Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were shopping Bishop at the draft, too.

He was working on an extension with Calgary before the trade got scuttled and the Flames moved onto Elliot. Yzerman has been done with him for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chows posted:

gently caress Adam McQuaid

If we're populating this list, please add:

Luca Sbisa
Erik Gudbranson
Brandon Sutter
Philip Larsen
Alex Biega
Michael Chaput
Jack Skille
Jayson Megna
Derek Dorsett
Loui Eriksson

Thanks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Benning gave up a 5th round pick for this guy instead of, I dunno, not bothering?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

Hakstol looks like if you gave Hugh Grant a build your own Mike Babcock set and cheap tools

I've said it before and I'll say it again. His is the face of a man who has killed before and will do so again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

z0331 posted:

My favorite bit from yesterday's game was Pierre's pre-game interview with Carter where he said something like, "a lot of people are talking about this (Caps vs. Kings) as a likely Stanley Cup matchup."

TBF, scraping their way into the playoffs and then casually bowling over heavily favoured opponents in the post-season is the Kings' MO.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

I for one would pay a fair amount of money to watch a game in which noted hockey legend Vladimir Putin has to skate against former pros who don't let him score every time he touches the puck, but only if it is full contact.

Given the current political climate, I think a personally humiliated Putin would be a very bad thing for a number of former Soviet satellite nations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well see all NHLers back then were pylons incapable of playing defense because they were still winded from chain smoking on the bench. So actually Gretzky was a really bad hockey player.

The goalies were spectacularly lovely though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but everyone else got to play against them too, and they didn't put up 200 point seasons.

Oh yeah, Gretzky was fantastic no question but in the mid-80s average save percentage hovered around .875 a full 40 points lower than it is today. It's an imperfect system to be sure, but an era adjusted Gretzky is still #1 in points but by a considerably smaller margin. It's nearly impossible to overstate how much the advent of butterfly goaltending changed the sport.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

NHL should figure out how to get the league average back to .875, make it priority #1.

Cap goalie height/weight at 5'3"/110lbs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

The other question I have is what was the average sog/game back then vs now.

It's essentially unchanged.

Teams averaged 30.0 shots against in 1986/87 which is exactly the same as this year. Average shots against per season have maxed out at 31.0 (1985/86) and bottomed out at 27.3 (1997/98). Goalies were letting in 1 more shot per game though.

League averages by year

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 6, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the goalie for each team should be a dog

You're not going far enough, replace all players with dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xB7YGXXNj8

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

All GMs are good

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

To me the funniest part is that EVERYONE knows that Julien wasn't the problem. The fans, the media, the players, even Sweeney and Neely - but they're not going to fire themselves for putting together a mostly-garbage roster, so instead they do this.

I'm honestly surprised they're doing this now. If things don't turn around mighty quick, the crosshairs are going to turn on Sweeney in short order. If he'd waited until the end of the season, he likely would've bought himself until the end of 2017/18. It's what Benning/Linden are doing with Desjardins. Imply heavily that it's all the coach's fault, but don't fire him until the summer so management's poor decisions can't take the full brunt of the blame. The difference is that Julien is a legitimately good coach. I'd be solidly on board with the Canucks hiring him, and with the Benning connection that's actually quite possible.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Speaking of, I haven't heard Hamilton's name since a couple of weeks into his first season there. Did he recover?

He's quietly had a very good season and according to my Flames' fan friend he's been their 2nd best defenceman as Brodie is terrible now apparently.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

shyduck posted:

One thing that I'll bring up about Ghost is something I heard last week at my local hockey shop, which is one that just happens to be frequented by lots of Flyers alumni. Basically his work ethic sucks. He needed to put on muscle over the offseason but didn't do it. That might give credence to the "behavior problem" aspect. I still think he needs to play though.

Is there a lazier cliche in sports than "bad work ethic" for a young player? It's thrown about constantly, but I can count on one hand the number of times it has been true. In the vast majority of cases the answer is "players improve at different rates and can stagnate for a bit after having some initial success." Assuming that a drop in performance is suddenly the result of too much partying/not being a team guy instead of a natural part of the ups and downs of a pro career is just lazy. Not everyone is a Sidney Crosby beep boop never stop working machine.

