Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

nesbit37 posted:

They've had a phone transfer system in the past, though I don't know if you would be able to do it day of. I know its possible, but I wouldn't do it unless you already had someone picked out to share with.

Yeah I did this last year. It was pretty easy. If person A wants to transfer their room to person B, first person A calls the listed housing number, explains what they want, and gives the name of person B.

Then person B calls, mentions the name of person A, gives the GenCon housing service a credit card, gets a confirmation, and is good to go. Person A is totally off the hook for that room. Last year, there was no fee for transferring rooms and you could do it until around June.

Granted, that was last year, but I don't know why they would change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I mean, I'm personally frustrated because their page said this:

quote:

Attendees should not be discouraged by a later starting time than in prior years, as the process will be intentionally paced differently in 2017.

and

quote:

Attendees again should note that with this new process, access to the Housing Portal will be spread out over a longer span of time during the opening of Housing Registration than in past years. For instance, downtown housing still should be available after 2 pm (Eastern).

Which implied that there were releasing downtown hotels in a staggered fashion throughout the day. But that seems not to have been the case at all, since most people are reporting that they were completely gone by about 2:30.

By 3:05 PM (or 2:34 PM, going by someone else in the thread), it was airport only. At least with the old system I knew I was screwed with a later time slot instead of being assured otherwise.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
The thing about the auction that confused me is that I don't think you have to print out separate store tags for the items that don't sell in the auction. But I feel like I should do that as I am bundling up all my books and stuff.

Also I highly recommend selling stuff in the auction, I cleared out years' worth of White Wolf stuff from my house and helped pay for GenCon in the process.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Don't use Amazon. The prices are so inflated as to be unusable.

Use eBay instead, and stick to sold listings for a reasonable idea. I generally figure out the recent average price for the book and then price accordingly.

On Thursday, I list it for the average plus a couple bucks. There's no shipping, after all, and productive buyers get to look at the item in person, unlike eBay. Friday I list it for about the eBay average. And Saturday I drop it a few bucks below and/or the minimum I'd want.

For RPG books, I've found it's not really worth putting them in the auction unless they're fairly rare. (That is often reflected by a $35+ average price on eBay or if you know it's something with a small print run).

I know I probably overthink it, but this has worked well for me and is far more than you'd ever get from Half Price Books.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 5, 2017

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

8one6 posted:

SeaFall was sold out 5 minutes after those doors opened for early entry because they only brought 10 copies. I mean, I'm sorry that you didn't get to flip it on eBay for $500 and had to wait two months for it, but that poo poo's on pladhat. FFG deliberately makes the launch time of a Gen Con release noon to eliminate any potential VIG/Tradeday sell out.

This is a weird idea, but he might have wanted to play it.

I do buy stuff at GenCon, but it's mostly RPG books I want to get signed. Pelgrane Press enables me by doing a 4 for 3 deal most years, plus no shipping! And I got X-Risks for Eclipse Phase way before it was otherwise available (in print, the pdf had been out) and got most of the authors to sign it, too.

For board games and other stuff I agree, but it's not like GenCon is cheap to start with and some people enjoy picking up cool stuff they see at the con.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

So judging from today's email it looks like gencon is not happy with folks camping hotel rooms.

It's just a reminder of the existing policy. That's been the policy for at least the last two years.

If they really wanted to clamp down on people camping hotel rooms, they'd either change how registration is done or institute a cost for transferring a room.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I have some questions about the auction! I've had great luck selling RPG books in the past, but is it pretty good for video games too?

Also, do they mention the reserve when describing items in the auction? I have an older PS1 game that I'd rather not sell too cheap, but I'm concerned about setting the reserve price too high to start.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes and no. What kind of video games are you looking to unload? I can tell you as someone who specifically hunts for computer games at the Auction Store (and even Auction, though they rarely get put on the stage it seems) that every year there are big stacks of games for systems from Intellivision to XBox One when I first look at the stock on Thursday morning, and by Saturday evening it is basically just down to things priced way too high or things too boring for even retrogaming people like me to care about.

But, for example, I think I have bought 95% of all MS-DOS-era PC games sold at Gen-Con between 2006 and today, and it seems there are definitely other people there who go specifically to grow their collections quickly.

