Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Oh poo poo, Gen Con thread!

Anyway, I don't really have anything to add yet since Gen Con is (or at least feels like) a million years away, but there is a Primanti Bros. in Indianapolis now. If you like big sandwiches with french fries on them, that's a good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

It totally did eat the ccg area and is now unimaginably large. The CCGs are dead, long live the CCgs.

Yeah, last year, the CCGs were all in the corner of the main gaming hall. In general, it was fine (and definitely better for the exhibitor hall), but it did make it utterly impossible for Pastimes to effectively announce things in their corner since they couldn't just tap into the PA system or whatever.

Basically, Pastimes is butt, is what I'm getting at.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

And it looks like the Gen Con Housing Clusterfuck of the Year 2017 is... availability of double rooms!

Yes, I've got access to the portal, and rooms are reasonably plentiful, but it's Kings only everywhere. Booked one anyway with the hope to exchange/upgrade it later, but Gen Con housing's creativity in being lovely strikes again.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

There are downtown hotels left (or at least, there's one), you just have to search for any room and not just rooms that sleep 4.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

This is definitely a way for them to reduce server loads instead of investing in better servers.

Why invest in better servers (which are probably just co-located, anyway) when there's one day a year where there's any appreciable load? (I guess two; event reg day also drives a lot of traffic.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, I was spoiled the past couple of years getting easy access to doubles in connected hotels. This year will be a challenge, you just have to not freak out too much and make backup plans. (My group ended up booking something at an Embassy Suites like 12 miles away, but it's a queen/queen/sofa room that sleeps 6, so one way or another, we'll at least have some crash space. We usually drive to Indy, so we'll have cars, and the room is a lot cheaper, so there's leftover money for Uber or whatever.)

VIG leftovers will open, people will consolidate/cancel, and everyone will still get to go to Gen Con.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

8one6 posted:

Memorial Day weekend for event sign-up. Sunday at Noon (eastern I think)

And the catalog usually goes up about a week beforehand.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

WE ALL WANTED TO NUKE ANYTHING.

I wonder what happened after we made that random guy president/vp/sac/joint chiefs all at once

Actually, I got Chairman of the Joint Chiefs because I was Secretary of the Army. (And the President wouldn't authorize me intervening in the labor strikes somewhere in South America.)

I found something called Watch the Skies that sounds a little like NSDM, but with actual board game elements like resource management and stuff. (Basically, aliens are invading Earth; the countries all have to research, fight, negotiate, or whatever to deal with it.) There's one in Falls Church, VA in June that I bought a ticket for, but it sounds like a lot of different cities have a Megagame group that runs it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I wish you luck because I'm sure the reservation system is going to be just as bad as the room reservation system.

It's not as bad; the wishlist system is kind of nice, but I don't think they do the random time lottery, so it becomes a race to hit the button. Some events just have tons of demand and/or not enough supply, like Novus Ordo Seclorum/You Too Can Cthulhu games.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Despite having pretty much no wait when I submitted, I missed all the YTCC events. I did get into that goon-run Trail of Cthulhu game, though, so I'll at least have some small dose of Eldritch nonsense. And my Saturday is completely free at the moment. I might peruse the list later for stuff to fill in there.

I did get a session of Millennium Blades with the expansion (the only session in the database that I saw) and a session of CrossTalk (being billed as this year's Codenames). My session is pretty much first thing Thursday (ok, it's 11 AM, so I can watch the opening stampede and mosey over), so if it's good, I'll see if I can buy it and it can be our drunken party game of choice for the weekend.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

For a brief moment today, the Hyatt Regency popped up today

poo poo, the Hyatt?!

but it was gone the second I selected it.

Awww

I've got a King room at the Hyatt, looking for a Double/Double. (Preferably, more than one, but I'll take one for now.) If a King is good enough for you, I'll keep you in mind if/when I'm ever able to upgrade.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Rahdo Runs Through is pretty great for actually learning how a game works. The dude is pretty frantic sometimes, but he'll basically walk you through a few turns of a game, then cut the video and if you want a longer bit, the extended cut will have that, and then he'll do final thoughts as a separate clip. (And he has a friend annotate the video with all the mistakes he makes, so you can turn on a close captioning channel that points out when he says something dumb.)