It's never hardworking young players that call out their teammates. It's the 33 year old journeymen that don't have a great deal of talent and less assurance of a place in the lineup than their more talented peers. Them or old NHLers that are now in their 50s and 60s and wear rose coloured glasses about their playing days while conveniently forgetting the years drinking on the team bus and chasing rear end because they were hard working pros and definitely not rich, young kids enjoying life because kids these days with their snapchat and selfies amirite?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

Honestly this pretty true for most situations in life where old people are involved.

Yup, it boils down to the fact that those with responsibility (generally older) are jealous of the unencumbered nature of those without it (the young and carefree). Placing the expectations of a 53 year old family man on a single 22 year old guy leads to situations where Seguin gets traded for a bundle of soiled rags. People do a hell of a lot of growing up and settling down in their twenties, it just requires a modicum of patience to play out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm not sure how "didn't add muscle" = "poor work ethic"

Didn't DiPi get told to do some thing and all that working out caused his injuries

And Jake Virtanen tried to bulk up and ended up a lot stronger, but way slower and out of shape. I figure team trainers know what they're doing, but "just get stronger" isn't especially useful. Doubly so when a player has already had success at a previous weight and are used to playing at it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

The thing is, with high level athletes, you have to do the work when you're younger, because that's when your body can best handle the physical demands of playing a pro sport. Just about every player on an NHL roster was, at some point, an uber talented superstar manchild dominating little kids...and a lot of those guys flame out at lower levels because they get outworked by equivalent talents who are willing to put in the work as the skill level increases. In this context, 22 years old is kind of ancient...most NHL caliber players have been busting their asses since they were 13, or maybe even younger than that. If you haven't learned to put in the work by 22, that can be a big problem.

Note: I'm not conflating having a good time party boy lifestyle with working your rear end off in the gym and on the ice: these are different matters. I'd expect a millionaire in his early 20s to have a good drat time, but to still prioritize his profession over his leisure activities. It might be unfair to expect this of teenagers and early 20-somethings, but that's how sports works.

Of course, these are pro-athletes we're talking about. You don't get to the NHL by coasting on talent alone (Kovalev excepted). Players are required to commit full time from the age of 12 Still, Gostisbehere isn't some rookie who dominated junior and is now struggling at the pro level. He's had success in the NHL, some would say a great deal of it. He's having a sophmore slump, but they happen. Nothing has changed from his rookie season in regards to work ethic, training, etc. (or at least we can assume he hasn't suddenly decided to start hanging out at strip clubs and chugging codeine). So why has the team suddenly decided he's not trying hard enough? Why wasn't that identified last year? And if it was, why did the team feel they had to modify a successful formula? Why is it that apparently coasting on talent worked one year, then isn't close to good enough the next?

I just find that mindset odd. High risk, high reward players like Gotisbehere are just that. You have to take the good with the bad, and accept that when they're not dominating offensively they can be a big of a drag. With that said, they're generally a positive asset for their team and you have to let them work through their struggles. What is he learning glued to a seat in the pressbox? He knows he's not doing well, what does crushing his confidence accomplish? He's a classic whipping boy and is being scapegoated for the team's struggles since their winning streak, something he's had very little to do with. His mistakes are more prominent than others, so he gets the short end of the stick when players like Bellemare and Weise who bust their asses are probably a far bigger detriment to the team.

They're damaging their relationship with their best young defenceman just to what, prove a point about hard work? If my boss started criticizing me for every mistake I made and told me what I'd been succesful with in the past was suddenly not good enough, I'd harbour some resentment. Sure as poo poo when contract time came around, I wouldn't be doing management any budgetary favours.

This is a repeat of what happened to Subban and we all know how that ended. If the Habs had treated him with just a bit more tact, they'd probably still have him and likely could've paid him far less than they ultimately did. It's such a strange policy to me. Play hardball and penny pinch with the guys that don't matter so much, not the nucleus of your defence.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is the problem with Therrien? Aside from last year (which Price missed most of) his point percentage in his 2nd stint with the Habs hasn't been below .610 for the season. Is there some major malfunction that I'm missing? Sure he seems to play favourites, sideline youngsters and harbour grudges, but what coach doesn't do that? Who would be a better replacement than him?

