Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Philthy posted:

Nah, D&D has some really loving epic moments. That was his.

Also, is the Are You a Werewolf? The new Cards Against Hummanity game? So many people sitting together slapping their legs for hours on end. It was confusing.

It's a good bit older actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The hallway games require a ticket? :lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My Gencon recap I wrote for the board game thread: wasn't really crazy about any of the new big games. I had a shopping list of mostly old games (couldn't find Dominant Species). Signed up for zero events, spent most of the weekend playing games and drinking with friends like every year, and that's always the best choice. Played 3 games of 4 player Feast for Odin which was the highlight for me. Also spent a lot of time watching the auction and enjoying our own Quarex's hijinx there. There was a pretty amazing moment when a set of meteorite die went for $3000 and the winner immediately gave them to the auctioneer Frank Mentzer. They also raised a poo poo ton of money for charity last night, including $3500 to knock down the card castles with Cards Against Humanity matching up to another $1000 when people started throwing the coins. Probably ended up close to $6000 for that alone.

Played a beginner game of Terraforming Mars with 5 players. 2 players had great draws and got a good engine going and really liked the game, 1 person hated the game and dropped on the 4th round, and the other two of us drew poo poo and did nothing. That's Terraforming Mars. By the 6th round, all other players had gotten cheap city tile cards and started building out their board presence whereas I drew nothing but expensive or useless crap, putting me in a huge disadvantage purely by RNG. In fairness, the beginner version of the game is a horrible introduction to the game and the starting corporation identities and drafting variants add a lot of player agency and take away a lot of the giant deck of random cards determining if you get to do anything or not problem.

Clank in Space is a good upgrade from the vanilla version. The variable setup of the map actually goes a long way to making me like the game more. It's still a simple game, but a great alternative for my friends that are really into Star Realms.

Speaking of, Hero Realms with the class specific starter decks is a hilariously broken mess. Played a few rounds and it was easy to end the game in 4-5 turns with good draws. I guess that's fine if you like really quick deckbuilders but at least Star Realms gave you a while to get an engine going before blasting people for 30 damage a turn. Rogue is seemingly the most broken, starting with a lot more money resource in his deck (in a market row deckbuilder) and the ability to steal a card from the opponent's discard pile. Yeah.

Rising Sun was good, definitely better than Blood Rage it rewards really getting into the politics and flavor. With a good group it will be fantastic though. Similar to Blood Rage, I imagine all the Kickstarter expansion crap won't add anything of value to the game so it'll be a good retail purchase if your group likes that type of thing.

The Cool Mini or Not A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game is boring poo poo that looks great.

Star Wars Legion is a pretty neat system and a big gently caress you from FFG to GW. It's going to make them so much drat money, especially if they start doing the terrain stuff.

FFG also claims the Imperial Assault app is "still coming, we promise", but two years is a suspicious amount of time for an app they already have the base code for from Descent. I'm pretty sure it's still in licensing limbo because EA has the app licenses and doesn't want to share.

Legend of the 5 Rings is a really good card game with some of the best art ever. It's a mashup of Game of Thrones and Warhammer Conquest with a ton of flavor and some clever mechanics. They're doing some really interesting things with the community driven aspects and competitive play, really feels like the first "living" card game that goes beyond just the distribution methods.

I didn't get to try the new Civ game yet, but it looks great.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave is a great little two player puzzler. As mentioned a few pages back, it's pretty dry but plays fast and the variable setup from the tiles adds a good bit of replay value. A great addition to our two player lineup.

Secrets is a great social deduction game that combines The Resistance with a reverse Love Letter mechanic. It plays quickly and has a lot of turn to turn strategy and meaningful choices. I'm so over Avalon and Resistance and this is a worthy successor. The main downfall though is that you can get team switched at the last turn, thereby wasting your entire game and work you put into scoring points for your team or hurting enemies. Worst of all, you have no idea if or when your team gets switched. Mechanically that encourages people to discuss information they have and try to work out who's who which you can still do, and the game plays quickly enough that an annoying last second team switch that causes you to be on the losing team isn't too frustrating. The core gameplay mechanic of offering another player 1 of 2 cards (they know the two you have, but you can lie about what you're giving them) is engaging enough to put this at the top of social deductions for me for now.

Arboretum reprint didn't make it in time for this weekend, but the rep said it should be in stores by the end of the month.

I drooled over the Wyrmwood Tak sets, a cool $700 for a gorgeous board and pieces made from exotic woods, but the head of the company was a smug jackass.

I also bought The Colonists and holy poo poo, what a game.

Highlights for me were Gaia Project, New Angeles(with goons), a bunch of Feast for Odin games (also with goons), Secrets, and the new Arkham LCG saga expansion.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 27, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean the games that are literally played in the hallways outside the main halls. Like, beside the convention center doors heading to the JW and such. I always just saw people sitting in circles, I'm pretty sure those are just pickup games (but they definitely do have official Werewolf events too).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You really should have told the story of the punk band if you wanted to sell them on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh man, that would have been hilarious.

We still need to organize the Werewolf sabotage with a mass of goons coming in one at a time and acting like strangers.

• Locked thread