It's not really a review, but it's tough to watch a guy play a game and not get a good feel of whether he likes it or not.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

You kind of have to teach Space Alert in character. It comes with a separate rulebook that's written like that.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Artemis is fine, but they seem to charge a lot for their events (and the software is free, so if your friends want to play, you may as well just all get a copy and play at someone's house or something). (Fake edit: It looks like the Artemis events are mostly $12 for an hour, which is fine. In past years, they had some really expensive sessions where there were costumes and stuff.)

Deviant is talking about when we played Horizon, and I was the comms person, basically harassing space movers and taunting enemies (and possibly swiping right on space tinder). We managed to hit a planet.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Deviant posted:

It jumped out in front of us.

As comms guy, I can confirm that it was, in fact, radio silent.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I'm having a hard time getting hyped because my group still hasn't gotten our hotel rooms figured out. Also, work is really busy right now, so I haven't really had the chance to think about all the stuff I'm going to do at Gen Con. (I also didn't get any event tickets at all on Saturday, but that's not really a big problem; I can browse the catalog or just do some games on demand or something.)

I do have a session of CrossTalk early on Thursday, so if it's as good as Codenames, I'll see if I can buy it and it can be our late night party game.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Newsletter just announced that BADGES ARE GONE! (4-day badge registration is over; single-day badges will remain available while supplies last. No badges will be sold on-site.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I don't really recall anyone coming around checking badges (other than at entryways and such as mentioned), but I believe that, technically, GMs are supposed to be checking badges for everyone who presents a ticket. It's definitely hit-or-miss, because rarely would you even see someone wander in without a badge and try to get into an event. (Maybe that's more at the RPGs and stuff that tend to be in the hotels instead of the convention center.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Especially for last year's adventure where one npc drags you through the majority of the run the volunteer quality really has an effect. I'd enjoy it if they started setting professional/dedicated NPCs instead, or increasing the volunteer reward system.

Like a lot of things at Gen Con, the volunteer rewards for TD really emphasize volunteering for the whole con. For TD, you can volunteer for one shift, where you basically get nothing (you just get a token), or you can volunteer part time (two shifts) to get your badge comped, a special token, a t-shirt, and up to $100 depending on your role. If you go full time (29 hours throughout the con) you get a hotel room, too, and the cash part is between $100 and $250.

The comp for Magic judges is pretty similar (although I hear it's less this year - I didn't look into it), where 1 shift gets you a badge and a little cash; 3-4 shifts gets you a bunch of money and a hotel room.

Obviously, they want people that are committed, but, in my opinion, there are a ton of people who are going to be at the con anyway who would absolutely do one shift if they moved the comp around. It's not worth it at all to sign up for one shift, and if you actually want to do con stuff, you can't sign up full time. I would probably be willing to learn how to be a TD combat DM or whatever (it's one of the higher paying roles), but not just for a special token.

(And I kind of like the slider-combat, but I just really like shuffleboard. I totally get how it's not really all that immersive, though. Stuff like the skill checks for spell casting are pretty cool, though. I'd be all about TD if it was a little cheaper.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I am exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat that is willing to try almost anything. I do have a few systems in mind that I'd want to try, at least.

In that case, do what I do and just search by time/game type once you've got the stuff you absolutely have to do already booked. Like, "Hmm, I don't have anything at all on Friday afternoon. Maybe there's a good RPG running then?"

Another option is to browse by game/system and just click on anything that sounds interesting and see when it's happening. (I do that for board games; the problem there is that good euro games all start to sound kind of the same after a while. They're all named after cities in Italy or explorers and stuff. "Oh, you brought Magellan! I like that; it's the one we played a few weeks ago, right?" "No, that was Vasco da Gama.")

You definitely need some kind of parameter to start narrowing the field down, though, even if it's just "I think I'd rather play a card game in that time slot."

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, Werewolf is ok. I usually get in a game or two during Gen Con. (I didn't this year.)

Now, if they had a set up like that for Resistance/Avalon - holy poo poo they could have all my tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I've been connected every Gen Con except this year, and Circle Center wasn't a terrible walk. (I'm usually in the Hyatt, which is towards that side, anyway.)

If the weather hadn't cooperated as well as it did, though, it would have been poo poo. I think it only rained once, after I was already in the ICC, and it wasn't super hot.

• Locked thread