Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I've bought all the crap I had on my shopping list, but I still have a nagging feeling that I'm missing out on lots of cool poo poo. Is there anything really super extra great in the exhibit hall I should look at and/or buy? If it helps, I like rad-looking miniatures and board games that don't take too long to play (30-60 minutes is ideal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

First time ever, and I felt pretty overwhelmed the first two days.

Next year I'll have a much better idea what to do.

This is my fourth year, but I totally agree. My first year was pretty stressful and confusing because I had no idea what to expect. Nowadays, I feel like I have a decent system down for managing the complexity. The only real problem I had is that I only had time to get my costume ready OR my minis, and I chose the costume (I was a Monarch henchman for part of Saturday). Next year, I'm going to try to procrastinate less and get my minis done, or at least done enough for transport.

One thing I find really helpful is putting all my events into my Google calendar so I can see at a glance what's coming up. It's also a good visual aid to help you figure out if you overcommitted.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you didn't play Super Robo Rally, I can understand why you'd be underwhelmed. Super Robo Rally is consistently the highlight of my Gen Cons. I played it three times this year, and the 2 hour long session was probably the best game of Robo Rally I've had in my life.

I'm sure there are other great events but I haven't encountered any that hold a candle to Super Robo Rally.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

No Chill La Chill, I don't think you'll find a Campaign for North Africa event at Gen Con. However, you can play the National Security Decision Making game; Fight in the Skies, the only game to be at every single Gen Con; and "mega games" with like 30+ players. And motherfucking Super Robo Rally, which is just Robo Rally except you control Lego Mindstorms robots with cell phones.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

In all seriousness I can see why someone might not get as much out of Gen Con their first time. I was horrifically unprepared my first time, but then it was also the first gaming convention I'd been to aside from one or two times at GW's (which was kinda lame looking back on it). It's easy to miss out on the stuff you like when you don't know how to find it in the first place.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

CaptainRat posted:

A Phil Foglio joint.

Great now i see phil foglio art in my brain

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Do not buy the Robotech game. Please. Do not encourage Palladium.

I've heard the game is ok but nothing special; however, the real problem is that they've basically scammed everyone from their Kickstarter. It's been over 4 years and people still haven't gotten half their stuff (they should have gotten everything like 3 years ago). Also, the models have too many pieces and the worst gaps I've seen on a model.

(I didn't put any money into it but I've been fascinated by how bad it is for a while now.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

OB_Juan posted:

Haha, I've had a love/hate thing with Palladium for maybe 20 years now. Rifts was the second RPG I ever played. I'd heard the Kickstarter was a poo poo show, but I didn't know people didn't have their stuff yet. It's been in stores for a little while now.

They have the Wave 1 stuff, but Wave 2 (which is a lot) hasn't even had the sprues designed yet. Palladium is already saying that they won't be done until 2018 (but I wouldn't hold my breath for that either).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

Holy poo poo really? It's been literally months since last I checked in on that shitshow, and they're still miles from production? Goddamn.

I decided to check it out today, and now they're doing biweekly updates. So far they posted a single 3D render and said they found a "promising" company to do production (as I understand it, that company will do a lot of the sprue design). So the only real progress in like 2+ years(?) is one render, which took them over 3 weeks to post after the guy updating the Kickstarter said he'd post some renders. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that they spent those 3 weeks doing the 3D modeling. :tinfoil:

Ok I'll stop talking about Palladium now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Thanks for the reminder. I managed to grab a room two blocks from the convention center, although I had to split it into two reservations (at the same hotel). Hoping for skywalk access again from the lottery but at least we have a backup now.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah, nerd 1%ers can always make connected hotels work for Gen-Con; probably even nerd 5%ers!

Yup, poo poo ain't cheap, but skywalk access this year basically has me spoiled. I can't go back. I won't. Especially when dealing with cosplay crap (even though I'm basically just the cosplay assistant).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

djfooboo posted:

110 for three full awesome days that I look forward to all year is pretty good in my eyes.

Technically, it's $110 for the opportunity to pay more for events and products. Not that that stopped me from getting my tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd love to get VIG. Maybe one of these years...

• Locked thread