I feel like he's a decent to good coach that has perhaps had the benefit of coaching the Habs through a positive period in their history, but overall hasn't done anything to actively harm the team in a significant way. I get that Emelin sucks, but Babcock still gives Polak a regular shift and AV can't get enough of Dan Girardi and they're widely regarded as the best there is. Every coach has their big tough crap defencemen they can't stop salivating over.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Capitals became just the 2nd team in NHL history to score 5 or more goals in 10 straight home games last night. The last time they didn't score 5 at home was on New Year's Day.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's gonna be super depressing when the Pens beat them in the 2nd round again this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/829824416754364418

Tim Murray is an odd man

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canucks losing to Bruins backup goaltending is even more evidence that they're a garbage team.

They weren't lacking in evidence in the first place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Brent Burns is fuckin' ridiculous and I might just give him the Hart right now. I dunno what Crosby is doing is quite impressive too so it's hard to pick. That's my story.

Burns has been excellent offensively but Green was as impressive or moreso in his 30 goal season and he didn't even get the Norris. They play basically exactly the same fourth forward role. Other than Burns not breaking out until thirty, I don't see what he's doing as being so much more outstanding than what Green or even Karlsson has done at their best.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Quote is not edit

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Not saying that perception is accurate, but that's how a lot of people in the hockey world think.

I don't get this at all. Burns essentially plays as a forward and gets most of his points off the rush. He's not a two-way guy. Hell, he was a forward until he was 19 and has played several seasons as a right winger including a couple years ago with the Sharks.

I don't see how he's any different from Karlsson. A talented offensive defenceman no doubt, but Karlsson put up basically identical totals (82pts in 82 games last year compared to Burns' 59 in 57 so far) and didn't even win the Norris. What is Burns doing differently that makes him not only a run away Norris winner, but also a Hart trophy candidate this year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

They probably both deserved consideration tbh. It was harder for Karlsson because Kane had such an outrageous year. Burns is a lot closer to winning the Ross than Karlsson even though comparatively their seasons are similar.

What Karlsson did last year may have even been more impressive considering he logged almost 29 minutes a night.

Yeah, Karlsson was as good or better and apparently that didn't even warrant serious Norris consideration. Karlsson finished 9th in Hart trophy voting last year for arguably as good a season. Burns is not doing anything especially unusual or outlandish, and even considering him for the Hart trophy would be pretty much unprecedented post-lockout. No defenceman has been a Hart trophy finalist since before the cancelled season, and no one has finished above 8th since Lidstrom was 4th in 07/08.

If Burns was on pace to smash records or something then fine, but he's essentially at the same level as several other players in the last few years. Give him the Norris, he deserves it no question. I have no idea how he's the guy who's apparently going to buck the trend and be the first Hart trophy winning defenceman since Pronger 17 years ago.

e: to be clear, the Hart trophy has been awarded to two defencemen since Hitler died. Bobby Orr (3 times) and Pronger. I just don't feel like Brent Burns should be added to that list.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

As for the Hart, there's also no Kane blowing away everyone else. Currently McDavid is in the league lead but is under 90 point pace, so they won't necessarily default to forward, especially if Burns is basically right there. And if Burns falls off the pace or the Sharks go on a big losing streak than we'll hear rumblings about the Norris.

Crosby has a 1.25ppg (103 point pace over 82) and should be the slam dunk winner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

AND PK already chased the money when he got Montreal to sign him to the biggest cap hit for a defenseman in the NHL and second richest contract for a defenseman in the NHL (the first being, of course, Shea Weber).

I still love that Goldblum playing hardball with Subban and insisting he sign a bridge deal back in 2012 cost Geoff Molson and co. in the neighbourhood of $30-40M of extra cash over the following decade. Subban asked for 5 years at $5M per or 6 years at $6M per then, but Goldblum got all tough and ornery and refused to sign him long term and now they're saddled with Shea Weber and an angry fanbase until several seasons after the heat death of the universe.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

The CBA expires after the 2011-22 season, and both the Habs and Preds are going to get out of the recapture on Weber's contract.

Not while Brian Burke draws breath

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Burke advocated for the rule both out of fairness and self-redemption, but in this case, neither team really bargained for what they got. The offer sheet itself was intended to circumvent the rules, but it wasn't made by either team. It'll be like the league cutting the Devils new ownership some slack on the Kovalchuk fine.

Yeah, but if they let one slide, they have to let all of them slide and then that means the Canucks are free of Luongo's penalty and Brian Burke made it a personal crusade to ensure that never happens.

