Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, I did not notice the new 2017 lower league thread! Bumping it up.

In a move that surprised no one, Rowdies 2 in NPSL is now Rowdies U23 in PDL:

quote:

Rowdies U23 to Compete in USL’s Premier Development League

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/753034?referrer_id=2943429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

FC Edmonton - made the playoffs, yet finished next-to-last in attendance, ahead of only Fort Lauderdale (holy gently caress, what happened there?)

Speaking of, what is going on with the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Last I heard PSG were going to buy them and Bill Edwards had some kind of lawsuit, but have not heard anything in a few months. Supposedly they may be able to return for the Fall 2017 season?

quote:

Miami FC - created to poke Beckham in the eye, EXTREMELY Italian

And that poke is proving to be a worthwhile gamble so far, as today, Feb. 5th, marks the 3rd year anniversary of the Beckham/MLS/Miami announcement, and they are no closer to getting an MLS team in Miami than they were three years ago.

quote:

Saint Louis FC - probably going to MLS in 2020, if the stadium is built (Chicago)
Tampa Bay Rowdies - NASL refugees #2

I know no one believes me, but the Tampa Bay Rowdies are also probably going to MLS; and they don't have to ask the taxpayers for money for a stadium either.

quote:

Phoenix Rising FC - get it?!?!?!?

No one liked my clever idea: Phoenix XI. :colbert:

quote:

Below Division II in the US and Canada are the semi-pro leagues, and below that are the amateurs, but no one really talks about those leagues except in rare circumstances, so I'll skip them. If you want to talk about San Diego Zest FC or Toronto Skillz FC and any other Z-based team, be my guest.

There's ah....whataretheycalled....UPSL that announced they are going to have promotion/relegation within their own leagues. There's NPSL which is a sort of alternative to PDL (a U-23 league in USL). Others I can't recall. There's still a league out there that uses the "soccer football" name for the sport, the San Francisco Soccer Football League, established in 1902, and is "the oldest American soccer league in continuous existence":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Soccer_Football_League

There are the two CSL's: Cosmopolitan Soccer League, in New York, and Canadian Soccer League, in Canada (kicked out of CSA for illegal match fixing/gambling).

There's the Canadian Premier League which is supposed to happen in a few years.

awyeahz posted:

Jacksonville Armada - Have an inflatable octopus mascot named Squid Vicious.

Noice.

quote:

New York Cosmos - NASL's newest franchise, founded in January 2017. Planned to build a $400 million stadium at Belmont Park, which there was no public support for. Won the 2016 NASL championship at historic Belson Stadium, which failed to sell out with 2,150 in attendance. Moving to Coney Island's Brooklyn Cyclones baseball stadium. Average attendence: 3,775 (bad).

Cosmos did draw well the first few years at Hofstra. The move to Brooklyn is none too soon, though, as attendance was dropping steadily at Hofstra. Per the previous thread the pitch at MCU may not be too bad given that it is artificial (which is a different kind of bad, though); what really is bad are the viewing angles for the fans. If you Google the setup the Cosmos had at their game at MCU Park last year, it isn't great. It is a baseball stadium where the two stands come together at an acute angle so there's no way to really make the soccer pitch line up correctly with the stands. But still better than playing at a university stadium on Long Island. MCU Park is right next to major public transit lines, and there's no restrictions on beer. :beerpal:

quote:

San Francisco Deltas - Venture capital and Portuguese language social media. Plan to play in a 5000-seat stadium in Golden Gate Park, which has no public parking.

Kezar Stadium, where the 49ers used to play. Much reduced in size after the rebuild. No idea how they managed to have NFL games there back in the day. Also made famous by Dirty Harry. Home of the short lived California Victory.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

Holy moly you weren't kidding about those sight lines:

It is a bit like the setup that the Rowdies (technically "FC Tampa Bay" at the time; thanks a lot you miserable trademark squatters in Texas) had in 2010 at George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa. Fortunately the stands at Al Lang form a right angle so it was easier to put the goal lines and touch lines in proper alignment with the stands at Al Lang.

Another view of Cosmos at MCU Park:

George Steinbrenner Field setup circa 2010:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Happy 42nd birthday Tampa Bay Rowdies (yesterday, Feb. 14th).

NASL wants to play USL for D2 "super cup":

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/sehgal-of-nasl-is-bullish-on-division-ii-super-cup-57845-57845/

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

the loser gets their entire league relegated

We've come full circle from 2010 when USSF forced USL and NASL ("TOA" or not yet NASL) to play as a unified D2 league...only, you know, without the shotgun marriage this time.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've been to precisely 1 Rowdies game, they played the Sounders B-team in the US Open Cup and beat them 1-0. :smug: Hopefully they land the MLS slot, I love that fancy waterfront stadium.

Rowdies beat the Timbers in Soccer Bowl 1975 so you can like us for that too. :v:

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I just realized - both 2016 NASL and USL champions claim New York as their home. THAT would be an intense Super Cup if the Baby Bulls had, you know, people showing up to their games.

