Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

nesbit37 posted:

Quarex, I forgot I did take 1 picture at Gen Con last year! Taken at like 2pm on Saturday, I give you GenCon.jpg

Pretty sure he just dropped and passed out right there they way he is sprawled out.

lol this is my pic too, you must have saved it from the Groupme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seriously. They're so bad I won't even pee in them.

I did find a secluded bathroom that was hidden away off of a corner stairwell behind the main hall heading towards Lucas Oil that was usually empty and clean though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pez posted:

What's the worst smell you've experienced at GenCon?

Oh yeah, the intersection in front of Steak & Shake with the literal sewage leak was so bad I literally gagged and a cop laughed

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's very child friendly and the kids really love seeing everyone in costumes and stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can park beside the stadium for $10-$15 a day and it's a 5 minute walk. Never had any trouble there last year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The best gencon experiences are all free: gaming with goons, bringing beer in a hydroflask to wander the vendor hall while getting sloshed, and taking pictures of awkward people passed out in awkward positions. That's my guide to a successful and enjoyable weekend.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A lot products get released much earlier at Gencon than retail, and you can find a few Kickstarter exclusives, but otherwise you're just paying a big premium. The one exception is the CGE booth with the crazy guy that will cut you deals left and right. I think I got 3 Dominion expansions for $40 total last year from him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sionak posted:

It's just a reminder of the existing policy. That's been the policy for at least the last two years.

If they really wanted to clamp down on people camping hotel rooms, they'd either change how registration is done or institute a cost for transferring a room.

It's a pretty pathetic system given how long they've been doing it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone coming down to Dice Tower Con? I live like 20 minutes away and would be happy to game with goons vs the typical Dice Tower audience :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm very good at not punching very punchable people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Moriatti posted:

will I be the only dork?

oh no honey, certainly not

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Last year there was an amazing guy dressed as John Hammond from Jurassic Park. Had the amber walking cane and all. Probably the best cosplay I've ever seen.

EDIT: pretty sure this is him

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Never seen a badge checker except at the exhibitor hall doors. I can't imagine you'd have an issue with a game running past midnight.

Funny related story, I forgot my Dice Tower Con badge yesterday and was never asked or checked for it once. They have no one posted at doors or anything. To the goons that are also here, if anyone wants to play Scythe, Kemet, Keyflower, or Millennium Blades this evening post here and we'll meet up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've been wanting to play Scythe so I'd be down.

Cool, I have a table in the front of Grand Sierra, front row, 5 tables down from the production booth on the little stage in the corner. I'm wearing a dark blue shirt and grey hat, and I have a full beard. Come over any time and we'll get it going.

Edit: Getting dinner now and coming back

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 8, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can confirm, ARB is a clean and quite roommate.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm demoing Flick Em Up each morning but the company got me a badge after event registration. Guess my schedule is beer and goon games every night (just like every year).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just got back from Arches, Canyonlands, and Petrified Forest NPs, doing Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef this fall. Hell yeah nature. Almost as good as board games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So can I knock my balls around on some Picassos or what?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You would know.

Anyone have a Gencon release list yet? I don't know of anything to look out for other than Legend of the 5 Rings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nerds have entirely too much disposable income and too little common sense.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

8one6 posted:

I don't get True Dungeon. I looked at the description and it read like the worst parts of larping and the worst parts of D&D mixed in a trashcan with the collectability of MtG. With it being hella expensive and difficult to get spots for an entire group I just don't see the appeal.

No, you do get it, and you're exactly right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'll be setting up goon games every day Wed-Sun. I'm bringing the following games:

A Feast for Odin
Scythe
Tak
Arcadia Quest
Battlecon
Arkham LCG
Keyflower

and a bunch of small games, plus whatever I find there (mostly looking for out of print stuff like Dominant Species).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is this a thing you just setup wherever you can find room?

Yeah, plenty of room in the gaming hall.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Odin is very much an open playground and much more forgiving than Agricola. Not hard to learn either. Happy to play that and Scythe a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mkultra419 posted:

Anyone have parking tips? Got stuck at an outer ring hotel this year for the first time and the whole Con selling out thing is making me nervous. And I just saw that the Gate 10 deal is also sold out. We should only be driving there and back once a day, so not worried about super accessibility.

Park by the stadium. You can get a weekend pass at most of the lots for $30 or so, which is the cheapest option and it's a 5 minute walk into ICC via the Lucas Oil connector.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellis posted:

It's never too early to start slammin vitamin C supplements in a hopeless effort to ward off con crud!