Thus unless you are trying to bilk some suckers into buying your crap at high prices, you should do well.

Reserves get mentioned 9 times out of 10 through the phrase "there is a reserve," and then they usually start the bidding at a normal low price to build people up. You do run the risk of the game falling on deaf ears as there is no dedicated video game segment (T.O.V.A. is certainly a place people like to spend money, though, so it is not all bad) and depending on the cult nature of the game it might be that nobody in the audience at that moment knows what it is.

Thanks! This is super helpful. Of the games I was thinking, it would be 95% old playstation RPGs (stuff like Suikoden), maybe a couple more recent games like the Last Story for Wii. The PS1 games would probably be most interesting to video game collectors. Mostly I'd like to sell them off without dealing with the hassle of eBay and shipping to be honest.

Rad Valtar posted:

I love just going and relaxing in the auction during the slots that interest me. I have no intention of bidding but it's a good place to just relax for an hour or so.

I agree! It's like the dealer room but not nearly so over-stimulating. I really like wandering through the consignment store, not so much because I'm going to buy but to see the cool variety of stuff that people have brought.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Texibus posted:

So no lanyard came with my badge this year... what the fuzz.

You should have got one. I did, at least with the four day badge.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

some really good advice

Quarex probably knows more, I dunno. I'm thinking of trying a goofy TOVA idea this year if I can find the time.

I have been doing it for just the last few years as well and I agree with everything here. There's some stuff (for instance, the Vampire the Requiem clanbooks) that I can't find being sold much of anywhere, even Noble Knight, so you have to guess or toss them in the auction and see. In those cases, they're hard to get now but maybe nobody wants them, so I tend to start a little under the original MSRP and discount over the three days.

Whatever you do, don't go on Amazon and get dollar signs in your eyes. The only thing Amazon is really useful for is to see if people can buy a copy of the game new. If so, you're going to want to price cheaper than that, despite whatever you paid for it. But the very inflated used prices on there are pretty useless - those sellers can wait years for someone to bite, but you probably don't want to haul all your stuff back with you.

Finding a way to show people what they're getting is also pretty important. The first year I tried to sell a whole set of Vampire novels but put them in a box. Didn't sell. The next year I wised up and sold them separately (generally better than selling in lots, IMO) so people could fill out their collections and see exactly what they were getting. All of them sold, and the total was more than I had expected for the set together.

In general my fallback is to try and picture myself as the hypothetical buyer. Would I be annoyed at the condition or the price? If so, better knock a few bucks off. I try to price Thursday at, "Well, I'm not paying shipping and I can see what condition it's in". Friday I try to make a reasonable deal and Saturday is the lowest I would let it go for and should feel like an exciting find.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

nesbit37 posted:

Not really. I mean, even if I had only 1 event the whole con I would probably make a spreadsheet for it. Anxiety for the win.

Yep, spreadsheet anxiety buddy. Most of my friends agree with the spreadsheet hatin' crowd but I like being able to visualize everything at a glance. In the past I've also made auction spreadsheets and packing spreadsheets, but I have not done so this year.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I did it this year and got exactly the times I entered when creating the event. That said, I'm not exactly sure how time/rooms are assigned in the bowels of the event schedule.

Also, check if the company who publishes the game is organizing events at the con. Many companies put out a call for GMs starting in February or March and they almost always need more people demoing them. They may reward you for running their game - ArcDream gives booth credit and goodies to hand out, Pelgrane does T-shirts and maybe something else, and Posthuman Studios pays their GMs. However, if you are running the event as a company associated one, you should get in touch with their organizer first. Often they'll even create the event for you, though you may not have as much control over the time in that case.

For myself, I ran a Delta Green event for ArcDream this year and had a blast with it. (Hopefully my players did as well, since I killed all their characters.) It was a breeze on my end and I got a Delta Green raid jacket for free as a result. I would absolutely do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Junkie Disease posted:

Best new games you played at Gencon this year. GO!

