Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Both semi-finals went to PKs, and we almost got an all-reserve final!
Worth noting that Oklahoma City and Swope Park went to 11 rounds of kicks.

paddyboat posted:

The Louisville FC game was awesome, we drank all the beers and sang all the songs and ran the bases with the cup. I hugged several random men in kilts and also one dressed as Santa Claus.
This is not an exaggeration by the way. This is the first game I've seen multiple vendors run out of beer to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The soon-to-be defunct Deltas won their semi-final and are hosting the Soccer Bowl on the 12th. Funny if not sad.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
looks like the deltas sold out kezar stadium for the first and final time

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Congrats and condolences to the Deltas.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
CITEH

*passes out*

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
https://twitter.com/jfaugfx/status/930287546554347520

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I’m glad an MLS reserve team didn’t win

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
They ran out of beer cans and there was only 1 bar in slugger field that had draft beer left at the end of the night.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/856061

quote:

LAS VEGAS – One of the biggest coaching personalities in North America is coming to 2018 USL expansion club Las Vegas Lights FC, which announced on Monday announced José Luis Sánchez Solá had been appointed as the club’s first head coach entering its inaugural season in the USL.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta United is founding a reserve team that will be in USL next year. They'll play their home matches at the Gwinnett Braves baseball stadium. Team name and uniforms haven't been announced yet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
This while stadium deal with FC Cincinnati is terrible... Ugh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
USL News & Notes:

-Whitecaps FC 2 is no more. Fresno will be affiliated with Vancouver.
-The Harrisburg City Islanders are now Penn FC.
-Memphis will have a club in 2019.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FCEdmontonNow/status/934126987026735104

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Looks like the Deltas have officially folded as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Poor Eddies. Hopefully the CPL takes off.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
apparently indy eleven is joining usl for 2018

"indy star posted:

SocTakes reports, "unless unexpected changes occur, Indy Eleven will play its home games at Lucas Oil Stadium in 2018" rather than IUPUI's Carroll Stadium, which it was called home since its inception in 2014.

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 6, 2018

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

awyeahz posted:

apparently indy eleven is joining usl for 2018

good, good, the STLFC-LouCity-'Nati-Indy Eleven matchups should be fierce

(that is, if STLFC finally pulls its head out of its collective rear end and puts a decent team together)

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The NASL is moving to the international calendar in order to "bring another level of excitement to fans and offer greater development opportunities for players and clubs across the country" and definitely not because it only has 4 teams and this is a good way to delay the start date of the season without actually calling it a delay.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that makes an easier OP to write for the next thread, I guess.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Indy Eleven Officially joining USL for 2018 and staying at IUPUI's IU Michael A. Carroll Track & Field and Soccer Stadium

"IBJ posted:

Joining in the USL could give the Eleven a better shot at someday meeting its goal of playing in Major League Soccer. In the meantime, the Eleven could have a MLS affiliation in short order. A number of USL teams serve as MLS farm teams.

“We’ve already been approached by a couple of MLS clubs, and we’re evaluating those [possibilities],” Belskus told IBJ. He declined to say which MLS teams the Eleven have talked to.

With teams still being added this month, the USL has yet to release its 2018 schedule, but Belskus expects the Eleven’s first game to be in mid-March.

The Indy Eleven’s team name, uniform colors and uniform supplier—Adidas—will remain the same, with the exception that the NASL patch will be replaced by a USL patch, Belskus said.

hope we affiliate with the crew

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

this is NPSL, but holy gently caress the FC Columbus logo hahaha

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I didn't know about the large Brazilian contingent in Ohio.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~

https://twitter.com/thrace/status/952987982985875456

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 16, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tormenta FC is the first announced club for USL’s D3 league. Statesboro, Georgia.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Indy Eleven confirmed playing at Lucas Oil for almost every home game in 2018. Probably USOC and some games that conflict with Colts or other events at IUPUI

https://www.ibj.com/articles/67281-...mpaign=leftrail

the city owns lucas oil stadium and is letting the team play rent-free (!) for one year and also the city is covering half of the operating costs for some reason. it's going to be cheaper for the team than playing at IUPUI's stadium of blight. and the ticket prices are staying the same as they were last year in nasl. a massive deal for indy eleven, who currently have 4 players signed to contracts.

ibj posted:

Eleven President Jeff Belskus told IBJ he expects the team's cost to play in Lucas Oil will be similar to that of playing in the antiquated Carroll Stadium. The Eleven were paying a high five-figure to low six-figure sum per game to play at Carroll, Belskus said. And he noted that in Carroll Stadium, the team had to rent things like grandstands and the sound system for each game.