Speaking of, if I play with someone that sneezes on my board game this year without even attempting to cover their nose I may be banned from the ICC for life. My copy of Kemet took a bleach spray bath last year because of that :argh:

EDIT: It wasn't a goon, you guys are generally a step up from the general audience

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 7, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Almonds, cheese sticks, pork rinds, jerky. Lots of protein, salt, and fatty snacks. That plus plenty of water will keep you feeling satiated and energized. My favorite portable snack/meal is prosciutto and basil wrapped around mozzerella.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's the games I will have with me. Tried to bring a variety of games to accommodate various player counts and length while still fitting in one tote.

A Feast for Odin
Scythe + expansion
Tiny Epic Quest
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Megaman Pixel Tactics
Onitama
Tak
Mint Works
Valley of the Kings Afterlife
7 Wonders Duel + expansion

Also, I'm searching for a few games, some are out of print or hard to find so please give me a heads up if you see the following for sale anywhere:

Akrotiri
Paperback
Targi
Xia Legends of a Drift System
Deep Space D-6
Arboretum (allegedly this reprint will be available)
Gloomhaven (lol)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For anyone in town today, I'm gonna try to organize some games this afternoon/evening.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carteret posted:

You have too many events.

Yeah if your gencon requires a spreadsheet you have too many events and too few beers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Merauder posted:

Snuck away from my booth for a minute to take a look at the Golem Edition of Century, and promptly failed the $70 will save. Wasn't all starry-eyed over the original game, but gently caress me if the Golem Edition isn't gorgeous. No idea if I talked to Bottom Liner at their booth running a demo table or if he sold me the game, or neither. But both were nice dudes.

Enjoying some Haveli for lunch before going back to the wolves.

Hope everyone's week has been rad. Wish I had time for some goon hangs.

Nope not at the booth at all, just took a few photos for them.

We're running Arkham card game's new scenarios this afternoon, room for one still. Post in group me and @me if you wanna join.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

djfooboo posted:

What if I told you Haveli isn't even the best Indian restaurant in town? :aaaaa: The real ethnic places exist in the west suburbs. There is a restaurant that is so Indian people throw shitt paper in a wastebin, not flush it. I kid you not.

But enough about the food, how's the atmosphere?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pro-tip, the Westin is a 5 minute walk from the vendor hall and the skywalk leads straight to the cleanest bathrooms in downtown Indy. Lobby has Wifi and the Starbucks downstairs is a lot less crazy than the JW if you need some coffee.

Since a lot of people are staying in town today, we're setting up games all afternoon in the groupme.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goon game of New Angeles crashing and burning super hard because of ransom demands by Fellis in round three despite there being no federalist (allegedly).

"gently caress you pay me"
"no gently caress you, burn this city to the ground"
"ok."
10 threat track progress

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My first Gencon I tried to plan meticulously and quickly learned by halfway through the first day that it was stressful so I ditched the schedule and just wandered around seeing and doing cool poo poo. If there was ever a lull I'd hit up groupme and play games with goons. Now that's the majority of my time and it makes for a great weekend. I definitely spent more time in the JW than the ICC total this year and it was great.

Things to do when the dealer hall closes or you're bored:

Do the arcade room. It's $6 to get in with generics but the machines are set to free play. Quality varies from year to year but you can always waste at least an hour here.

Watch the auction, especially T.O.V.A and charity portions.

Browse consignment shop for cool and rare garbage.

Eat some good food downtown. Haveli's, Shapiros, the Pittsburg sandwich shop, St. Elmo's, Harry & Izzy's, etc.

Game library to play new things or games you've always wanted to try. It has everything.

Go to the Rio Grande room upstairs from the vendor hall entrance. It's like their own free game library with free refreshments. Hidden gem if you're thirsty and just want to chill.

Browse the event catalog and find open weird things. They have everything from sushi classes to crazy panels on any topic you can imagine.

Read the rule books from your new games while waiting for one of the above.

GroupMe for goon activities.

Do all of the above with beer in a thermos. I had a few each day in the vendor hall. Made the masses much easier to tolerate.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gooncon: Summer with Flavor

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex's avatar isn't a joke.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This man is/was a youth pastor. :thunk:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was pretty good and easily overlooked. I know they had a lot of the Retrospective panels filmed so hopefully it should be available to a wider audience at some point.

Any idea where they post the panel videos? I'd love to watch some. I need to make it a point to go to some next year.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carteret posted:

That's cool and all, but nerdy as gently caress and NO ONE CARES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Actually it's p cool

• Locked thread