I got to play TimeWatch with Kevin Kulp, the game's author. (It wasn't new this year but it's new to me.) It was phenomenal - a great adventure involving comic sans, a great table, and Kevin Kulp runs an excellent con game. I ended up picking up three of the books afterwards. The adventure was the "Font of Wisdom" one from Free RPG day, but it's hard to capture how well the game worked for time hijinks and how well Kevin rolled with the bizarre solution that one of the players came up with.

I got to play 10 Candles as well, which was very cool. I'd run it before but it's extremely helpful to see someone else run something so rules-light and improv heavy.

And I got to play Unknown Armies with Greg Stolze so my con games were all-around awesome. The UA game ended up being much more about personal relationships than earth-shattering monsters and it felt very right. This one also had just a great table of players.

LuiCypher posted:

I managed to playtest/demo two interesting games at Gen Con.

One was Wrestlenomicon, a 2-player card game by Arc Dream - Rob Heinsoo is the designer.

I really liked it. Some of the names for attacks are absurdly silly (Hastur has an attack called 'Say My Name Three Times') but I really like the momentum system (attacks appear on the momentum track in various places according to their 'speed' and further attacks also have a value that allows you to move cards closer to completion) because it feels like a fight. I mean, you're telegraphing the moves of deities the size of buildings and allowing for the opportunity to show a really big attack that you either move slowly or rush to completion, and it's all public knowledge. In addition, the last attack you successfully land can be used against you if your opponent lands an attack that 'punishes' that kind of attack.

It's really cool, and I'm Kickstarting it the moment it goes up. I also really respect Shane Ivey, because he told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable asking for more money in a kickstarter until they deliver the Case Officer's Handbook for Delta Green.

(snip)

Oh man, I was excited for this before I knew Rob Heinsoo was doing the design. Now, even more so. Is it strictly two-player?

Fellis posted:

Oh I also played Red Markets which is a zombie apocalypse RPG which was kickstarted last year and the pdf popped up just a month or so ago.

I know y'all will probably roll your eyes when you see the word 'zombie' followed by 'apocalypse', but Red Markets is actually good and like most good zombie movies, the undead are really not a problem, they just make everything mundane that you do really dangerous. The major enemy in this game (as in real life) is the crushing weight of capitalism and poverty as your PC's struggle to care for their dependants and equipment, and earn enough money to escape the terror of the zombie apocalypse, as there are vast parts of the world that are relatively untouched.

The best thing about the system in my opinion is that they handle crunchy resource tracking in an abstract way that feeds right into the rolling mehanics and even has good decision making attached.

For example, you need to track your PC's bullet usage, but instead of writing down numbers, you just have 10 charges of gun usage. Everytime you make a gun attack, you expend one charge of the gun. If you would like to increase your chances of success, you can expend additional charges before the roll for +1 each. The gun has a refresh cost to pay to get back charges, and each character additionally has a number of free refreshes based on their scavanging skill.

The resolution system is d10 based. Each roll is a positive (black) die minus a negative (red) die. If you roll net positive (in the black) you suceed, net negative (in the red) fails. Modified ties fail and natural ties are criticals (evens = sucess, odd = failure).

Another neat feature is that the GM barely rolls in the game. NPCs are compentent and will auto-hit unless the players spend actions to dodge or otherwise avoid damage. (However even barely trained athletics dodges 50% of the time per resolution mechanics above)

There is a thread on SA here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777241 if you'd like to read more/discuss. I really like the system and I'm really looking forward to the campaign I just started in it. It also makes a fantastic one-shot.

I am also happy to see some buzz for Red Markets. I got to play a game last year and it was a blast. The combat system is one of my favorites - you start with so many health boxes but they can go fast, and it really matters when you start to lose body parts. (In our game last year, it was terrifying when an Archivist dropped a grenade right in the middle of the group, especially when the Latent took a lot of damage.) I didn't think a location based health system could work so smoothly, but Red Markets manages that and the resource management without being ridiculously fiddly.

In addition to the awesome One Shot RM podcast, there's also two full campaigns on Role Playing Public Radio, along with a handful of one shot games. It's a great game and really does what it sets out to do.

Now, I have a question: did anyone actually try the Chill with Bob Ross game? Was it any good?

• Locked thread