“The cost to rent the grandstands alone was $10,000 a game. Those are obviously in place at Lucas Oil Stadium,” Belskus said. “But utilities were very cheap [at Carroll Stadium]. Obviously utilities will be much, much more expensive at Lucas Oil Stadium.”

“We expect 16,000 for our home opener March 31 against Cincinnati,” Belskus said. “We think our fan base is going to be very excited and FC Cincinnati drew 22,000 per game last year—and they travel—so we expect a number of them will be coming here.”

awyeahz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 30, 2018

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Edward Mass posted:

Tormenta FC is the first announced club for USL’s D3 league. Statesboro, Georgia.

Holy crap, I vaguely remember Statesboro from when I was living outside Savannah. There was Ft. Stewart and....not much else. Any development in 20 years?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Was listening to the Sirius XM soccer channel last night while driving, they were interviewing Rocco Commisso; I was doing so much eye-rolling while listening that I feared my eyes would lock in the back of my skull, causing me to crash my car.

There are some Rowdies fans who like to hate on Bill Edwards, but they should look at the fate of the NY Cosmos and the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, to name two obvious recent examples, and be thankful. Bill Edwards has been an excellent owner in spite of his quirks and faults.

Speaking of Bill Edwards, on Monday it was announced that he was "selling the Rowdies" in a click-baity article, which was later corrected to "looking for additional investors" to get the Rowdies into MLS.

The knives were out amongst the I-hate-Bill-Edwards crowd; this was proof that they had been right all along; the Rowdies should have stayed in NASL; soon the Rowdies would be sold to some fly-by-night operator running the Rowdies on a shoestring budget as Orlando City's USL reserve team to replace the recently defunct Orlando City B, followed decades later by a giant asteroid crashing into the earth to relieve us Rowdies fans of our shame at long last.

When it became clear that Bill Edwards was not trying to sell off the Rowdies, but rather he was talking to "five or six" potential investors interested in taking the Rowdies to MLS, and had hired a financial advisor to help with these negotiations, and that he would like to stay on as a minority Rowdies owner if they get an MLS expansion spot, this was dismissed by the I-hate-Bill-Edwards crowd as just spin to help sell season tickets to the few remaining suckers.

And besides, MLS sucks and ticket prices will go up and our secret little hipster thing in the obscurity of lower league soccer would be ruined and lose its "authenticity" and Bill Edwards would be to blame for that too.

Basically no matter what happens certain people will be unhappy, but if the Bill Edwards and the Rowdies actually succeed they can't say "I told you so" so they have motivation to hope for the worst.

Now, I don't know what our chances are, but with the right investment group, the Rowdies could be back in front of the expansion race. Bill Edwards should have done all of this a year ago or more, but I guess he was still thinking in the MLS 1.0 or MLS 2.0 mindset where his initial proposal would have been viable. We seem to be in the MLS 3.0 era now though and MLS wants not just a single billionaire (or near billionaire), but multi-billionaires, preferably more than one, as new MLS team owners.

The Tampa Bay Area is the largest TV market (#11) without a team, it is four hours drive from Miami, which is a plus, not a minus, making it attractive to both potential MLS investors, and to potential international footballers who might want to play in MLS but who don't find a spot in Beckham's Miami team. IMO.

The Rowdies being a old and well known North American soccer brand doesn't hurt matters, either, and is still a well known name among older soccer people in the USA and in the UK. Speaking of, happy belated 43rd birthday to the Rowdies, yesterday (Tampa Bay Rowdies officially first kicked a soccer ball on Feb. 14, 1975, Valentine's Day).

Finally, the Al Lang Stadium location is still unique for potential MLS SSS: an urban, downtown, waterfront stadium. With more money, they can knock down the old stadium, which is an old concrete baseball stand built in the 1970s and is of no historical significance; the wooden stadium all the famous baseball players played at was torn down long before most of you reading this were born. With the old stands torn down they can reorient the pitch properly and build a nice SSS, something similar to what Orlando City has (which is very nice).
The Rays are also moving to Ybor City in Tampa, if they can secure the financing. It is unlikely but if they get it done quickly it could also open up the Tropicana site for the Rowdies as an alternative to Al Lang.

Also preseason soccer matches have begun.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will make a 2018 USL thread....soon-ish.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
#SaveTheRiverhounds

https://twitter.com/RiverhoundsSC/status/964663662299533312

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's an improvement over the old logo, but that's not saying much.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I get the redesign given how dated the old logo looked, but holy balls there is way too much going on there.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Fort Lauderdale's pitch has seen better days

https://twitter.com/Alyberto9/status/968188483159420929

You'd think that'd been abandoned for eons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/statesman/status/968260342605320193

I'm also going to post the USL 2018 thread later today.

e: And it's up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850449

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 27, 2018

• Locked thread