Also the CBA technically expires in 2022, but the NHL and NHLPA both have an option to opt out shortly before the 2019 season begins, so expect one of the two to announce their intention to do so just over two years from now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I think both the players and owners probably feel kind of lovely for a guy like Luongo being publicly dicked around for years, and we know all the GMs hated Homer for that. Not sure what other contracts might be affected by this.

Anything over 8 years, so a bunch including:

Sidney Crosby
Shea Weber
Roberto Luongo
Zach Parise
Ryan Suter
Marian Hossa
Duncan Keith
Jonathan Quick
Jeff Carter

and a bunch of others who have already moved on including:

Ilya Bryzgalov
Brad Richards
Vinny Lecavalier
Mike Richards
Christian Ehrhoff
Johan Franzen

You'd have to get a majority of owners to let a handful of teams out of some very dubious contracts that benefited them cap wise while escalating salaries across the league. So yeah, they're here to stay.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 13, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He annoyed the crap out of me back in 2011, but I can't help but love Jack Edwards now. His face adorns my av with pride these days.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Friendly Lurker posted:

What was that site that had video highlights of every players goal and the scoring chance percentage?
I need a new av since my favorite, most anger rousing player neither scores or goons it up these days :confused: I'd really like to see Corey Perry on a good east coast team, I think he and Marchand would make good rivals, and he needs a better line mate than backhand"whoops"pass Getzlaf .

This is all Carlyle's fault. Perry's GPG is half what it is under him than any other coach.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There have been 10 trades involving players to appear in an NHL game this year, not one of them has involved a player who regularly appears in the lineup. The esteemed list is:

Vern Fiddler (43 GP)
Tommy Wingels (42 GP)
Nikita Nesterov (41 GP)
Logan Shaw (37 GP)
Nail Yakupov (31 GP)
Mike Condon (31 GP)
Cody McLeod (31 GP)
Peter Holland (27 GP)
Michael Sgarbossa (27 GP)
Dylan McIlrath (5 GP)
Jonas Enroth (3 GP)
Steve Kampfer (1 GP)

I really wish the NHL would do something to start encouraging more trades, because that is stupid. Trades in the NBA are just as complicated, and yet they've had a bunch of big deals so far. Being able to trade cap space was supposed to improve things, but if anything they've got worse. The Hall/Larsson and Subban/Weber trades were entertaining as hell and surely the NHL must see that they're great for the sport? Constant excuses from GMs and an abject lack of noteworthy player movement is just a needless way to bleed entertainment from a sport already desperately short on casual fans.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Mike Condon has played like, 60% of the Senator's games this year though.

Yeah I take that back, there's one split time starter who was acquired as a temporary replacement and a pair 4th liners in Tommy Wingels and Vern Fiddler. Excitement!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

Expansion draft might be an influence too, this year. Also every team thinks they can make the playoffs.

That's just the excuse du jour though. A few seasons ago it was "uncertainty about the lockout," or "with the cap staying static..." With an expansion draft coming teams have a chance to get creative and sellers can probably cash in on some top of standings teams looking to offload some superfluous guys. Each team is going to lose exactly one player, it shouldn't be that big of a concern unless you're in the situation where you're so loaded with talent you have to expose a can't miss top line guy. Whether or not you have to expose Eric Fehr shouldn't paralyze you from making any trades at all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FHire Therrien

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Luca Sbisa makes me laugh every time I watch this video

It's funny how what makes one man laugh can make another weep tears of pure anguish.

e:

Also that is not even the most egregious example of the "fall over and slide into no man's land" strategy the Canucks have employed this year. I present Erik Gudbranson and Nikita Tryamkin's masterpiece from back in November:

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

To add to everyone's least favourite list, Mike Comrie is the NHL's latest accused rapist.

quote:

Law enforcement sources tell us the woman claims she met up with Comrie at a bar Saturday night and went back to his West L.A. condo. She claims he raped her multiple times.
The woman says she almost immediately went to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center nearby, and a rape kit was administered.
Sources connected with Comrie say he's known the woman for a long time and acknowledges he had sex with her, but insists she gave full consent. The sources also say the encounter was a 3-way and the other woman has not filed any complaint.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/15/mike-comrie-investigated-rape/

• Locked thread