Red Bull should have revived the MetroStars name for their B team.

Speaking of:

quote:

The complete list of MLS-USL affiliations, partnerships for 2017

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/15/complete-list-mls-usl-affiliations-partnerships-2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I won't bother look up and post the links, but we have recent chatter about new NASL clubs in Orange County and in San Diego. Also, there is another group in Atlanta planning on making a big announcement soon about new men's and women's teams in Atlanta, presumably NASL and NWSL teams.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

[adjusts shorts]

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

Rowdies win their first home opener since 2012, and against Orlando City.

7,710 in attendance, the most for the new-era Rowdies since their return as "FC Tampa Bay" in their 2010 home opener in Tampa which was a little over 8,000.

Edit: removed some pointless rumors on my part. Some people may have been causing trouble but on the whole things seemed to go fairly well, compared to the last time OCSC played at Al Lang.

Anyway: MLS are you paying attention? You got your equivalent of the next Cascadia rivalry right there in central Florida. Screw Miami. War on I-4 is what you want.

Nice crowd atmosphere and Ralph's Mob tifo, from what I see on social media. Hopefully Bill Edwards and his people are working hard to keep this up over the remaining home games this season. Easy enough to sell out the first game; getting people to come back regularly is harder. Especially when the weather is bad. Or when the weather is good. Florida is weird that way.

Some more....

Nice stadium....

quote:

Best #USL stadium?

RGVFC's HEB Park definitely could be...

https://www.facebook.com/USLSoccer/videos/1352400204842476/

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

awyeahz posted:

The Rowdies bid looks very good and reasonable.

Yes, but not "sexy" so we wait on David Beckham and Miami.

I mean we're almost too reasonable; no government money. If Bill Edwards were asking for taxpayer money Garber would be all over the Tampa Bay Area pimping our bid. See St. Louis for an example of that.

quote:

Meanwhile, here in Eleventown we got ourselves a second kit sponsor!

https://twitter.com/IndyEleven/status/845367055750696960

Turkish Airlines does not operate out of Indianapolis International Airport

Well...that's awkward.

I was at the Revs vs. Loons game at Gillette yesterday and suddenly realized that the Revs shirt sponsor is United Health Care; United Health just so happens to be the reason why the Loons are named Minnesota United and not the Stars or whatever. Hmmm.

I think it means something but not sure what.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Nice rant, but on point, and a nice shout-out to lower league soccer in Florida (though I can faintly hear the St. Pete provincials: "Tampa ain't St. Pete, REEEEEEEEE!"):

quote:

Miami's 'El Clasico' a blatant cash grab and everything that's wrong with American soccer

http://www.phillyvoice.com/miamis-el-clasico-a-blatant-cash-grab-and-everything-thats-wrong-with-american-soccer/

The person going to this game is the type that gets up at seven in the morning to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea at Fado in Center City Philadelphia. He probably has a Theo Walcott jersey that he also wears to the noon pickup game at YSC Sports. This guy is a diehard soccer fan who could give a rat's rear end about the Philadelphia Union and probably thinks that "the MLS sucks."

That's the guy. He comes to the Tuesday night futsal game wearing a Barcelona tracksuit, claims to be a striker, then whiffs on his first shot attempt from five yards out.

The people paying $750 dollars for "El Clasico" tickets are not our friends. They don't care about David Beckham's Miami MLS project. They don't watch MLS, NASL, or USL because domestic soccer "isn't as good" as whatever beIN Sports is showing on Saturday morning.

No one is going to sit here and tell you that MLS is better than the English Premier League, but it's our league, and that's what really matters. And God forbid you actually watch top-level foreign soccer while also supporting the fledgling team down the street.

At a time when dedicated American soccer fans are working at the grassroots level in Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and South Florida in general, 65,000 Eurosnobs will be grossly overpaying for tickets to a friendly, and that's disappointing.

To be fair, though, almost no one actually cares about "David Beckham's Miami MLS project", die hard grass roots lower level soccer fans included, except to the extent that it may impact the team they happen to support.

Also to be fair, these friendlies put cash in the pockets of SUM, which is the same thing as saying that it puts cash in the pockets of MLS, so indirectly the Eurosnobs are supporting MLS without realizing it.

But nice rant anyway.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

So, ah, apparently Phoenix Rising in USL have signed Didier Drogba? Someone should probably look into that... :stare:

Fans in the Tampa Bay Area can help with the "get out the yes vote" campaign in St. Pete...

quote:

Ralph's Mob
11 hrs · Pinellas Park, FL ·

We have been asked to help look for volunteers!

The St. Pete Chamber has a Rowdies Council made up of local businesses who are supporting a "Yes" vote in the upcoming Al Lang Stadium Referendum and the #MLS2StPete effort overall. They're setting up "phone bank parties" to call and educate local voters and help mobilize them to show up at the polls on May 2nd. There are three more dates where YOU can show up to help out – INCLUDING TONIGHT!

