F5 until August or hope they open up more blocks after the VIGs throw down the scraps from their ivory tower.

And the alternative would be... what now?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If anyone is interested in a free badge & swag, Chaosium is seeking people to run Call of Cthulu and/or nuRunequest games at Gencon.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The military museum is entertaining. All the weapons are combat ready too as of last year so it's a good place to go when society falls apart in some cinema apocalypse.

Plus the shrine up top is pretty breathtaking.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Well, you clearly did a great job then

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's also parkwiz, which definitely lets you come and go.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You need to have your picks wishlisted and then press a button at noon today.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Someone compiled the list of the most underserved games at Gencon this year. I'm surprised that CoC still tops the list, given that a ton of additional games got added this year.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I need to do at least one more interview for this Gen Con project and I need someone who has been going for a few years mainly for cosplay type stuff. I was hoping to interview Mudcrab Merchant for this (and still totally will if she can) but I know she's been really busy and scheduling hasn't worked very well. Any of you here know someone suitable or know of someone in the general Gen Con community I should reach out to that might be good for this?

Try contacting folks from And Sewing is Half the Battle. It's the most active cosplay group in the region, as far as I know.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's honestly no reason to buy anything at Gencon that you can't get at your FLGS unless it's a crazy good deal, which is rare, or exclusive to GenCon, which is also rare.

The big exception being if you want to get something signed.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, one of my top gencon moments was getting my Guide to Glorantha signed by all the authors and the cover artist.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I will never reveal the Gen Con secret.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

What's the email?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thankfully the lines have been incredibly fast the last few years. I don't think I've stood in one for more than 30 minutes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Moriatti posted:

What's the best way to get to downtown anyways? I've got some early (I think earliest is 8AM) events scheduled, how is the traffic/are the Will Call lines?

Where are you coming in from?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

CellBlock posted:

Newsletter just announced that BADGES ARE GONE! (4-day badge registration is over; single-day badges will remain available while supplies last. No badges will be sold on-site.)

The rumor I've heard is that they've sold about 75k uniques. For reference, last year's was 60,819.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm set for events this year, but I still like trawling through the database and seeing what interesting games are still available. Here's the ones that caught my eye:
  • GUMSHOE: Goonies vs a vampire, maybe!
  • Paranoia 2e: Some sort of crazy Ultraviolet contest from gecon 1990! Literally the only RPG event I’ve ever seen that requires Some Experience! Possible catpiss!
  • Red Markets: Steal Elvis from zombies, capitalist pigdog!
  • Questlandia: be a filthy storygamer! I think it’s a well-regarded system! Maybe! Not my problem!
  • Unknown Armies: Holy gently caress an open UA game goddamnit why do I gotta have a schedule conflict
  • Night’s Black Agents: Vampire on a boat vroom vroom!
  • Luchador: haha, it’s funny because the luchadors are already wearing masks
  • Dramasystem: Escape to Witch Mountain, but backwards and you have to provide your own mediocre child acting.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 27, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

It's never too early to start slammin vitamin C supplements in a hopeless effort to ward off con crud!

Zinc supplements apparently work a wonder.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How worried should I be about parking? I'm driving to and from the event on all the days. Are there ample garages? What kind of dosh are we looking at here?

I've always used Parkwiz and just reserved a spot somewhere. Everything that's left is a bit of a walk (or a shuttle ride), but knowing in advance where you're parking is worth it imo.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Alright, so at least according to the groupme, nothing has been settled about a Wednesday meetup. If so, I'm going to suggest the Rathskeller

Pros:
  • It's got a bar, a beergarden, and a restaurant
  • The food is pretty good
  • The building is rad as gently caress
  • It shouldn't be too crowed
Cons:
  • It's like a mile walk from the convention center

What'dya all think?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

Is there a way to get a day by day schedule of the events you signed up for at gen con?

I could put my events into a spreadsheet, but I'm looking for something more automated (to double check my spreadsheet against since its been months since I picked events).

I mean, I usually just copy/paste the table on the user home page

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Haystack posted:

I've always used Parkwiz and just reserved a spot somewhere. Everything that's left is a bit of a walk (or a shuttle ride), but knowing in advance where you're parking is worth it imo.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I saw it in one of the big long rpg booths. I think in isle 2000 somewhere.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Dhaba Indy is legit excellent and does not have a poo poo can afaik. It's also like a 30 minute drive from downtown so, uhh, that kind of has zero relevance on 95% of you :shrug:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

So I couldn't find anyone to go with me to that rpg so I skipped it. This turned out to be a good decision because the game was run by an organization called ConTessa which is "dedicated to increasing diverse representation by running events led entirely by marginalized people...we provide open, inclusive, and safe environments that diversify what a leader looks like in our hobby" (https://www.contessa.rocks)

That is really awesome! It's also a terrible thing to goonrush with a bunch of cis het dudes. So it all turned out for the best!

This post was a bit of a roller coaster, let me tell you

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ken and Robin talk about Gencon

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

How old? Breastfed or bottle?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

I mean they also drastically increased the amount of con space with the stadium. It'll be interesting to see if the increased attendance from last year's anniversary falls off or maintains. Last year was the first year they sold out right?

Yeah, it was the first sell out. They've been coy with the actual numbers, though, so there's speculation that they capped attendance at 2016 levels. Maybe due to fire marshall concerns, maybe for some other reason.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Dorstein posted:

Forgot about the Westin. Thanks!

Is the JW attached? I remember having to go outside, same as the Omni. Is there some kinda tunnel or something?

JW is attached. This has the full list of skywalk attached hotels

edit: And this is a map of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I am fairly confident that if the con didn't happen Shot Wednesday would still occur

Every day is Shot Wednesday if you try hard enough.

• Locked thread