If you're looking for a way to get involved in the movement, this is a great opportunity. See the note from the St. Pete Chamber Rowdies Council below:

WE NEED YOUR HELP - UPCOMING PHONE BANK PARTIES

Mail-in ballots will begin arriving to voters this week! Our Chamber PAC has stepped up to host phone bank parties to make sure we can educate voters about this referendum item and ensure they vote YES! Beer and barbeque will be provided...

Please register for as many of the following dates as you can make, and please bring friends and help us to spread the word on social media. If you can't make it, please make sure you get at least one other person to participate.

You can sign up at this link below.

The #MLS2STPETE phone bank parties will be located at the Gulf Shore Bank (965 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33705) and held on:

Wednesday March 29th from 6-9pm
Tuesday April 4th 6-9pm
Wednesday April 5th 6-9pm

https://signup.com/mobileweb/2.0/vspot.html

Tampa Bay Rowdies released a new iphone/android app, which is nice (there was an old one but it has not been updated since 2013), but I only found out about the new app from some chatter on Facebook (which I can't even find anymore; not sure who was talking about it). Nothing about it from the Rowdies; they need to step things up and promote this a bit more. If the app is only known and used by a tiny handful of fans it will be DOA just like the old app.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I'm shocked that the Didier Drogba thing has not gotten more notice or comment. Still wondering if it was an early April Fools joke.

Rowdies have signed Joe Cole to a new extended contract, so he will be with us for a few more years. Good move; Joe Cole has been an excellent signing.

Florida House has passed a silly bill banning public lands use for sports stadiums; no comment yet from the Rowdies or from St. Pete but the bill is unlikely to become law as the Senate is not moving on it and it is unclear whether the law would even apply to the Al Lang Stadium situation, even if it passed the Senate.

Almost a month now until the May 2nd referendum in St. Pete. #MLS2StPete

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

I don't want to bump up last year's thread, so will post this here. This details the rescue of the NY Cosmos and explains that yes someone was looking to buy the Cosmos just for the IP rights:

quote:

A fax away from destruction, Cosmos have new life in NASL under Commisso

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/03/31/rocco-commisso-new-york-cosmos-nasl

But O’Brien, his Saudi partners and the NASL itself were over-extended and as the league teetered on the brink, he was looking to divest. The Cosmos had lost a reported $30 million. Their dream of a stadium and mixed-use development at Belmont Park had been strangled by red tape. Toward the end of last November, about two weeks after it defeated Indy Eleven in the NASL final, the club began furloughing front office staff and releasing players from their contracts. Employees who remained went unpaid. O’Brien was deep into negotiations with GF Capital Management, a New York private equity firm, and had to cut costs. GF Capital, meanwhile, had no interest in fielding a soccer team and wasn’t concerned with the future of the NASL. It was after that punch. It wanted the logo.

. . .

“I was told the Cosmos were having problems and that they were ready to do a deal. Things that I had heard that the team for sure, under either situation, was going to get disbanded. No more Cosmos team,” Commisso said, explaining that O’Brien had a second, unnamed suitor who also was interested only in the brand. “I want to see the name of the Cosmos and its legacy and who they are exist forever.”

By that time, Stover, Savarese and their colleagues had become convinced that identity would return to being two-dimensional. The legacy once again would be packed up and placed in storage. They spent those fitful days trying to find employment for Cosmos players and employees. Savarese has been mentioned as an MLS managerial candidate, but he remained under contract with the Cosmos through 2017 and in December, he felt an obligation to handle as much of the fallout as he could. Stover was forced to preside over a massive staff cut and the real-life pain associated with financial hardship. Post-championship celebration and commemoration was muted. Vendors and contractors wanted to be paid. The holidays were approaching.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

trem_two posted:

There is nothing on the Phoenix website that mentions Drogba at all, so it appears to be just a rumor at this point

It's all over reddit from multiple sources including very reliable (as I understand it from a brief skim) French football sources. And I received multiple google alerts about it from what I have found to be reliable news sources in the past. If it is a hoax it is a very skillful one. No one has issued any denials yet. We shall see.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies top of the east; 3-0-0, 6 goal differential with no goals conceded so far. I'm not used to this success in one of my teams; will take some getting used to and fingers crossed they can keep this up all season.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/usl-standings

I'm liking the USL on Youtube; good way to watch the league with so many teams I wouldn't have a chance to watch otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArhoeRb9_KE

I've just discovered the "You Suck At Cooking" channel on Youtube and now every time I watch the Rowdies TV feed with Mike Pepper I mentally change his name to "pepper pepper pepper". :v:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Azerban posted:

phoenix rising was the name of the place i bought warhammer figurines when i was in grade 7

Just across the street from Mojo Rising.

Possible nice little new stadium for Louisville City FC:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/780556

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

https://streamable.com/bhib3

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/status/855051106178617347

Tampa Bay Rowdies

‏Verified account @TampaBayRowdies

Marcel Schäfer's 🚀 against @fccincinnati landed at #2 in @SportsCenter's Top 10. #SCtop10

🎥: SportsCenter
Marcel Schäfer's Goal in SportsCenter's Top 10